Desert eagle the most reliable gun ever made?

PDA

Constrictor
April 1, 2012, 12:41 AM
I just past my 3,000 round mark out of my stock DE 44 mag and wonder if everyone else thinks this may be the most reliable auto ever made? 3k rounds and not one jamb or issue. Its my only auto that nevet jammed.

Thinking about adding a .357 DE to my stash, are they as reliable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert eagle the most reliable gun ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FIVETWOSEVEN
April 1, 2012, 12:49 AM
There are many more guns out there that have been shot many more times without a single jam.

Tomcat47
April 1, 2012, 12:53 AM
I had a .357 and a .41 Magnum...miss them very much!

One day I will replace them! They are very reliable and I never had a malfunction at all.

PO2Hammer
April 1, 2012, 01:54 AM
My .357 would start to have problems after shooting 60-80 rounds. A thorough cleaning fixes that.

RhinoDefense
April 1, 2012, 02:01 AM
3,000 rounds in any handgun is just a start.

R.W.Dale
April 1, 2012, 02:29 AM

Isn't the glock torture test up over 15k rounds now?

posted via mobile device.

mrvco
April 1, 2012, 02:40 AM
I'm well on my way to 10k rounds through my Sig P226 without a single malfunction.

RhinoDefense
April 1, 2012, 03:31 AM
Isn't the glock torture test up over 15k rounds now?
Not sure. I don't deal with Glocks so I'm not sure what their marketing stuff is now.

mljdeckard
April 1, 2012, 03:51 AM
Not in my experience. DEs need hot ammo and some babying to avoid jamming.

Blackstone
April 1, 2012, 07:04 AM
What is a torture test looking for - first malfunction, or structural failure at some point of the gun?

allaroundhunter
April 1, 2012, 07:13 AM
From my experiences DEs are most definitely not the most reliable pistols ever made...much less the most reliable gun.

I would bet a Mossberg 500 or a Remington 870 will beat it out easily (just to name two).

docnyt
April 1, 2012, 07:55 AM
Too early for April Fool's Day.

The Lone Haranguer
April 1, 2012, 09:02 AM
Three thousand rounds with no stoppages, with a cartridge never designed for autoloading actions, is quite remarkable. :) But it is probably more exception than rule. I am sure it is fired and maintained under ideal and controlled conditions. Military and police service pistols may not be. I don't think the DE would do so well after, for example, being dropped in a mud puddle. Still, if I had more dollars than sense, I wouldn't mind having one, having always had a fascination for complex mechanical devices.

Too early for April Fool's Day.
This is April Fool's ... I see what you did there. :p

baylorattorney
April 1, 2012, 09:05 AM
That's too big a caliber to be all dependable. Colt m1903 is a better bet.

ku4hx
April 1, 2012, 09:15 AM
3,000 rounds is about 2 months shooting for me, maybe 2 1/2.

Representative "Torture Test":
http://membres.multimania.fr/shooter/glock/glock4.html

The Desert Eagle IS an awesome gun; sometimes I wish I still had my .44 Magnum version. But THE most reliable ever ... I'd vote "not enough data" on that one.

sirsloop
April 1, 2012, 10:12 AM
This a joke thread? Srsly

Constrictor
April 1, 2012, 11:23 AM
i usually shoot 100 rounds through my DE when i get her out. I am just always impressed when i shoot it because its so accurate, and its the only gun in my stable that has never ever jammed. I sure wish i could say that about my smith model 41!
I am thinking about adding some of the other DE calibers and wondered if they were as dependable as the 44 mag.

MachIVshooter
April 1, 2012, 11:33 AM

For a service or competition gun, I agree. But 3k is a lot in a big boomer, or even a pocket gun. I certainly didn't pu 3k through my .50 AE over the 7 years I had it. Probably more like 1,200. It's a hunting pistol, not a range toy, and it ain't like you can load .50 cheap. .44 is better, but still much more expensive than 9/40/45/38.

As for it being most reliable? Nope. They run very well when fed good ammo and handled properly, but a weak load, limp-wristing or pressure on the mag floorplate will cause them to jam.

