new 1911 owner, a question...

PDA

longhair75
April 3, 2012, 09:46 PM
What is the function of the plunger tube between the slide stop and the thumb safety? There is a spring and at one end there is the slide stop plunger and at the other a safety lock plunger.

It looks like the spring is there to put tension on the slide stop and thumb safety. Is this the case?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "new 1911 owner, a question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Teachu2
April 3, 2012, 09:54 PM
It retains the slide stop/release lever.

bigfatdave
April 3, 2012, 09:57 PM
It houses the spring in the middle, which functions* as both the slide stop and safety detent, which aren't illustrated well on most diagrams. It will be obvious when you get around to a detail strip, that's one of the very few parts that may try to escape if the spring isn't kinked or the detent plungers aren't attached to the spring securely.

* (multi-tasking, in an over 100 year old design!)

9mmepiphany
April 4, 2012, 01:37 AM
If you remove the spring and the attached plungers, then reassemble the gun, the Slide Stop and the Thumb Safety will flop up and down unimpeded

longhair75
April 4, 2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks to all. I am sure I will have more simple questions as I learn the new platform.

9mmepiphany
April 4, 2012, 02:34 PM
These are actually good questions for the forum.

There are many new shooters who either have the same question or haven't even gotten to the point of questioning yet. Many of us who have been working with the platform for a long time, wouldn't even think of mentioning some of these things...we just take it for granted that everyone knows them.

I had a client once ask me which directions cartridges are loaded into a magazine. I'd always thought it was obvious. When I asked him what he thought, I found it wasn't as obvious as I'd thought. When I asked him how he came to his conclusion, it actually made perfect sense when viewed in the isolation of Loading a Magzine.

It also explained the famous H&K USP ad with the cartridges reversed in the magazne

Magoo
April 4, 2012, 06:07 PM
Not much to add, but just to agree with 9mm it was not a dumb question at all. I read "every" 1911 mechanically related thread I can.

To add to 9mm's story a bit- I was shooting with an inexperienced friend this past weekend. He immediately caught on how to load a 10/22 magazine. He even realized/recognized it was a rotary magazine (I was impressed). I then watched his face puzzle at which way to load the magazine into the gun. I offered a quiet "with the bullets facing forward." He blushed a bit and then proceeded to fall in love with the 10/22.

If you enjoyed reading about "new 1911 owner, a question..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!