Looking for new choke tubes

PDA

Wildyams
March 29, 2012, 03:55 PM
I've been shooting trap for the past few months, just a round every now and then, but am looking at getting more serious into it over the summer.

I'm not ready to go out and spend $1000+ on a new gun yet. I want to get decent with my current shotgun (Benelli Supernova)

I'm looking at the Briley chokes. What I'm really curious about is whether the ported chokes are worth the extra money? Especially since I mainly just shoot singles.

It looks like its about a $20 difference for the porting.

I could either get one of the fancy spectrum ported ones or two of the standard extended chokes.

What are your opinions on ported chokes?

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for new choke tubes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
oneounceload
March 29, 2012, 04:19 PM
Ported chokes are one of the biggest gimmicks ever foisted upon the shooting public. If you already have a M for 16 and a IM or F for 27, you are good to go.

The ports do NOTHING except get dirty and make a mess to clean. Save your money for more ammo and targets and maybe a lesson or three if needed.

If you really want to get another choke, a standard one for your gun from Briley or similar will do just fine. Until you pattern it with your ammo in your gun, you will not know exactly the performance of it

BTW, for trap, $1,000 for a new dedicated trap gun is way on the low end of the price range - for that you might luck into a used BT-99 - the Ford F-150s of trap guns

Good luck, welcome to a fun addiction, but realize this - dedicated trap guns will have thousands to tens of thousands of dollars more in target and ammo costs shot through them than the gun itself costs. IF you become serious, you will want to get one designed to go the distance

hAkron
March 30, 2012, 12:26 AM
I've been shooting trap for a few months and my inexpensive CZ 910 semi, and my Mossberg 500, and my Stoger STF 3000 all will get the job done. There are BEAUTIFUL dedicated trap guns out there with triggers alone that cost more than my 3 shotguns combined that will get the job done with style...but you asked about choke tubes...ported are probably not worth the extra money. Extended are NICE because you can tighten or swap them by hand, quickly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Looking for new choke tubes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!