First Handgun

PDA

Rhyno37
March 31, 2012, 10:44 PM
To be more specific, auto-loading handgun. I already have a S&W .357 along with numerous rifles and shotguns. I'm looking to get a pistol for mostly range shooting and home defense. I'm looking at full size pistols. First problem is caliber. Leaning somewhat towards 9mm for my first pistol because its cheap to shoot, and get acquainted with. Not totally opposed to .40 or .45, so feel free to persuade me otherwise.

My limit is $800, maybe a bit over. I would really prefer to stay around 500. All of the guns I'll list I didn't choose for caliber, though some are limited because of model number. I'm leaning towards a Glock 17 because its cheaper, and seems like an easy pistol to get used to. My higher end option would be a Sig P226, because its all metal and everyone rates them high. Feel free to add in your 2 cents.

If you enjoyed reading about "First Handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tipro
March 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm partial to a stainless Beretta 92f. I like it over the 17 bc of the safety and da/sa. I might choose a 19 for concealed carry, but for a full size, thr berettas are real nice.

sigarms228
March 31, 2012, 10:50 PM
I strongly suggest you go to the range and try out as many pistols as you can that appeal to you ideally at the same time as it is harder to make comparisons based on memory.

There are a TON of great pistols out there in your price range. Of course you also need to look at the advantages/disadvantages of striker fired versus DA/SA hammer fired and metal versus poly frame.

Myself I just love my SIG P226s and would not trade them for anything. Others I would recommend trying based on my ownership and experiences are the SIG SP2022, the Walther PPQ, and the Beretta PX4.

Good luck!!

Rhyno37
March 31, 2012, 10:58 PM
Shoot, I knew I was forgetting a pistol! Add the Beretta 92 to that list!

Also, I do not think there are any ranges near me where I can rent pistols...

April 1, 2012, 12:11 AM
Rhyno37,
If you really want a .45 Auto but ammunition cost is a big issue, consider a 1911 from Springfield, Kimber, SIG etc and spend another $250 and buy a .22LR conversion kit. Kimber makes a decent kit that will allow you to practice with the same trigger, grip, grip safety and thumb safety. Shooting .22LR will make you a better shooter when you have the .45 Auto slide/barrel on the pistol because it'll teach you trigger control.

Furncliff
April 1, 2012, 12:17 AM
I voted 1911. All steel, heavy, recoil absorbing, available in 9mm as well as .45acp and you don't have to spend $800. Plus you will have J.M. Browning's smile beaming to you from the heavens.

Also consider the CZ75b if you like steel guns.

I started loading my own .45 it's the only way to keep the cost reasonable.

Pilot
April 1, 2012, 06:47 AM
Steel - Browning Hi Power, CZ-75B

Aluminum alloy framed - CZ PCR or P-01, P226, 92FS, P229

Polymer - G19, P-07, XD, HK USP/P30

TG13
April 1, 2012, 07:04 AM
find something that is very comfortable in your hand.. ease of aim, trigger reach, manual of arms.. if you intend on carry, look at the options of holsters, mag holsters, etc..

i really think that selecting a pistol is a very personal thing.. it's something that you should experience as an individual.. you'll just have to go shopping at the local gun shops and get some touchy-feely time with some pistols to know what is going to serve you best..

my vote was for a 1911..

allaroundhunter
April 1, 2012, 07:12 AM
I would not discount a full size Smith and Wessom M&P9. I like my M&P better than my Glock, but that is a personal preference thing. I'm going to second (or third?) the motion that you try to rent a few guns for a test drive to see what you like best!

Robbins290
April 1, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hi power

bannockburn
April 1, 2012, 09:47 AM
From the guns you have listed I would be most partial to the SIG P226. If you would consider going off the list then I would recommend either a Browning Hi-Power or a CZ75.

Ranger30-06
April 1, 2012, 09:48 AM
Can't go wrong with a Ruger P95 as a budget/first gun. Durable, solid, and backed by Ruger if that says anything. You can usually get them for less than $350 around here and 9mm ammo is a dime a dozen. Being a Ruger, they are able to take the heavier +P 9mm stuff for defense etc.

Do the math there: $350 for gun and $450 for ammo will get you ~$1800+ rounds of half decent plain vanilla 9mm ammo. That's a lot of range time...

