Ruger Standard Bolt Reassembly Snag

PDA

CAF51
April 7, 2012, 04:07 AM
During a range day with my ancient 1950 Ruger Standard, I was having a lot of FTEs and stovepipes. With some apprehension I attempted my first full dissassembly of the bolt. Now I am stuck with the worlds most frustrating jigsaw puzzle. The firing pin and associates are straightforward, but the recoil spring is a different animal. It's not a captured spring (and may never have been).

How in the heck do I hold on to a tiny spring plate (or the whole assembly for that matter), while leaving enough room to put it in the slot?

Here's a picture of this debacle for you visual people.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78573995@N05/7052905207/

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Standard Bolt Reassembly Snag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bigfatdave
April 7, 2012, 04:43 AM
mkII and mkIII recoil springs ARE captive, the rod is crushed so the plate won't come off. I'd bet that your recoil guide rod was at one point attached in a (obviously semi) permanent fashion.

I don't know if there is a trick to it simpler than calling Ruger and asking for a mkIII recoil assembly, chances are they'd send it to you cheap or free, assuming it is compatible. They might have a remaining stock of mkI rods if the newer ones aren't compatible.

rcmodel
April 7, 2012, 12:41 PM
+1
They have always been captive since the first Ruger standard was made..

Yours has escaped!

I would call Ruger, but I'm not 100% sure a MKIII rod is the same as one made when yours was. They should know though.

rc

CAF51
April 7, 2012, 06:18 PM
After some serous finagling I got the original recoil spring back in place, but will definitely be doing some follow up work with Ruger for a replacement piece (and maybe a new plinking pistol after realizing how scarce mine is.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger Standard Bolt Reassembly Snag" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!