astra model 1924 "hope"

PDA

r8rfan121
March 29, 2012, 07:49 PM
Hey, I just got handed down an astra model 1924 from my father. He got it from my Grandfather, and had been told that there may possibly be a hairline crack on the barrel, I took it to a local gunsmith who took a brief look at it and declared it safe to fire. I decided to look a little closer and think I may have found the crack. My question is, should I leave it alone and keep it as a curio or have it fixed? and is there any way to "fix" it without replacing the whole barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "astra model 1924 "hope"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
No. There's no way to fix it. If it is a crack, keep it for the sentimental value.

MikeJackmin
March 29, 2012, 08:01 PM
Are you sure it's a crack, or just a scratch?

r8rfan121
March 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Im not certain it is a crack, just looks like one to my untrained eye under a magnifying glass. runs length wise with the barrel, starting at the....err....mouth? where the round loads, running across the top maybe an inch. I will say that it is fairly close to where the slide would ride, and is in a fairly straight line

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
March 30, 2012, 01:13 AM
If you're able to post pics we could help better. Also if you are able to disassemble the pistol to check the underside of the slide to make sure.

MikeJackmin
March 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
The part where the bullet goes in is called the chamber.

If it's a crack that goes all the way through, do you see it when looking inside the chamber? Might need to clean it out good before you can see it.

If you enjoyed reading about "astra model 1924 "hope"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!