Robbins290
April 1, 2012, 10:45 AM
I agree ranger. My p95 has been solid. Put many, many rounds down range with it. No problems at all. My wife shoots it now, and when my 13 year old daughter vets older, it will b hers

tuj
April 1, 2012, 02:44 PM
Best to see if you can find a range that will let you rent some and try them out. See what feels good in your hand and what safety and trigger systems you are comfortable with.

My vote was a Glock 17 for simplicity, appropriate caliber and size and consistent (ie. always the same action) trigger.

Whatever you get, be sure to practice lots. Practice is more important than anything else.

ku4hx
April 1, 2012, 02:48 PM
Shoot many; buy one. Go to a range and try as many as you can, otherwise it's like buying shoes over the internet without knowing your shoe size.

easyg
April 1, 2012, 09:47 PM
Out of your list I recommend the Glock 19.

But I think the Ruger SR9c is better yet.

coalman
April 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
I think the 1911, or any single action only, is not an ideal choice for a first gun. I love the 1911, and the CZ75B is a fine weapon as well, I just think it best to cut one's teeth on something else. IMO, the more simple the better for a first gun, and definately stick to 9mm. The 9mm P226, M&P9 or Glock 17 are great options from those listed. Regardless, try all before you buy if possible.

Skribs
April 1, 2012, 11:34 PM
I'd have said XDm, can be had for under $800 and is my personal preference.

CMike
April 1, 2012, 11:41 PM
Glock 17 for reliability and easy to operate and clean.

ExTank
April 2, 2012, 12:22 AM
As long as you're playing Deutches Roulette, give Walther (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CustomContentDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10002&catalogId=13102&content=11001) a try as well. I like the P99, but the new PPQ is good as well.

Don't let the MSRPs fool you. I routinely see them going for ~$100 less than that NIB at gun shows.

wlewisiii
April 2, 2012, 02:55 AM
Glock or Ruger P depending on which trigger suits you better. Preferably deciding only after you've put several hundred rounds through each one.

Inebriated
April 2, 2012, 03:04 AM
Depends on what your hands like. Can't go wrong with either. The money saved on the cheaper ones could go towards ammo.

The Glock 17/19/20/21/22/23/30/31/32 or a Sig P226/P220/P229 would get my vote, but I just like them a lot more than any of the others on the list.

Tex4426
April 2, 2012, 03:05 AM
Steel--cz75 sp-01 if u want a rail and 75b if you don't, 1911

Polymer...ruger sr9..got 3 of them..for 70 bucks you can get drop in easy to instal trigger parts kit that makes the trigger great...or a glock..I don't like them but there a great gun

tarosean
April 2, 2012, 03:43 AM
All of those are very different in feel, balance and weight... you need to try them all out IMO...

iyn
April 2, 2012, 05:58 AM
glocks, XD, M&P, SR-9 are great auto loaders, but if you are skilled with a revolver why not buy another revolver or 2. use them to fight your way to your long guns. (opinion of an old guy)

el Godfather
April 2, 2012, 06:02 PM
HK USP 45.
Better pistol
Decocker
Safety

All the ingredients for a first pistol that you would want to keep for a long time.

Ranger30-06
April 2, 2012, 06:24 PM
HK USP 45.
Better pistol
Decocker
Safety

All the ingredients for a first pistol that you would want to keep for a long time.
Also twice as expensive as any other polymer frame pistol and a terrible trigger... Just sayin...

kludge
April 2, 2012, 06:29 PM
XD or XDm

thefamcnaj
April 2, 2012, 06:58 PM
As mentioned above I'd rent and shoot as many of your choices as I possibly could.
Me personally I started out with a Glock for my first semi. I liked the consistant trigger pull, size, weight, and ease of maintaining it. Its a very simple fire arm with no frills. There is no external saftey to deal with, and its a good first gun to train with imo.
With that said all the guns you have listed are fine choices. I love the p226, but am still working on DA/SA shooting. None of the choices you have will let you down.
I would say you might want to check out the Ruger SR series of pistols as well as the SA xd or xdm. The Ruger is very nice and really cheap for what you are getting. The xd is a lot like a glock and has a grip saftey. The xdm is the same thing, just a little nicer. I would throw them into the mix, just to have all your options out on the table.

qcsmitty
April 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
Write-in vote for Glock 19.

Steel - Browning Hi Power, CZ-75B

Yo Pilot,
Shoot me a PM with link to the source for a new BHP for less than $800.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/QCSmitty/Humor/Ben10winks.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "First Handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!