Who Will Have Your Firearms When You Are Gone?

PDA

the iron horse
March 29, 2012, 08:34 PM
I know, it's not a pleasant thought, but we will all kick the bucket one day.

Have you made provisions in your will on who will inherit your
firearms?

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Will Have Your Firearms When You Are Gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pat M
March 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
When my arthritic shoulder can no longer handle recoil, and I am too weak to hold steady with a full-size handgun, I'll sell them off one-at-a-time to finance my retirement.

SharpsDressedMan
March 29, 2012, 08:40 PM
Probably most will go to you guys on THR after my wife or daughter figure out that they can sell them on the board.:D

bigfatdave
March 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
Mine are to be scattered in Chicago and NYC

bushmaster1313
March 29, 2012, 08:51 PM
I think the NRA should set up a service, based on local FFL's,that will come to a deceased's home and arrange for proper sale on an online auction in return for a 10% cut from the proceeds.

luvmyRugers
March 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
If I need the money, I will sell them as mentioned above. Otherwise, since I am a lefty, my nephew (also lefty) will get all the lefty guns. My daughter will probably get the rest.

SleazyRider
March 29, 2012, 08:58 PM
Good one, Dave!

Liberty1776
March 29, 2012, 09:07 PM
I really like bigfatdave's idea, but I'm siding with PatM. I have three children and have already given them all they want, and have tagged the ones I'm leaving to my grandkids... the rest will be sold, outside of a small handful I'll leave on my survivors to worry about...

xXxplosive
March 29, 2012, 09:11 PM
My 3 sons............

wally
March 29, 2012, 09:21 PM
Since we have no children, what I don't sell off to fund my retirement, are in my will to be donated to the NRA and TSRA, whom I assume will sell to raise funds.

Flintknapper
March 29, 2012, 09:27 PM
Mine (along with all reloading supplies and sundry items) will go to my Daughter.

mcdonl
March 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
My family supports me when I buy them they can have them when they are gone. If I outlive my wife and kids, well, thats a tradgedy that makes what to do with some stupid plastic, wood and steel pointless.

longknife12
March 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
I've already divided with my 2 kids, kept a couple of rifles/shotguns and hand guns. Both are grown n gone. What I kept I use. Just seamed like the easiest way to handle it.( I'm not leaving for a few years)LOL
Dan;)

Steve CT
March 29, 2012, 09:33 PM
My son will see to it that they get into the right hands.

hso
March 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
My daughter and some friends.

bigdogpete
March 29, 2012, 09:35 PM
My daughter, son and son-in-law have their eyes on mine.

Lee D
March 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
guns and hunting are a tradition in my family and they will be passed down to members who are worthy...the ones who will treasure them, take care of them properly, and NEVER sell them unless they have no other choice. i dont want mine auctioned off, or to end up at the pawn shop before im even in the ground.

Bubbles
March 29, 2012, 09:43 PM
If my daughter is not yet 18 then everything goes into a trust for her benefit, and a guardian and backup for her have been selected.

Once she turns 18 I'll have to change my Will.

paintballdude902
March 29, 2012, 09:46 PM
since all of my nieces and nephews are too young to have them unless one of my sisters wants one of them (a possibility)

right now my will just says to talk to the NRA museum about the flintlocks and cap and call pistols and my civil war era converted flintlock. then ask the family if anyone has any interest (doubt it) then the rest will go to my 2 best friends from high school that ive grown up shooting with.

once i get married that will all change of course.

Shinbone
March 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
I've thought a lot about that. I have a step-son who would certainly appreciate them, but some of mine were my Dad's. He's been gone now over 30 years. I hate to see them leave the family. I'd feel bad about that.

bushmaster1313
March 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
my nephew (also lefty) will get all the lefty guns.

Lefty Guns?

Sauer Grapes
March 29, 2012, 10:08 PM
That is something I'm still trying to figure out.

jeepnik
March 29, 2012, 10:12 PM
Heck, the boys are already trying to figure out who's going to get what. Sheesh, and I ain't even close to dead yet.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
March 29, 2012, 10:24 PM
LMAO! I aint sure I'll even have any left the way these jackals (kids and wife) keep "adopting" them! I guess if there are any left they will go to the kids and grandbabies.

