Ruger Redhawk/Burris Scope mount position

PDA

bikemutt
April 5, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm rigging a Ruger Redhawk with a Burris variable magnification scope, using the Weigand full rail and scope rings. This is my first scoped handgun so I'm just guessing at a number of things.

Right now I have the scope mounted as far back on the gun as it can be, my thinking is that'll allow me to keep the handgun as far away from me as possible given the eye relief distances inherent with handgun scopes.

Concerning the weight of the scope, on one hand I feel the weapon balances better with the scope all the way back, on the other hand, I imagine the additional weight of the scope pushed all the way to the front could help with muzzle flip under dynamic conditions. Under all circumstances the gun will be rested on a tripod so extra barrel weight won't be born by yours truly.

Since none of this high tech equipment comes with a user guide, I'm turning to the experts for guidance :)

Mount it forward, in the middle, or all the way back?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Redhawk/Burris Scope mount position" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tryshoot
April 6, 2012, 03:50 AM
I have a redhawk (not super) that I had to put a mount on. It has factory scope mounts, but I could not put Leapold 2-7 pistol scope on it with factory mounts. Bought it from Midwayusa. Scope is more to rear.

The Old Redneck
April 6, 2012, 07:01 AM
With good rings and base you have a lot of freedom to mount a scope the way it fits you. I have scopes on everything from .17 to 458 caliber handguns. Scopes, rings, and mounts have come a long way over the years. Try it the way you have it and check everything after 50 to 100 rounds and see if screws are shooting loose. There are good locktite products that hold screws yet can be removed if you need to. Because of ports I have had to set some scopes back more than I wanted to but they work fine. Scopes and the dot sights make shooting so much better as you get older, and greatly increase the distance you can hit.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 6, 2012, 07:19 AM
I mounted a Leupold EER scope on a 454 Casull and adjusted the scope so one of the three TSOB rings was against the turret on the forward end of the scope, that way there could be absolutely no slippage of the scope foreward during heavy recoil.

It worked out fine, no problems at all, and extremely accurate.

bikemutt
April 6, 2012, 09:27 AM
OK, I'll start with here as seen in the picture, unless someone sees a problem in the making.

The front of the scope is probably 1/16" off the rail, should make fitting a scope cover fun!

98Redline
April 6, 2012, 10:23 AM
Adjust the scope position based on where you get the best eye relief and don't worry too much about the balance. An inch or two fore or aft will make very little practical difference in how the gun shoots or how much felt recoil is diminished by the weight of the scope.

If you had something like a red dot where eye relief was not an issue then moving it around to get the best balance is fine, but with a variable power scope let the eye relief be your guide.

You may already know this but for the sake of completeness, the higher the magnification the less tolerant the scope will be of eye relief variation (i.e. Set the scope position based on your highest anticipated magnification setting).

Friendly, Don't Fire!
April 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
I have a 500 Magnum in 4" flavor that I want to add a Leupold EER, 4X or 1-4X. I have finally found Wiegand (sp) mounts that appear to be about as tough as any other where the milled section lays in where the rear sight lies. Between that and three screws into the gun, the mount should be fine.

I am thinking I might want four rings just because some of my loads are really nasty. Another thing is

I should leave the compensator on that does not direct any gases upward as I don't want to blast the front lens!

skidder
April 6, 2012, 06:09 PM
Bikemutt-- does that mount require drill and tap? I'm looking for something for my redhawk. That setup ya got looks pretty sweet.

svtruth
April 7, 2012, 02:34 PM
Unless your reacquisition skills are a lot better than mine, muzzle flip is a small part of time to next shot.

bikemutt
April 7, 2012, 04:21 PM
skidder, no drill and tap required for the Redhawk, it is a very well made mount that fit like a glove. Both sights have to be removed which takes all of 30 seconds. If you order the scope rings at the same time their is a price break.

http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Redhawk-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Redhawk/Burris Scope mount position" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!