cheapest home defense shotgun?

PDA

Jackal1
April 1, 2012, 04:47 AM
I have a regular lower-end Mossberg 500 field and slugster interchangeable barrel shotgun for clays and deer.

I am looking for a separate shotgun for HD. I do not just want to put a spare barrel on my current shotgun. Any suggestions for what the cheapest model would be that fulfills my criteria below would be very appreciated!

I want a U.S.A. made, pump action, extended magazine tube (~8 rds), 18.5 to 22" barrel, rifle sights with picatinny rail (or at least need the receiver pre-drilled and tapped so I could install a picatinny rail with a red dot scope in the future). Cylinder bore or exchangeable chokes are ok.

Thanks for any suggestions!

If you enjoyed reading about "cheapest home defense shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gamestalker
April 1, 2012, 06:44 AM
I have a couple of short barreled 12 ga. SG I keep loaded for home defense. One is an 18 1/2" Charles Daly, an 870 clone. It's as strong and reliable as the 870 is, and also comes with sling swivels installed. My other short barreled is a Mossberg 500 with interchangable choke tubes and the sling swivels also. Both of those have 3" chambers too.

I think I spent $250-ish for the NIB Charles Daly. It is parkerized black with black synthetic stock. I don't remember what I spent for the Mossberg NIB.

Of the two, I much prefer the Charles Daly simply because it is an 870 design and functions exactly the same.

jmr40
April 1, 2012, 07:12 AM
You can spend less money, but I wouldn't sugggest anything less than a Mossberg 500. I know you said USA made, but a Benelli Nova isn't much more expensive and is a much, much better gun for the money, with a Remington 870 in the mix as well.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good HD shotgun, but you do want one that has proven to be reliable.

snooperman
April 1, 2012, 08:17 AM
I would go to several gun shops or pawn shops and look for a good solid Remington 870, Winchester 1300, Mossberg, or the wonderful Ithaca 37. I have several and they are not pretty but are old solid performers with Walnut stocks, and blued steel. These guns have a good track record for reliability. Snoop

gp911
April 1, 2012, 11:50 AM
I agree with Snoop and add the Winchester Model 12 to the list of guns to look for. You can get out the door for $250 or so and have a great gun that will outlast you. Scratches and dings don't affect function and the older guns are very well built & cycle super-smooth after you clean some of the 50-yr old gunk out of 'em. If you're lucky you'll find a nice example that already has a short barrel on it.

TXSWFAN
April 1, 2012, 12:27 PM
It's not made in the US, but IMO, the Benelli Nova Tactical is the best shotgun around for the money.

http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli-nova-pump-tactical.php

SimplyChad
April 1, 2012, 12:35 PM
Where is the maverk made?

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
Those Benellis are beautiful, however the price does not hit me as being what the OP asked for and that was "CHEAPEST Home Defense Shotgun?":)

snooperman
April 1, 2012, 01:40 PM
by Mossberg in the U.S. You can do better for the money by buying an American made gun.

JAshley73
April 1, 2012, 02:06 PM
I have a regular lower-end Mossberg 500 field and slugster interchangeable barrel shotgun for clays and deer.
------------------------------
I want a U.S.A. made, pump action, extended magazine tube (~8 rds), 18.5 to 22" barrel....!

The obvious answer here, (if you MUST have another gun) is...

........<drum roll>.............

...another mossberg 500. Please understand that your field gun, even with it's longer barrel can fight off the Baddies - IF you do your part. I think in any self defense scenario, whichever gun chosen is going to perform far better than the individual's nerves and adrenaline will.

That being said, if you must have another gun, get another 500. In a high stress situation you are going to want a weapon in which you, and your muscle's memory, already know the controlls. In this case, it's already the 500. Plus, it meets all of your criteria as well.

My advice to you is... Read the stickied "101" threads, get some training, then burn through some ammo... :)

TXSWFAN
April 1, 2012, 05:01 PM
Those Benellis are beautiful, however the price does not hit me as being what the OP asked for and that was "CHEAPEST Home Defense Shotgun?"

IMO, $400 for a shotgun is cheap.

Rocketmedic
April 1, 2012, 08:34 PM
IMO, $400 for a shotgun is way too much.

