Why Glock over an XDM?

PDA

KAS1981
March 29, 2012, 10:59 PM
I'm buying a new pistol for my birthday next weekend. Finally!

I've got a couple options. First possibility, what ever 1911 I find that tickles my fancy.

Second option, is a Glock 17. Always figured I should have one in the collection. But, here's the thing. I like virtually everything about the XDm better--fits my hand better, looks cooler (I know, I know), I like that the sights are metal, the magazines are ALL metal, etc etc. What don't I like? It's a little heavier than the Glock.

But for some reason I'm compelled to buy the Glock because......it's a Glock.

Darn, it sure is tough trying to figure out how to blow money...LOL. :banghead: :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Glock over an XDM?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
allaroundhunter
March 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
I like virtually everything about the XDm better--fits my hand better, looks cooler (I know, I know), I like that the sights are metal, the magazines are ALL metal, etc etc.

This should be your deciding factor.

But for some reason I'm compelled to buy the Glock because......it's a Glock.

This is going to talk you out of the better gun for you.

MAJ Mike
March 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
I own a Glock 19, a beloved M1911A1, an HK 45C, and just recently purchased a Springfied XD 45ACP. I'd recommend the XD because of the grip safety. It also shoots great and funstions perfectly.

Aiko492
March 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
I have the XDm 4.5" 9mm as well as Glock 19 and 26 (and an HK USP) In my hand the XDm is much more comfortable and more accurate. However, (without and data-just gut feeling), I would pick one of the Glocks for reliability-my G26 is my EDC. My XDm is my favorite to shoot @ the range though. Happy Birthday!

jackpinesavages
March 30, 2012, 12:00 AM
Choose a Glock over other Polymer guns because;

a. They have been building polymer pistols and weapons since the 80s.

b. The Glock aftermarket support is superior to the others.

c. Glock has the best support customer service available.

d. Buy from a 1st world nation (Austria) that supports jobs in the USA. (Smyrna, Georgia).

e. Why buy from a 3rd world nation (SA's XD facility in Croatia) that supports slave labor, no human rights, and no labor contracts for positive human treatment?

allaroundhunter
March 30, 2012, 12:03 AM
Choose a Glock over other Polymer guns because

....you are missing the most important reason that he shouldn't choose a Glock...

From the OP:
I like virtually everything about the XDm better--fits my hand better

Once you start promoting an opinion instead of relying on what the OP is telling us is when it is no longer "advice"

nater762
March 30, 2012, 12:18 AM
It will out shoot it, and it's not a wanna be!

viking499
March 30, 2012, 12:23 AM
My decision was between Glock and M&P. I went with the M&P because it fit my hand better and had better ergos for me. Fit in my hand was worth it to me.

Kiln
March 30, 2012, 02:48 AM
Both are great as far as reliability and durability go. The XDM feels better to me too, I had a Glock 22 that I got rid of but the XDM .40 is here to stay.

wacki
March 30, 2012, 03:07 AM
Patents expire and people copy materials and production methods over time. Everyone has adopted the tenifer process and high tech polymers. Glock just doesn't have a materials edge anymore. Everyone makes a striker pistol now so they don't have a design edge either. In fact it's kind of silly to say that someone hasn't managed to design a marginally better striker pistol in the 30 years since Glock was invented. This is especially true given the lousy ergonomics of the Glock.

Glock is mostly riding on reputation and the fact that everything is interchangeable which makes them an aftermarket dream world.

If aftermarket parts and "fitting in" is what you want go Glock. But your post makes it sound like the Springfield will be a much better fit for you.

I own a Glock. Do I like it? Yes. I shoot my other pistols a lot more though because they feel better. I also enjoy shooting them a lot more and I seem to shoot better with them.

Am I glad I own the Glock? yes. But if I had to give up a pistol it would be one of the pistols that I shoot the least.

theQman23
March 30, 2012, 03:08 AM
Darn, it sure is tough trying to figure out how to blow money...LOL

I'ts not hard. Not hard at all. Just pay your taxes.:o

Sapper771
March 30, 2012, 04:10 AM
Sounds like the XDm is going to be a better fit for you. The one I had was a pretty good shooter.

I chose Glock over the others because I can easily (fully) disassemble it for thorough cleaning, spring changes, and parts upgrades. No roll pins or gunsmiths to deal with. Like stated above, the after market is huge. I can get new Glock mags for $20,which is slightly cheaper than XDm mags last time I checked. I can change the feel and weight of the trigger with a few inexpensive parts. That's all I can really think of right now.

The Glock is a very good pistol too, as long as one takes the time to train with it.

Inebriated
March 30, 2012, 04:15 AM
Get what fits you.

March 30, 2012, 04:49 AM
Choose what's best for you, and not follow the crowd.

mingansr
March 30, 2012, 05:25 AM
here you go again, j..p..s.. you have already gotten your ass whooped by many soldiers and other knowledgeable and informed and sage highroaders over this BS about the '3rd world Croatia'.

KAS1981, you asked questions about xd over glock, and some answers you got from Maj Mike, Aiko492, Kiln, and others here should give you a good reason to go with what feels right for you. plain and simple. i own an XD 40, and i love it more each time i shoot it. i haven't shot a Glock yet, to be fair and honest. so don't take my word for it.

if you want to read the story re: my initial paragraph here, go to the post

'Springfield XD' by Okiegunner, Mar 10, 2012. you will see a real political fist fight, jackpinesavages against the world, and he lost! i got rather political in there too, i'll admit, but it seems i was backed up by some of our folks who keep us free, without us having to use our guns to defend our liberty. here's the thread for all to read.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=648523

jack pine, you savage, i love ya man, cuz you helped my needy brother sign up for a free C C class this coming saturday. i'm forever in your debt. and in thanks i offered for you to come to my range and warm some barrels. you declined thus far. perhaps you are afraid that you will shoot my xd 40 and drop all your other pistolas for an xd? let all highroaders know that the offer stands. i'll shoot your favorites, and you shoot mine. and afterwards i'll buy you some good beers or whatever you choose to drink. and my brother will be there to personally thank you, and buy you some more.

to thehighroad moderators. this is not a war or personal thing. Kas1981 asked a simple question, so let him be given subjective/objective reply posts to help him in his quandary. as always, let's take the high road!

mingansr
March 30, 2012, 05:31 AM
here you go again, j..p..s.. you have already gotten your ass whooped by many soldiers and other knowledgeable and informed and sage highroaders over this BS about the '3rd world Croatia'.

