What's the most memorable THING you've ever put a bullet through.

PDA

Pages : [1] 2

R.W.Dale
April 7, 2012, 01:00 AM
Excluding hunting and such what's the most memorable TARGET you've ever shot? The stranger the story the better.

For me nothing was as surprising and amusing as putting a 55g hornady sspx from a 22-250 into a soft but not quite rotten pineapple @ 100 yds. I swear pineapple bits flew out in a 30" radius including STRAIGHT up. A decade later I still smile when I recall the event.

posted via mobile device.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the most memorable THING you've ever put a bullet through." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Twiki357
April 7, 2012, 01:11 AM
I don't know how memorable it is, but when I get a new computer, I take the hard drive out of the old one before it goes to Goodwill. The hard drive gets "sanitized" at the range on my next trip.

Rob G
April 7, 2012, 01:12 AM
I put a 7.62x54r through a mini fridge with some tannerite in it. We still don't know where the door landed. Pretty memorable overall.

Inebriated
April 7, 2012, 01:13 AM
My Droid.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/Name890/HateDroid.jpg

Old Dog Man
April 7, 2012, 01:36 AM
I put an 87gr. bullet from my 25/06 through an 8# powder can filled with water with the lid setting on a railroad tie at 100yrds. never found the bottom of the can. What an awsome sight. Have also shot 100gr. 25/06 through 1/2" steel plate at 100yrds' and 3/8" at 200yrds, Serria lead nosed bullets. Al

cooldude14
April 7, 2012, 01:46 AM
Shot a watermelon with a SKS

9mmfan
April 7, 2012, 02:13 AM
The good: Tannerite in pumpkins last October. Very impressive flying orange goo.
The bad: .32 ACP ND through my mattress couple years back. Mostly memorable, embarrassment notwithstanding, 'cause my out of town at the time wife points it out EVERY time we change the sheets.

wrs840
April 7, 2012, 02:51 AM
Tonka Trucks, GI Joes, and a legion of those 2" tall Plastic Army Men. Shot to kingdom come with .22 rifles by me and my buddy Anderson Taylor, about 40 years ago...

FenderTK421
April 7, 2012, 03:05 AM
A printer that was giving me fits... took it out to the back yard and let it know how I felt w/ 6 rounds of .357. Great day.

Arkansas Paul
April 7, 2012, 03:06 AM

The front pocket of my jeans. I was 18 and as stupid as they came. Ruger MKII target in my front pocket and I had a ND. There was a thin red line down the front of my leg and a hole in the floor by my shoe. And there was almost a stain in the back of my pants to accompany the hole in the front.

BUCKrub91
April 7, 2012, 03:35 AM
The front pocket of my jeans. I was 18 and as stupid as they came. Ruger MKII target in my front pocket and I had a ND. There was a thin red line down the front of my leg and a hole in the floor by my shoe. And there was almost a stain in the back of my pants to accompany the hole in the front.

You had a Ruger MKII in your front pocket? Thats a big pocket

MyGreenGuns
April 7, 2012, 04:07 AM
Not a bullet, but shot:

I had just gotten my first gun, Rem 870 12g. I was so proud of it, so of course it came with me on the next camping trip.

My best friend and I were sitting at the campfire, enjoying the summer night. His dog was sleeping in his lap, my shotgun was sleeping in mine.

He pointed at a stump on the opposite side of the fire and said, "Is that a mouse?"

I saw it too and shot.

"Well.. did you get it?" He asked with a grin.

We got up to check. The old cedar stump was missing a chunk where the shot hit. The pieces of it were littered behind the stump. As our flashlights followed the splintered wood we found little furry bloody clumps mixed in and all of this had rained down on his sleeping bag and single mattress he had set down here.

Whoops! I forgot we had set everything over here so it wouldnt get muddy when we played with the truck.

Its not my favorite or best shot ever, but I know neither of us will forget it either. :evil:

ccsniper
April 7, 2012, 04:21 AM
Shooting a couple of empty shotgun shells at 40 yards with a .22 rifle, a lizard tried to run across my target just as I let a round go. Poor thing lost his head.

OARNGESI
April 7, 2012, 04:25 AM
can of armorall, looked like a rocket shot up like 20ft and sent white foam everywhere

WardenWolf
April 7, 2012, 04:29 AM
A dead computer hard drive. I put a few rounds through it with my trusty Mosin Nagant. On the last shot, I hit the screw that held the read / write arm. The drive literally exploded, with the heavy aluminum base shattering into at least 3 pieces and scattering over about 10 feet.

Here's a video of the shot, though you can't really see much.

http://youtu.be/5rf3_PRNnxI

Note: the mess is not mine. Others had been shooting there and had not cleaned up their mess. I made sure to carry out more shell casings than I shot that day, along with the remains of the hard drive.

bigfatdave
April 7, 2012, 04:36 AM
Clay pigeon sitting on the berm - first try with a .22lr pistol, at 100 yards (mostly luck, I need time to figure hold-over at 100y, and that's to hit a 1' wide target).

Pumpkin filled with water and shredded paper - Shot with my M1 Carbine and a soft point. Wasn't me, but it sold the Mrs on long guns as recreation, she was mostly a handgun fan up to that moment.

Gatorade bottles - this one I repeat frequently. The star-shaped molding on the underside of a gatorade bottle become a rocket nozzle when it is hit by something with enough kinetic energy, all the water goes out the bottom FAST and the low-mass bottle goes up pretty high.

Arkansas Paul
April 7, 2012, 06:15 AM
You had a Ruger MKII in your front pocket? Thats a big pocket

Nah. It was just a 4-inch barrel. Like this one.

http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/prgann/picture20174jpg_thumbnail11.jpg

The butt was sticking out. I told you I was young and stupid. :banghead:

rskent
April 7, 2012, 06:15 AM
Your Droid

Were you inebriated at the time?

The-Reaver
April 7, 2012, 06:23 AM
When I was 9 I sat on the bench and shot 6' Saw blades at dusk with chiefs M1 Garand.

Sparks went everywhere.
We then went on to ricochet tracers off of a lake.

Awesome.

tarosean
April 7, 2012, 06:37 AM
my leg

hogshead
April 7, 2012, 07:13 AM
My Motorola Krazer with a non working 7 key. I laid it on the barrel of my Mossy 835 and sent it to cell phone h#$l where it belonged. The only thing I found was the sticker off the battery.

tightgroup tiger
April 7, 2012, 07:30 AM
My twin brother said his 1946 32 special model 94 wasn't accurate. I vaporized several d-cell batteries off the top of a post at 100yds with it.

He found out it wasn't the gun.

dexter
April 7, 2012, 07:38 AM
My good friends chronograph

gunnutery
April 7, 2012, 07:38 AM
3.5" floppy disk with my .308. Once it was hit it flew up into the air about 5 feet up and spun the whole time. I was pretty surprised it spun so perfectly to the rotation of the bullet.

jmr40
April 7, 2012, 07:45 AM
One Summer when I was about 10 our next door neighbor had several dump truck loads of dirt hauled in to raise a low spot in the yard. It was several weeks before they got around to leveling it out. In the meantime the kid next door and I devised a plan.

We got a bucket full of dirt and mixed it with a little water to make thick mud which we packed around dozens of firecrackers leaving only the fuse exposed. When the mud dried they became golfball sized hand grenades.

We then got all of our toy soldiers out and set up a battle field opposing each other. When the battle began we started shooting at each others army with our BB guns, lighting the firecracker grenades and throwing them at each others army. The first guy to knock over all the other guys toy soldiers won.

We'd set 'em up and start over. Best Summer of my life.

mcdonl
April 7, 2012, 07:59 AM
I have the fortune of having a beauty school drop out as a niece :)

These mannequin heads are self sealing, and always look pretty when they are done!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/4e237471.jpg

Gtimothy
April 7, 2012, 08:43 AM
I was doing a Fam Fire of a Browning M2HB on board a destroyer and a seagull flew into my line of fire. It lost the fight with one of my 706 grain rounds. It literally exploded!

Trunk Monkey
April 7, 2012, 08:57 AM
Not sure if this strictly counts but I put an HE 107 round through an old M60 tank on the direct fire range at Graf once. The reason I say "I" is because I was the one who actually pulled the lanyard.

it was fairly cool and (IMO) settled the Armour V. Artillery question for me for all time

303tom
April 7, 2012, 09:15 AM
Through a bottle cap sat sideways on the bottle @ a 100 yards with a Enfield No4 with iron sights on a bet..............I won, one shot.

Rockfish61
April 7, 2012, 09:34 AM
My first 1000 yd X with my P308.

And the last one which was after a string of 7X.

T.R.
April 7, 2012, 09:35 AM
This is not a trophy buck in the antler department. But a memorable trophy for me due to difficulty of the shot between branches and sharp angle due to hunting from tree stand. The buck bounded away at the shot but collapsed in mid stride after a distance of approx 50 yards or so. The ghastly hole in this photo is the entrance wound. My bolt (arrow) was as effective as most rifles.

TR

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/marylandbuck2.jpg

Mt Shooter
April 7, 2012, 09:46 AM
Tonka Trucks, GI Joes, and a legion of those 2" tall Plastic Army Men. Shot to kingdom come with .22 rifles by me and my buddy Anderson Taylor, about 40 years ago...

Do you know what those are worth today?

I put a 45 through my brother in laws crony.

Dr.Rob
April 7, 2012, 10:06 AM
Partially filled propane tank sitting on a car hood with a Browning Automatic Rifle @ 200 yards. Flaming thing spun around like a Catherine wheel.

Machine gun shoots are fun.

sm
April 7, 2012, 10:08 AM
In teaching and passing forward to kids.
Every time I have done this, the kids faces not only show surprise, also the SAFETY stuff we do is "understood".

Nushif
April 7, 2012, 10:37 AM
... some tannerite.

Holding up an XBox 360 that gave me the red ring of death five times.
It took about four seconds to hit the ground. 8)

statelineblues
April 7, 2012, 11:00 AM
Was going through a Hogan's Alley training simulation using my S&W Model 39 9mm. I was laying behind some cover approximately 50 yards away from the first building when a reaction target popped up in a window. Only the head was showing, so I took aim and fired. I watched as, at first, nothing happened. Then it slowly fell backwards. After the exercise was over, I checked the target and saw a hole right above the bridge of the nose.

Inebriated
April 7, 2012, 11:42 AM
Your Droid

Were you inebriated at the time?

Nope. Perfectly sober.

essayons21
April 7, 2012, 12:02 PM
.50 cal API through IEDs

Shear_stress
April 7, 2012, 12:05 PM
Mid 70s Chevy Nova.

BCRider
April 7, 2012, 12:12 PM
A big pumpkin filled with cheap soda pop. Hit it with a 500S&W out of a short barrel rifle and it exploded into an orange mist. The biggest piece left other than the stem still hanging from the string was about the sized of a baby's fist.