And Flint, if you kick before me, I get the .458 SOCOM damnit! I call DIBBS! :D

imsobored
March 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
Lefty Guns?

Lefty guns, brass ejects on the left side. Theres probably a bit more to it tho

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using tapatalk

jk2008
March 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
My wife, son, and daughters will get most of them. My son-in-law, who I have gotten interested in shooting and C&R firearms will probably get a few. If any others marry into the family before I croak, I might leave something to them if they prove themselves to be worthy.

Swing
March 29, 2012, 11:44 PM
The woman followed by the kidz, in that order. ;)

postalnut25
March 29, 2012, 11:51 PM
I have 5 kids, 1 niece and 1 nephew (plus a wife). So I would imagine that they will all be gone through. All the little ones and the wifey are shooters.

They'll probably argue about getting their favorites, but since I'll be taking a dirt nap they'll have to settle it amongst themselves.

As for Mr. Sharps, when you leave this earth, which I hope isn't for a long time, I will gladly help take some of those pesky guns off your family's hands.

Tomcat47
March 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
On down the line......my 3 sons .... grandkids!

I like sharps idea too....the wife could sell what the kids have not claimed!

But knowing her, she will keep em all!........:D

wrs840
March 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
In the tradition of my dad, who is 80, and my wife's dad, who is 70-something, I hope I might live long enough to hand most of them off to deserving grandkids before I'm gone.

BUCKrub91
March 30, 2012, 12:12 AM
im 21 and have no clue lol... if i ever have children they will get them... if not and I know ahead of time that im gonna die of something I will ask friends/family who are into shooting which one they want

I know one thing I dont want them to end up in a garage sale at an absurdly low price like you see some ladies doing with they're late husbands guns because they don't know what they are worth...

AlexanderA
March 30, 2012, 01:16 AM
I have no idea, since I have no obvious beneficiary that would be interested in the guns, apart from their monetary value. (That includes my wife.) But really, why should I care, since I'll be dead? Often, we think we can control things from the grave. That's neither entirely possible, nor entirely desirable. I'll let Fate and Karma sort things out.

Inebriated
March 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
My kids, if they want them. If I don't have any, or they don't want them, then whoever I think deserves them can have them.

captain awesome
March 30, 2012, 01:56 AM
Hard to say at this point in time. I have no will set up (I'm 26) since it seems a bit early in life to set those things in stone. The only thing my wife likes is my Colt 22 target pistol, and she probably wont care to shoot it any more if I died tomorrow. Most would be sold so she and my 2 year old daughter could have a good amount of money to get by. I do keep an updated list of my firearms and their values just in case. My reloading stuff would go to my dad and two brothers, and probably a couple of the rifles and shot guns. I hope I have more than one child (I'd really like a son) to share them with. I also hope my daughter gets into it more than my wife has. I suddenly have this feeling of loneliness. I don't have anyone close to me that enjoys shooting and guns and can afford too as much as I do. thank goodness for you guys here on THR.

MARKMALL
March 30, 2012, 06:49 AM
when I die all my guns will go to my wife. I assume she would only keep a couple handguns and give the rest to my son and dauther.

frankmako
March 30, 2012, 07:11 AM
my son.

SleazyRider
March 30, 2012, 07:14 AM
Assuming I die from old age, I will give them to my grandkids as soon as they are old enough to be responsible for them. (My own kids have no interest in firearms.) I'm not going to wait until I'm dead or so old that somebody needs to feed me.

josiewales
March 30, 2012, 07:50 AM
Before I am gone I will give them to my children.

crracer_712
March 30, 2012, 09:58 AM
My two sons

stonecutter2
March 30, 2012, 10:03 AM
Ha!

galena
March 30, 2012, 11:21 AM
They will be split between my Son and my Daughter. All except one, my Son has promised that when I go in the ground I will have a revolver in one pocket and a pint of Jim Beam in another. Keep shootin'