KAS1981, you asked questions about xd over glock, and some answers you got from Maj Mike, Aiko492, Kiln, and others here should give you a good reason to go with what feels right for you. plain and simple. i own an XD 40, and i love it more each time i shoot it.

if you want to read the story re: my initial paragraph here, go to the post

'Springfield XD' by Okiegunner, Mar 10, 2012. you will see a real political fist fight, jackpinesavages against the world, and he lost! i got rather political in there too, i'll admit, but it seems i was backed up by some of our folks who keep us free, without us having to use our guns to defend our liberty. here's the thread for all to read.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=648523

jack pine, you savage, i love ya man, cuz you helped my needy brother sign up for a free C C class this coming saturday. i'm forever in your debt. and in thanks i offered for you to come to my range and warm some barrels. you declined thus far. perhaps you are afraid that you will shoot my xd 40 and drop all your other pistolas for an xd? let all highroaders know that the offer stands. i'll shoot your favorites, and you shoot mine. and afterwards i'll buy you some good beers or whatever you choose to drink. and my brother will be there to personally thank you, and buy you some more.

to thehighroad moderators. this is not a war or personal thing. Kas1981 asked a simple question, so let him be given subjective/objective reply posts to help him in his quandary. as always, let's take the high road!

GLOOB
March 30, 2012, 05:38 AM
Which one shoots better and is more reliable in your hands? If you can't answer that, then go with the one that looks and feels better. :)

Oh, if you can't fire them for real, at least try the triggers. When you are testing the trigger of a semi-auto, be sure to test the trigger reset. Keep the trigger down while racking the slide. Of course, safety check it and keep it pointed somewhere safe. The Glock trigger reset is one of the things people seem to like a lot. It resets with a crazy positive click nearly at the exact spot where it breaks. Once it resets, you're ready to break the next shot with zero takeup. There's nothing else out there quite like it.

allaroundhunter
March 30, 2012, 05:50 AM
The Glock trigger reset is one of the things people seem to like a lot. It resets with a crazy positive click nearly at the exact spot where it breaks. Once it resets, you're ready to break the next shot with zero takeup.

Even though I prefer my M&P's ergonomics over the Glock's.....the M&P reset does not come close to the Glock's in a stock configuration. I have never shot an XDm, but there aren't many pistols with a stock trigger reset that is better than the Glock's.

777TRUTH
March 30, 2012, 05:57 AM
allaroundhunter gave you sound advice, take heed.

Personally I'd go 1911, but that is just me.

carbonyl
March 30, 2012, 06:02 AM
d. Buy from a 1st world nation (Austria) that supports jobs in the USA. (Smyrna, Georgia).

I was wondering what type of jobs they support in Georgia. Given a choice I'd pick a company that is from the first world nation (USA) and manufactures their guns here. I'm sure Glock is as reliable and well made as they claim to be but I heard stories of how they cornered the law enforcement market. These were just rumors to me until I asked my LEO brother in law why his department went with Glock. He told me they made their range officer an offer he couldn't refuse. Up to this point he carried a S&W that he loved. When I asked him what he thought of the Glock he just said he got use to it.

jackpinesavages
March 30, 2012, 08:48 AM
carbonyl: Glock's U.S. factory is in Smyrna Georgia, where they support American workers.

That's my advice and just one reason per my opinion on buying a Glock, pertaining to the choice the OP mentioned. YMMV.

hAkron
March 30, 2012, 08:54 AM
The Glock is NOT going to fit everybody's hand comfortably! There are many polymer guns at this level. Glock, XD, M&P(off the top of my head, not trying to leave out anybody's favorite)...they all deliver on shootability and reliability, find the one that fits you best and that you like best. It's like a Honda/Toyota/Nissan debate.

ku4hx
March 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
Uh...buy the one you like more? I just did that with a new truck and I think it works for guns too.

ku4hx
March 30, 2012, 09:08 AM
carbonyl: Glock's U.S. factory is in Smyrna Georgia, where they support American workers.

That's my advice and just one reason per my opinion on buying a Glock, pertaining to the choice the OP mentioned. YMMV.

+1 I live about two hours East of them on I-20; I'm really pleased with their customer service. The two times I've actually used it since 1991.

Hk Dan
March 30, 2012, 09:18 AM
Here is my advice:

1) Forget "how it feels". After 25 rounds whatever you pick is going to feel natural and right--you'll get used to whatever you buy. As my dear old German Grossmutti used to say "You get used to hanging if you hang long enough" (she was a charmer) LOL

2) Metal mags are a drawback not an advantage.

3) The XD sits dramatically higher in your hand. The GLOCK will have better, flatter recoil impulses. Accuracy will be similar, and both adequate. Reliability will be similar, and both outstanding.

4) The XD has a grip safety. The most useless thing on a gun since teats on a boar. Even John Browning agreed, and put it on the 1911 because the cavalry insisted on it. I have SEEN shooters at matches draw their XD, and then stand there with the gun pointing at the target sweating bullets and not firing. They might as well have been petting the neighbors dog. They missed the grip safety! And what does the grip safety do for you? Nothing. Most NDs happen on loading and on reholstering. In both cases you'll have a normal firing grip on the gun. Screw the grip safety, it adds complexity for virtually no benefit.

5) The XD trigger has a long mushy pre-travel. It's an SA gun and shouldn't have it. Looking inside the gun, as nearly as I can figure, it has a long mushy pre-travel so it can have a long, mushy pre-travel. It's made that way!

6) The parts are not uniform. If you want to change the sights on a GLOCK, buy the sights and put them on. The dovetails on the Croatian made gun are not uniform and require a gunsmith to fit the sights.

I'd go with a GLOCK or an M&P. Both are vastly better guns.

ku4hx
March 30, 2012, 09:27 AM
Here is my advice:

1) Forget "how it feels". After 25 rounds whatever you pick is going to feel natural and right--you'll get used to whatever you buy.

Careful, that's heresy. Don't you know the purchase of guns and underwear are both based on how they feel?

coalman
March 30, 2012, 02:12 PM
Glock: Cost. Simplicity. Parts. Accessories.

p.s. I've owned XD and Glock. Still have Glock.

mdauben
March 30, 2012, 02:41 PM
I'd recommend the XD because of the grip safety.
This is one reason I would never own an XD. I neither like nor trust grip safeties and find them totally unnecessary on a gun.

ole farmerbuck
March 30, 2012, 02:50 PM

But......Ford has been building cars for a lot longer time and...............:)

tdstout
March 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
Metal mags are a drawback not an advantage

Why? I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but my metal mags for my 1911 have never had a problem.

MikeRussell
March 30, 2012, 02:57 PM

a. They have been building polymer pistols and weapons since the 80s

By that logic, the HK should be chosen, seeing as they did it first. ;)

MikeRussell
March 30, 2012, 03:08 PM
My $0.02, take it as you will...

