Fresh primers and group size.

PDA

8mmman
April 5, 2012, 05:11 PM
I took my mew Yuko M48 out today and shot it. I took a couple bandoleers of Turkish 1950 copper bullets stuff and one of 1930 silver bullets stuff and some of my reload's.

I thought I would start with the good copper stuff dated 1950. Well after 10 rounds I had a 12" group at 100 yards off he bench. I couldn't believe it. So I tried another 10 rounds and maybe improved to 10" group.... O crap the the guns shot out I thought.

Then I took 5 rounds of 1930 silver and walla 4" group, another 5 rounds another 4" group... Looking better.

Then I tried 5 of my 170 grain soft point reloads 3" another 5 another 3"group both low left (slow powders)

Then I tried the gongs at 200 yards. no problem with the reloads or silver tip...BUT the copper stuff would miss 4 out of every 5 rounds, you could see them kicking up dust all around the 20" gong.... It really doesn't like the newer Turk ammo. Luck for me most all I have is silver bullet 1930's stuff. Poor gong got plastered but good with the silver bullets..

the bolt was smother than all my previous M48's too.

I'm going to pull down 20 of the copper and put the bullets and powder in new brass with fresh primers and see if improves. I have some 7.35 ammo all when off fine but 12" or bigger groups pulled it down and put it in reloaded cases with fresh primers and 3" groups all day out of the M38 I got. So primers can make a BIG difference in group sizes for sure.

If you enjoyed reading about "Fresh primers and group size." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlamFire1
April 5, 2012, 05:44 PM
Primers? I think you have old ammunition problem.

Gunpowder has a shelf life. A rule of thumb is 45 years for single based and 20 years for double based. If the gunpowder is exposed to heat it ages faster. The military uses fume testing, powder is put in a oven for 30 days, at 65 C (150 F) and if it fumes, the powder is checked for stabilizer content. If the content is 20% or less, the powder is scrapped.

Old deteriorating powder will have uneven burn rates. This caused pressure issues for me when I used surplus IMR 4895 which was going bad.

The reason this old ammunition is on the market and is cheap is because the military that owned it got rid of it because it was not serviceable. If they could have kept it a couple more decades they would have. Among some of the other issues with old gunpowder is auto combustion. Just Google “Ammunition Dump Explosions”. Ammo dumps go kaboom all the time with old deteriorating smokeless propellants.

Pull some bullets and see if they have corrosion on their bases or if you see corrosion on the inside of the cases. If you do see corrosion, such as on these bullets, dump the powder.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Reloading/Old%20Gunpowder/DSCN1108CorrodedBullets.jpg

Don't expect good accuracy from military bullets. There was no reason to build match grade bullets for cannon fodder. The only real expectation was that Snuffy's ammunition had to go bang.

If you are going to the trouble of loading new brass, use new primers, new powder, and some better bullets.

And if your Yugo shoots within 3 inches, be happy. The accuracy criteria for most service rifles is 3 to 4 MOA.

Twmaster
April 8, 2012, 05:44 PM
My, those are some purdy boolits..... Load 'um up! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Fresh primers and group size." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!