Boxhead
March 30, 2012, 12:15 PM
I have three son's that all enjoy shooting and hunting. I suspect they each already have a list.:D

dprice3844444
March 30, 2012, 12:40 PM
just make sure you all have youe estates in living trusts before you get sick and require nursing home use.there is now a 5 year lookback rule on admittance to a nursing home under medicare rules the ref asset protection.

living trust avoids probate

Dmitri Popov
March 30, 2012, 12:49 PM
My wife gets first dibs on most, except for a few that were bought for me by my family. Those are passed on to my brother, and if he for some reason would not want them they are to be passed on to my cousin. I have no children so those plans are pending some unforseen newcomer. lol

stumpers
March 30, 2012, 01:13 PM
My will leaves everything to my son. If he is not 18 at the time of my death, my brother will manage everything for him in the manner I proscribe until my son reaches the appropriate ages for property. That is the plan anyway; I think much can happen with movable property before the will is executed if steps are not taken.

Which leads me to ask: does anyone here have a plan in place to keep things from disappearing once he or she is gone and before the will is executed? i.e. a person dies, and before the executor (or whomever is 'in charge') can secure the house and property the family's black sheep steals heirloom firearms meant for someone else...

mdauben
March 30, 2012, 01:23 PM
I'll be dead then, so I don't really care. :neener:

I imagine that my suriviving relatives will probably just sell them off and pocket the money. :rolleyes:

timhernandez
March 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
My kids have already divided up the contents of our safe. Everyone knows who gets what...

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
I'll probably have them sold and the money donated to a political group such as the NRA-ILA. I'm not married, probably never will be, no kids and I don't speak to my parents or sisters. So I basically don't have a family and probably never will. I'm not really sure what to do with my guns to be honest.

303tom
March 30, 2012, 01:58 PM
My son Jeremy.................

Teachu2
March 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
All my heirloom firearms were stolen 25 years ago. The new stuff is inventoried, and split between my sons, with cash to equalize the value - one has no interest in guns, but likes cash just fine!

4v50 Gary
March 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
I'd like my Civil War guns (all repros) to go to a National Battlefield Park or historical museum where they may be used by interpreters/re enactors to teach with. Ditto for any of my long rifles (all modern made stuff) to some similar institution.

TonyInFla
March 30, 2012, 03:20 PM
I have 3 adult son. they've expressed an interest so my guns will go them

jeepnik
March 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
Lefty Guns?

Things like this.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/GUNS/IMG_0415-1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/GUNS/HANDGUNS12-31-07-0011.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f271/Jeepnik/GUNS/HANDGUNS12-31-07-0027-1.jpg

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

Tangent
March 30, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'm taking them with me. :)
Actually, I figure my soon-to-be stepson (9) will inherit most of my collection. Although, my youngest brother (46) is coveting my latest acquisition... a 1965 Winchester Model 100 .308 rifle.
But, yeah, the boy will get most of them.

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 30, 2012, 06:02 PM
We can see from this post that you are certainly very honest.

Is that sarcasm?

dcarch
March 30, 2012, 06:07 PM
I want to be buried wearing one of them. :D I suppose all the rest will go to my (future) kids and grandkids.

Driftertank
March 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
I'm still in my 20's, unmarried and with no children. Only things of any intrinsic value that i own outright are my guns and my cars. I haven't really put a lot of thought into it, but i should sit down and think it through.

Most of my friends would probably try to claim my Kimber, given the chance. Probably ditto my PTR-91. I should probably decide who gets those, then name my best friend as executor to the disposition of the rest. I'd like to think they could be left to people who would keep them, and use them, and remember me, as opposed to selling them for a quick buck, which is why i wouldn't leave them to my family. My mom and stepfather have all the guns they need, and my brother wouldn't make much use of them, and probably would sell them off in short order.

TennJed
March 30, 2012, 06:35 PM
my wife gets everything. She grew up around guns, but is not what you would call an gun person. She knows her way around them and fore the most part what the values are on them

We have 3 children and she would be in charge of passing them on among them.

If something happens to both of us that responsibility goes to first my father and second to my brother..