I've owned Glocks & shot them well. Owned, past tense.
I've owned XDs & shot them well. Owned, past tense.

I own & daily carry a M&P45C.
I just bought & am competing (USPSA Production & Limited divisions) with a XDm 5.25 in .40

For ME, the ergos on the compact M&P are hard to beat. For ME, the balance & feel of the XDm 5.25 is hard to beat for a range/competition pistol (I left my long time CZ75 SP01, one of the best feeling & shooting handguns I've ever owned, for the XDm).

You have to go with what fits YOU best, not what everyone tells you will fit them best (whether actual feel, brand loyalty, personal buyist, etc).

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 30, 2012, 11:19 PM

So? HK has been doing that since the 70s.

c. Glock has the best support customer service available.

Must be why a guy successfully sued them after they failed to fix his Glock 36.

Still spewing that crap about Croatia I see.

e. Why buy from a 3rd world nation (SA's XD facility in Croatia) that supports slave labor, no human rights, and no labor contracts for positive human treatment?

Provide facts that back that up.

This is one reason I would never own an XD. I neither like nor trust grip safeties and find them totally unnecessary on a gun.

It doesn't bother me but I do wish it didn't have one either. One guy's hand was shot in a CCW encounter and he wasn't able to fire off a round which made him think that it malfunctioned and then did a tap, rack, bang and then continued to fire his 1911.

Damon555
March 31, 2012, 12:26 AM
I traded my G19 for an XDM....couldn't be happier. I'll probably never get rid of my G26 though.

Inebriated
March 31, 2012, 01:00 AM
It doesn't bother me but I do wish it didn't have one either. One guy's hand was shot in a CCW encounter and he wasn't able to fire off a round which made him think that it malfunctioned and then did a tap, rack, bang and then continued to fire his 1911.

Saw his thread on Arfcom... it stuck in my mind, so now I always have this weird thing about grip safeties.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 31, 2012, 01:02 AM
Saw his thread on Arfcom... it stuck in my mind, so now I always have this weird thing about grip safeties.

You nailed it. Although I think a 1911's grip safety requires more attention to grip then an XD.

allaroundhunter
March 31, 2012, 01:05 AM
It doesn't bother me but I do wish it didn't have one either. One guy's hand was shot in a CCW encounter and he wasn't able to fire off a round which made him think that it malfunctioned and then did a tap, rack, bang and then continued to fire his 1911.Saw his thread on Arfcom... it stuck in my mind, so now I always have this weird thing about grip safeties.

This is a VERY rare occurrence. I like grip safeties for the added safety measure when using the 1911 platform. However, the reason we are supposed to train with our weak hand is in case our strong hand ever goes down. A bullet through your strong hand can make it completely useless, even with a gun that doesn't have a grip safety.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 31, 2012, 01:41 AM
This is a VERY rare occurrence. I like grip safeties for the added safety measure when using the 1911 platform. However, the reason we are supposed to train with our weak hand is in case our strong hand ever goes down. A bullet through your strong hand can make it completely useless, even with a gun that doesn't have a grip safety.

I train with my weak hand but even so, I want the best advantage I can get. I really don't see the point of the grip safety on the XD and many people have the grip safety pinned on their 1911s. A 1911 with a grip safety is just like carrying a Hi Power which I used to do. A bullet through you hand can make the hand useless but not always but can still greatly hinder you.

Manny
March 31, 2012, 01:43 AM
An XDM got me into Tuperware pistols, because it felt better in my hand than the Glock which I'd always admired but which didn't feel right. The XDM was a very good pistol though I found that I really had to work to shoot it well consistantly. My liking for the XDM led me next to a Glock 21SF which was the first Glock that felt "right" in my hand, though still not as good as the XDM.

I soon found that the 21SF was MUCH easier for me to shoot well and it was also very easy for me to shoot very consistantly. With such good luck with the 21SF I decided to try the medium frame Glock G17L and found it to be "The" pistol for me. Initially drawn to the 17L as the longer sight radius helped my shooting accuracy, I soon found I much prefered the low bore axis of the Glock for recoil control and quick follow up shots and I MUCH prefered the crisp Glock trigger with it's short reset over the mushy XDM trigger. I ended up liking the Glock so much more than the XDM that I traded it off for a Glock G34 and my addiction was firmly fixed.

Inebriated
March 31, 2012, 02:12 AM
You nailed it. Although I think a 1911's grip safety requires more attention to grip then an XD.
That was certainly an interesting thread. He was hit with Gold Dots, was he not? And yeah, the XD safety is weak, so any half-decent grip will deactivate it. So that is a plus.
Of course it's rare, but at the same time, so is a shooting to begin with. So you know, I just like to have one less thing to go wrong, when EVERYTHING has gone wrong lol. But I do agree, weak hand training is about as important as strong side training...

I train with my weak hand but even so, I want the best advantage I can get. I really don't see the point of the grip safety on the XD and many people have the grip safety pinned on their 1911s. A 1911 with a grip safety is just like carrying a Hi Power which I used to do. A bullet through you hand can make the hand useless but not always but can still greatly hinder you.

If I carried a 1911, I would pin it. I like it for a range gun, where I might have new shooter, so every safety net is a plus, but I don't like safeties on my defensive handguns in general, and I've spent much more time training with Glocks and Sigs to bother switching, but still, I like only having to push one button on a gun. I think XD did have a good idea putting grip safeties, though. Most people won't care, but a lot of people probably see it and think "cool, it's safer than a Glock or M&P". So kudos to them.

allaroundhunter
March 31, 2012, 02:16 AM
I am liking that we can discuss weak hand shooting, training, pinning safeties for some of us, and just differing opinions without arguing for once :D

And somehow there hasn't been too many opinion based posts of what the OP should get in this thread :eek:

Inebriated
March 31, 2012, 02:17 AM
I am liking that we can discuss weak hand shooting, training, pinning safeties for some of us, and just differing opinions without arguing for once

I know, I think the die-hards turned in early. It takes a lot out of you to argue all day, I guess lol.

mingansr
March 31, 2012, 09:27 AM
he quoted:[quote]I am liking that we can discuss weak hand shooting, training, pinning safeties for some of us, and just differing opinions without arguing for once

And somehow there hasn't been too many opinion based posts of what the OP should get in this thread
__endquote________________

you're right, man. hundred percent right. takin the high road, i see! it's a great and diverse country isn't it? love it. only in America!

wickedsprint
March 31, 2012, 09:35 AM
I've found that just because they feel better in my hand does not mean I will shoot it better/faster. You need to try them out.

