Would you trade a S&W 638 for a CZ Rami P 9mm?

PDA

Glockedout17
April 3, 2012, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

I'm having a dilemma here. I have been reading about the short life expectancy of the S&W aluminum Airweights and to tell you the truth it's bothering me , because I like to shoot alot. I recently bought an aluminum Smith and Wesson model 638 j-frame and haven't been out to shoot it, so basically it's still in brand new condition. I was talking to a guy at the range and he said that he would trade me his Like New in Box CZ Rami P 9mm for my Brand New in Box S&W 638. His gun has about 300 rds through it ( so he claims) and mine has none. I was wondering would I be better off keeping my 638 or is this a good trade off? I like the look of the CZ and I want to know will it's Polymer frame surpass the life expectancy of the Aluminum frame 638? I need some help and expert advice. Thanks in advance guys

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you trade a S&W 638 for a CZ Rami P 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Godsgunman
April 3, 2012, 12:12 PM
I would definitely take him up on the trade. CZs are nice, reliable, and very accurate. In my opinion you would be coming out on top for that trade. Since you met at the range I would ask him for a "test drive" to make sure you like how it works for you. If it were me I would do it in a heart beat.

skt239
April 3, 2012, 01:22 PM
Not in a million years. Your 638 will out last you.

jmr40
April 3, 2012, 01:39 PM
As a rule plastic frames have proven to have the longest life expectency, aluminum alloy the shortest.

I still wouldn't trade, if you can afford enough ammo to wear out either, you can afford to replace the guns several times over.

CZ = overrated

jon86
April 3, 2012, 01:43 PM
You haven't even shot the 638? You might fall in love with the little j frame.

Glockedout17
April 3, 2012, 03:57 PM
Your right, I should shoot my 638 and see if I like it. You see the thing is, is that I want a gun that will outlast me and not have to worry about this frame wearing in the next 10 years (considering that i'm still alive). From since I read about aluminum frames having the shortest life expectancy, I labeled the gun not durable.

dcarch
April 3, 2012, 07:13 PM
I would do that trade, personally. CZs are good pistols.

contender
April 3, 2012, 07:59 PM
if you are going to pocket carry....638.
if you need a backup gun.....638.

if you need a primary belt gun......cz.

ClickClickD'oh
April 3, 2012, 08:08 PM
if you need a primary belt gun......cz.

You do realize the CZ 2075 and not the -75B is the firearm in question right?

contender
April 3, 2012, 08:52 PM
yes............the cz from the get-go is around 12 oz heavier unloaded than the 638 and considerably more bulky in dimensions........not exactly what i would call a snag-free pocket gun....at least for my pockets.

and not everyone wants to carry a full-size firearm such as the cz75 for owb/iwb carry all day long. The smaller cz would be a good choice for belt carry if ccw is in mind. the 638 has the advantage for pocket carry.

if this is just a range toy, then i'll pass on both and definately go with a cz.....preferably a model 85

thefamcnaj
April 3, 2012, 09:09 PM
Make the trade imho. I love the rami. Its accurate and has good ergos and is a fantastic all around piece. CZ is not at all over rated by any stretch of the imigination. Of course I'm a little bias to plastic auto loaders :). Not much of a wheel gunner.

skt239
April 3, 2012, 09:29 PM
You do realize the CZ 2075 and not the -75B is the firearm in question right?

The Rami is not a small or light gun and certainly not pocketable. As someone else said, it's better suited for OWB/IWB.

Glock,

What did you read that made you label the 638 "not durable"? Could you provide us with a link or source? Was the article specifically about S&W's? The author clearly didn't take into account how long the aluminum J-frame has been around and how many are still serviceable after 50+ years. The contemporary J-frame is built on a stronger frames then those 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 and even 60 year old revolvers that are still around and holding up fine.

So, how about a link or source?

Fat Boy
April 3, 2012, 09:53 PM
Apples and oranges, in my opinion- both good firearms for their intended purpose-

Do you want a revolver or semi? and so forth.

Good Luck!

Axel Larson
April 3, 2012, 10:00 PM
I love my 638 so, I would keep it but if you prefer the cz go for it, but do not worry about how long the 638 is going to last.

TennJed
April 4, 2012, 12:47 AM
Shoot yours first then his, then decide

postalnut25
April 4, 2012, 12:52 AM
Keep the 638. If you are worried about the life expectancy of the aluminum alloy frame, then shoot standard loads instead of hotter +P loads. Should last a LOOONNG time.

Glockedout17
April 4, 2012, 09:12 AM
skt239,
Here is the link you asked for. If it doesn't work just type "J-frame Life expectancy?" in the search engine. It's a thread from this site.

http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-500332

In it they talk about an aluminum j-frame having a maximum round count of 5,000 - 10,000 rds. They also say that aluminum alloy has the most shortest life expectancy and that Polymer is more durable, flexable, and has a longer life expectancy than aluminum.