PR-NJ
March 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
Ditto, my wife. Half of them are technically hers anyway (from our days in the Peoples Republic of New Jersey).

Ragnar Danneskjold
March 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
Ah well, no need for a PM then. I do strive to be honest. Sorry for misunderstanding you.

SaxonPig
March 30, 2012, 10:26 PM
Who will get my guns? Highest bidder. A few will be bequeathed to friends, the rest (along with everything else) go to the wife who will sell it all.

Should be a Hell of a sale. Too bad I have to miss it.

Deus Machina
March 30, 2012, 10:44 PM
I say it in jest to my friends, but "I smoke, I drink, and I'm licensed to carry a firearm while riding a motorcycle."

So... probably my father. :D

Seriously, he's a tough old cuss. His dad was only taken by self-induced liver problems after it weakened him enough that he could no longer punch the tumors hard enough. My dad doesn't drink and has quit smoking, so he's more likely to go out fighting off a home invasion--probably after I die of old age. And I'm 26.

Failing that, as it is, they're going to my best friend, who had moved across the country. He may not keep all of them, but he knows who would best appreciate them. Since I've done a good job so far of avoiding children and haven't had much luck finding a woman I can stand that has the same point of view in my direction, that's the most likely route.

Grmlin
March 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Well this is the third time this subject has come up for me this month. I guess I better get it it taken care of and put it on paper. The guns I recieved from my dad and the important ones I have aquired will go to my only son. He's still to young but my nephews will recieve a few and hold his in trust untill he's old enough. My 3grandsons/3grandaughters (step) will also get a few and of course the wife will keep a couple she likes.

sedona
March 30, 2012, 10:58 PM
I have 2 young friends in their 20s that will get most of my guns.I also have a couple of left handed benelli montefelltros nib that i may just sell off because i don't know any left handed friends.My looser nephew gets nothing.

Black Butte
March 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
View this video to see the complications that can arise when family members clamor over a decedent's gun collection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCG-wB9opE

Grmlin
March 30, 2012, 11:02 PM
Can I get in on any biding for the lefties?

3KillerBs
March 31, 2012, 09:48 AM
My husband and kids, of course.

For reasons of hand size and trigger reach, most will probably end up in my daughter's hands.

csa77
March 31, 2012, 10:15 AM
nobody in my family realy loves guns they would just end up selling them the day i die. i have no interest in giving them to my family who wont appreciate them the way i do...

90% of my collection are mil surplus rifles and some antiques, those i want to give away one at a time to the younger kids who show the same interest and excitement for the old historical firearms that i had when i was there age.

the new stuff like my AR Ak's and my AUG id like to give them away too but they can go to almost anyone along as i see them at the range alot before hand.that way i know they wont become safe queens.

lastly id like to be buried with my 1911 in my hand.

Old Time Hunter
March 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
I would hope that the ones that hold significant value, either emotional or monetary, that my five children would see to hold on to those.

The rest my wife can sell at her annual rummage sales.

Even though I come from a series of multiple generations that used hunting seasons as the central focus of family get togethers, it seems as though my off spring do not have the same enthusiasm. Two of my boys generally make the effort to join me annually for our deer hunt, but it has been a long time since they came with me on 'yote hunts, bear hunts, elk hunts, turkey hunts, duck hunting, and any other form of hunting I can get involved with. It is a shame too, as along with my firearms, we have a couple of hundred acres of prime forested hunting land that includes a five bedroom/2 bath "hunting" cabin which I built with my own two hands over the past thirty five years. This place is nestled into wilderness type forested land five miles from the nearest paved road with thousands of acres surrounding it to preserve the isolation. Heck, we catch brook trout 30 feet from the deck. Neither my wife, nor my children have shown any interest in continuing the traditions.

