browning bdm jams

PDA

Robbins290
April 6, 2012, 06:29 PM
i just put 20 rounds thru my browning bdm, very round jammed. the spent case didnt leave the pipe and the fresh round stuck up towards the spent round, jamming the slide.:banghead::fire::cuss:

any ideas?

im thinking the extractor for throwing out the empty cases. if it was the recoil, it would have stove piped, (i think)

If you enjoyed reading about "browning bdm jams" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr.Rob
April 6, 2012, 06:34 PM
Broken extractor would be my guess.

ku4hx
April 6, 2012, 06:34 PM
Does the gun need cleaning? Has it failed with this particular ammunition before? Maybe try different ammunition and see what happens. If nothing works, suspect a broken or damaged extractor.

PuddlePirate
April 6, 2012, 06:53 PM
Magazine?

The Lone Haranguer
April 6, 2012, 07:06 PM
i just put 20 rounds thru my browning bdm, very round jammed. the spent case didnt leave the pipe and the fresh round stuck up towards the spent round, jamming the slide.
That is the classic :rolleyes: double feed stoppage. As you've probably guessed, it is the worst kind to have.

Magazine?
Magazines don't cause extraction failures. In fact, by trying to butt the top round against the fired case, it is actually doing its job.

My bet is also on a bad extractor. Possibly, there could be debris caked under it, but surely this would not affect every round.

Robbins290
April 6, 2012, 07:21 PM
I cleaned the gun pretty good, took the extrator out and firing pin to clean. Its not broken

Robbins290
April 6, 2012, 07:24 PM
Oh ya! Forgot to say. Factory mags

ku4hx
April 7, 2012, 09:33 AM
Factory magazines can have problems too. If the gun is clean with no broken parts or otherwise visible damaged, you have few options ... one of which is having a gunsmith (local or factory) inspect it.

When I get to the point where you are I just start replacing parts. Cheap one first and I start with springs. Given the last BDM was made in 1998, your springs may have weakened. Maybe a long shot but you got to start somewhere. Wolff sells BDM recoil and magazine springs and they're cheap. The other springs I got no clue where to buy. Weak extractor spring, bent claw?

Robbins290
April 7, 2012, 12:51 PM
I will stary with a recoil spring. But i dont think t will fix the fte's. I have a pic of the jam. But its on my cell phone. Cant up load them. I will wait till i get home to put them on the laptop

Robbins290
April 7, 2012, 02:08 PM
here are the pics

ku4hx
April 7, 2012, 03:37 PM
Are there any extractor marks on the fired rounds? If the spent case is just left untouched in the chamber that's going to be an extractor issue like already mentioned.

Do the spent cases come out of the chamber easily? If not, your chamber may be extremely rough or dirty. But you said you cleaned it so I'm still thinking extractor. I mean ... that's what an extractor does, extract the spent case.

Robbins290
April 7, 2012, 04:24 PM
The rounds would fall out freely by tipping the barrel up

The Lone Haranguer
April 7, 2012, 04:32 PM
The pictures confirm the type of malfunction you're having. I still think something is going on with that extractor.

Try taking the slide off and pushing a loaded round up from the bottom between the extractor claw and the breech face (as the magazine would normally feed it). The cartridge should stay in place and take a good shake to make it fall out.

Robbins290
April 7, 2012, 07:09 PM
I did the extractor trick. It stayed put. I shoke it pretty hard

The Lone Haranguer
April 7, 2012, 08:03 PM
I did the extractor trick. It stayed put. I shoke it pretty hard

Parts diagram: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=1315

I am seeing from this that the extractor acts as its own spring, without an external spring to tension it. But your tension seems to be correct, perhaps erring a little on the tight side. This one is very puzzling. :confused: Every time I've had this kind of problem (with other guns) it was a bad extractor. In one case I looked down the ejection port and the hook was obviously missing.

Robbins290
April 7, 2012, 08:41 PM
I agree lone, the extractor seems to be ok and not cracked or damaged. With a empty in the pipe, it pulls them out ok when i manuelly slide it back. Having 6 9mm's. The recoil spring seems very weak. Going to try that first. Once its in 100%, i decided im going to sell it. So hopefully i dont sink too much money in

Miked7762
April 8, 2012, 01:58 AM
Do the case rims of the unfired rounds look like the one in the chamber in the photos? Something's odd there, I can't even picture an extractor being able to reach the groove.