Georgia Gunner
March 31, 2012, 10:28 AM
Well i picked Glock over XDM in this situation because the XDM didn't fit my hand good. But if it fits yours then go for it. It would be great if you could shoot both to see which you are better with but that's not always possible.

SpentCasing
March 31, 2012, 10:32 AM
For me, a grip safety that locks the slide is a detriment and not a feature. That alone is a deal breaker for me on a defensive pistol. I chose Glock.

X-Rap
March 31, 2012, 10:40 AM
I have owned one XD and it wouldn't function long enough to let me like it. Tried 4 mags to get it to feed properly. I have owned 9 Glocks and the only one I didn't like was the 10mm and that is the round not the gun. Out of 50 + mags I have had one that was unreliable.
I have HK, SW, KelTec in polymer guns but the Glocks are favorites for all the reasons already stated.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 31, 2012, 12:27 PM
That was certainly an interesting thread. He was hit with Gold Dots, was he not? And yeah, the XD safety is weak, so any half-decent grip will deactivate it. So that is a plus.

Right after that post I unloaded my XD and played with the grip safety and you're right. Doesn't require it to be fully pressed to deactivate.

jackpinesavages
March 31, 2012, 12:48 PM
Quote:

Still spewing that crap about Croatia I see.

No, as you can actually READ from your own quote, I was enjoying the facts supporting American jobs in Smyrna, Georgia.

Having not mentioned anything about the slave trade activities that are native to that 3rd world country YOU mentioned.

We will support American jobs whether it's Glocks built in Georgia or Hondas built in Ohio, or Fords built in Kentucky; we support our fellow Americans jobs. Want to be the troll that drags another thread into nowhere?

Inebriated
March 31, 2012, 01:37 PM
Right after that post I unloaded my XD and played with the grip safety and you're right. Doesn't require it to be fully pressed to deactivate.

Yep. It's just there for advertisement.

Black Butte
March 31, 2012, 01:51 PM
Why a Pablo Picasso over a John Smith?

One is original, the other is not.

Inebriated
March 31, 2012, 02:10 PM
Why a Pablo Picasso over a John Smith?

One is original, the other is not.

So you're advocating he get an HK VP70? They are the "original", after all...

KAS1981
March 31, 2012, 03:21 PM
Thanks for all the input. We'll see a week from now what I come home with.

jon_in_wv
March 31, 2012, 04:03 PM
Patents expire and people copy materials and production methods over time. Everyone has adopted the tenifer process and high tech polymers. Glock just doesn't have a materials edge anymore. Everyone makes a striker pistol now so they don't have a design edge either. In fact it's kind of silly to say that someone hasn't managed to design a marginally better striker pistol in the 30 years since Glock was invented. This is especially true given the lousy ergonomics of the Glock.

Glock wasn't the first polymer pistol, it didn't have the first polygonal rifling, it wasn't the first to have the safety in the trigger, it wasn't the first striker fired pistol, etc....ad nauseum. The fact is Glock only took earlier ideas and combined them effectively into a very good pistol. But as far as the innovations he supposedly invented for the Glock there just aren't really any.

Both the XD and the Glock are very fine pistols. Choose whichever one fits you better not which on someone else tells you is "cooler" or is THIER preference. The practical differences between the two are really too close to objectively call one superior to the other in my opinion.

stevolene
March 31, 2012, 04:48 PM
these are 2 completely different guns, being the 1911 and any glock ......... the grip angle being the foremost difference imo ............. I like em both

GLOOB
March 31, 2012, 05:13 PM
But as far as the innovations he supposedly invented for the Glock there just aren't really any.
This is my list of Glock 17 firsts:
1. Revolutionary ease of assembly/disassembly
2. Polymer frame with steel rail inserts molded in
3. semi-double action striker-fire mechanism
4. Inertial trigger safety
5. Simplified Browning tilt mechanism where the barrel hood and breechface are used as the locking lug.
6. Extensive use of simple stamped parts for internals

7. First semi auto maker to realize the market for handguns without a manual safety. And to be able to sell said handgun for a profit and not get sued into bankruptcy. If it weren't for Glock, safety-free striker fire and single action semi-autos wouldn't exist.

So think about that, and the fact that Glock was doing it 20 years before the HS2000 came along.

Glock had no experience in firearms design. His background was manufacturing. He took the latest manufacturing technologies at his disposal, and he designed the firearm from the ground up to take advantage of them. And instead of ending up with a cheap, cobbled together throw-away gun held together with disposable parts and roll pins, he quite inexplicably created a cheap plastic gun that is revolutionary in its serviceability and durability. The fact that it's also a great shooter is almost secondary.

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 31, 2012, 05:37 PM
No, as you can actually READ from your own quote, I was enjoying the facts supporting American jobs in Smyrna, Georgia.

More like you are calling Croatia a 3rd world country. FACTS PLEASE!

First semi auto maker to realize the market for handguns without a manual safety.

The Colt 1910 was made without a safety but added one because of the military and became the 1911. Also, the SIG P220 was made before the Glock and it doesn't have a safety.

So think about that, and the fact that Glock was doing it 20 years before the HS2000 came along.

So? By that logic, nothing after the first semi auto is better. Just because something is older, doesn't mean it's better.

GLOOB
March 31, 2012, 05:46 PM
And to be able to sell said handgun for a profit and not get sued into bankruptcy.
How much profit did Colt make before adding a personal safety? They stopped making the safety-less version, completely, after less than a year in production. My point is the Glock made it an actual standard. I'm sure a lot of people asked for one, and they said, no thanks. And continued to crush the market, and in the process changed what we're allowed to own and operate without lawyers getting big eyes. You know how many times Glock has been sued for causing an ND? I'm sure it's a lot. I'm sure Glock spent a lot of money on lawyers, politicians, and PR to make this work. Going after police contracts was a smart move, to establish the safety of the design.

So? By that logic, nothing after the first semi auto is better. Just because something is older, doesn't mean it's better.
Who said anything about better? I was making a point about innovation. Without Glock having forged the path, the other polymer wonders wouldn't have happened. They owe their commercial success to Glock.

jad0110
March 31, 2012, 06:10 PM
1. Revolutionary ease of assembly/disassembly

Sorry Gloob, I really don't mean to pick on you (honest), but I just laugh because that sounds like a marketing statement off Glock's website. :p ;)

It is certainly easy to field strip, though there are others that are as easy or easier still. For example, the Vz.82 comes to mind. Granted, it came along about the same time or maybe even a little after the Glock, but there are other much older pistols that disassemble with the same ease. The CZ-75 is also a pretty simple gun to field strip. Easier still are my wheel guns - I just remove the wood stocks so they don't get crud an oil on them.

jackpinesavages
March 31, 2012, 06:41 PM
OK, here you go...