As far as my arms collection, there are five guns that have been handed down from generation to generation. Hopefully at least those will be carried forward. There is a 1863 Springfield that my great-great grandfather carried in the Civil War, an 1873 Winchester that he bought in 1882, a 1892 Winchester my great-grandfather purchased new in 1896, an Ithaca side by side .410 that my grandfather received on Christmas morning in 1912, and my father's '94 Winchester .32 Spec he received in November of 1940. Of the remaining ninety or so guns, I would hope they hang on to my first rifle, a Glenfield 30A that I bought with my own paper route money when I was twelve, my two primary hunting rifles (.444 Timber Carbine and .444 Black Shadow), my .44 Mag Trapper ( have harvested 13 whitetail, one Black Bear, and one very large Bull Elk up in the Bitteroots, across the Clark Fork in western Montana), a couple of my Trapdoors hopefully too. The AR's, Ak's, MilSurps, custom bolt guns, and such can be sold at the rummage sale, hopefully to people that have the same enthusiasm as I did.

gym
March 31, 2012, 10:40 AM
As of yet no one, As my family is spread accross the country and none of them shoot, or have an interest in guns. My wife, "if she's still around", and she will sell them, maybe keep one, depending how old she is and if she stays in FL or moves to NY with her son.
Maybe we should start a service that is like a reverse mortgage for guns. Sell them now, and the new owner takes them when you die. Of course they may have a long wait, but if the price was right, "like half", it might work. People sell just about anything, life insurance policys, settlements, houses, why not guns.They sell them for a 50% discount, which would pay for say a 30 yr old who for a thousand,, could get a wilson combat that probablly will doubble again by then.It must work, a heck of a lot of tv commercials for reverse mortgages are on TV. My sister in law, hit it right at the top, and got 200,000, for a 30,000, dollar condo in Del-Rey, now it's worth 30 again ,but she got the cash.

THowie
March 31, 2012, 11:08 AM
The kids...if they want them.

searcher451
March 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
I thought at one time that my son would get them, as we shoot a lot together and he appreciates them all. But my daughter has recently expressed an interest, so I'll have to take a closer look ... a nice problem to have, I think.

gshipps
March 31, 2012, 12:07 PM
With any luck, I hope mine are all worn out and used up by then.

clg114
March 31, 2012, 12:14 PM
My wife will keep her gun,the kids will get the rest. They will just have to figure out who gets what.

Auf Grosser Fahrt
March 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
We have some kind of old shotgun, a sporterized Enfield .303, and a Remington .22 from the '40s that belonged to my father-in-law. My wife's only interest in them is from the sentimental perspective...meaning she doesn't care to touch them, or shoot them, but they were Daddy's, so we keep them.

I've made sure my two daughters have always known they belonged to their Grandpa Jack, whom they never got to know, so they can make an educated choice some day on whether to keep them or ditch them.

My parents had a little Galesi .25 they bought in '66 and kept in their nightstand forever that my girls aren't really conscious of, but I put a note in the box with it explaining whose it was, so, again somebody someday going through stuff can deicide whatever.

Me? My love affair with guns has been a shallow one, with a wide variety moving in and moving out over the years. The only one to stay with me is a Ruger New Model Blackhawk I bought during the Bicenntennial from a dear friend at the time who needed money. It's been in my nightstand for over thirty years. I figure one of my daughters' future husbands will think it's a pretty cool gun and take it someday.

If I had some huge collection of classics, I might care more. :)

armedwalleye
March 31, 2012, 09:02 PM
Sedona,
I'm a little late to the party, but I'm left handed. Can I be your friend?

As for the guns, the southpaw SBE, Browning 7-08 and 7 mag stalker all go to a left handed buddy that'd never be able to afford a left handed gun on his own. My first gun from my Dad goes to the nephew on that side who has no interest, just to keep it in the family. The rest have no plans, but whatever happens.....

DON'T LET MY WIFE SELL THEM FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR 'EM!!!!!:eek:

marv
April 1, 2012, 01:06 AM
Each child will take one (their choice). The rest will be auctioned off. They are my burial fund. Today I watched my auctioneer run $40 bolt action shotguns up to $300.

ArmedOkie
April 1, 2012, 10:28 PM
The enemy.

Shoot66
April 2, 2012, 07:04 AM
Besides my better half I have one girl and three boys. Not to speak about my two younger brothers, on of them a LEO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Will Have Your Firearms When You Are Gone?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!