Another time I helped a guy decommision an old dryer which had given him fits for years. It was actually quite interesting to see what different center fire and shotgun ammo did for penetration. I sure wouldn't want to take cover behind a mere care door after seeing what even 9mm can manage for penetrating metal.

wojownik
April 7, 2012, 12:28 PM
Short stack of CD/DVD discs. Made a pretty burst of silver shards reflecting in the sunlight.

Motorola Q "smart" phone. Gawd, I hated that phone. That was very satisfying with a 30-06.

ApacheCoTodd
April 7, 2012, 01:34 PM
The first round I ever shot outa this went (deliberately;)) through the passenger door of my discarded '66 Corvair. The combination of loading drill, separate reports of the firing - hammer release, ignition, gas and ball exit - and finally, waaaay after, the impact of the soft ball into and through the door hooked me on these pistols for life.
I spent the rest of the day shooting particularly for different impacts and penetrations all around our property because of the feed back of shooting that door.

Engine blocks, radiators, various woods, tin and finally the most satisfying was a bunch of old VW crank cases.

Gunnerboy
April 7, 2012, 01:42 PM
Shot a half full propane tank with a 3006 incendiary ..... terribly stupid idea.

Wildbillz
April 7, 2012, 01:49 PM
Used bic Butain lighters with a 22 make a neat puff.

Not me but a buddy of mine that is gone now.

Sat at the dinner table cleaning his 1911 one night. Finnished up and slapped a mag in to it and let the slide fly forward. Pointed it at the cats food dish. He was going to lower the hammer on it. Pulled the trigger without holding the hammer back. Off it went. Once his ears stopped ringing, there was a hissing sound. Not only did he kill the cats food dish. He managed to hit a 1/2" water pipe running under the subfloor of the house. He keept the cut out peice of pipe with the bullet stuck in it for years.

WB

Odd Job
April 7, 2012, 01:53 PM
Hit a few floppy disks and hard disks with .25 ACP and 9mm pistols.

On a cadets school visit to the artillery range we fired on a double-decker bus a few miles away, using an ordnance QF 25-pounder, There was only one direct hit and two partials, but as I pulled the string several times, I am claiming the bus ;)

Used 100 sheets of reject X-ray film for a training day. They were punched at the top and suspended from a beam. The sheets could stop any handgun round and also a 12 gauge slug, all fired from 20 feet. Stopped a crossbow bolt also.

As a teenager I made several exploding targets from match boxes, placed them in small tins with about 100ml petrol in the bottom and set those off by air rifle. After the last one set off neighbours' car alarms I stopped doing it.

Had a lot of fun splitting air rifle pellets on scalpel blades also.

Oh, I shot an LCD monitor with a compound crossbow, the arrow did NOT go through, those things are tough!

JRH6856
April 7, 2012, 02:28 PM
a lizard tried to run across my target just as I let a round go. Poor thing lost his head.

Bet we won't be seeing that on a GEICO commercial.

Most memorable thing I ever shot: A buzzard circling overhead. It was a head shot with a .22 rifle and pure luck. OTOH, my grandmother used the same rifle to shoot hawks that were after her chickens.

And then there was the .45 through the light switch in the bedroom...but we don't talk about that. :o

LeonCarr
April 7, 2012, 03:04 PM
A Jackrabbit at a lasered 175 yards from a bone stock Glock 17 9mm. One shot, one kill in front of three witnesses. Holding high, the sights and slide covered the entire animal.

I couldn't do that shot again if I tried :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

deadin
April 7, 2012, 03:14 PM
My greatest shot ever was a non-event as I didn't destroy anything.
We were shooting at old 78rpm records and I put a 30/06 bullet clean through the spindle hole without breaking the record.

(I had been hitting earlier ones with no problem, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it...:D)

MMCSRET
April 7, 2012, 03:39 PM
Probably the head of my dog when I was 12. He had taken up killing the neighbors chickens, never bothered ours. I was given the choice of taking care of him myself and being allowed to pick out a new one or someone else shooting him and I would not be allowed to have a dog as long as I lived at home. I took care of the problem and got a new dog. It is never forgotten, bad experience, good lesson.

Bubbles
April 7, 2012, 04:01 PM
Old 5-gal propane tank, mostly empty, with an incindiary round. KABOOM! :D

armoredman
April 7, 2012, 04:13 PM
Best, qualifying for ride along with Arizona Rangers years ago, and one course of fire was from the low ready fire two shots in 3 or 4 seconds. I fired one, and had a stovepipe. Cleared the jam, fired second shot, turned to the guy timing, and he just stared at me - I had a second and a half left. IIRC, it was at 5 yards, shots were touching. I probably couldn't do that again on a bet.
Second best, shooting from a front rest with my CZ 527M at 300 yards, scored a 3 shot 1.5 inch group. Had a witness, too. Have never tried to do it again. :)
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/527/527at300yardtarget.jpg
Worst, destroyed ALL my Star Wars Early Bird figure set with 22s in the 80s...the Jawa figure ALONE is worth over $1,500 now! GAHHH!!!!!

Iggy
April 7, 2012, 05:25 PM
Five point bull elk on my first elk hunting trip at 14 years of age. Range 30 yards.

Next best, Buck antelope at 430 yards with a Trapdoor 45-70.

SharpsDressedMan
April 7, 2012, 07:31 PM
A 19" B&W television set, in 1974. I believe I was watching "Shaft", and "dry" firing. :o The 90gr. Super Vel HP did not exit the TV. I think it disintegrated.

Sniderman
April 7, 2012, 07:51 PM
My old standby,,, Cans of Expandable foam,, Spectacular!
Come back the next day with some trash bags to clean up the solidified mess:evil:

BUCKrub91
April 7, 2012, 08:18 PM
Well it was way more than 1 bullet... but when I was living in Indiana we had a pos van out in the field that was flipped on its side... that thing ended up getting a BUNCH of holes in it....

Also after our garden died off and some of the vegitables we didnt pick got rotten I would go out there with a 12 gauge and a bunch of bird shot shells and cause mayhem :D

marksman13
April 7, 2012, 08:32 PM
The floor board of my best friend's Z-71. Don't ask.

dagger dog
April 7, 2012, 09:45 PM
Was visiting inlaws in rural SW Arkansas, and was invited to step outside and try out a 44 mag Super Blackhawk.

AJ says "see that oil can on the fence post across the road see if you can hit it"? So I take a fine bead and drop the hammer, I see the "oilcan" quiver.

AJ says "I think you missed take another shot", I do and see the "can" twitch again.

AJ, "missed it both times" me "don't think so, let's go look"

So we start walking toward the road and about 1/2 way there he starts veering off to the left toward the "oil can" and I'm on a beeline to HIS MAILBOX with two 44 caliber holes in it !

I offered to pay for a new one but he wouldn't hear of it, just took the gun and muttered something about being blind.

FROGO207
April 7, 2012, 10:42 PM
I was at the local rifle club with a friend and his son and we were target shooting at the 100 YD rifle target with a .22 MAG. It starts to rain and before we run up to get the target I take my Ruger 44 MAG SBH with iron sights and fire six rapid shots at the target. we run up to get the target and half way there the target falls off the stand. There are 5 holes in a 2 inch group and one has taken out the nail holding the target up. I have tried to do that again I bet 50 more times and NEVER get anything close to that size group, lucky if I manage to get 3 on the target usually.

Deus Machina
April 7, 2012, 10:43 PM
The target clip.

A friend put a scope mount on his Mosin Nagant. Ran the target out to the end of the range, pulled the trigger, and the target fell off, first shot. He thought it had come loose because the clips wear out and he hadn't folded it up a bit to help out.

Reeled it in, found out that the brand new clip had a clean .3" hole right through the center.

rduchateau2954
April 7, 2012, 10:52 PM
I have the fortune of having a beauty school drop out as a niece :)

These mannequin heads are self sealing, and always look pretty when they are done!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/mcdonl/4e237471.jpg
Lol I am sure that keeps the nosy neighbors away.

FROGO207
April 7, 2012, 11:49 PM
Mcdonl I guess that would make you guys head hunters right??:D

April 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
Back in the late '80s a bunch of us in Hawaii used to run and swim together on a regular basis. We'd often end up at one friend's house to drink beer, barbeque etc. He was a firefighter and a really neat guy with some strange garden ornaments. One of those ornaments was a 12" tall statue of the Ayatollah Khomeini and the rule was if you had to urinate, you had to urinate over the Ayatollah and sing "a call to prayer" as you were relieving yourself. He also had an air rifle and we used to take turns shooting small bells hanging in a tree. Needless to say, he was in full stream and song when I figured I'd go for a head shot!! :scrutiny: The Ayatollah lost his head that night, and in that one reckless moment, a great tradition died.

zeos
April 7, 2012, 11:51 PM
one of these:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/motorola/starmax3000/starmax3000_180mt.html

Krogen
April 8, 2012, 12:04 AM
5 gal, metal paint cans full of water. The lids were secured by the metal tabs.

458 Winchester with soft points at 20 feet.

The lids flew about 6 feet in the air on top of a column of water. Blew the sides out of the cans.

RedHeadHunter
April 8, 2012, 12:45 AM
Lizard's head from 100 yards.
2 pennies from 100 yards.
both with a 6mm PPC AR with 7.62x39 brass.

A duck in the eye from 80 yards with a 25 auto that I couldn't hit a
basket ball from 10 yards with 2 mags!

Witnesses on all of the above shots.

RedHeadHunter
April 8, 2012, 12:49 AM
Can't forget about a milk jug of water with a 500 S&W Mag.

allaroundhunter
April 8, 2012, 03:18 AM
For me it would probably be a half hour wasp hunt with a BB gun. Quite a fun "reactive" target.

ScottieG59
April 8, 2012, 03:41 AM
As a young teenager, I built a black powder derringer. I shot it a few times and kept missing and I could not imagine how. Was the ball coming out at right angles? I walked up to a pumpkin and shot it from about a foot away. It tore a large tunnel all the way though. It was my first step to leaving bb guns to the past.

altitude_19
April 8, 2012, 03:43 AM
Not a bullet, but I did see a Hellfire take out a motorcycle-borne suicide bomber once. When the missile hit, the charge went off and the motorcycle took off straight up to about 400 feet. It was like something out of a Wiley Coyote cartoon... Strange day.

essayons21
April 8, 2012, 10:22 AM
.50 cal API through IEDs

And I have video of a good one.

Warning: Some cursing, probably NSFW with the volume up.

High order SMUD video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbeWbUloG1M)

mberoose
April 8, 2012, 11:12 AM
The head of a toy doll.

