Are PF9s still cracking slides?

PDA

wickedsprint
April 2, 2012, 12:37 PM
Considering one for CCW during summer..but the slide cracking is a little alarming. Have they resolved this yet?

If you enjoyed reading about "Are PF9s still cracking slides?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wild cat mccane
April 2, 2012, 04:10 PM
go to KTOG and the PF-9 section. Seems no cracking slides, but about every single thing else is a problem now.

I wouldn't buy right now.

wickedsprint
April 2, 2012, 06:47 PM
Think I'm going to hold off for now, thanks!

gpjoe
April 2, 2012, 09:38 PM
Mine has been fine, but I don't put a lot of rounds through it. Just enough to be comfortable with it and assure that it functions properly. I never figured it to be a high round count pistol.

wild cat mccane
April 2, 2012, 10:16 PM
MY pf-9 seemed to follow the problem PF-9 route. They work fine UNTIL 300+ rounds.

The KTOG is funny to read. The admins have a hard time pretending there isn't a large amount of problem posts lately.

MCgunner
April 2, 2012, 10:19 PM
Oh, I don't know. I quit counting rounds on my P11 at 11,000. It's snapped ONE extractor, all that's ever happened to it. I bought it new in 1996 and it's a constant carry piece.

MachIVshooter
April 2, 2012, 10:23 PM
Still cracking? Never heard of them doing it to begin with. My early production unit has been just dandy, probably somehwere around 800-1,000 rounds through it.

Please remember, one or two incidents does not an epidemic make. My stepdad's brand new Duramax diesel with 11k miles just had the fuel injection system crap out completely, doesn't mean that it's a chronic problem or that the Duramax is junk. Just an (unfortunate) isolated incident.

gpr
April 2, 2012, 10:45 PM
i didn't know there was a slide issue....maybe you are thinking of a walther....gary

frankmako
April 2, 2012, 11:36 PM
the problem with the pf9 you don't know which pf9 you will get. you either get the one that works right out of the box or the problem child. i pickup a used one that i knew was a problem child. it took me several months along with many free parts from kel tec, along with a slide/barrel exchange to make the gun work. i have changed out every part in the gun except the frame. even changed the grip. i shot around 1,800 rounds through the gun during the fixing. most of the ammo was reloads. i like working on guns so it was no big deal for me. but now i can say the gun works. i have seen pf9 work out of the box without any problems. so you got a 50/50 chance on what you get. as small 9mm goes the pf9 is the best value for the money. i am thinking about getting the diamondback dp9, 9mm to see how it runs.

leadchucker
April 3, 2012, 09:52 PM
PF-9 owner here. Lots of complaints at KTOG, but I suspect that's because the people with problems are the only ones who post much there. There have been duds, but not an alarming number of them, relative to the number of PF-9's out there. From what I hear there, Keltec customer service is pretty quick to deal with problems, although I have never personally had to deal with them.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Mine has shot 700+ rounds of all types and heat, and nary a malfunction or problem.

coop2564
April 3, 2012, 10:53 PM
Ive had no problems with mine.

TxBobS
April 4, 2012, 01:19 AM
Several hundred rounds through mine and it has been flawless. It is my EDC so I'm quite pleased with it.

TennJed
April 4, 2012, 01:42 AM
I had a PF9 with over 1000 rounds and had around 3 or 4 FTE during the first couple hundred. Zero issues after that. I traded it for a P11 b/c i wanted the higher capacity. No issues with the P11. Also have a P3AT with no FTF. Both have 500 or so rounds through them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6734627277_fcb8040aaa_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6734169387_09e9565dbc_z.jpg

Giterboosted
April 4, 2012, 01:07 PM
A very close friend just picked one up for his first carry gun, is there anything I should look for?

