firing field stripped 1911

PDA

Mrcymstr
March 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
I was showing a friend how to field strip and clean my Remington 1911r1. All was well and good and seeing as he is relatively mechanically inclined it was going swimmingly. I looked away for a moment and he had the frame assembly in his hand.... as I had my head turned I heard an utterly heart wrenching *clack*. I looked up and he had pulled the trigger. I am fully aware this is not good, but being kind of new to the 1911 model I am not sure exactly what could have happened and if there is anything in particular I need to look for. Thanks in advance.

Sidenote.... I no longer care how friendly I am with you from now on ONLY I SHALL DISASSEMBLE MY SIDEARM.

If you enjoyed reading about "firing field stripped 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bovice
March 31, 2012, 07:19 PM
It's not the end of the world, just don't do it all the time. There's probably nothing to see as a result of that incident.

txgunsuscg
April 1, 2012, 09:17 AM
If you really feel the need to check, just look for any cracks in the frame or hammer. THere shouldn't be anything but if it gives you piece of mind, it won't hurt to check. It's going to take a lot more than one hammer drop to damage that gun.

jad0110
April 1, 2012, 10:31 AM
Probably no harm done this one time. I know how you feel though. On more than one occaision, I've handed my revolver to someone (politely, with the cylinder open) only to have them "Bogart" said cylinder (slamming it shut with a flick of the wrist, ala Humphrey Bogart). Sent a chill up my spine on the 2 or 3 occurences of this. Now when I hand a revolver to someone I politely ask that they close the cylinder gently.

rcmodel
April 1, 2012, 01:52 PM
It won't hurt it.

Imagine if you will how many gazillion times GI's did it to issue 1911's over all the years it was in service.

With that said, don't make a habit of it either.
You might do it to a lesser gun then a 1911 someday, and it might break it.

rc

ghitch75
April 1, 2012, 01:59 PM
was showin' a buddy last night how to field strip my Super LWC and he did the same thing and i chewed his a^%!!!.....he learned not to do that.....like RC said don't make a habit of it...

If you enjoyed reading about "firing field stripped 1911" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!