Stopped at a gas station to grab a drink before the range, came back out to my car and saw this haggard looking doll head sitting on a concrete ledge. One eye was out, hair was pulled out, it was full of dirt underneath & me & my buddy were cracking up. Brought it to the range & blew it to pieces with my M44 Mosin. Now, this range has a thing against "lifelike" targets that resemble people, which I assumed was just pictures or whatever. After I retrieved it and came back to the table (cracking up) to show my buddy, one of the range officers saw it and also started cracking up. Said "yeah, can't have person-like things here, but I can't help but laugh." Told him how we found it, next thing you know a couple more range officers wander over and get a chuckle out of it too.

SimplyChad
April 8, 2012, 02:01 PM
Shot a half full propane tank with a 3006 incendiary ..... terribly stupid idea.
You misspelled awesome...

Dr. Houses face with a .357 mag or An IED with an LAW lol. I love my LT.

76shuvlinoff
April 8, 2012, 02:11 PM
A Federal hydra shock .45 through a treated 4x4 out of a 3 5/8 barrel at 5 feet brought me the epiphany that a fat hunk of lead doesn't have to be going 1400 ft/sec to get past a breast bone.

so yeah, it was memorable!

Moose458
April 8, 2012, 02:57 PM
Many years ago when I was much younger and dumber, I wanted to test the trigger pull on my "UNLOADED" AR-15. Aimed at a Fancy U of N pop bottle that was sitting in front of my wifes Singer sewing machine. Killed them both. Alomst had to change my underwear when it went off, needless to say since then I've always treated all my guns as if they are loaded. Wife very unhappy.

hang fire
April 8, 2012, 04:45 PM

You got off better than I did. Many years ago I was trout fishing and carried a .22 High Standard auto holstered on the belt, but in my left hip pocket to keep it from flopping around. A little buzz tail sidewinder struck at my foot, I pulled the pistol out, worked the slide to chamber (had told the wife a hundred times never to carry it chambered) and popped him for his failed efforts.

“WITHOUT” jacking out the loaded round I put the worthless safety on, reached around to put the pistol back into holster. The holster retaining strap got inside the trigger guard like it had eyes. Pushing the pistol back and forth (setting the safety on fire) I then rammed it down into holster, shooting myself in the upper rear thigh.

X-ray revealed the bullet had traveled through 16” of muscle before lodging behind my knee. I kept that perfectly mushroomed little .22 bullet for years as a reminder of my stupidity, as if I needed reminding myself, for the wife still today won’t let me forget it.

Justin
April 8, 2012, 05:15 PM
USPSA C-zone steel target at 600 yards with an AR15.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

cheep
April 8, 2012, 05:42 PM
12ga slug through a propane bottle near a road flair at night!!! WOW

hms365
April 8, 2012, 05:45 PM
One of mine was one of those 4# or 5# cans of green beans. It had been in a storage unit way too long to be considered as food. I'm looking through the scope and hit it with a 30-06, 150 gr. soft point. I see a green mist, and as we are chuckling and laughing, after about a 5 count the perfectly circular lid floats down. I remember there were beans about 10 - 12 paces IN FRONT of were the can was sitting.

Powerglide
April 8, 2012, 06:57 PM
Most memorable? A bobcats tail.Yes, he came out the tree into the dogs arms.Funny

TNboy
April 8, 2012, 07:25 PM
I recently shot a quart of unopened expired yogurt with a .270 Winchester Silvertip at about 20 yards, that was impressive, I filmed it too. Didn't find much of anything.

sugarmaker
April 8, 2012, 07:50 PM
Long ago I bounced a tracer off a rock and set a field on fire on a windy, dry spring day.

chucknbach
April 8, 2012, 08:06 PM
When I was a kid shot a jackrabbit with a .30 .30, rabbit went one way something else went spinning over the sage brush. Turned out it was his head.

Lex Luthier
April 8, 2012, 08:14 PM
Wells Fargo apparently did not need me as a customer anymore, so after relocating my assets to a credit union this week, I took my last two pieces of WF plastic to the range and had some fun.

Credit cards make excellent targets.

sgtstryker
April 8, 2012, 10:28 PM
I think it was watching my son, 14 at the time, shoot a .22 MKII at a rabbit and seeing holes appear in the rabbits ears. Two in one, one in the other. The rabbit lived for another day..

Driftertank
April 8, 2012, 11:02 PM
When i first got my 870 Security, i found one of those 5 gallon Gatorade dispensers somebody had left at the range. I loaded a 3" 00-Buck shell and hit it point blank, expecting a fist-size hole through both sides. Instead i got a fist-size hole in one side, a big blister on the other, and the whole container flew through the air about 6 feet. Much more satisfying...

Once shot a 3 month old watermelon i'd had in my fridge, with a .308 150gr SP. I expected it to split open dramatically, but i didn't expect it to explode completely...

Most interesting thing i DIDN'T hit was a soda can. Was shooting at some with a friend's Weatherby .22-250 with PMC Starfire when it started to rain, big fat raindrops. I lined up, squeezed off the shot, and saw 3 impact points. Only thing i can figure was the superlight, superfast bullet must have hit a raindrop big enough to open the fragile petals of the hollowpoint and make fragment in midair...something i'd never even considered a possibility!

evan price
April 9, 2012, 03:04 AM
We were shooting pistols at the range. There's a target wire strung 15 yards away on the berm. We had an assortment of targets and a 1-liter Mountain Dew bottle half full of rocks tied to a piece of twine hanging from the wire.
We were getting ready to leave and the bottle was still hanging there. I said I'd shoot the string. Lined up my Sig P220 and fired and the string parted, the bottle fell. We all dismissed it as a fluke. But it was a cool fluke.

When I junk a car I usually shoot it up. Last time I had an old rusted propane cylinder. Junk. Still had a quarter tank of propane but the valve handle had rusted off. So I put it on the front seat of a junked Toyota with a burning newspaper on the valve and shot it with an 8mm Mauser through the door. Blew out the windshield.

Mrs. Price cleaned out the bathroom of her old hair products she doesn't like and there were a number of cans of hair spray and similar products. I lined them up and again used burning newspaper and then shotgunned them. Wow, a small can made a huge fireball.

rugerdude
April 9, 2012, 03:16 AM
In sniper school I fired a round from the 700 yard line, it missed the target but it did hit a bird that happened to be flying from right to left in front of my target. My spotter just scratched his head over seeing a black puff, but one of the instructors who was watching realized that it was a bird.

I remember them briefing to us that we shouldn't fire with a bird flying in our scope's field of view and I thinking to myself "We couldn't hit a bird if we TRIED"

Also at a long range shooting course we were using our M40's to shoot at a target 1 mile away. After hitting right and left of it a few times there was a shot that didn't produce a dirt splash, but also didn't produce the clang of bullet hitting steel. My spotter believes that I hit a part of the rebar frame supporting it. Still, this thing was so far away that the scope could not adjust enough to bring the crosshairs on target.

spikedzombies
April 9, 2012, 05:21 AM
I shot my mother.... One of the most precious thing in my life... Stupid birdshot.

"Sent while drunk, on the toilet and nursing a rum and coke"

ultradoc
April 9, 2012, 07:34 AM
tanerite. now that was fun!

jdietz
April 9, 2012, 10:00 AM
Grandfather Clock action with a .25 auto.

Trust me, You DO NOT want to know!!!!

pockets
April 9, 2012, 10:39 AM
My neighbor's VW Squareback when I was 12.
Don't ask how.......

Godsgunman
April 9, 2012, 11:24 AM
Most memorable non-living creature would have to be right after high school at my friends uncles farm shooting an old truck with my M44, went clean through the engine block. Also had an old mower that we tied mortars to and used the bullets to light the fuses. Unknown to us the mower still had some gas left in it, a little more than the mortars blew up ;p

RainDodger
April 9, 2012, 12:21 PM
It's not nearly as exciting for you guys as it was for me. It wasn't even a "real" rifle... but it was my Beeman R9 with a .177 pellet. I was being totally silly and shot out my back door into my garage, where I hit a can of yellow spray paint.... which proceeded to spray everywhere. All over my nearly new wood chipper, which is orange and now has yellow spray paint all over it. I'm really thanking the gods that my wife's vehicle wasn't in its usual place, a couple of feet away. It wasn't that great a shot either, as I was aiming for the plastic cap. It was a very old can of paint, which I mistakenly thought had nothing left in it....

walker944
April 9, 2012, 12:29 PM
A tin can, sitting on a wood fence post, at about 25', when I was 10 yrs old, with my dad's Beretta .25 cal tomcat. That was the first time I ever shot a handgun, and had no clue what a great shot that was. The hole was dead center in the can!! I couldn't repeat that again if my life depended on it. I shoot well, but that was rediculously well, that day.

StrutStopper
April 9, 2012, 01:15 PM
Shooting at playing cards with our compound bows at 20 yards. The cards were held on the target butts sideways, so we were shooting at the edge. The only way I was able to see where the card was was by the split stick that we were using to hold the card in place. I don't remember how many times I actually hit one, but it was like 2 or three times.

Kristensdaddy
April 9, 2012, 01:41 PM
Not that this was smart - I was 16 - the passenger window of a green 1972 Ford LTD with a daisy powerline bb gun. The car was moving a 55 mph. Following the shot, I was moving at 55 mph the opposite direction.

35 years later and I am still waiting for Karma to bite me back.

Numeric
April 9, 2012, 01:41 PM
A golf ball nestled against the berm from 25yds with a .22LR. It went straight up and came down about 4 seconds later.

An unopened can of Mt. Dew someone left in the sun all day. Dad shook it up and I hit it with a 180gr .30-06 at 100yds. It peeled the can open like a flower, and the top half of the can just vanished.

Hotshot10
April 9, 2012, 02:32 PM
Definitely this pineapple. It's good to know the produce manager at my local grocery store. :evil:

It was, by the way, hit with a 158-grain .357 magnum from about 10 yards.

wgaynor
April 9, 2012, 09:13 PM
Caught a good sized catfish this past weekend. Instead of killing it with a screw driver through its head (can be hard to do on the big ones), I just pulled out my hi-point c9 (my fishing gun) and put a hp between it's eyes...

very effective.

bergmen
April 9, 2012, 09:26 PM
I have an HP printer that deserves three or four 20 round magazines from my M1A. I would hose it down with more but the ammo is worth more than that sorry excuse for a printer (B8550). It's day will come.

Dan

CZguy
April 9, 2012, 10:16 PM
A tea spoon at 100 yards, with a iron sighted .22 LR.

Certaindeaf
April 9, 2012, 10:18 PM
The roof of a fine Mercedes Benz sedan owned by my buddy many, many years ago.. I was around 18 and using it as a rest. .270 Weatherby magnum.

Hossfly68
April 9, 2012, 10:24 PM
My sister's right butt cheek, with a bb gun at about 250 yards. Had the thing propped on my thigh at about a 45 degree angle and just figured I would hit the barn roof near her. Mom hit me so hard that I don't remember the next three days.