Most accurate? Now that could be. These pistols exhibit bolt rifle-like accuracy. I never had mine in a ransom, but from the bench, could reliably put 5 bullets into 2.5" or less at 100 yards.

Pyro
April 1, 2012, 11:59 AM
Reliability could mean a lot of things.
My old rusty .25 auto has never jammed once irregardless of ammunition.

The Wiry Irishman
April 2, 2012, 11:01 AM
In my experience, the DE might possible be the most finicky quality autoloader on the market. Most of the problems seem to stem from the gas system, and they seem to have a very narrow range of loads with which they work reliably. They also seem incredibly sensitive to fouling. I've never seen one get close to 100 rounds between cleanings without starting to choke.

That said, they are lots of fun.

wally
April 2, 2012, 01:12 PM
i usually shoot 100 rounds through my DE when i get her out. I am just always impressed when i shoot it because its so accurate, and its the only gun in my stable that has never ever jammed.
Do you clean it after every outing?

Any gun that won't go at least a 1000 rounds without cleaning quickly becomes a safe queen for me. My .44 Mag DE is reliable, but only when clean, it has to be kept much cleaner than my normal range guns. Its a fun toy but ranks right up there with my AR pistol in the impractical department.

brickeyee
April 2, 2012, 01:33 PM
Have you figured out how to clean the gas passage?

Constrictor
April 2, 2012, 02:36 PM
3,000 rounds is about 2 months shooting for me, maybe 2 1/2.

Representative "Torture Test":
http://membres.multimania.fr/shooter/glock/glock4.html

The Desert Eagle IS an awesome gun; sometimes I wish I still had my .44 Magnum version. But THE most reliable ever ... I'd vote "not enough data" on that one.
why would 3,000 rounds be considered a lot in a big bore gun?

Constrictor
April 2, 2012, 02:39 PM
Do you clean it after every outing?

Any gun that won't go at least a 1000 rounds without cleaning quickly becomes a safe queen for me. My .44 Mag DE is reliable, but only when clean, it has to be kept much cleaner than my normal range guns. Its a fun toy but ranks right up there with my AR pistol in the impractical department.
Of course i clean it after every outing. the most ive shot it at one outing is probably 200 rounds. I always shoot jackets out of it because thats what they say it needs, and its very easy to clean with very little fouling. The gun came with a little cleaning tool for the gas chamber. I just love this gun.

wally
April 2, 2012, 08:27 PM
Try not cleaning it for 1000 rounds or more, I'm betting your opinion of its reliability will change.

Nothing really wrong with a gun that needs cleaning after every outing, but I don't like cleaning a gun today that I know will be shot again next week and the week after.

MachIVshooter
April 3, 2012, 01:06 AM
Have you figured out how to clean the gas passage?

I poured Hoppe's into it and let it soak for a couple days, then blasted it out with brake cleaner followed by compressed air.

That said, the build-up in there is self-limiting like an AR's gas tube; It'll only become so restricted. I only cleaned it because it annoyed me knowing it was dirty in there.

PabloJ
April 3, 2012, 09:31 AM
I just past my 3,000 round mark out of my stock DE 44 mag and wonder if everyone else thinks this may be the most reliable auto ever made? 3k rounds and not one jamb or issue. Its my only auto that nevet jammed.

Thinking about adding a .357 DE to my stash, are they as reliable.
No, but those have poor balance, are heavy and ugly guns. The original Automag on design of which it was made is far better gun.

fatcat4620
April 3, 2012, 09:56 AM
Not even close.

Constrictor
April 3, 2012, 10:07 AM
why would anyone that cared about their equipment let it sit uncleaned for months on end? that doesnt make any sense. It sounds as if your telling me that a gun will fail if it isnt properly maintained, and is abused? what mechanical item on earth wont fail if purposly abused?

eshelton
April 3, 2012, 03:16 PM
I had 3,000+ rounds in a bersa thunder .380 with out a single jam and it is by no means the most reliable hand gun ever

brickeyee
April 3, 2012, 03:56 PM
That said, the build-up in there is self-limiting like an AR's gas tube; It'll only become so restricted. I only cleaned it because it annoyed me knowing it was dirty in there.

Not even close.

And AR gas tubes are cleanable.