Here's another link: http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-370611.html

Then again, I don't know much about guns period (that's where you guys come in) and I get most of my knowledge by reading and hanging out at competitions. Is this round count thing true? I just want something durable and something that I can shoot and not worry about . Thanks for the advice so far guys

Axel Larson
April 4, 2012, 11:30 AM
I will admit that a glock may last longer than a 638 but for normal target loads and if you clean the gun regularly the round count should be past 10,000 easy.

bannockburn
April 4, 2012, 11:50 AM
All I know is I have yet to wear out any alloy framed gun nor have any of my friends ever worn out any alloy gun that they have owned. You bought the Model 638 for a reason and you still haven't even shot it yet. Give it a try, see if you actually like it, and if so keep it. If not then try the CZ out and if you like that more than the Model 638, then make the trade.

ClickClickD'oh
April 4, 2012, 12:31 PM
yes............the cz from the get-go is around 12 oz heavier unloaded than the 638 and considerably more bulky in dimensions.

S&W 638:
Height: 4.2"
Width: 1.3"
Length: 6.3"
Weight: 15.1 ounces

CZ 2075
Height: 4.7"
Width: 1.25"
Length: 6.5"
Weight: 23.5 ounces

So, the 2075 is a half inch taller and 8 ounces heavier. It's the same width and almost exactly the same length. Not exactly "considerably more bulky"

The Rami is not a small or light gun and certainly not pocketable. As someone else said, it's better suited for OWB/IWB.

Huh, that's funny. I pocket carried a RAMI P for years. It's funny what you learn isn't possible from the internet after having personally done it.

Given the above information on the actual dimension of the 2075, do you want to still maintain that it isn't a legitimate pocket gun? I hope that if you still maintain that it isn't, that you would at least be consistent and say that the 638 also isn't... given their very similar dimensions.

Also, remember that we are talking about the smallest of CZs four size offerings:

CZ-75/85: Full sized
CZ-75/85 Semi Compact: Full sized frame, short barrel.
CZ-75 Compact/PCR/P-01: Compact
CZ 2075 RAMI: Semi-Compact

Hence why statements such as, "and not everyone wants to carry a full-size firearm such as the cz75 for owb/iwb carry all day long. The smaller cz would be a good choice for belt carry if ccw is in mind." make me wonder if you have the right CZ in mind. If the primary purpose is going to be on the belt carry, the RAMI offers zero advantage over the Compact/PCR line and is in fact hindered by it's smaller grip size. The CZ-75 Compact/PCR/P-01 series would be the right one to look at for on the belt concealed carry.

TennJed
April 4, 2012, 01:37 PM
one of my local shops had a used CZ rami for $350, but he offered it at $300 OTD. It was there for several months. I kept kicking myself for not getting it and now it is gone. Day late and dollar short

Seven High
April 4, 2012, 03:28 PM
I suggest that you test fire the Rami before considering the trade. Some of them had reliability problems.

Glockedout17
April 4, 2012, 06:14 PM
After further reading and doing some thinking, I think I might just hang on to the 638. It serves it's purpose as a deep concealment option when needed, and we all know that options are always good. I finally got some feedback from someone who has owned one for about five years now and he has assured me that they are durable and well built pistols. He also informed me that he has put about 6,000 rds through his gun and that he feels that the aluminum used to build these revolvers will last as long as polymer frame pistols. You live and learn everyday. Thanks guys

wojownik
April 4, 2012, 08:37 PM
After further reading and doing some thinking, I think I might just hang on to the 638.

I think that is a good call, IMHO. I personally would keep the 638 and try to pick up a Rami as well. Both are good firearms, but from very different approaches.

See if you could give the Rami a try at the range. Might be worth adding to your list of future possibilities... The 9mm Rami's have had good reports overall (its the .40 cal Rami that had some issues).

Glockedout17
April 4, 2012, 09:56 PM
Yea, I will definitely look into the CZ line up, I have heard nothing but good things. Now I know what purpose both guns serve and trading one for the other will only mean trading off concealable versatility for a belt carry gun. I will be sure to ask what his asking price for it is though.

bannockburn
April 5, 2012, 06:38 AM
I think you made the right choice. I picked up a Model 638 last year as I was looking for something a little bit lighter than my Model 649 for EDC. I have always preferred this particular design to other J frame snubbies and I really appreciate the lighter weight that the alloy frame provides.

tuckerdog1
April 5, 2012, 02:03 PM

Nope.

Stasher1
April 5, 2012, 02:18 PM

No, but I did sell my 638 and replace it with a Kahr CM9. It's slightly heavier, but it holds two more rounds and is flatter and easier for me to conceal.

Cactus Jack Arizona
April 6, 2012, 04:26 AM
For a 2075 Rami, yes. For a Rami P? No.

If you enjoyed reading about "Would you trade a S&W 638 for a CZ Rami P 9mm?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!