Robbins290
April 8, 2012, 08:35 AM
Mike, that is how they look. He extractor does reach the case rim. I can take a photo of that if you want

Robbins290
April 8, 2012, 06:46 PM
ok, shot a little more out of it today. started off jamming for the first 3-4 clips. i shot some other toys. and went back to the bdm. and it shot 4 clips flawless. i dont understand why it would just start running fine. im going to out another 100 in it within a few days to make sure. other wise i found out it was the extractor, i saved a case from the jam and the extractor took a chunk out of the case. i tried to take a pic but a cell camera does no justice on small things. i guy that gave it too me said it had very, very little rounds thru it. soo maybe betweenm that and sitting for years it just needed to get the kinks out. it is a very smooth shooting gun with a nice trigger and pretty accurate. it might replace my 1911 in winter carry

GLOOB
April 9, 2012, 04:44 AM
I will stary with a recoil spring. But i dont think t will fix the fte's.
A new recoil spring can fix this kind of FTE.

If the gun is unlocking too early, the case is still under pressure. This sticks the case against the walls of the chamber. The extractor can slip off, or the case rim can even rip off. Once the pressure subsides, the case drops out easily by gravity.

Some guns ride this line closer than others. They stay locked just long enough for proper function without much margin for error. Looks like the BDM design cuts it pretty close and needs a good spring to ensure reliable function.

I've experienced the same jams in my G27 with some hot handloads. Problem went away with a stiffer aftermaket spring. But when I went back to the stock spring and normal loads, the FTE's returned. I guess I wore out the recoil spring (and possibly damaged the extractor spring, too), cuz a new stock recoil spring resolved the issue.

I recommend you stop shooting it til you find out for sure. This kinda of FTE puts undue stress on the extractor. In my case, I just bought a new extractor spring for 4 bucks. (And even though the FTE's stopped happening with a new recoil spring, the new extractor spring was noticeably stiffer. So it looks like the extractor did take some abuse.)

Robbins290
April 9, 2012, 07:10 AM
Thanks gloob, im going to order a extra power spring today.

Robbins290
April 25, 2012, 03:22 PM
I finally got my new recoil spring. Wolff was behind of orders i guess. Thats what they said on there website. I only fired 2 mag (20) rounds to do a quick test fire. First round did the same thing and then the rest went 100%. Planning on running a few hundred rounds this weekend. I hope she goes all right. Im starting to get very fond of that pistol

dondavis3
April 27, 2012, 06:16 AM
I think you're right to replace the springs, but the gun may just need to be shot.

I own a Walther P38 that I was having such problems with.

After a couple of hundred rounds and a good cleaning -

It shoots fine now.

By the way love my BDM

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/BrowningBDM9mm2-1.jpg

- it was a pistol ahead of it's time IMHO

:cool:

wally
April 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
Magazines don't cause extraction failures

Generally true, but the can if they let the rounds sit too high or let the nose cam up as the slide moves back, so that the next round interferes with extraction. Load a round and remove the magazine (or partially release it enough to keep the mag safety engaged) and it it fires and ejects fine you have evidence against the mag.

But if I were a betting man, I bet on it being an extractor problem.

1911Tuner
April 28, 2012, 06:53 AM
If the gun is unlocking too early, the case is still under pressure.

A tilting barrel/ locked breech/short recoil operated pistol can't unlock too early unless there's something bad wrong with the timing...and if that's the case, the upper barrel lug(s) would be torn up, along with the mating slide lug.(s)

The spring has nothing to do with the barrel unlock/disengagement timing. Like all locked breech/short recoil pistols, it can be fired without the spring without ill effects.

Look closely at the top front corner of the barrel lug(s) for indication of radiusing and/or flanging. If it's not there, the problem was probably something in the chamber. Either a rough spot or heavy fouling. If that's not it, it's an extractor issue...and it'll be back. Another possibility is carbon fouling or other cack in the extractor tunnel that was keeping it from applying full tension after it cammed open, and a little shooting dislodged it. Pull the extractor and clean it and the tunnel.

Robbins290
April 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
does anybody know if the extractor has a curve to it? it shows on the exploded veiw thats its flat, and mine looks like this

If you enjoyed reading about "browning bdm jams" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!