Jim K
April 3, 2012, 10:54 PM
Not taking anything from the DE, but I logged 8500 rounds through a Norinco 1911 with 0 problems, and have no doubt it would have gone many more. In my limited experience, reliability of one gun does not always extend to all guns of that make or that model or that type. The GI 1911 was undoubtedly the most reliable military pistol of the WWII era, but other guns today are as reliable and the 1911, due mostly to the multitude of makers who turn out cheap junkers that look like a 1911, has slipped on the reliability scale.

Jim

dhyde79
April 4, 2012, 02:57 AM
Try not cleaning it for 1000 rounds or more, I'm betting your opinion of its reliability will change.

Nothing really wrong with a gun that needs cleaning after every outing, but I don't like cleaning a gun today that I know will be shot again next week and the week after.

that's a bit on the irresponsible side isn't it?
Part of good firearms ownership is cleaning it before you put it away....
the military teaches you to clean your rifle as often as you can, as any buildup can effect your accuracy.
law enforcement teaches you to clean as often as possible as a jam can get you killed in a dangerous situation.
and common sense says you shouldn't try to go as long as you can without cleaning just because.
You don't take your car and run it for as many miles as you possibly can without changing the oil/air filter/oil filter/etc. just because you don't like doing the preventative maintenance do you? Why would you advocate doing the same to a firearm?

mljdeckard
April 4, 2012, 09:53 AM
No. The military teaches overcleaning, and their standard for accuracy isn't going to be affected by a dirty bore. (4 MOA at 100 meters.) Many weapons in the military are damaged from cleaning that goes way past function and into appearance.

I wouldn't go a thousand rounds without cleaning under most circumstances, but at the same time, if a gun can't go a couple of hundred rounds without jamming, do you REALLY want to trust your life to it anyway?

oso
April 4, 2012, 12:11 PM
every manufacturer puts out pistols that are reliable and they also put out pistols that are not reliable,just the nature of the beast. some makes and models are more reliable than others but there is always the exception to the rule. 3000 rds. as others have stated really is not that many rds. i have a taurus pt 99 i bought in 1986 that i have 27,000 + rds through and only have had 1 malfunction.

Constrictor
April 4, 2012, 12:19 PM
No. The military teaches overcleaning, and their standard for accuracy isn't going to be affected by a dirty bore. (4 MOA at 100 meters.) Many weapons in the military are damaged from cleaning that goes way past function and into appearance.

I wouldn't go a thousand rounds without cleaning under most circumstances, but at the same time, if a gun can't go a couple of hundred rounds without jamming, do you REALLY want to trust your life to it anyway?
I doubt anyone is going to carry this gun or use it as a defense gun because of its size and weight. Its a novelty gun. I am a big guy and love the feel of it, and simply amazed every time i shoot it and it has always been 100% reliable and very accurate. I keep asking my local bullseye shoot if i cann shoot it in bullsye and they think it would be too distracting to the other shooters shooting .22's and small caliber centerfire. On a side note i shot 300 rounds through her last night. and yes she got cleaned after my outing!

mljdeckard
April 4, 2012, 09:07 PM
I do have a friend who carries one in .44 and .357.

allaroundhunter
April 4, 2012, 09:15 PM
I doubt anyone is going to carry this gun or use it as a defense gun because of its size and weight.

Read up....

Man holds robber at gunpoint with .50 AE Desert Eagle (I doubt anyone is going to carry this gun or use it as a defense gun because of its size and weight.)

seed
May 9, 2012, 11:30 PM
I poured Hoppe's into it and let it soak for a couple days, then blasted it out with brake cleaner followed by compressed air.

I know I'm a bit late to this thread party, but I have to ask: exactly what did you do to pour the Hoppes in the gas tube and blast it out? How was it done, I mean? Also, how is the build-up "self-limiting"? I'm not trying to be a smart ass...I seriously am curious.

FIVETWOSEVEN
May 10, 2012, 11:39 AM
Read up....

Man holds robber at gunpoint with .50 AE Desert Eagle

He ran outside his house in his underwear to stop that guy. That's not carrying, that's just grabbing it for the moment.

If you enjoyed reading about "Desert eagle the most reliable gun ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!