More like you are calling Croatia a 3rd world country. FACTS PLEASE!

http://www.svri.org/minors.pdf

http://amusinghistorymusings.blogspot.com/2009/02/human-slavery-sex-trade-croatia.html

http://www.ask500people.com/questions/croatia---urgent-reward-for-missing-person--fear-of-white-slave-trade-do-you-think-it-happens--see-comment--27034

http://www.spectrezine.org/content/croatias-racist-state-people-colour-not-welcome-even-if-theyre-passing-through

http://gvnet.com/humantrafficking/Croatia.htm

This last one here ^^ is a release from the US State Dept. in 2009.

GLOOB
March 31, 2012, 06:47 PM
It is certainly easy to field strip,
I never said field strip. I am referring to the complete assembly/disassembly. This affects the gun's overall cost (assembly cost), maintenance/upkeep/repair cost, and ease of detail cleaning.

Sorry Gloob, I really don't mean to pick on you (honest), but I just laugh because that sounds like a marketing statement off Glock's website.
I am not picking on you, but it sounds like you've never taken a Glock apart beyond a field strip. (I wonder if you're ever disassembled any gun, if you would even compare it to a revolver. Yikes!) It's one of the best features of this gun. The disassembly/reassembly was a huge consideration in the design of every single part of the gun, and it shows.

Big_John1961
March 31, 2012, 09:41 PM

Having not mentioned anything about the slave trade activities that are native to that 3rd world country YOU mentioned.

We will support American jobs whether it's Glocks built in Georgia or Hondas built in Ohio, or Fords built in Kentucky; we support our fellow Americans jobs. Want to be the troll that drags another thread into nowhere?

Loony, loony, loony...

WRGADog
March 31, 2012, 10:10 PM
I own a G26, G19, and G30 along with a XDM 40, XDM 9, and XDM 9 3.8. Personally, I prefer the XDM's because of capacity, match grade barrel, grip safety, and the lifetime warranty. The XDM's fit my hand better, and thus I am more accurate when I shoot them.

jon_in_wv
March 31, 2012, 10:30 PM
Thats funny Gloob. Next you'll tell us the Glock is better because it only has 35 parts. Please, tell us that one too.

GLOOB
March 31, 2012, 11:00 PM
I never said a Glock was better. What's up with Glock threads? They certainly seem to bring out the worst in people.

You can argue an XD is better if you want, and I don't care. But if you think an XD is more innovative than a Glock, you have your timeline backwards.

jon_in_wv
March 31, 2012, 11:49 PM
No but you did certainly play fast and loose with the facts on your list. The fact remains that Glock simply put togither the GLock from existing designs, he didn't invent any of them. I don't know why that is such a tough pill to swallow?

jon_in_wv
March 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
#5. While you admit Browning invented the tilting barrel lock up you claim Glock invented the barrel locking into the ejection port. Sig uses the same lock up and the P220 was adopted by the Swiss in 1975, and I doubt they were the first either so how did Glock invent that?

FIVETWOSEVEN
March 31, 2012, 11:55 PM
OK, here you go...

Most of Europe must be third world too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_Central_Europe

How much profit did Colt make before adding a personal safety? They stopped making the safety-less version, completely, after less than a year in production. My point is the Glock made it an actual standard. I'm sure a lot of people asked for one, and they said, no thanks. And continued to crush the market, and in the process changed what we're allowed to own and operate without lawyers getting big eyes. You know how many times Glock has been sued for causing an ND? I'm sure it's a lot. I'm sure Glock spent a lot of money on lawyers, politicians, and PR to make this work. Going after police contracts was a smart move, to establish the safety of the design.

I see you completely missed over where I noted that the SIG P220 didn't have a safety and it came a few years before the Glock.

Who said anything about better? I was making a point about innovation. Without Glock having forged the path, the other polymer wonders wouldn't have happened. They owe their commercial success to Glock.

Who cares? If I like the XD more, I would get it. I don't need a history lesson on Poly Pistols to own one and buying something just because of hype is just plain silly.

jon_in_wv
March 31, 2012, 11:56 PM
http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/free-range-time/15812-truth-about-glock-trigger.html

grayhambone
March 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
did the second comment just say xdm was better than glock?
that is all. get what you want though.

WinThePennant
March 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
There are some things I really like about the XD. But, there are some things I really don't like. I'm not a big fan of the grip safety because I am not a fan of having to have a perfect grip on a gun in order to shoot it. The only external safety I'll tolerate is a trigger safety similar to those found on all Glocks (and copied by many other manufacturers).

That said, I do wish that Glock would implement an elevated loaded chamber indicator and a striker status indicator. Perhaps Gen 5?

Also, I prefer the XD takedown. The only think I dislike about my Glocks is a takedown procedure that forces you to pull the trigger.

jon_in_wv
April 1, 2012, 12:17 AM
You don't need a perfect grip on an XD to deactivate the grip safety. In fact I doubt you would ever even notice it has one during any type of shooting. I do like the grip safety for one reason. I like to move my thumb over to the back of the slide when reholstering. This deactivates the grip safety, in the case of the XD, and it is NOT POSSIBLE for it to fire when re-holstering. The same can not be said for the Glock (or my carry gun the M&P for that matter!). It also works on hammer fired weapons. If you are pushing the weapon in with your thumb on the hammer it makes it very difficult for you to accidentally pull the trigger or for the trigger to be pulled by accident.

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 1, 2012, 12:44 AM
In fact I doubt you would ever even notice it has one during any type of shooting.

I don't at the range but if my hand is mangled in a gunfight, it won't be reliable anymore.

That said, I do wish that Glock would implement an elevated loaded chamber indicator and a striker status indicator. Perhaps Gen 5?

The extractor on a Glock protrudes slightly when chambered and the trigger is the striker status indicator. It's not fully cocked so it wouldn't work like an XD.

Also, I prefer the XD takedown. The only think I dislike about my Glocks is a takedown procedure that forces you to pull the trigger.

The XD takedown requires you to pull the trigger, the XDm however doesn't require the trigger to be pulled. Either way it's not an issue if you are smart about it.

Mike J
April 1, 2012, 01:11 AM
KAS 1981- Good Luck with your upcoming purchase. I hope you find the right gun for you. Personally I haven't shot an XDm. I have an XD-40 I bought new in 2007. It has been a good gun. I like it. I also like the Glocks I have shot. I don't think you will really go wrong either way.

