little local show no pics

PDA

kBob
March 31, 2012, 06:30 PM
Went to a local show today and was disappointed in the selection of repro BP as in almost none and I thought over priced.

On the other hand I saw a cute little Manhatten knock off of a S&W #1. It seemed somewhat more robust than a #1 but not near so as much as a #1 1/2. I liked the "engraving" which was a floral sort of ivy stuf on the rear of the barrel in sort of a triangular area and appeaerd stamped rather than engraved or etched. The cylinder had a scene as well of a group of human figures but I could not tell who or what they were doing. The cylinder had twice as many bolt slots as it "needed" just as some of the percussion models have.

I almost overlooked what was described as an 1864 Remington Police in .36 percussion, 5 shot. It appeared slight ly larger than the 1863 .31 and it had a trigger guard. It seemed to be a faded nickle and was described as having a brass frame but it appeared nickled as well. On arriving home I got down my Pietta '63 and I still think the .36 was on a slightly larger frame, but nowhere near what the .44s and six shot .36 Navy was on.

Unfortunately both were way beyond what I had to spend, the Remmie being $995.00 and the Manhatten a bit more.....I warned you the prices seemed high.
Unfortunately cameras were not permitted either.

I really wish someone made that .36 Remmie at a reasonable price. A buddy recently bought an Uberti colt 63 pocket .36 like our resident gun writer recently posted a video of and I would loved to have been able to have flashed that Remmie in front of him. The Remmie had an otagonal barrel like the .31 '63 remmie BTW. Neat gun.

-kBob

If you enjoyed reading about "little local show no pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
swopjan
April 1, 2012, 12:08 AM
The Remington sounds interesting. I've been wondering lately, are .36 caliber remingtons historically accurate? i have an 1858 in .44 and an 1863 in .31, but no .36 to speak of.

as for the #1, gunbroker was selling an antique for $600, and here's a 1 1/2 for $650. i'd buy them myself but i would want to shoot them too much... :(
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=279261998

edit: actually, searching for "S&W 1" in Antiques is showing a bunch of them in various conditions.

mykeal
April 1, 2012, 06:17 AM
are .36 caliber remingtons historically accurate?
Yes and no.

Remington did produce a .36 cal version of the New Army revolver called the New Navy; there was actually a .36 cal version of each model of the design we now know as the 1858 Remington.

It had a slightly smaller grip frame than the .44, and therein lies the rub; some of the Italian replicas reproduced that frame size and some didn't. So, technically, some are historically accurate and some are less so. I have a .36 cal Remington New Navy made by Pietta in 1981 that has the smaller grip frame but I understand the current Piettas do not. I don't know when that transition occurred.

kBob
April 1, 2012, 10:25 AM
mykeal,

The .36 I looked at was a five shot and the frame looked only a bit larger than the '63 Pocket .31. It had a trigger guard that was as tiny and crowded as a Colt '49 and a thin trigger.

It was not a modern reproduction and the seller claimed it was made in 1864.

-kBob

Jaymo
April 1, 2012, 08:29 PM
Would that be the same as the small Remington revolver Clint Eastwood carried in his waistband in Pale Rider?
I recall is looked similar to the 63 pocket, but it had a brass trigger guard (not a spur trigger).

kBob
April 1, 2012, 08:55 PM
Jaymo,

Don't know. Could be. I liked it but don't play the lottory anymore so did not win.

-kBob

hawkeye74
April 3, 2012, 09:58 PM
As for current 36 production of Remington 36, I think they are all made on 44 frames. Some may be turned down a bit but the overall feel is different from the originals.

The Remington described appears to be the Remington New Police made from 1865 to 1873 with barrel lengths from 3 1/2" up to 6 1/2" at 1" intervals. Original Remie's had frames of various sizes that were made for the particular model gun; Army, Navy, Police, Pocket and Belt.

For loads of historical information on BP guns, Buy a Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms. Worth the $40. investment.

If you enjoyed reading about "little local show no pics" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!