Pietta 1851 brasser

PDA

Diamondwhip
April 3, 2012, 07:51 PM
I have been snooping around here for a while and really was just trying to learn everything I could. I decided to try this black powder thing and I went out and bought a 1851 brass framed Pietta. After I shot it I knew I wasn't going back to smokeless. I immediately wished I'd bought a steel frame so I could shoot a larger powder load. Since buying another gun was inevitable I decided to go ahead and use this brasser as a learning experience. I used the info I found here and Mike's videos on youtube to modify my Pietta.
Here's some photos
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i434/diamondwhipcom/DSC01686.jpg
http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i434/diamondwhipcom/DSC01687.jpg
and here's the link to Mike's video
http://youtu.be/A9VoItoqSYE
http://youtu.be/BfTGjm3IDYw
http://youtu.be/tPffq2pbggY
I did notice that the new stainless nipples had almost the exact same size flash hole as the stock nipples. I didn't mind to much as I was really looking for the stainless feature and was hoping for a smaller flash hole.
Changing the grip frame and polishing all the internal parts made a noticeable difference that I'm really enjoying. I would diffidently recommend doing these modifications.
Thanks for all the great info :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Pietta 1851 brasser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Busyhands94
April 3, 2012, 07:54 PM
Great looking revolver! I'd suggest getting a Remington next! I have one and love it!

Levi

kBob
April 3, 2012, 08:17 PM
Nice work on straightening out the grip frame and grips!

I think you are absolutly right using the brasser as a learning experience. But I am biased as I like brassers.

Keep up the good work and look for a second brasser to make a matched set with. I picked up one at a local show last year for a C note that was better than the one I bought new.

Pick up a third as ugly as possible but still working and make your Avenging Angel to go with the set as a hide out! I walked around thinking about a Brasser like yours missing the loading lever system and with poor finish but other wise mechanically sound that a guy wanted $65 for. After counting my money out of sight of that seller and being sure I had lunch money and enough gas money to get home I went back for it, maybe 3 minutes, only to see someone else smiling as they walked away with it. Atleast I saved wear and tear on my hacksaw....

-kBob

Hellgate
April 4, 2012, 01:14 AM
Good job! I feel like sending my Pietta 44 navy grips to you and have you do it. Yours look "factory finished".

BCRider
April 4, 2012, 02:23 AM
Yep, nice job on fixing the tail "hook".

Is your brasser a .36 or .44? If it's a .36 then I doubt you'll ever shoot it loose on the usual charge for .36 balls.

1858remington
April 4, 2012, 05:14 AM
Welcome to the Dark Side padawan:D

Let the blackpowder smoke flow through you, feel the power of the Dark Side:D

because once you go black, you'll never go back.

MCgunner
April 4, 2012, 10:53 AM
Excellent. I have a '51 brasser Pietta. It ain't real accurate and it shoots high, but it's fun. I really prefer shooting my 5.5" Remington or my ROA, but for up close point shooting fun, the '51 is hard to beat. It's such a natural pointer.

Hellgate
April 4, 2012, 12:38 PM
BC Rider,
It's a 44. A 36 has a straight walled exterior whereas the 44 is rebated with a smaller diameter at the back end of the cylinder. It's like a 36 at the rear and a 44 diameter at the front.

scrat
April 4, 2012, 04:36 PM
Diamondwhip welcome aboard. you will not regret it. They are really fun to shoot if you do shoot light loads through the 1851 then it will last a long time. Otherwise save up and buy another that will handle heavier loads. then just shoot each gun for what it can do. I still shoot smokeless but have a really fun time shooting black. Some of the guys just recently got into shooting 12Gauge black. Well i have been shooting 12 Gauge Black for years and its fun as heck. Makes everyone stop what they are doing and ask what was that and how can i get some.

Diamondwhip
April 4, 2012, 09:03 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments
to answer some questions
it's a 44 caliber and from what I gather you can shoot 22 grains of powder as a safe load.
I did notch the hammer a little to help with it shooting high, still have to test it.
The finish is
Minwax red oak (because the Pietta walnut was really lacking in color)
then 6 coats of Tru-oil fallowed up by some paste wax

BCRider
April 5, 2012, 01:41 AM
In a way it's a shame that it's a .44. If it were a .36 it would likely shoot for a lifetime with no issues with the frame.

My own brasser is a .36. But I'm looking at selling the two .36's I have and just stick with the .44's for everything. There's nothing wrong with the .36's. Just that there's so much more grin when you pull the trigger on a .44 pushed by 30 grains.... :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Pietta 1851 brasser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!