Suppressor w/ super sonic ammo... how much reduction?

PDA

wacki
April 5, 2012, 12:58 AM
How much reduction will you get with super sonic ammo and a silencer?

Ti-Rant or Osprey. Doesn't matter. Just a full sized suppressor + cheap 9mm federal ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor w/ super sonic ammo... how much reduction?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
crazy-mp
April 5, 2012, 01:15 AM
There is no set number of Db reduction you will get. Too many factors, environment, host weapon, ammo, humidity etc.

With a semi-auto you are going to get some noise coming out of the action every time you fire the weapon. Most of the noise you are going to hear will be the bullet breaking the sound barrier. But this will also depend on your environment, if you shoot at a indoor range its going to be 10 times louder than if your on a small hill overlooking a hay field with no trees for 500 yards. You will not get movie quiet but you should be hearing safe range (depending on suppressor).

Mot45acp
April 5, 2012, 05:43 AM
Most your 147 grain is subsonic. I picked up some American Eagle 147gr for $8 a box. Box stated 1000fps

greyling22
April 5, 2012, 08:32 AM
haven't heard a 9, but I heard a 308 with a suppressor using supersonics. sounded like a 22. ish.

Chopdoktor
April 5, 2012, 10:04 AM
Supersonic 115 grain 9mm out of a good can sounds about like a shorter-barreled and unsuppressed .22, but if you have a lot of chamber-pop, it can almost be uncomfortable to shoot. My AAC SDN-6 on a 24" barreled DPMS LR-308 is too loud to be comfortable without hearing protection, but on a 5.56 or 5.45, it is totally comfy, no ear-pro required. Subsonics take things to a whole other level, though. Shooting 147 gr 9mm handloads through a wetted suppressor is pretty close to "Hollywood Quiet". My suppressed GSG-1911 shot wet reaches that coveted level, but that's the only one I have at that db range.

mtrmn
April 5, 2012, 12:23 PM
Supersonic 308 and 223 sound about the same--like an unsuppressed 22LR.

99% of that is bullet noise. It sounds the same when a supersonic bullet passes near your position when you are downrange. The sound comes from the point nearest you in the bullet's flight path. I can stand behind a tree at the 50 yd mark on my shooting range and the sound seems to come from the 50 yd line (NOT from the direction of the shooter) and sounds just like someone standing there shooting a 22LR. This is using a YHM 308 suppressor on an AR10.

Swing
April 5, 2012, 11:18 PM
Don't sweat it, just test it. ;)

Prince Yamato
April 5, 2012, 11:27 PM
I shoot cheap Russian 115gr through my Glock 34 and 26 with AAC ECO-9 can. It's hearing safe. It's only a little noisier than 147gr.

Don't feel that you HAVE to buy expensive 147gr ammo to use a can. 115 is plenty quiet through a 9mm can.

TXSWFAN
April 6, 2012, 01:45 AM
This is a vid I made shooting an Uzi with an SWR Trident 9 suppressor. The first half of the mag is 115 gn. FMJ and the second half is 147 gn subsonic. The can works pretty good IMO.

If you enjoyed reading about "Suppressor w/ super sonic ammo... how much reduction?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!