The best shot was sighting in my brand new .22 on Christmas Day though. Dad and I were out in the pasture shooting at the target about 50 yards away. Dad figured he had the thing sighted in since I was pretty much hitting were I was aiming. I said, "Daddy, I think I can hit the thumbtack holding the target up." "you can't hit the tack. I can't even see it."
Bang!
"ok Son, I think you've got the idea. It's cold. Let's go in."
Still don't know who was more surprised that I got it.

lono
April 9, 2012, 11:10 PM
A fully charged fire extinguisher at 100 yards with a 30-06. That was a cool one, a huge white cloud.

Herk30
April 10, 2012, 03:03 PM
That would definitely have to be a 45 HP with my XD45 through the palm of my hand. Yeah, that's very memorable.

jahwarrior
April 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
A seagull. I wasn't aiming for it, either. I was at an SGL range here in PA, just shooting my guns, and one swooped down in front of a .45ACP slug. I don't know what it was after. I had to run downrange just see where I'd hit it; I got it right through the side.

MrBorland
April 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
A pair of non-threats at this year's S&W IDPA Indoor Nationals. Combined with a costly missed head shot, the first cost me the bump to Distinguished Master :fire:, and the 2nd (on the last stage :banghead:), the win. I now have a nice "1st Master" trophy to remind me to stay focused. ;)

hardluk1
April 10, 2012, 05:20 PM
My best was shooting mule deer with a 7mm 140gr barnes X bullet many years ago. Hit him in the right ham right near the little brown ring. Found it 51" later under the hide at the front shoulder. Broke the hip, also broke several disk were shattered bullet hit 2 ribs and the front shoulder blade. Only barnes x bullet I ever recovered.

RudeMood
April 10, 2012, 06:00 PM
When I was a very young man my dad bought me a new England arms single shot 20ga. He decided I was going to warm up to it on a few coke-a-cola classics to be sure.

My first shot I completely missed, and still don't know how. The second I saw the can move, but Dad thought I missed it. I asked him to check it, so he went to pick it up and the can bottom opened like a flap at the bottom and poured out what was left in it. I'm still scratching my head over the physics of that one to this day as we never saw a splash and it didn't fall over.

As an aside, I "shot" myself with the same 20ga the next year. I was reloading too fast and my hand closed in the breach so that my hand cocked and covered the hammer/release. I had no choice but to point it a safe direction and set it off so that I could get the finger of my other hand underneath the caught one and [passed the hammer to open the hinge release. Not something i'll ever forget.

Tex62
April 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
"The roof of a fine Mercedes Benz sedan owned by my buddy many, many years ago.. I was around 18 and using it as a rest. .270 Weatherby magnum. "

My dad had a friend do that to a Cadilac with fins. Shot it 2-3 times before he knew what he was doing.

Shot at a lot forsale sign from about a 1/4 mile with a scoped .22. Missed the sign, but it the stick that it was mounted on. I probably aimed 10-15 ft above the sign...

Ryanxia
April 11, 2012, 11:00 AM
Neighbor let me shoot his son's Barny doll with his .22 when I was a kid.
Shooting budweiser cans with my BB gun as a kid (empty cans).

Tannerite. :D

Jeremiah10:23
April 11, 2012, 11:09 AM
HERK30

I just noticed your tag line. You did't happen to be in Great Lakes Illinois in the mid 80's did you? We had an instructor that used that as a name tag.

clamman
April 12, 2012, 10:05 AM
In a former life I was watching TV and was quite drunk. I got teed off at some commercial and shot it from 10' away with my .357 Smith. I was seperated at the time. When my ex found out I had a new set she wanted to know what was wrong with the old one. Being a honest man I told her the truth. I told her it was shot. :eek::eek::eek:

Certaindeaf
April 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
^
Elvis lives!

cyclopsshooter
April 12, 2012, 11:10 AM
A new stainless Ruger Single-Six inside a glass display case and an Erma .22lr copy of a Walther PPK with a headspace issue- There was NO firing pin indentation! As the slide loaded a round, the short headspace compressed the entire circumference of the rimfire primer.. POP* (Cheers to always having your firearm pointed in a SAFE direction..)

I could live with the broken glass and selling the new Single Six as used... But I no longer chamber unproven firearms without being "in the range"

wasr10634unme
April 12, 2012, 12:14 PM
i wanna shoot that new geico pig. wakes me up constantly. only ones

Superdave70_02
April 12, 2012, 03:03 PM
My 14 aluminum v-bottom boat from 6" with a scoped 10/22. I was driving down a country road pulling the boat when I saw 3 badgers tearing up my dads wheat field. I grabbed the gun, jumped out and started shooting. I hit two quickly but the third was running fast down a fence row. I was shooting over the boat and through the scope could not tell I had dropped down onto it.

It hit the top rail which is about 3/4" thick and the bullet splattered back into my face. I was wearing sunglasses. My wife and son thought it was hilarious. It did not go through the aluminum.

BlackSky
April 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Watermelon. Don't get to shoot much other than game animals and paper around here.

Dr T
April 12, 2012, 04:24 PM
A Pentium CPU chip...I never did much like that computer...

lilguy
April 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
Stairway ceiling in my home, old home built like tank, contain 12 gauge OO buck blast. Only problem was families reaction.:what:

Kiln
April 13, 2012, 02:56 AM
The floor of my buddy's grandma's house when I was 15 or so. He handed me an "unloaded" single action revolver so I cocked the hammer back and dry fired it towards the floor. (I had been taught better but didn't listen, this was thankfully a painless wake-up call.)

It was like everything switched to slow motion for a second after the gun went off. He convinced his grandmother it was a firecracker so she didn't freak out but the impression it made on me was lasting.

I am extremely careful now with firearms.

herkyguy
April 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
I took a bobcat this past gun season with my Ruger GP100 .357 (6" barrel) from my treestand at about 30 yards. I was just sitting there mad at myself for spooking a doe on my walk in, hadn't seen a thing all day until right at sunset and he comes walking out of some brush along a fenceline.

Took me two days to find him. Oddly enough, I found him on Christmas Eve.

OkieGentleman
April 13, 2012, 10:07 PM
Age 15, eyesight excellent, reflexes quick. Jackrabbit hunting with cousin. A big Jack jumps up and runs straight away from me. One fast shot with .22 and Jack tumbles into dirt dead. :confused: Hmm where did I hit him? Check the Jack no holes, roll him over on his back. There is a sliver of meat between his legs and a penis, no testicles. I killed that poor Jack by shooting his privates off. :eek: Only rabbit I ever killed that I felt sorry for. That was 52 years ago this year. I still laugh when I think about it.:evil:

Needles
April 13, 2012, 11:11 PM
Engine block. With an SKS, shooting FMJ surplus rounds at about 40 feet. I was impressed.

Legionnaire
April 14, 2012, 04:28 PM
Distracted by phone call while clearing my carry gun. Dropped magazine; answered phone. Inserted empty mag; point in safe direction (my waterbed); pull trigger. Good news is that a waterbed mattress will, in fact, stop a 9mm hollow point. That bullet now sits on the head of my bed as a reminder.

zedsdead
April 14, 2012, 05:32 PM
Osama Bin Laden:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7938/1004450n.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/1004450n.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Pacsd
April 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
somewhere near the Mekong river before the were ROE's.

gordy
April 14, 2012, 07:36 PM
A very nice 7 point buck, my first.

tightgroup tiger
April 14, 2012, 08:18 PM
a ferel cat at 450yds with a mauser and open sights off of a picnic table at my dads house and a ground hog through the eye with a 243 win offhand at 75yds.

My father beat me though in our competion by shooting a water snake in the neck at 125 yds laying on the dock of his lake with his 1946 model 70 also in 243.

bikerdoc
April 14, 2012, 08:40 PM
somewhere near the Mekong river before the were ROE's.

Somewhere in the A shau well within the roe.

Guy B. Meredith
April 15, 2012, 02:55 AM
Love the cell and smart phone targets. I'd love to have an entire IPSC or ICORE match where all the targets are (whatever)pads, cell phones and smart phones.

Back before cell phones when pagers were the thing my daughter got one against my orders so I took it out with a couple of shots from my Ruger MK510. Others at the range acted like I'd shot the Bible.

GI_Jared
April 15, 2012, 05:06 PM
somewhere near the Mekong river before the were ROE's

Free Fire Zones?

Seamore2001
April 16, 2012, 09:58 PM
An old refrigerator dumped out in the woods, when I was nine. Little did my uncle and I know, before I started shooting, that some bees had set up a hive in the appliance....

Kaptain Five
April 17, 2012, 08:35 AM
We put a couple 12ga slugs through a broken Xbox 360.
My wife was happy, until i bought another Xbox :D

Smith357
April 17, 2012, 10:20 AM
A .50 BMG though a manhole cover. It punched a hole so clean you could see the riflings from the bullet in the steel.

j1
April 17, 2012, 10:30 AM
I shot a fly on my 100 yard target. Looking through the scope I saw a hole where there should be no hole. It was a fly. That 223 had a 18 power scope and I told my buddy "Watch this." I shot and he said how do we know you really hit it? When I pulled the target one hole had specks of fly blood around a hole. He bitchingly admitted I made the shot.

Dr T
April 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
Not mine, but:

A friend, when he was a young police officer, accidentally discharged a 12 ga. riot gun into the new carpet in the station house. When he retired as a detective many years later, the small square of carpet with a nice 12 ga. size scorched hole in it, nicely framed, was presented to him at his retirement party...

CountryUgly
April 17, 2012, 02:19 PM
First off this is a great thread and some of the stories are quite amazing. It's threads like this that make me love THR. Now my turn, Dec. 2007 I shot a doe at a measured twice with a measuring wheel 690 yards with a Savage 111 in .30-06 my wife and step father both witnessed the shot and i made them sign a sworn statement attesting to the fact of what they witnessed because no one was ever going to believe it. I actually thought it was closer to 400 yards till we measured it with the measuring wheel.

rm23
April 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
A full propane tank with a lit flare taped to it.

langenc
April 17, 2012, 11:50 PM
I see one of those hard drives at the range every now and then.

Why the slob that shot it didnt take it home, I wonder what his living room looks like??

offroaddiver
April 17, 2012, 11:57 PM
most memorable...saw a 12 gauge round stuck in the target stand... hit it with 22 and boom. and a rifled slug through a squirrel when hunting with my grandfather as a kid.... not the nicest memory but memorable

dajowi
April 18, 2012, 04:26 PM
This is easy.

Sitting in a concrete bunker in the Aleutians shooting at unexploded WWII ordnance. All you had to do was point and shoot. There was a lot of shock sensitive bombs, mines, shells etc. just itching to explode. WHAT A BLAST!