Jamyatunes
April 1, 2012, 01:20 AM
I'm losing track but I have owned several Glocks, XDs, and 1911s ... For the longest time I loved the XD above all because of the lack of manual safety and the trigger being way smoother than the Glock. Recently I have gone back to Glocks because my trigger control has gotten better even with crunchy triggers, and I've learned that a bigger factor for me is how the pistol fits my hand. I have big hands and Glocks fit well.

The moral of this story? Get the gun that fits you better, not the one someone else tells you is better, and also expect that at some point in the future your tastes will change, so don't get married to a brand or style. God forbid, but I might even find myself shooting revolvers someday!

mingansr
April 1, 2012, 02:11 AM
HK Dan and allaroundhunter
You guys are poo pooing the grip safety. have to disagree. that safety and the USA trigger are what makes my gun 'safe' enough that the barrel pointed at my parts does not concern me if i keep a round chambered (and i'll know it's chambered cuz of cam that rides up to indicate a round in that chamber). when i draw that pistola i'm gonna know that i can safely draw from any kind of holster and not worrying. if i don't have a firm grip on the pistol grip, i shouldn't be attempting to let a round go off. to me it's a better safety than a socalled mech. (manual) safety. that xd has an SAO trigger, and all triggers shall be SAO w me, so these two above mentioned features make me breathe easy. IMHO

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 1, 2012, 02:57 AM
if i don't have a firm grip on the pistol grip, i shouldn't be attempting to let a round go off.

Glad to see that you can see the future that you will have full function of your hands.

mingansr
April 1, 2012, 03:32 AM
i guess you're right on that on, 527. thanks for challenging me.

jad0110
April 1, 2012, 10:14 AM
I never said field strip. I am referring to the complete assembly/disassembly. This affects the gun's overall cost (assembly cost), maintenance/upkeep/repair cost, and ease of detail cleaning.

I am not picking on you, but it sounds like you've never taken a Glock apart beyond a field strip. (I wonder if you're ever disassembled any gun, if you would even compare it to a revolver. Yikes!) It's one of the best features of this gun. The disassembly/reassembly was a huge consideration in the design of every single part of the gun, and it shows.

You are correct about not detail stripping a Glock, but you are not correct about not doing it to any gun. BTW, if I have the correct tools, I don't find revolvers at all hard to take down (as for field stripping, as I said there really isn't any unless you count removing the grips). OTH, I rarely take any gun down that far these days as I rarely find it necessary. I figure the odds of loosing a part or otherwise screwing something up make it not worth the risk for me.

I have detail stripped the 1911 platform (series 70) and found it to be remarkably easy to do so (not so Ruger Mark IIs and IIIs). I also have a few friends that own both Glocks and 1911s and every last one of them agreed that the Glock is easier to field strip than the 1911, but the 1911 was easier (for them) to detail strip. To be clear, by detail stripping I mean taking the gun completely apart, which includes all the Glock's subassemblies. But as always, to each his own. Those guys are much older, so perhaps they are just used to the 1911 platform.

Not that it really matters. Anyone with some degree of mechanical ability and proper tools can take apart and put together about anything.

---

As for the OP, I can't tell you which to get over the other. Both are fine choices, I'd simply go with the one that feels "right" to you.

jackpinesavages
April 1, 2012, 12:20 PM
5.27 Most of Europe must be third world too.

You asked for documentation about the XD pistols, being built in Croatia, being built in a 3rd world nation where sex slave trades and slave labor is the norm. I provided that to you efficiently. However, I see you are also cross-talking several other free thinking members here now?

No, I do not believe most of Europe is in the third world category, according the U.S. State Department. However, they have warned that Croatia is and that travel there is not recommended.

Again, as the OP has specified: Why Glock over XD? I know my Glocks are being produced and assembled in a legal and positive workforce which supports living standards. I know that Glock supports our endeavors in Law Enforcement. We can feel good about our money spent going to firearms development and not to questionable endeavors. That's not "loony", that's a responsible consumer.

Plus, Glocks rock!! :D

hso
April 1, 2012, 12:57 PM
get what you like if you do not have a specific reason for picking one over the other

jon_in_wv
April 1, 2012, 02:12 PM
In fact I doubt you would ever even notice it has one during any type of shooting.

I don't at the range but if my hand is mangled in a gunfight, it won't be reliable anymore.

If your hand is that mangled I seriously doubt you could otherwise hold the weapon and pull the trigger to fire it. If you can hold the weapon at all the grip safety is not an issue. When I had an XD I tried a LOT of different ways to grip it and the only way you aren't going to deactivate the grip safety is if you hold the weapon so low on the grip you can't reach the trigger so you have to pull the trigger with your other hand. You may not believe it by some us just train with both hands so if one is injured, you can just put the weapon in your other hand. My personal experience is most cases playing the "what if" game is only used to prove your own opinion, not to make a practical point. The fact is you are many times more likely to shoot yourself in the butt reholstering your weapon than to somehow injure both hands where your only choice is to grip and fire the weapon with so much of the web of your hand missing that it can't engage the trigger safety yet somehow you can still hold the weapon and pull the trigger.

TG13
April 1, 2012, 04:16 PM
http://youtu.be/Uig_y7Laows

Croatia is a pretty nice place..

and my XD is a pretty nice pistol..

and if my hand is "mangled" in a gunfight, i'm in bigger trouble than having to depress a grip safety on a pistol..

i find the issues people have with the XD/XDm quite funny, at times..

jon_in_wv
April 1, 2012, 04:55 PM
I agree. They come up with all kinds of crazy scenarios where the grip safety will be a problem but somehow the grip safety on the 1911 hasn't raised issues all these years. The grip safety on the XD is way easier to disengage than a 1911s too. Funny they never play the "what if" game when it comes to reholstering, or dropping the weapon, or any number of scenarios where have the grip safety is a positive.

I can do with or without it. I like the Glocks trigger better than the XD. I carry an M&P. I am really tempted by the new Glock 19 though. If someone says they like the features of the fit of the XD better I can't think of one reason to tell them to get a Glock or an M&P over it.

Inebriated
April 1, 2012, 05:20 PM
It's not crazy. There's a guy last year or so who was unable to fire his handgun because of the grip safety (1911), after taking a shot to the hand. So to say it's crazy is, well, crazy.

Doors
April 1, 2012, 05:29 PM
I love the grip angle if the Glock. It points better for me. The XD makes you happy so buy it. I prefer the Mk over the 22/45 Ruger because of grip angle. If I could only keep one, it would be my Glock 26. Because I like it, I can shoot it very well now. It's been reliable for me. But you shouldn't buy my fave piece if you don't like how it feels. Among the pieces you mentioned, they're all basically equal.

whalerman
April 1, 2012, 05:36 PM
Count me among the folks who are doing grading the value of a grip safety. Why do you want it? I've carried Glocks for work for two decades now. Forget what you think you think. They're safe.

