Thread-jacking

PDA

smalls
April 5, 2012, 10:49 AM
Does THR have an official stance on threadjacking?
I see tons of people, mostly newbies find some random thread that might resemble their question in a little way, and basically start a new thread within an existing thread.
Example. Someone asked for opinions on a holster for their 1911. Some one chimes in "I'm new here, does anyone know of a good holster for my XXXX .22?" instead of starting his own new thread. :banghead:

Once this happens, people shy away from the OP, and start giving Mr. Threadjacker advice. It's rude, and derails the entire thread.

I was curious, because I haven't seen any rules specifically against it, and I keep wanting to hit the "report post" button every time I see this going on, but don't want to trouble the mods if it's really not against the rules.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thread-jacking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
April 5, 2012, 11:00 AM
That's all situational. If it's some newbie who can't figure out how to start his own thread, or that s/he should, I usually just move the question into a thread of its own.

If it's some of the regulars drifting the thread into a different topic, we'll often post in the thread that they should take it to a new thread, or sometimes we'll go ahead and move the off-topic posts. Sometimes such get deleted.

As always, feel free to hit the Report button. No harm in that. We'll take a look and see what's the most appropriate way to handle it.

Thread "hijack" or drift is something we try to avoid, but you asking us to clean up that kind of thing isn't going to get someone banned or otherwise in trouble. It's just house-keeping.

Manson
April 5, 2012, 11:00 AM
I'm not aware of any official rule. There may be one but I'm not aware of it.

It is a little rude but I try to be patient with it. No one forces us to respond to the hijacker.

Sometimes I think noobs are just anxious to learn.

Sky
April 5, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sometimes it is completely innocent and the thread will return to it's original intent. Guy sees thread about 1911 holster and gets to thinking 'holster while omitting the 1911 part of the equation because he needs one for his .22 pistol also....can be troublesome for the Op especially if he/she is wanting a rather speedy response. Sometimes a thread will veer in a different direction or break down into a "mine is bigger and better than yours" because of some post in the thread that someone takes offense to or disagrees strongly. Welcome to America is what I still tell my wife on occasion.

smalls
April 5, 2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks, Sam. I hate bothering the mods over something that (really, really) irks me, but isn't posted as a no-no in the rules.

Sam1911
April 5, 2012, 11:08 AM
Don't worry about "bothering" the Staff. It's why we're here. :)

Mal H
April 5, 2012, 11:08 AM
When posts are added to threads similar to the one in smalls' example, please report the post and suggest that it be moved to a new thread. When the moderators see it, and if they agree, it will be done.

A "Report this post" doesn't always mean something is necessarily wrong with the post. Having literally thousands of eyes looking out for the integrity of THR is far better than depending on only the moderators of the various forums to find all the problems.

smalls
April 5, 2012, 11:10 AM
Fair enough.
Does this mean I can be like an undercover moderator?

:D:D

bikerdoc
April 5, 2012, 11:58 AM
Does this mean I can be like an undercover moderator?

Now that is funny. Thanks for the laugh Smalls. Made my day.

Mal H
April 5, 2012, 02:27 PM
"Does this mean I can be like an undercover moderator?"

Actually, yes it does! But you have to remain covert and only make clandestine reports to your handler. Do not take any action in country or you'll blow your cover. ;)

smalls
April 5, 2012, 02:40 PM
Won't let you guys down. ;)

don p
April 5, 2012, 09:03 PM
Now I have to say that some of the threads replies have made me chuckle rather profusely. Glad I wasn't consuming any fluids at the time:D

bigfatdave
April 5, 2012, 09:10 PM
what about re-starting a long-dead thread from years ago?

bikerdoc
April 5, 2012, 10:40 PM

Only double secret undercover mods can hit the report button on those. :)

Seriously hit the button!

It tells you when you hit reply button how many days it has been since the thread was active and strongly suggests you start a new thread.

Tomcat47
April 5, 2012, 10:57 PM
And most of the members that have been here a while usually interject a simple...."stick to the topic" Or "drifting"...comment.

And usually, as well interject a thought back on topic!

We all get caught up sometimes, and I would suppose I may have unintentionally
caused a drift in over 1,000 posts here at THR!

But Usually the moderators and more experienced members get us back on track!

And I must say...THR is a different kind of forum...Its why I like it! And things are just on a "Higher Road" than people are use to on a "v" bulletin style forum.

hso
April 5, 2012, 11:58 PM
This is the "undercover moderator" badge.

http://images.thehighroad.org/buttons/report.gif

Use the power well.

Sam1911
April 6, 2012, 07:47 AM

That one's tricky. On the one hand there is no reason to start a new thread to ask your question when we're already discussing that issue or question in another thread.

However, opening back up a long-dormant thread simply to disagree with what someone wrote six years ago ... when that member usually isn't even active here any more ... is just annoying. We take that on a case-by-case basis.

On the one hand, if you're asking about or mentioning something with your new thread that is under discussion or was so in the last month or two, we'll usually merge your thread -- or close yours with a request to post in the existing thread.

If a thread is very old, as the "old thread" warning note says, many things may have changed since the matter was discussed before. Make sure opening that old thread back up makes sense.

wrs840
April 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
I think that some of the "newbs" simply don't feel "entitled" to start a new thread. They're trying to display deference in consideration of their feelings of noobness. Give 'em a break. I think the mistake is one of wanting to take baby-steps and inject their inquiries less boldly than hitting the "new thread" button.

smalls
April 10, 2012, 11:06 AM
The problem with the newbs is that most of the time they Google "holster" and it comes up with a discussion taking place on THR. They then inject their question of "What's the best holster for my XXX. While we're talking about something else. They then go back to Google, and keep searching, and never come back to THR and engage in other discussions.
Or, if they do end up staying, there's no harm in politely letting them know that thread jacking is rude, and it takes away from the OP, and that it's alright to start a new thread. We don't bite.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thread-jacking" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!