Tempest 455
April 18, 2012, 04:59 PM
A computer that pissed me off for years.

Long version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gl2RSvXyAA

Short version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-1zwpCvoc

armedwalleye
April 18, 2012, 07:52 PM
Had some dirt work done when we built a house. Was in the process of paying the man $500 for his day's work when a gopher pushed up a mound 60 yards out. Politely paused the payment, stepped indoors and grabbed the first gun I could lay hands on, a Rem .22 speedmaster with iron sights. Jacked one round in, leaned in on the garage door frame, held high and hit the gas. The dirt was just starting to move, came through the dirt mound and clipped Mr Gopher in the top of the head, rolling him out of the burrow. Checked the gun to make sure the chamber was clear, set the rifle on the pickup tailgate, turned back to the gentleman and asked him, Where were we?" His response was classic. "We are all done, and I was just leaving...."

skt239
June 15, 2012, 06:31 AM
I paint can at around 100 yards with the iron sites on an SKS. Probably no big deal to a lot of guys on this forum but I don't really shoot rifles or long distances.

steven58
June 15, 2012, 03:30 PM
A few years back a friend of mine accidentally put 3 .223 Barnes X copper slugs through a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy.

the bullets went in just under the nose and exited the rear. They did not expand.

Fortunately they did no damage and took only about 24 hrs to pass through. All 3 rounds were recovered from a pile of "backstop" and, after being rinsed off, were no worse for wear;)

After that he kept a better eye on his pup till he learned not to chew on reloading supplies.

Water-Man
June 15, 2012, 03:51 PM
Not exactly sure but everone called him 'Charlie'.

ErieLurker
June 15, 2012, 06:43 PM
An old WWII "Ram" tank with an M-72.

Bit of a "flare" as it burned through the armour, and then a loud THUNK! Kind of anti-climatic.

But then again an M-72 doesn't quite qualify as a "bullet" per se.

Driftertank
June 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
A few years back a friend of mine accidentally put 3 .223 Barnes X copper slugs through a 3 month old German Shepherd puppy.....

I was about to become a bit outraged before i finished that story. But when it clicked, i LOL'ed.

Well played sir, in a twisted sort of way...

WALKERs210
June 15, 2012, 07:51 PM
Back around the mid 80's my neighbors and I were out shooting a CO2 pellet pistol. When we got ready go call it a day I made comment about showing how to quick draw and shoot. Friend tossed a can in the air I drew and fired, TINK, I actually hit it. When we picked the can up the pellet was inside the can, pellet had went thru the opening. His wife really thought I was that good and intended to do that. Never did tell her it was just blind luck.

skeeziks
June 15, 2012, 07:58 PM
The hole of a washer....

When I was a kid I would throw a large washer in the air and try to shoot thru the hole with my 5mm Sheridan Pellet Rifle. Naturally, I covered the hole with a piece of tape. After many tries I finally managed to put it clean thru the middle.
When I saw Jimmy Stewart do it in Winchester '73 I just knew I had to practice until I could do it too.

SleazyRider
June 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
My snowblower. I couldn't take it anymore. It was a violent act---a crime of passion one might say---but I have no regrets.

25cschaefer
June 15, 2012, 08:32 PM
Had the bright idea to shoot full propane tanks (yes, bbq size); it didn't work at first because there was no spark and the gas leaked out of the first one. My buddy sat a lit road flare on top of the second. Bang, hiss...10seconds...BOOM. We found out we were way too stupid and way too close (35yds), as was the ATV, we had to walk home and explain to his dad how his 4 month old Polaris had; 3 flat tires, no headlight and coolant leaking all over. At least we were smart enough to hide behind trees.

fxstchewy
June 15, 2012, 09:07 PM
Deer, Thanksgiving morning, 7:10 am.............:)

YankeeFlyr
June 15, 2012, 09:27 PM
...I was driving regionally for an appliance wholesaler in the early 90's. One morning on the dock we were loading GE refridgerators into my Mack Midliner for the day's run.

I noticed one of them had a small hole in the carton; I thought maybe the forklift driver had somehow holed the packaging and called him on it. Well, no he hadn't. We cut off the carton and dang, there was a hole in the front of the freezer door. I removed the tape and there was another hole in the back of said door. At the rear of the freezer compartment was yet another small hole, and on the back...another hole.

And a .22 bullet embedded in the coils on the back side of the fridge. This was a just-arrived factory-first quality unit.

I looked at the forklift driver and said; "Union dispute at General Electric?".

:)

Erik M
June 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
7.62x54 through a hot water heater, punched clean through with no fragmentation. I also once shot a hp printer with #4 buckshot, oddly enough it was on fire when I shot it ;)

Snag
June 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Most recent memorable thing was a 25 foot tape measure. Surprisingly it took a bunch of 45 Colt rounds before one busted the case apart sending the entire 25 feet of tape in the air all at once.

SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE
June 15, 2012, 11:03 PM
A few years ago my son gave me a Ruger SRH in 454 casull for fathers day . Almost immediately I became a handloader . We were trying out some of my loads at a friends hunting camp where a deck was under construction . We set up a treated wood 4x4 end on and shot it with a 300 grain jhp from about 30 ft the bullet traveled 29 1/2 inches into the wood and looked like it could have been reused ! The same load vaporized a honeydew mellon from 30 ft ,biggest piece we could find was about size of a quarter ! Kevin

Ignition Override
June 16, 2012, 01:09 AM
A buddy never told me that the 7.62x39 (SKS) round was aimed at a small bottle of Tannerite, hidden behind a small object.
It's nice that only two bullets were needed.

The more memorable thing will be a feral pig, if any can be found in west TN/north MS.
Only private land allows such hunting in TN.

wwace
June 16, 2012, 03:09 AM
Once when dove hunting near Chandlar AZ there was a mass hatching of some kind of toad. I must have shot 30 or 40 with my buddy. Hit with a 12ga they would fly spread eagle for quite a ways while shedding various pieces.

Another time in the desert I came upon an old mine shaft and as I came to the edge of it I could smell the unmistakable smell of skunk. Well it was about 25 feet deep and probably 15 in diameter. As I looked down I saw a skunk run across. Next one that ran out I shot, then another, then several more. My dad came over and got in several kills also, before we figured the smell was too bad. The mine pit shooting gallery was tops. I have no idea how many we killed but there was no shortage of skunk in that pit.

Another time near Florence I peered into a rabbit hole as I walked past and saw a Diamondback. It was going crossways at the bottom of the hole. I shot it once and after a bit I saw it coming up the hole so I blasted it again. The hole collapsed so I sent my bud for a shovel. My dad brought one and we dug up the snake which was huge, I blew him into three chunks and putting the pieces together it was still almost six feet long and he was five inches thick. I still have the rattles, 18 sheds long. That was in 1974 I believe, god I had fun in Arizona before moving to Alaska a couple of years later.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae206/wwace/2012-06-1523-27-26135.jpg

theCan
June 16, 2012, 03:14 AM
I dreamt 2 nights ago that I had negligent discharge. I shot the ceiling. Talk about a bad start to your morning. Thank god it was only a dream!

Captaingyro
June 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
This. It's a strafe target. Acoustic scorers record how many rounds pass between the supports.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/517018/StrafingTarget.jpg

7thCavScout
June 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
On a range in Grafenwoehr W. Germany I inadvertently shot a deer that was running down range with a 25mm TP-T round from M242 Bushmaster chain gun in a M3 Bradley CFV.

thevolkp
June 16, 2012, 03:08 PM
A large 7 point buck with my 454 Casull Super Redhawk pistol at 70 yards. Never knew what hit him. Flipped him over backwards.

jscott
June 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
I worked at an outdoor shooting range in high school.... going on 20 years ago.

One of the regulars brought in a sealed, 5 gallon bucket of pickles. He must have worked for a food distributor or something. Anyway, we set those pickles out at 100 yards and shot it with a .458 Win Mag.

In hindsight, we should have set the bucket at the 200 yard line. :)

swiftak
June 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
The floorboard of my friends, fathers Chevy pickup way back in 1974.

prestpat
June 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
Boy does this bring back some memories. I can stand to punch paper just about long enough long enough to sight a gun in, but after that, I like to shoot things that react, and I've tried a lot of things. 3 really stand out:

3rd place: Spray paint cans. I'm sure lots of people have done this, but my twist was buying some blank canvases and going home with homemade modern art! Believe it or not, some of it didn't look half bad.

2nd place, a friend's cell phone, shot with a golf ball gun. A golf ball gun is not the last word in accuracy, but we hung the phone from a tree and by pure luck I hit it dead center. She used to keep the pieces in a plastic bag, hung on her refrigerator as a warning to future phones (that one gave her a lot of trouble).

1st place, an ostrich egg that had been sitting outside in the summertime for, oh, six weeks. I shot it with a .270 at pretty close range, which vaporized it instantly. Turning a giant rotten egg into a gas cloud seemed like a good idea right up until the wind changed. We left in a hurry...

Sniper66
June 16, 2012, 04:06 PM
I hit a running coyote at 200 yds in the neck with my Ruger #1 .204. He dropped dead on the spot.

Coop45
June 16, 2012, 04:38 PM
While on safari in East Africa......err at my grandma's house, I spotted a dangerous man eating.......err chicken. I took careful aim with my trusty safari rifle........err Daisy BB gun and blasted that dangerous......chicken. It growled...err squalked loudly and ran into the jungle....weeds. I continued my safari, but saw no other game that day. Upon returning to my camp.....err granny's house, I discovered a very familiar man eating...err chicken had somehow chose to die right in front of my tent...err granny's front door. The game warden....err Dad wanted to know if I had been taking man eaters....err chickens out of season. I confessed that I had in fact taken a shot at one that had a dangerous look in his eye, but it ran off. This dead ...chicken did have what appeared to be a tiny hole in it's side and the warden confiscated my Daisy...errr safari rifle and held it for a while.

DAdams
June 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20120615/NEWS03/120615029/Man-shoots-himself-in-the-penis-in-Birmingham

This guy? His Johnson!!! :eek:

MrDig
June 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
I don't have a specific target that comes to mind. But I opened the Gen Gun Discussions and this thread
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=663908
Was immediately followed by this thread.
So it looked like this

Man Shoots Through His Manhood with .40

It was too ironic not to share if it's inappropriate I will understand deleting this comment.

T.R.
June 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
I was with USAF and stationed in Spain back in the 1980's. It took over a year to get a permit to hunt fallow deer which are native to this country. I hired a guide through Worldwide Safaris Inc. and had a great time.

Fallow buck has 27 points! No kidding.