Now if another gun just fits your hand better, that's another matter altogether. Value the fit. Don't worry about the grip safety.

L-Frame
April 1, 2012, 06:38 PM
I love these threads where someone wants someone else's opinions on which gun to buy. There are very few issues that will bring out violently different opinions because we Americans love our guns and are very loyal about what we love and shoot.

But, the fact is that the Glock has a proven track record, as does the XD, the Beretta 92, Sig 226, Ruger P-95, H&K P7, Browning Hi-Power, 1911, Kahr
K9, etc. etc. Everyone will argue for or against any of them based on the fact that they do/don't like the way they feel, bought a lemon, whatever. Do the only smart thing: rent the guns you are thinking of buying and shoot them. If the XD is it, buy it. If not buy the glock. For me, that's why I carry a Ruger GP-100 .357 mag 3", a 6 round dinosaur, because it fees better to me and I shoot it better than anything else, (other than my S&W 686 4").

Just my 2 cents.

jskibs
April 1, 2012, 07:45 PM
I shoot my XDM better than any Glock I've tried. The trigger is better to me and the grip safety is a non issue for functionality and offers some AD protection when holstering. That said, parts and accessories for Glocks are everywhere, not so much for the XDs. Both border on fugly. Both are boringly reliable. Hopefully a sex slave didn't build my particular example.

pale horse
April 1, 2012, 09:30 PM
I have owned both and I prefer the XDM over the Glock due to the (FOR ME) better; feeling trigger out of the box, higher capacity magazines, grips, accuracy, and support from the company. I find the grip of the XDM is fills my hand better than the Glocks. I can do without the grip safety as it does not matter in how I handle my weapon except for take down. The weapon is not without problems, but I can deal with the minor problems for all the advantages. You live in the USA brother and you can buy what you want.

"United States or Austria or Germany-places that have a healthy respect for labor and life." Really... I am surprised you are looking at the old Croatia and not what it has become. You are misinformed and have never been there but you keep touting how it does not respect life or labor laws. Get over yourself and your one sided thinking. I could say "All cops are piss poor shooters and have an arrogant attitude." I would not be correct in say that, even if it is my experience in training them in SWAT and Active Shooter Training.

"Yes, the U.S. State Department advised that travel in Croatia is not recommended for America's citizens. Period. That's what the release says. Again, if you want to debate the Clinton meaning of the word "if", send it to me in a P.M. so as to not detract from the OP's thread." The State Department Informed me that Travel in the Philippians was a bad idea. I went anyway and had no problems. IF you would like to discuss the city you are a police officer in and tell me what parts of town are not safe to walk in and then see if your logic applies to your posts. Bottom Line is simple. You have never been to Croatia and take the State Departments word that its unsafe.

jon_in_wv
April 1, 2012, 10:31 PM
It's not crazy. There's a guy last year or so who was unable to fire his handgun because of the grip safety (1911), after taking a shot to the hand. So to say it's crazy is, well, crazy.

First I'd love to see a link to back up that claim, secondly its already been stated the grip safety on the XD is much easier to deactivate than the 1911. There are several ways to hold a 1911 to keep if from firing that won't work with the XD.

Sam Cade
April 1, 2012, 10:42 PM
First I'd love to see a link to back up that claim, . it was a member on ar15.com. iirc he managed to soak up half a dozen gold dots and survive :what:

R.W.Dale
April 1, 2012, 10:55 PM
Having verified this firsthand the fact that the grip safety locks the slide when not depressed makes the xd design a non starter for me.

You may not come up with a realistic scenario for the grip safety preventing you from shooting the gun. However there are lots of realistic situations where this would prevent you from performing certain clearance drills.

I've shot the xdm 9mm and while it shoots good it gave me no reason whatsoever to pass up a perfectly good glock for one.

posted via mobile device.

Inebriated
April 2, 2012, 01:01 AM
First I'd love to see a link to back up that claim, secondly its already been stated the grip safety on the XD is much easier to deactivate than the 1911. There are several ways to hold a 1911 to keep if from firing that won't work with the XD.

First, how dense are you to think that a guy being unable to manipulate a grip safety is a "claim" that requires proof? But hey, some people have to touch the stove before they know it's hot... Here (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/988015_.html&page=1).

And yeah, it's already been stated because I stated it. Read back on page two. I'm not disputing it's relative weakness.

General Tso
April 2, 2012, 01:20 AM
Why settle for the imposter when you can have the real thing?

wickedsprint
April 2, 2012, 06:07 AM
How's trigger reset in the XDMs?

jon_in_wv
April 2, 2012, 06:59 AM
First, how dense are you to think that a guy being unable to manipulate a grip safety is a "claim" that requires proof? But hey, some people have to touch the stove before they know it's hot... Here.

If I'm "dense" because I don't take every claim on the internet as fact and I have enough manners not to level insults just because someone questions me then so be it. The story you link to states the author "thinks" maybe he didn't depress the grip safety. He only knows he had a failure to fire which he had no problem clearing and firing several more rounds. Typical that you would take something not even remotely conclusive as "proof" of your point.

At least I'm not so "dense" I can realize there is a difference between the grip safeties on the 1911 and the XD. (As I've also already stated but you didn't "get" that huh?)

tarosean
April 2, 2012, 07:49 AM
Why settle for the imposter when you can have the real thing?

+1 we should be talking about Browning and H&K!!!

Inebriated
April 2, 2012, 06:02 PM
If I'm "dense" because I don't take every claim on the internet as fact and I have enough manners not to level insults just because someone questions me then so be it. The story you link to states the author "thinks" maybe he didn't depress the grip safety. He only knows he had a failure to fire which he had no problem clearing and firing several more rounds. Typical that you would take something not even remotely conclusive as "proof" of your point.

At least I'm not so "dense" I can realize there is a difference between the grip safeties on the 1911 and the XD. (As I've also already stated but you didn't "get" that huh?)

I'll apologize for the name-calling, because that isn't High Road, but I suppose replying to you is useless, since you blocked me, but you asked for proof that GETTING SHOT IN THE HAND WOULD IMPEDE THE GRIP. You really need proof of that? You honestly need proof that a bullet in the hand will affect your grip?

And again, I have already said there was a difference in the safeties. OPEN YOUR EYES AND READ THE THREAD! What are you not understanding about this?

mingansr
April 2, 2012, 10:23 PM
i know this is an aside from our discussion of triggers, G vs X, but it's just too juicy for me to pass up.