My clean Mossberg 500 was $130 OTD. My High Standard Pointer (Gibson-brand Flite King) was pristine for $120. My JC Higgens Model 20 was $90 OTD.

INMY01TA
April 1, 2012, 08:51 PM
Mossberg Maverick 8 shot.

TurtlePhish
April 1, 2012, 09:12 PM
Maverick 88s are awesome for the money.

Deltaboy
April 1, 2012, 09:14 PM
Hit the used gun shops and get a 870, A whinny or a Classic 37!

USAF_Vet
April 1, 2012, 09:16 PM
by Mossberg in the U.S. You can do better for the money by buying an American made gun.
Untrue. The Mav 88 is made in the USA, in Texas. Some of the parts are made in Mexico of raw materials that originate in the US.

it is, imho, the best US made budget pump gun you can buy.

FMF Doc
April 2, 2012, 06:43 PM
Since you are already familiar with the Mossy platform, get either a 500 of 590. You can pick up basic 20" 9 shot 500 for about $400. For only a little more, you can get the 590, with better corrosion resistant coating, heavier grade moving parts, heavy walled barrel and standard 20" barrel and 9 shot capacity. I would go with the latter, and they can be found for $450 or less, at least in my part of the "woods". I wouldn't go too cheap if you are going to have to to protect home and hearth.

INMY01TA
April 2, 2012, 06:56 PM
The 590 is damn sweet, I held one in Dicks Sporting Goods less than a week ago, but you can get 2 Mavericks for the price of one 590.

Teachu2
April 2, 2012, 07:41 PM
Let's see - HD shotgun, primary use is to save you and yours lives. And you want the cheapest....

Would you buy tires for your family car based on what you could get cheapest?

Buy a quality used gun, and know you made the better choice.

hso
April 2, 2012, 07:51 PM
U.S.A. made That's going to nearly be tough if you want to keep the price down below your Mossberg. Just get a Maverick or a second 500 with an 18-in barrel.

SharkHat
April 2, 2012, 08:01 PM
Let's see - HD shotgun, primary use is to save you and yours lives. And you want the cheapest....

Buy a quality used gun, and know you made the better choice.

Maybe the motivating factor is not wanting to have $400+ tied up in a gun that will hopefully never get fired after familiarization. Or if the unfortunate day comes when it must be fired, having it gather dust in an evidence locker.

While cheap pump guns like the Mav88 may not be a top choice for wingshooting or clay sports, I'm sure that they can meet the reliability standard that most people would need for Home Defense. The tire analogy falls short.

Jackal1
April 2, 2012, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone!

It seems that the cheapest of the cheap that meets my critieria would be a Maverick 88. What I've dug up is that some Maverick models are made in U.S. and others are made in Mexico, but I haven't found a rhyme or reason. Is there a particular model that is made in the U.S. or does production location change randomly for the various Maverick models? I haven't found any Maverick's in my area, so I likely wouldn't be able to look at the gun to see the manufacturing location prior to purchase since I would have to order it.

A step up from the Maverick would be to get a Mossberg 590 which would definitely meet my critieria.

One other question, though... I've noticed that you can not easily add a magazine extension to the standard Mossberg 500 field gun, so even if I put an 18.5" barrel on my 500, I would be limited to the low capacity field magazine. I heard through the grapevine that the new Remington 870's no longer have the magazine 'dimples' and now aftermarket extended magazine tubes can readily be installed. So, with the new 870's you can swap field, slug, and home defense barrels as well as field or home defense magazine tubes. Is that true? If so, when did the 870 magazine design change? I might find myself selling the Mossberg and getting an 870 so that I just have one gun in the safe instead of 2 different guns where 1 just sits all the time.

BTW - the reason I'm looking for a 'cheap' home defense gun is because I have other primary home defense firearms. I just want a home defense shotgun to round out the collection. That being said, if the Mav88 is a junker I'd rather have a Moss590...

Thanks!

Walking Dead
April 2, 2012, 08:24 PM
Just buy a pistol for home defense. You can deffinetly do that on the cheap.