TR

Fatdaddy
June 17, 2012, 07:35 AM
Tannerite!
Memorable every time.http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/lowangz/th_Tannerite.jpg (http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv297/lowangz/?action=view&current=Tannerite.mp4)

pharmer
June 17, 2012, 03:48 PM
45 years ago, I found a full can of blue spray paint in the woods. Shook it real good, set it on a stump and shot it from 50 ft. The "sphere of blue" was about 20 ft in diameter. Joe

Hugo
June 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
Don't forget to pick up all the bits of any electronics (including hard drives) you shoot up at the range. They have gold and other rare earth metals and some toxic metals you need to take to a recycling center or scrapyard. You might make some $$ selling things.

Never just throw electronics (even small ones) into the trash.

Inebriated
June 17, 2012, 06:44 PM
First shot from my brand spanking new Arsenal SGL-21... rested against the ATV, took aim at the small box of tannerite 150 yards down range, and squeezed..... pa-BOOM!

Irons, too.

ThorinNNY
June 19, 2012, 01:50 PM
Back in the late 1950`s, my dad took me,( for my first time ) fishing on a Party boat- you paid your fare and they took you to an offshore fishing grounds and provided your bait. They chummed heavily- we were going after bluefish. Fishing was good for a while, then a shark that looked as big as a Greyhound bus showed up.

One of the mates grabbed an M-1 carbine and emptied a whole magazine into the shark. The mate must have scored some hits, I saw that thing bleed. But it seemed to me all those hits didn`t do the shark much damage. I thought it might get mad at us and ram the boat like that white whale did in a movie I saw.Fortunately it just changed course and swam away.

wisconsin
June 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Beehive with a 10ga

splattergun
June 19, 2012, 07:28 PM
My pocket comb jammed into a crack in the top of a rock. Hit edge-on from 25 yds with my SKS. Same SKS hit a nail on the head at 25 yds, I can't get smaller than 2" group at 100 yds. Iron sights.

hang fire
June 19, 2012, 07:48 PM
My leg.

USAF_Vet
June 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
One of the most memorable shots was one I didn't even take. Watched my step daughter dust a clay pigeon laying 65 yards down range with my .22. What makes this impressive is the fact that it was the first bullet she ever shot in her life.

I have a few memorable shots I had to take in Iraq, but won't discuss them here.

Last shot I took for laugh was a can of expandable foam in a pressurized can. I wanted to fill a hole in a tree the redneck way. Foam blasted out in a 15 foot radius, and very little actually got in the hole I wanted to fill.

v8stang289
June 19, 2012, 08:46 PM
Can of Carb cleaner with a lit road flare behind it at 25 yds with a 1911. The ensuing fireball was huge and awesome.

lono
June 19, 2012, 10:01 PM
A large full fire extinguisher with a 30-06. Very cool, very large white mushroom cloud.

cheeze
June 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
When I was a kid, a friend and I went squirrel hunting in the woods with our bb guns. We walked out of the woods into a meadow with a large old oak tree with spanish moss hanging out of it all over. Really pretty spot. A large bumblebee flew by and I said, "Watch this... I'm gonna shoot that bee while he's flying." and raised the rifle and shot. A wing spun around like a maple or pine seed as it fell to the ground. I don't normally shoot something that I don't intend to eat, but then, I never really figured I would hit the thing. I just used to call crazy stuff like that and pull it off somehow.

Years later, as teenagers, the same friend and I were at a pool hall and had finished playing. We were standing around talking and listening to the jukebox. Someone laid their pool stick on the table with the handle up on the rail and the tip on the table. I grabbed the cue ball and said, "Watch this, I'm gonna hit the cue ball and walk it up the stick off the table." I took aim and shot and darned if it didn't walk up the stick! I could probably never do it again, but it did.

It's one thing to have someone witness these wild shots, and even better, I called the shots before I made them. That friend is still in awe when we get to talking about "the good ol' days" days and the topic comes up.

fishingjunkie
June 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
Most memorable: A toilet. Sounds lame, but when my grandfather taught me to shoot at like 9 or 10, he had an empty house across a field, and when he was looking for something to use for target practice, he found a new toilet still in the box outside the hosue. He took it out in the field in front of a dirt hill, set it up, walked back and let me have at it. 3rd bullet finally hit the tank and it shattered. That was the first target/thing I ever hit, period. So therefor, I remember it the most.

rodregier
June 21, 2012, 12:04 PM
Knocked over a cut piece of 4x4 from 900m using a 10 meter holdover (Kentucky windage/elevation) with a rifle chambered in .308 Win. Of course, I was aiming at a paper target 1.5 meters to the left of the 4x4 chunk at the time :-)

Pure luck, but it made me laugh.

Ultravox
June 21, 2012, 02:36 PM
Just realized that I do have some things to add to this thread.

As a teen I used to put spray paint cans on the curb of the street in front of my house and shoot them from the third story window with a bb gun. My parents would have tanned my hide if they had seen it.

The biggest mess was when we shot an old box of wine with a .270 Winchester. The wine was old and spoiled and it sure made a smelly cloud.

WNTFW
June 22, 2012, 12:16 AM
My latest were:
My last was a 12 gauge shot shell hull on the back stop berm of a 200 yd range with a .22lr.
So I am guessing 210-220 yd range. I hit it twice and hit close enough to a second hull to move it. I had a 3x9 scope. I had to use a spotting scope to find the shell & then use the rifle scope.
Trip before that was hitting a skeet in the same spot with open sighted AR in .223. My shooting buddy bested me though. He shot a 3 shot group with the same rifle that was well less than an inch w/2 shot in the same hole. Thank you 69gn Sierra Match Kings! It is a NMAR that he helped get together so I was glad he got the first good group with it.
I think it will be hard for me to beat that for some time.

Centurian22
June 22, 2012, 01:39 AM
Ok going out on a 'not quite a firearm' limb here but.... One of my first potato guns (amazing how much fun could be had with some PVC, propane and a grill sparker!!!) my friends and I found a box of old 'Lawn Darts' on a shelf in storage. Plastic fins were mostly cracked and broken so we pulled off all the plastic, wrapped the steel shaft in rolled newspaper and Jammed it down the four foot barrel with our ram rod, tight fit had us all looking around wondering 'should we really do this?' Not wanting to risk it blowing up the chamber next to our faces, we pawned the shot off on the guy who was most accurate shooting from the hip. 15 seconds of propane injected from a burns-o-matic torch head, screwed the cap on, screamed "fire in the hole" and held our breath. After one hell of a KABOOM we all ran for the tree which had been hit dead center about 12 feet up. It not only the pointed tip, but half of the 3/4 inch weight into the trunk. Couldn't remove it with a pry bar and still to this day it remains (shot about a decade ago).

As for true firearms: my most recent range trip hitting a clay pidgion on the 200 yard berm with my .308 savage axis on the first try. I know to most that isn't that impressive but I was excited about it.

Jim, West PA
June 22, 2012, 03:06 PM
One time my BIL and i were deer huntin up in Pa's more desolate mountains.
He had driven that day and we were standin along side the road about mid day eatin some samiches next to his Dodge Ram.
This day was in the late 80's and his Ram was an older early 70's model at the time and he had just done extensive work to it restorin it.
Well, we're kind o' millin 'round near the front o' his vehicle, talkin deer dreams, kickin stones and eatin samiches and he starts a talkin 'bout how much he liked his 'new' Ram and jist how much he actualy put into it.
I listened to him go on and on fer a spell and i then remark to him.
"I hafta agree with ya Bill, these are great 'trucks' and ya done real good work but ya know what it needs ? "
Bill..."what ?"
" A bullet hole right about here " and with that i pulled my Black Hawk and sent a 158gr. JHP right thru the middle of the passenger door.( which was open btw )
The look on his face was absolutely PRICELESS :what:
After the color came back into his face he looks me right in the eye and says...... " yer absolutley right "

Texan Scott
June 22, 2012, 03:27 PM
^"...and that's how I lost these three teeth, right here..."

marksman13
June 24, 2012, 01:08 PM
Jim, had that been my truck, I would have had a widowed sister.

cheep
June 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
"and that's how I lost MY LAST THREE TEETH, right here..."

TenDriver
June 25, 2012, 11:24 AM
A bunch of us were out camping one night when one of the guys says "holy excrement, look at this spider!". I had his Crossman Classic pistol ready to fire, and upon hearing this I turned and fired into the spider web. It was only about 10 ft away, but I hit the spider clean without touching the web. It was perfectly intact.

Another time we were all skeet shooting, and ran out of clays. I still had one in the chamber and there were dragon flies buzzing around. I shot at one and saw the wings fall to the ground. We reloaded.....

theCan
June 25, 2012, 04:05 PM
Sporting for insects huh? I wonder what fish and game would have to say about that :p

Kristensdaddy
June 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
I must admit, I have shot all manner of man-made objects but the most fun recently has been Tannerite. I've seen it on the internet so I bought a container. Seriously, that's the most legal fun shooting I have had in a long time. Not knowing just how explosive the stuff was, I blew up my silhouette stand. Not just blew it up but blew a 2x6x8foot board 50 feet above the trees.

Shortly after we were done, the neighbor calls to see if I am OK. After I tell him about Tannerite his next question is "where can I get some of that."

smalls
June 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
Spiders are ALWAYS in season. Along with snakes, and other nasty creepy crawly things.

TheCracker
June 25, 2012, 07:36 PM
For me it was a pineapple that I shot with a 9mm HP round at close range. 166978
This is a still from the video I took!

Here is the YouTube video of it:

http://youtu.be/OhDtky0en1M

bigdipper
June 25, 2012, 08:18 PM
Me and my buddies were at the range shooting skeet i had my break action 20ga and ran out of bird shot but did have a few slugs left. all my friends said i couldn't do it, i shattered the clay first shot... showed them!

Texan Scott
June 25, 2012, 09:03 PM
cracker, i hope that box of pull-ups was empty- those things are EXPENSIVE! How do you afford a shooting hobby AND a toddler? robbing banks as well as tropical fruit stands? nice horizontal spray, btw.

TenDriver
June 25, 2012, 11:35 PM
cracker, i hope that box of pull-ups was empty- those things are EXPENSIVE! How do you afford a shooting hobby AND a toddler? robbing banks as well as tropical fruit stands? nice horizontal spray, btw.
I had the same problem, but had a good paying job. Also had a per diem and reimbursement check deposited into another account every time I got off a trip. Wife knew about the per diem, and confiscated it. Didn't have a clue about the other which supplied a few firearms and lots of ammo.

Boy those days are over....... Stupid economy....

TheCracker
June 26, 2012, 12:54 AM

Haha. Them jokers are high! Actually both the pull ups and pineapple were from Sams, buying in bulk helps me shoot more!

45bthompson
June 26, 2012, 01:58 AM
Koi. 12 gauge slugs.

Saakee
June 26, 2012, 04:59 AM
It was by accident but i once shot off the wing of a dragonfly that landed on my target (Crossman Air Gun). Felt bad about it. I thought the shock had killed it but it flew off after a couple minutes.