RWDale, i didn't know Romney said that as Governor. sheesh. well, all the more reason for me to say Gobama, 2012 cuz we KNOW he didn't take away our guns! some FEAR he's gonna do that in a second term (apparently NRA thinking) but my pres never said anything like that ( i suppose someone's gonna prove me wrong on the high road). this levels the playing field, as far as gun issues go. i've said this before in another post, foamer at the mouth that i am, but i'm pretty happy he's our commander in chief, cuz he let our top notch by God Navy SEALS fix Osama thru the eye (one would expect that of our best, eh?), even as the preponderance of his advisors were advising against it. when he said GO, they WENT. i'm still reeling from their bravery. dang, i love them SEALS. my son tattoos a bunch of Navy from G. Lakes Naval Base, and i ask them every week if they got any news of more takeouts.

so any way, Obama has continued to take out terrorists all over the place, incl that one american (note small 'a') who was against us. he's crippling Iran this last weekend too. Romney's a hawk on Iran, too ready, i fear, to send our boys and girls in harm's way IMO (of course, there's always hyperbole come election time). and look at the man. he takes all the BS accusations of muslim, commie, not born here, etc etc etc, ad infinitum, and he lets it all bounce off him like the wind. man's got balls, i say.

sorry for the aside. pls forgive.

allaroundhunter
April 3, 2012, 02:49 AM
Count me among the folks who are doing grading the value of a grip safety. Why do you want it? I've carried Glocks for work for two decades now. Forget what you think you think. They're safe.

I prefer a grip safety on a 1911 because it just feels right, and because I do like an extra bit of safety when running a 3.5 lb trigger as opposed to the 5.5 lb trigger on the Glock....as for the XD, I could do without it, but I can live with it too. If the grip safety is a "deal breaker", then you are just shallow ;)

tdstout
April 3, 2012, 09:35 AM
The Grip safety on my 1911 has never bothered me, but then again I've never been shot in the hand. On the other hand (pun intended), I can shoot almost as good with my left hand as I can with my right. What would happen to all you glock shooters if you got shot in your trigger finger? Can you not just switch hands? We can do that with our grip safety guns too.

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 3, 2012, 09:52 AM
What would happen to all you glock shooters if you got shot in your trigger finger?

I'm not a Glock shooter. The way he was shot allowed him to fire the gun but one round he wasn't able to fire because of his grip. If I couldn't use a hand I would switch to weak hand.

WinThePennant
April 3, 2012, 09:54 AM
What if you got shot in both hands, and was unable to squeeze hard enough to activate the grip safety?

I'd still be able to shoot my Glock...

:)

MikeRussell
April 3, 2012, 12:12 PM
What if you got shot in both hands, and was unable to squeeze hard enough to activate the grip safety?

:)

Maybe you would be able to cause a round to fire, but if (in your example) you were shot in both hands and could not grasp the grip (it does not require squeezing a XD/XDm to disengage the grip safety), then you will not be able to aim, point, or shoot effectively. So the point is moot.

Can we move on to the next excuse please?!

tarosean
April 3, 2012, 12:35 PM

Im guessing that your not firing a plastic gun after the bullets pass through it too... Notice this fable starts with a steel gun.. lol

Kiln
April 11, 2012, 04:10 AM
I don't see the issue of the grip safety. The grip safety on the XDM is so easy to deactivate you won't even notice it if you even have a half limp grip on the gun. If you happen to be shot in the hand that you use to fire the gun, well that is why you should train with your off hand. I can't see anyone getting the type of accuracy they would want in a defensive situation with a hand that has just been torn apart by a pistol/rifle round anyways.

For me the grip safety is nice but not exactly necessary. I don't see it being a serious handicap in a defensive situation because if you've ever actually held an XDM you'll know just how effortless holding in the grip safety is and if your shooting hand is hit during the encounter hopefully you've reverted to your other (still functional) hand.

If you're one of those guys that deals in dramatic and far fetched "what if" scenarios, you might as well start training on firing your pistol with your feet...because what if both hands become disabled and can't fire a gun? Then you'll need to be able to shoot with your toes.

ole farmerbuck
April 11, 2012, 07:23 AM
I dont shoot my handguns much and I store them in their original boxes. When I do get my XDM's out, it's the easiest to reach in around the trigger get ahold of them. I've thought many times if it's loaded or not. They're not but with the grip safety I shouldn't have to worry about it going off if I do pull on the trigger, right?

Madcap_Magician
April 11, 2012, 02:50 PM

Are we talking about the same Croatia? Perhaps you have it mistaken with Saudi Arabia. Or Sudan. Or Myanmar.

Unless you have information you'd like to share.

It's one thing to say "Buy USA," but to say you shouldn't by an XD because Croatia is a "Third-world nation that supports slave labor and has no human rights or labor contracts" is just plumb ignorant.

mingansr
April 12, 2012, 06:48 AM
;)quickly quoting,

"Posted by: Madcap_Magician
On: April 11, 2012 12:50 PM

---Quote (Originally by jackpinesavages)---
---End Quote---
Are we talking about the same Croatia? Perhaps you have it mistaken with Saudi Arabia. Or Sudan. Or Myanmar. "

oh, Madcap Magician, there jackpine goes again. any post out here regarding SA and XD's gets his same old rant. you know what it is? he's jealous of the XD line, he really is. i've offered to take him to my fabulous gun club, very few of which are better, at the price, and let him warm his barrels (and of course, my XD!) gratis for a big favor he did for my brother in keying us in on a free C C class in WI. he reneged on the offer. and i know why. fear of the coming dominance of the XD line, which will fill the world with an ever better line of XD's, the latest of which is the XDS, for Slim, single stack, now in .45acp, but soon to be in 9 mm and .40sw. they're gonna have such huge demand, they'll have to open a plant in the US just to save on shipping cost. and our best in the world workforce will produce the weapons. and it'll be a union shop! (sorry, Gov Walker;))

he's afraid he'll trade his Glocks in for pennies on the dollar for the opportunity to purchase my xd 40. well, my xd isn't for sale. 439 plus tax for gun, case, 2 double mag holders, 5 mags, holster, which would be fine for open carry in WI, speed loader, lock, brush.

jack pine, you savage, gotcha, my friend! ha.

Kiln
April 12, 2012, 07:33 AM

Wow. You're a real patriot. I'm just glad there's one guy in the USA who has never ever supported any products that were produced my slave labor...unless of course you can look around the room you're in and find something made in China. If you can then you too have supported slave labor.

If you enjoyed reading about "Why Glock over an XDM?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!