FMF Doc
April 2, 2012, 10:19 PM
There are 20" barreled models of the 500 for home defense that come with a longer tube holding 8 rounds. You could get one of them or you can order a factory tube from any number of sources, I suggest midway, or any other sponsor of this site. The wonderfull thing about the Mossberg 500 series of guns is that whether it is a trap gun, a turkey gun, deer gun off home defense gun, anything "500" is generally interchangable. It's like legos for big kids!

ElToro
April 2, 2012, 11:26 PM
you can get a used 870 for 250.

not a fan of moss or maverick at all

Owen Sparks
April 2, 2012, 11:46 PM
You wan't the cheapest?

How much is your life worth?

Get the best that you can afford!

sirsloop
April 2, 2012, 11:55 PM
I wouldnt go with anything cheaper than an 870 or 500. My buddy has this REAL cheap sears pump and it's got tons of problems. He stopped bringing the thing to sporting clays cause of all the ft feed ft fire...

Jackal1
April 3, 2012, 04:30 AM
There are 20" barreled models of the 500 for home defense that come with a longer tube holding 8 rounds.

Thanks! I found a replacement 8rd mag tube and 20" barrel with rifle sights combo package at Brownells.com for $150 bucks. I didn't know that was even an option....

Considering that I would be swapping out the mag tube when I go to shoot clays, and swapping it again when I return home.... anyone had issues with the steel magazine threads wearing out the aluminum threads in the receiver?

Thanks for the info!

Jon Coppenbarger
April 3, 2012, 08:44 AM
just look around the pawn shops and try to find a model 12 or 37 or what ever suits you. I look for those with those ugly old muffler type of chokes on them as you can usually get a smoking deal on them.
The model 12's will hold 6 in the tube so I just cut the barrel down to 20" (like that length). install a new bead and a little cold blue and you have a fine home defense shotgun.

fatcat4620
April 3, 2012, 08:53 AM
I bought an eight shot 590 for $150 about two years ago. Just keep your eyes open and some cash in your wallet and a deal will come by.

LeonCarr
April 3, 2012, 09:09 AM
As mentioned the pawn shops here locally usually have several shotguns on the rack, and with 10 million 870s and almost the same number of Mossbergs out there, finding a used one at a good price should be pretty easy.

Also as mentioned the shotguns with the muffler style adjustable chokes on the muzzle (Cutts Compensator, Poly Choke, C-Lect Choke, etc) can usually be found cheaper, and those devices work suprisingly well :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

DFisher3112
April 3, 2012, 09:36 AM
Remington Express shotguns just went on sale at my local Dick's sporting goods. I think they were running around $300. That would be a solid HD gun. You can add some small things to it such as a side saddle to hold more rounds just in case.

The War Wagon
April 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
I am looking for a separate shotgun for HD... Any suggestions for what the cheapest model would be that fulfills my criteria below would be very appreciated!

Is it JUST me... or does this sound like, you REALLY want to trust your LIFE, and the lives of your LOVED ONES... to the cheapest suggestion proffered by a bunch of complete strangers, who have LESS emotional & familial attachment to you, than the family you're trying to... 'protect'... does? :o

Do we really stop & think about some of the things we say, and what they MEAN, before we say them? "Hey - my family is ONLY worth the CHEAPEST option given me by complete strangers!" :o

BEFORE I answer your question, would you be willing to contemplate THESE questions, BEFORE your purchase (and do NOT feel like you need to answer to me, or anyone ELSE here! This is YOUR home, YOUR family, and YOUR decision! I'm just hoping to give you more 'food for thought,' before you start putting down hard-earned money...)?

1) What is my TRUE aptitude with firearms?

2) Do I practice regularly, or buy them, throw them in a closet/safe, and PRAY I never need to so much as LOAD them, much less DEPLOY them, in a life & death situation?

3) Do I and/or my family really NEED protection? Do we live in, 'da 'HOOD, where a violent encounter IS of a higher magnitude likely, than in a rural/suburban setting? Not that 'hobbyist' ISN'T a valid enough reason to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights, but ask yourself - IS this truly a HD investment... or a hobbyist purchase? It WILL motivate you in a more HONEST direction.

4) Do I have OTHER security measures in place (steel doors, deadbolts, security motion lights, guard dog, silent alarm), if I'm REALLY worried about home security?