Needles
June 27, 2012, 08:06 AM
Engine block from a Chevy S-10. Using an SKS carbine with Russian FMJ ammo at about 100 ft. (I think about that every time I see someone on TV or in a movie duck behind a couch in a gunfight.)

The-Reaver
June 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
A head of cabbage. 375 H&H Mag.

BlackAgnes
June 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
A friend wanted a 4-5" diameter tree in his yard taken down.

Took about 18 rounds of .45 Colt from my 7 1/2" Colt Single Action...

Tim

msmarshalll
June 28, 2012, 12:30 AM
The only power line to the ranch with a .308 at 100 yards by accident...my son or his friend, we are not quite sure who pulled the trigger, depends on which one tells the story

Steel Talon
June 28, 2012, 12:34 AM
Tannerite for the first time:what::D

gloucestergarand
June 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
Wasn't me, but at a tank range at Fort Knox in 1976, the M60A1 next to us indexed "HEP" and fired a 105mm "SABOT" round. Assume someone just south of Louisville found something interesting in their backyard!

King_John_I
June 29, 2012, 12:46 PM
a terrorist

S&W-Keeper
June 29, 2012, 07:59 PM
Me and several of my friends executed a clock radio for not going off at our hunting club some years back.We figured it was the thing to do.

camar
June 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
A night attack and I shot an NVA In the face and I never noticed his blood on me until the sweet sickening smell.

danburgess
June 30, 2012, 08:42 PM
Air soft to laptop screen playing around. Ruined it.
Used to have indoor airsoft wars where I would take on my son's army of friends.
Used cheap auto low velocity pistols. Took days to pick up all the bb's.

paintballdude902
June 30, 2012, 09:08 PM
cut a hole in a dead pine and filled it with tanerite...... blew tree over

or maybe my first 105mm at work

The_Armed_Therapist
July 1, 2012, 12:51 PM
The hood of my car. It was an older car I didn't care too much about, but didn't intend on shooting it. I was using the hood as a "rest" out in the desert. When I was done, I noticed a large gaping hole in the hood. I guess I just got too close. :o ... It was like that for about another year before the car was totaled... So it didn't really hurt the value or anything. HAHA

Ruddie
July 1, 2012, 01:21 PM
Baseboard of my house.... Buddy of mine had a junk AR that wasn't ejecting rounds properly... Damn thing slam fired in my house.

langenc
July 1, 2012, 01:24 PM
A local range has had a lot of the stuff mentioned shot there and most of it left for someone else to clean up--yuk.

Propane cans, TVs, competers, printers. I wonder what those shooters living room looks like after a nights TV watching??

Trent
July 1, 2012, 11:32 PM
My protest against crappy service from HughesNet.

https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/260528_222853461078925_2881435_n.jpg

FIVETWOSEVEN
July 2, 2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks for bumping my memory... I now remember something else a bit more pleasant... Hornet's nest with a 12-gauge shotgun with bird shot... You would think that will all those pellets that there wouldn't be many hornets left... You would be wrong though... I just wish my old bones could still run that fast.

Get a Saiga 12 and do a mag dump into it. Problem solved ;)

Nauga
July 2, 2012, 02:11 AM
I shot a hole in my buddy's pantleg with a blank during honor guard training. He made me take him to the tiddy bar for it.
The next morning we woke up too late to make a downrange movement. Article 15 and 2 weeks KP.
We got to go back to garrison every couple of days to take showers though, because the cooks didn't like us stinking up the mess tent. Got to sleep overnight in a real bed instead of a dusty fartsack.
I started a little sideline, delivering booze at +50 percent to my fellow degenerates to make up for the $419 I forfeited. Made a lot of money.
My buddy introduced me to a girlfriend of his girlfriend one night after showers. She was REAL FRIENDLY.
It turned out to be one of my better shots.

Trent
July 3, 2012, 11:53 AM
^^ awesome story dude!! Brought a smile to my face.

Thanks for sharing! (And serving!)

hemiram
July 3, 2012, 11:36 PM
I shot an old clock that a friend got for repair at his jewelry store. They never picked it up, and so he decided to take it out to a local range and we would blow it away. He shot the first round at it from my Dan Wesson Model 15-2. We were using 125gr SJHP's and he hit it just under the "12", and other than putting a 1/2" or so hole in it, nothing happened. I shot next, aiming for the dead center of the clock face. I hit it about 2" below it, and for about a second, nothing happened, and then the huge mainspring literally exploded and tore the whole clock apart. We just stood there and laughed.

Hunter125
July 5, 2012, 11:52 PM
I used to put half empty aerosol cans over a small fire, wait a minute or so, and shoot them with a pellet gun. Nice big fire balls. Best one though, was a can of shaving cream. No fire ball, but there was shaving cream all over in about a 20 ft radius.
Just recently I shot a clay pigeon (stationary) with a .357 Mag and took a perfect circle out of the center. Also hit one in the air with a .357 shotshell I was using for pest control. That was pretty satisfying. Both with a GP 100.

claimbuster
July 6, 2012, 07:14 AM
Two walls of the shower in the master bedroom.

jlewis406
July 6, 2012, 03:45 PM
Blew a VW bug sized rock in half with a .50cal from a HH-60 using party mix ammo (1 dim tracer, 1 AP, 1 MK211Mod0, repeat). Took about a 5 second burst from 50AGL but it was pretty bad ass. Shooting a bundle of chem sticks with a mini-gun is pretty fun too.

Ruddie
October 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
.... Panasonic Toughbook.... Mosin Nagant... The metal case didnt make it.

Ignorance=Job security

Sheepdog1968
October 12, 2012, 02:15 PM
At my next tech refresh at work for a new cell phone, if I get to keep the old BlackBerry as is likely the case, I plan to remove the battery and put a round through the Blackberry. I loved my older blackberry (and used it way past it's practical date - was on third battery, screen was cracked in half for a year from one too many drops, finally the keys were starting to no work) but this one has just been a pain since day one. I even had them give me a second one of this model as I thought the first one was defective. Nope. Just doesn't work as well as it should in terms of sluggish software, ect.

Sharps-shooter
October 12, 2012, 02:50 PM
Another bullet.

siglite
October 12, 2012, 02:58 PM
Buddy of mine had been saving an HP networking switch for a spectacular doom. We share a hatred of HP networking gear. When I found out he had this, a plan was devised.

A week or so later, this switch is now packed with 5lbs of tannerite at the 300yd line. Four or five hits with the .50BMG had failed to set it off. Disappointed, we moved on to shooting other stuff. You know, like targets. Meanwhile, a third friend sat there patiently plinking away at the HP switch with an AR. Every now and then, I'd watch him add .22 holes in the switch casing peppered all around the half inch holes we'd added with the fiddygun. Then I got bored, and forgot about it.

At some point, I think while I was ringing steel with my '14, the whole 300yd line blew up. I guess one of those .223 rounds got lucky, setting off all five pounds, and sending switch parts (I found the serial number plate) nearly all the way back to the shooting bench.

Half hour later, a deputy rolls out onto the range. "Crap. This is going to suck," I think. He walks up.

"What uh... what you boy's shooting out here? We're getting complaints that you're rattling windows in town."

I simply point at the 35lb rifle laying on it's bipod, hoping to distract from the tannerite, and say, "Probably that thing."

"What is that?"

My buddy, without skipping a beat holds up a .50 cartridge, and with the biggest used-car-salesman grin on his face says, ".50 BMG, wanna shoot it?"

The deputy grinned from ear to ear, and I knew instantly that we were in no trouble for blowing up a switch.

A friend of mine heard him bragging to the cute clerk in a convenience store the next day about "the coolest call of his career where these crazy gun nuts let him shoot a 50BMG."

rduchateau2954
October 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
Buddy of mine had been saving an HP networking switch for a spectacular doom. We share a hatred of HP networking gear. When I found out he had this, a plan was devised.

A week or so later, this switch is now packed with 5lbs of tannerite at the 300yd line. Four or five hits with the .50BMG had failed to set it off. Disappointed, we moved on to shooting other stuff. You know, like targets. Meanwhile, a third friend sat there patiently plinking away at the HP switch with an AR. Every now and then, I'd watch him add .22 holes in the switch casing peppered all around the half inch holes we'd added with the fiddygun. Then I got bored, and forgot about it.

At some point, I think while I was ringing steel with my '14, the whole 300yd line blew up. I guess one of those .223 rounds got lucky, setting off all five pounds, and sending switch parts (I found the serial number plate) nearly all the way back to the shooting bench.

Half hour later, a deputy rolls out onto the range. "Crap. This is going to suck," I think. He walks up.

"What uh... what you boy's shooting out here? We're getting complaints that you're rattling windows in town."

I simply point at the 35lb rifle laying on it's bipod, hoping to distract from the tannerite, and say, "Probably that thing."

"What is that?"

My buddy, without skipping a beat holds up a .50 cartridge, and with the biggest used-car-salesman grin on his face says, ".50 BMG, wanna shoot it?"

The deputy grinned from ear to ear, and I knew instantly that we were in no trouble for blowing up a switch.

A friend of mine heard him bragging to the cute clerk in a convenience store the next day about "the coolest call of his career where these crazy gun nuts let him shoot a 50BMG."
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o264/rduchateau2954/Forum/winning-tshirt.jpg

230RN
October 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
Humdrum but memorable --a one gallon milk bottle full of water.

I was showing some folks what happens when you shoot something, just to impress them with the danger.

Set it up in front of an 18" rock, had everybody step back to what I figured was a safe distance, 20 yards more or less, and shot it with a .30-06. After all, what better cartridge to impress people with sheer raw power with than the .30-06?

"Cover your ears, kids!"

Blew it to smithereens... and the rock behind it, too.
The water cloud was about ten feet in diameter, and some of it rained back on us. The rock had split into dozens of pieces.

They all remember that. Including me, 'cause I didn't expect all that splashback. Memorable.

If there's ever another demonstration like this, I'll have everyone step back a few more yards.

AWorthyOpponent
October 14, 2012, 10:50 PM
One of the local ranges set up a a gutted car for you to shoot from (for training). One day, before scrapping it (it was well used and abused) for a replacement, they moved it to a safe distance, and let members see real world bullet penetration. Once the demonstration was over, they let members go hog wild...

Prob the most memorable trip to the range.

Batty67
October 15, 2012, 09:09 AM
Not very exciting, but knocking down bowling pins with my FBI buddy's MP 5 in 10 mm. It was comical how easy it was to hit those pins. Had a 2-round burst that was a hoot to shoot (so to speak).

Ian
October 15, 2012, 11:23 AM
My most memorable was when I bounced a bullet off a Russian SG43 mount's armor shield and into a fluorescent light fixture. It wasn't intentional. :uhoh:

guyfromohio
October 15, 2012, 11:26 AM
A quarter at 100 yrds. Well, maybe it was 30 feet.

