McCollough Colt Mis-fires Cured by Slix-Shot Nipples

PDA

duelist1954
April 4, 2012, 07:59 AM
In this video we determine that the cause of misfires in the first MCCollough Colt video was bad after-market nipples. We install new Slix-Shot nipples, and the Cimarron 1860 Army runs fine.

Slix-Shot nipples can be found here...

http://www.cowboybullets.com/Products.html#SliXprings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NjlpJadhbM

If you enjoyed reading about "McCollough Colt Mis-fires Cured by Slix-Shot Nipples" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Pancho
April 4, 2012, 12:49 PM
In your video you are very careful not to mention the brand name of the "aftermarket" nipples that didn't work. That would be valuable information.

duelist1954
April 4, 2012, 01:05 PM
They are brand new in the nipple manufacturing game, and they want to get it right. I'm going to give them the room to do so.

Pancho
April 4, 2012, 01:34 PM
I can understand that. I emailed the slixfire guys to see if they sold the nipples in metric for my Uberti 62 Colt police. I'll let you know.

Pancho
April 4, 2012, 01:36 PM
As I understand it you were able to achieve reliability with the slixfire nipples without filling in the safety notch or is that a different issue?

duelist1954
April 4, 2012, 01:40 PM
Pancho,

You are correct. It was a T&E gun, so filling in the hammer slot would have been highly un-appreciated by Cimarron. :)

1KPerDay
April 4, 2012, 02:04 PM
So do the holes in the sides of the slixshots somehow grip onto the fired caps or something?

duelist1954
April 4, 2012, 03:29 PM
No. The side holes vent the back-pressure so it doesn't force the spent cap back as hard into the hammer face.

1KPerDay
April 4, 2012, 03:40 PM
Ah.

Pancho
April 4, 2012, 11:56 PM
Just got notice that they don't provide a nipple for my particular problem gun (Uberto colt police.

duelist1954
April 5, 2012, 02:02 PM
Pancho, I think you should be able to use the same nipples they sell for Uberti 1851 Navies or 1860 Armies. I put 1860 Army nipples on an 1862 Navy recently and everything worked fine. They weren't Slix-Shots, but since the thread size is the same, I would expect the Slix-Shots to interchange to your '62.

Smokin'Joe
April 5, 2012, 03:06 PM
Pancho, Drill a small hole or even two in the side of one of your nipples and try that out. Should work fine.

mykeal
April 6, 2012, 06:03 AM
I have two Uberti 1862 Colt Pocket Police revolvers. They do not take the same nipple thread size. The one built in 1972 does indeed take the M6x0.75 thread (the same as my Uberti 1861 Colt Navy), but the one built in 1997 takes a smaller thread: M5.5x0.9, I believe. It's close to 12x28 but not the same. A 12x28 threaded nipple will not start in the 1997 cylinder.

As you know, the M5.5x0.9 thread is not a standard metric thread, so nipples with that thread are rare.

Drill a small hole or even two in the side of one of your nipples
That's very difficult to accomplish.

Smokin'Joe
April 6, 2012, 08:52 PM
That's very difficult to accomplish.

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc510/SmmokingJoe/IMG_0003-2.jpg

Drilled this with a hand drill. One of these days I'm going to buy a drill press.

mykeal
April 6, 2012, 11:24 PM
Well done. I've actually witnessed that being done once - one of the mechanics in a shop I worked in just after I got out of school drilled a 1/16th hole in a 1/4" hardened stainless steel potentiometer shaft with an air drill and using his thumb as a guide. So it can be done. But it ain't easy - I tried to duplicate what I saw that mechanic do for months afterwards with no success.

Smokin'Joe
April 7, 2012, 08:50 AM
Well done.

Thank You.

zimmerstutzen
April 9, 2012, 03:41 PM
I got the same cap problem with my Uberti Colt Police. Made recently, (about 2007)

I was told that it is a combination of several things. Apparently, almost all the current cap manufacturers are putting more oomph into their caps. Some even say extra or magnum on the cap tins. So I looked around for some older caps in my stash and found some foil lined caps from Navy Arms from years gone by. Worked noticeably better, but still not great.

Chuck Dixon told me that alot of modern nipples have larger holes than in olden days. ie more blow back with the modern nipples.

If you enjoyed reading about "McCollough Colt Mis-fires Cured by Slix-Shot Nipples" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!