5) Is EVERYONE in the house on-board with, "THE PLAN," should an intruder break in? How about if the power went out for an extended period of time? How about a tornado, earthquake, or other natural disaster struck? Do you have OTHER measures considered, especially food/water storage? I have 4 small children - they will NOT be satisfied come meal time, with 12 gauge slugs, THAT'S for sure... :o

6) Are you limited by UN-Constitutional local ordinances, that prevent you from owning something BETTER than, "the cheapest shotgun" for home defense?

This one is crucial, because while shotguns are GREAT for turkey, pheasant, & other birds, there ARE better weapons for home defense, and I've yet to have a goose try & break into MY house.

I own two shotguns, and both ARE set up for CQB. I also have the least amount of ammo for them, as they are the LAST line of defense - even my Benelli M1 Super 90 Tactical - hardly a 'cheap' shotgun.

LIKE most firearm owners, if something goers bump in the night, I'm PROBABLY going to respond with one of these - most likely the stainless one.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/1911s.jpg

Yeah, the one on the bottom looks better suited to the night - but I'm NOT as well trained on it yet. I'm a man, who's GOT to know my limitations! I've set it UP for the night shift, but I've yet to even fire it. I work with what I KNOW.

Should it all hit the fan, and the golden horde be roaming the streets, I then go to my serious HD lineup.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/New%20build/100_8368.jpg

Yeah, the bottom one is a .22LR, BUT... a) it's a dedicated .22LR - I can pop the upper off, put a 5.56 upper on it, and be ready for serious work with a change of the magazine! b) My wife or my oldest (age 11) could still use it as/is, in a pinch.

Nonetheless, precision fire is much more helpful in home defense, than scattershot - even with #4 buck or better. I'd strongly suggest reading this thread (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98918), as part of your home defense preparation.

And again, I DO OWN shotguns. They're very nice, & if that's all I have left, I KNOW how to deploy them. They're just NOT my FIRST choice, no matter how NICE... or 'cheap'... they be.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc305/The_War_Wagon/100_7593.jpg

Sheepdog1968
April 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
Based on concersations with instructors who teach shotgun self defense classes and in my personal experience, the 500 or 590 are great reliable shotguns. The Mavericks are not as reliable. I think you want more reliable for the few dollars difference between them.

Dave McCracken
April 3, 2012, 12:22 PM
Call me Captain Obvious.....

You have a 500. You have a set of "Chops" built up with that.

Get another 500. With all the controls the same, practice with one is practice with the other.

I did this with 870s for a few decades. It works....

MrDig
April 3, 2012, 02:02 PM
Call me Captain Obvious.....

You have a 500. You have a set of "Chops" built up with that.

Get another 500. With all the controls the same, practice with one is practice with the other.

I did this with 870s for a few decades. It works....
Bingo We have a winner. Why not get another 500 in a different configuration? I'm preferential to the 500 series but sounds like the OP is too He already has one.

FMF Doc
April 3, 2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks! I found a replacement 8rd mag tube and 20" barrel with rifle sights combo package at Brownells.com for $150 bucks. I didn't know that was even an option....

Considering that I would be swapping out the mag tube when I go to shoot clays, and swapping it again when I return home.... anyone had issues with the steel magazine threads wearing out the aluminum threads in the receiver?

Thanks for the info!
Never heard of any problems, or seen any with those I have had. Pretty much everything Mossy builds will last and last.

Jackal1
April 3, 2012, 06:48 PM
Regarding repeated rethreading of the steel magazine tube into the steel receiver:
Never heard of any problems, or seen any with those I have had. Pretty much everything Mossy builds will last and last.

Thanks everyone for your awesome help! I have narrowed it down to two options, and either will be a good outcome. I'm going to keep my eyes open for a used Mossberg 590, but if I don't find one in a decent amount of time I'll go ahead and get the replacement extended magazine tube and 20" barrel with iron sights.

Thanks all! :-)

reckless carolinian
April 4, 2012, 10:58 AM
Bonus to having a pair of 500s around, parts can be swapped in case of breakdown.

bubba in ca
April 4, 2012, 06:48 PM
shortest learning curve--buy another Mossberg.
money tight--pick up a good used one.

maverick new for $200 is another option. but it has a different safety than your mossberg.

