Winchester 158 JHP Notched in lever gun?

PDA

capn
April 3, 2012, 05:27 PM
Hi all,

My wife and I both have .357 revolvers and I reload for them. I have a bunch of Winchester WB357HP158 bullets, purchased for the revolvers.They are 158-grain, semi-jacketed, notched hollow points.

Question: Are these a safe bullet for lever gun loads? I ask because the narrow flat on the bullet tip is very close to the size of the primer pocket. I've never loaded for a tube magazine before and am concerned about possible chain fire in the tube. If anyone has experience with this bullet in a lever gun I'd appreciate input.

Also, what else do folks load that is compatible with both revolvers and lever guns? I'm not looking for cowboy loads, more a general self-defense and small game/varmint load that is suitable for free interchange between the three guns.:banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 158 JHP Notched in lever gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 3, 2012, 08:14 PM
Yes they are safe.

Any JHP or JSP is safe in a .357 lever-gun.

Pointed Spitzer bullets are not, unless they are the Hornady Nerf-ball bullets.

Besides, Winchester sells or has sold the same bullet in loaded .357 ammo.
And the box contains no lever-gun "you'll shoot your eye out" warnings.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 158 JHP Notched in lever gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!