TxBobS
April 4, 2012, 03:01 PM
A very close friend just picked one up for his first carry gun, is there anything I should look for?
Ammo :)

okc-zee
April 4, 2012, 04:16 PM
I carried my PF9 for just under 2 years..at around the 1500 round mark a crack appeared in my slide...Needless to say Kel Tec took care of it quickly by sending me one of their new ceram-kote slides as I returned the cracked one..After that I sold it...Aside from the fluff and buff and working out a few quirks in the beginning,it was flawless and a reliable gun that I trusted my life to... However,when the slide cracked I was done...I now alternate carry a Kahr CM9 and an LCP...My wife carries an LC9 which I'm thinking about adding as well as hers has been pretty impressive...Just my .02...

wickedsprint
April 4, 2012, 08:48 PM
Well...I decided to give one a try. Green slide and black frame. Installed belt clip. Don't like feel of mag extension though...squishes my hand.

Giterboosted
April 5, 2012, 01:04 AM
His was used so it's fairly well broken in, however I haven't given it a super scrutinizing inspection yet, where do I look for cracks?

MICHAEL T
April 5, 2012, 01:20 AM
Mine around 400 rounds no trouble Has become one of my main carry

hardluk1
April 5, 2012, 08:51 PM
wickedsprint Put a few layers of bicycle innertube on the grip, different widths, to help with control at first. Recoil on them can be rough on most hands. Clean it well , oil it well and read up at KTOG . Many of us scrap off the caseing line on the grip frame, even smoothed the texturing. Polish egdes, mag followers too. I carried one for 2 1/2 years and run right around 2000 rounds thru it. have it a to a family member and both a kahr. Still wished I had kept it. Good light pistol. Just a bit fugly rough around the edges but allways went bang.

wickedsprint
April 5, 2012, 09:30 PM
wickedsprint Put a few layers of bicycle innertube on the grip, different widths, to help with control at first. Recoil on them can be rough on most hands. Clean it well , oil it well and read up at KTOG . Many of us scrap off the caseing line on the grip frame, even smoothed the texturing. Polish egdes, mag followers too. I carried one for 2 1/2 years and run right around 2000 rounds thru it. have it a to a family member and both a kahr. Still wished I had kept it. Good light pistol. Just a bit fugly rough around the edges but allways went bang.

Thanks for the advice! Cleaned and oiked it and Put 100rds of cheap stuff and 20 rds of +P to check functioning. No issues.

nearlynormalmike
April 5, 2012, 09:52 PM
I am one of the unlucky owners. Numerous malfunctions from the start with FTE and light primer strikes. Sent it back to KT who promptly returned it with no improvements. Back to KT again. Has been about month, haven't gotten it back yet and I must admit I am less than thrilled with the whole episode.

mtnkid85
April 6, 2012, 02:09 PM
Im usure what to think of this little gun. I have personal experience with on that has ~400rds through it with all but no issues. The gun runs just fine.
My biggest issue was ripping the front sight off while drawing from concealment. Gave me an excuse to figure out a night sight for it.

When shooting these LITTLE guns you really need to concentrate on the basics, make sure your not limp wristing the thing, keep your giant man paws off the slide, dont rest your thumb on the slide lock (SOoo thats why my slide wasnt locking back!?).
I just wonder sometimes if some of the issues we hear about are user error.

For the first several range trips I could not figure out why my slide wouldnt lock back on an empty magazine. I was certain my thumb wasnt on the lever... That is untell I really changed my thumb location on the grip, "taadaaa" functioning slide lock. lol

Just my thoughts on this neat little gun.

evan price
April 6, 2012, 02:33 PM
Never heard of cracking slides in the PF9- you thiking of the Walther P22?

Mine was a piece of junk I bought used, one of the first ones/low serial numbers made. It had nearly any malf you coudl think of. Finally broke the locking pin. I Hated it and wouldn't trust it. Finally sent it back to KelTec and the gun they sent back was transformed into an utterly reliable and fully tamed piece that I trust to carry. They basically jacked up the slide and slid a new gun under it. Magnificent service.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are PF9s still cracking slides?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!