4thPointOfContact
April 4, 2012, 07:15 PM
Floating around somewhere, I'm sure is a video of someone running a single-barrel on a shotgun course. It Might have been Clint Smith, I dunno.
edit: found it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw
Sometimes it's the shooter and not the equipment that matters.

rcmodel
April 4, 2012, 08:34 PM
Zactly!

A 14 year-old quail hunter with his daddys old single-shot would be a formidable opponent in a HD situation!

I could get a double on a quail raise more often then not 50+ years ago.

rc

tarosean
April 5, 2012, 04:04 AM

You wan't the cheapest?

How much is your life worth?

Is it JUST me... or does this sound like, you REALLY want to trust your LIFE, and the lives of your LOVED ONES... to the cheapest suggestion proffered by a bunch of complete strangers, who have LESS emotional & familial attachment to you, than the family you're trying to... 'protect'... does?
Do we really stop & think about some of the things we say, and what they MEAN, before we say them? "Hey - my family is ONLY worth the CHEAPEST option given me by complete strangers!"

Just Curious.

What do poor people do??? should they just roll over dead? Toss their hands in the air and surrender?

1858remington
April 5, 2012, 04:11 AM
Spend a little more and go for a Saiga.
The 20round drum makes good home defence.:D

Old Shooter
April 5, 2012, 07:03 AM
Mayby instead of saying you want the cheapest HD shotgun you should have said you are looking for the most reliable, least expensive HD shotgun.

Using cheap and HD in the same sentence tends to get some panties in a wad. :)

Another 500 is a fine way to go.

Sav .250
April 5, 2012, 08:17 AM
Might try your local Gun Show........if you have any.

TXSWFAN
April 5, 2012, 10:50 AM
Just Curious.

What do poor people do??? should they just roll over dead? Toss their hands in the air and surrender?

I would suggest getting off their behinds and working 2 or 3 jobs so they're not poor. This is America. The reason they're poor is because they made bad life choices and won't do what's neccessary to not be poor.

tarosean
April 5, 2012, 12:10 PM
I would suggest getting off their behinds and working 2 or 3 jobs so they're not poor. This is America. The reason they're poor is because they made bad life choices and won't do what's neccessary to not be poor.

Dang, hit em while they're down why dont ya.

My retort (that doesn't veer way into the political, handouts, lazy americans spectrum....)

would be a 70-100 dollar Mossberg 195 will go bang as a HD weapon... Sure it dont look takycool but it works..

cbr954fz1
April 5, 2012, 12:37 PM
i have and have used a maverick88 for a 3gun match w/out any issues but currently use a 870 w/extension tube that has locked up during a few matches...so my 88 is set up w/18" barrel for the house and the 870 is at the gunsmiths to be checked out but has been a disappointment...i use and have 11-87auto in 12 and 20ga as backup..cbr

mr.scott
April 5, 2012, 04:58 PM
I think a lot of people get caught up in pride of ownership over functionality. When it comes down to it, cheap guns kill a lot more people than expensive guns.

mr.scott
April 5, 2012, 05:44 PM

Or maybe they had a set back and are being responsible and paying their bills and feeding their kids. Not everyone is poor because they make bad choices. I make pretty good money but a lot of it is spent on my children 1St. A significant portion of that is spent on one child due to her being disabled. To those that say buy the best you can afford, are you going to tell me a glock is a piece of crap because I have an HK?
Stop trying to justify your purchases by insulting others.

Jon Coppenbarger
April 5, 2012, 07:15 PM
Does all that money make you shoot better ? LOL

Which hurts more if shot by it at 15 feet down a hall way in a house?

A = single shot break open

B = bennelli auto

C = mossberg 500

D = All of the above

I would pick D but then again I am not stupid rich.

Jackal1
April 5, 2012, 08:34 PM
I appreciate everybody's responses... but I think this has gotten a little bit out of hand. I think my original post has been answered adequately as I tried stating in post #38.

Larry Ashcraft
April 5, 2012, 08:49 PM
Asked and answered.

Closed on OP request.

If you enjoyed reading about "cheapest home defense shotgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!