Clayton86
October 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
I'll try to get my nephew to send the pic but heres the story

My nephew got a Savage Edge in .223 came with a bushnell scope and he was feeding it silver bear HP ammo. We were out sighting it in well he was I came towards the end but he had the gun vice out was shooting threw that said he had it good he then took it out and started shooting it standing and making adjustments. I asked him what the hell he was doing if it was good and he said " I dont shoot from the vice so im re zeroing it to me standing how most my shots are" I called him a few names and took the gun from him locked it back in the vice and re zero'd it explaining that this way if he misses its not the gun its him. He didnt belive me that it would still have the same POI out of the vice. So after a few shots I got it "in" I grabbed a spent casing and walked down to the target put a fresh piece of cardboard up and jammed the case into it primer facing us. I walked back took it out of the vice and bet him I could hit the case he took the bet saying it would be "off" I got down in the prone no support double checked with him that we had it 1" high at 100yds he said yep and I let it fly. We walked down to find the case with a round impacting right center of the primer coming up putting a dent in the case and exiting the neck like it was a loaded round!! I handed him his rifle and told him if he ever touches the scope I will slap him into next week. He has only ever missed 1 shot with it that was at night on a coyote in some brush just past the horse pasture. Other then the coyote hes probably killed close to 30 ground hogs and countless crow and squirrels with it over the last year and a half.

I now by the way am requested to sight all his rifles in lol. I'v shot a few coins with the 17hmr but putting a .223 round threw a .223 case at 100yds is probably my most memorable shots I'll see if he still has the pic if not i'll see if he will take a new one he still has the case on his gun rack last I knew.

ghoster
October 15, 2012, 02:54 PM
when I was a kid me and my buddies were shooting up the creek when a crow came squaking out of the woods ----- of course I had my 22 pistol on my hip as any self respecting gunslinger would --- quick draw and shot from the hip with the clasical hand fan to the hammer --- dropped right out of the sky.:p

Forty years later I'm still the ultimate shooter to my city bred friends that didn't see it for the fluke it was.:evil:

bigfatdave
October 16, 2012, 04:46 AM
Not very exciting, but knocking down bowling pins with my FBI buddy's MP 5 in 10 mm. It was comical how easy it was to hit those pins.I'm revising my earlier answer (or at least adding to it) now that this reminded me about pins

the most memorable thing I've shot (that wasn't stupid or dangerous) was the time I got 5 pins in 5 shots and actually had a good time at a match
it instantly hooked me on shooting competition

r1derbike
October 16, 2012, 11:52 AM
One cubic foot of ice. I was 8, shot it with a 12 ga. pump shotgun. My dad (rest in peace) was wanting to buy, and for some reason he wanted me to test it. He was left for dead in the Phillipines when shrapnel from a morter round ripped through his skull in back left to right, but he flinched in a row of dead bodies, and a paramedic came to the rescue. I won't go into the rage/anger psychological problems he had after the injury; that was then, this is now. I understood his angst. He said not a word. Just looked where the ice block was, and stared...for minutes it seemed. It was like he was in a trance.

We left after that, and somehow, I knew that event traumatized him and brought back horrid memories, so I said not a word. His eyes were glassed-over as we drove back to the Western Auto so he could give one of the owners (his shotgun) 20 bucks for it. I wound-up blueing it for him and gave the stock a once over with linseed oil for the bare parts.

I never remember him taking it out hunting (he was against killing anything), and one day it was just gone.

Oh! He was training to become a fighter pilot, and all the new flyboys were yanked to the phillipines...just tragic.

He died by his own hands. I still don't fully understand his medical/mental issues when I was growing-up. All I know was seeing his mangled legs and back of head scars, and wondered how someone could survive that. Enough of the soap-box. I'm sure many here have stories more gruesome than that, and war is hell.

r1derbike
October 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
@Jlewis406; Chem-sticks! Thanks for the idea! I have a .22 Benjamin Marauder pre-charged pneumatic rifle with a huge scope for long distance (100 yards or better, remember it is an air rifle) and I'd love to shoot some of those stuck in the ground, or hung from tree limbs in the woods surrounding my home. I do have a very powerful spotlight slung under the rifle. Its range is about 400 yards, incredible. Again, thanks for the idea! The thing weighs over 12 pounds, so it is strictly a rested gun. Unless you're Paul Bunyon. You may see the path of the pellet to target, if you recover from a blinding flash of light as the light below reflects off the pellet skirt at some point.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/r1derbike/Airguns/BenjaminMarauder.jpg

timhernandez
October 17, 2012, 01:24 PM
Not me, but my partner... One night, he shot Michael Jordan.

There was a house on our list of properties to keep an eye on in our mostly rural County. A nasty divorce and some threats were made,etc.

We get a call of a silent alarm at the house and race over, already starting to amp up.

The lady, and her son are outside in the car, locked up and ready to flee at the slightest anything.

No, they didnt trip it. No, they dont know why, blah blah blah.

We call it in and head in to sweep the house. As there were only 4 people on duty for the whole County, we knew it was just us to check this whole place.

We start going room to room, checking and covering each other, switching off, all by the book.

We get to one bedroom on the 2nd floor, partner opens the door and yells "Sheriffs' Dept.!!! show me your hands" I start to move to cover him when I hear BLAM BLAM...

I see him take a few steps back into the hall, shoulders slumping, pistol at his side... think "!@##$%%$^&%^&*" I body check him from the door, down the hall and turn to see what is coming/checking him for wounds/grabbing for the radio/and a million other things.

He shrugs me off, saying "@#$%^$ I #$#$ed up!" He then gets on the radio and calls for the Supervisor, asking him to come to our location.

Going into the room, I see a full size cut out Michael Jordan standing silhouetted against the window. With the lights on, very benign but, in the dark, looked like a person standing there.

Supervisor gets there, gets the story, chews him up some, makes nice with the family, promising to get the window and wall fixed where the rounds landed.

Partner gets some desk time, a letter in his file, and about 6 months of hell for shooting 'at' Michael Jordan.

Yes, at... he missed with both shots from less than 15ft.

Kyle M.
October 17, 2012, 01:49 PM
I put a 300gr. Hornady soft point through a watermelon from 50 yards with my .375 H&H. That was about a month ago and I think theres still watermelon in the trees.

siglite
October 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
Not me, but my partner... One night, he shot Michael Jordan.

There was a house on our list of properties to keep an eye on in our mostly rural County. A nasty divorce and some threats were made,etc.

We get a call of a silent alarm at the house and race over, already starting to amp up.

The lady, and her son are outside in the car, locked up and ready to flee at the slightest anything.

No, they didnt trip it. No, they dont know why, blah blah blah.

We call it in and head in to sweep the house. As there were only 4 people on duty for the whole County, we knew it was just us to check this whole place.

We start going room to room, checking and covering each other, switching off, all by the book.

We get to one bedroom on the 2nd floor, partner opens the door and yells "Sheriffs' Dept.!!! show me your hands" I start to move to cover him when I hear BLAM BLAM...

I see him take a few steps back into the hall, shoulders slumping, pistol at his side... think "!@##$%%$^&%^&*" I body check him from the door, down the hall and turn to see what is coming/checking him for wounds/grabbing for the radio/and a million other things.

He shrugs me off, saying "@#$%^$ I #$#$ed up!" He then gets on the radio and calls for the Supervisor, asking him to come to our location.

Going into the room, I see a full size cut out Michael Jordan standing silhouetted against the window. With the lights on, very benign but, in the dark, looked like a person standing there.

Supervisor gets there, gets the story, chews him up some, makes nice with the family, promising to get the window and wall fixed where the rounds landed.

Partner gets some desk time, a letter in his file, and about 6 months of hell for shooting 'at' Michael Jordan.

Yes, at... he missed with both shots from less than 15ft.
Oh god... BTDT. I came home one day and opened the door like any other day. The first thing my mind registers is "stranger!" The second thing my mind registers is "GUN!" And that's how I drew down on a full-size cut-out of Anjelina Jolie from Tomb Raider that my (ex)wife had for some unfathomable reason, placed in the living room.

I'm standing there peering over my sights and backing pressure OFF the trigger and out of the corner of my eye I see her head sticking around the corner of the kitchen all "***???"

She laughed for an hour straight.

DonP
October 17, 2012, 05:00 PM
Our group collects old plastic Christmas decorations, big plastic Santa Claus, plastic wise men, Rudolph with a red light for a nose, plastic gingerbread men etc. all year. We usually have an old remote control car or two etc.

Then we go out to a local plinking range in an old quarry and have at them.

Last year we were winding things up when two guys next to us came over and asked me; "Do you mind if we shot your wise men with our BAR?"

We told him go right ahead. But I recalled that this was a phrase I never thought I'd hear anyone say out loud.

Grassman
October 17, 2012, 06:47 PM
An intruder....

Phantom Captain
October 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
Great thread, totally entertaining to read.

I have a few...

We used to try to shoot the eyes out of dragonflies with our BB guns as kids as they perched on flowers and weeds. Successful a few times but ranges were really close.

I shot straight through a quarter at 50 yards with my 03 Springfield with iron sights about 10 years ago. I kept that quarter forever but don't know where I've misplaced it. Definitely one of my favs. :cool:

Last fall I was at my buddies and we stuffed a jar of tannerite into an old lawn mower right under the motor. Hit that jar with a Savage .223 on the first shot and watched it bounce about 4 feet straight up into the air. Good times. Going to hang out with him next week and I'm sure there will be more of the same shenanigans. :D

Trunk Monkey
October 19, 2012, 08:35 PM
When I was 21 (87) my roommate put a round right through my ass Hopefully he still remembers

HOWARD J
October 20, 2012, 04:40 AM
Many years ago I was in the TV room & just finished cleaning a K98K & was jacking hunting cartridges out of the weapon when I hit the trigger (#$%##@^%$$#@)
& the bullet went thru the wall into the living room --thru a heavy padded chair--thru the front closet door---hit the back of a 1/4" mirror on the door--bounced off the mirror & went back thru the door & thru the wall & thru the brick outside the house & went ????
That's when I discovered how strong glass is----mother & dad were out of town--I repaired all the damage & glued the cracked piece of mirror together---mothet & dad never found out what happened.
Good thing dad never found out--he was in WW! & WW2--he did not like guns

Centurian22
October 20, 2012, 04:50 AM
Jacking hunting cartridges out of the gun AFTER finishing cleaning it? Am I hearing / understanding this correctly? Sounds like a major failure of the first step in cleaning (or doing anything with a firearm other than shooting it). You were very lucky that walls apolstery and doors were all that needed repairing.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the most memorable THING you've ever put a bullet through." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!