OAL question

PDA

mbutler68
April 4, 2012, 09:16 PM
Just started reloading for my .45 today. The OAL specified for my reloads is 1.250 (using 230gr XTP bullets). When I head space them in the barrel of my 1911, they are hard to get out and not flush. I kept seating deeper until they sat flush with the barrel and were not difficult to pull out. I finished with an OAL of 1.217.

So, my question is- is this acceptable? As I said, new to reloading metallics and I would rather be safe than sorry. I checked all my books and found nothing in them about this. Thanks, mark

If you enjoyed reading about "OAL question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
April 4, 2012, 09:22 PM
I don't know where you got the OAL at 1.250"?
Hornady says it is 1.230".

It could be shorter then that in barrels with a FMJ-RN leade, which it sounds like your gun has.
Regardless of that, you always have to seat short enough to fit your guns chamber leade.

And I have no idea if it is safe or not, as you didn't say what powder & charge you are using?

rc

Thompsoncustom
April 4, 2012, 09:24 PM
most of the time seating deeper is not a problem but you need to back the charge off a little or atleast the max charge the starting charge should still be fine. What powder are you using?

mbutler68
April 4, 2012, 09:45 PM
Mistake number one- thanks for catching that. 1.230 is the correct length.

I am starting with 6.3gr of Power Pistol and planning to work up to around 6.9gr for now. Max load is listed as 7.1gr. Also want to play with Unique and longshot in the future.

Thompsoncustom
April 4, 2012, 10:01 PM
yea you'll be fine. Good place to check out to learn a lot about reloading http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

If you enjoyed reading about "OAL question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!