Need your advice on something

PDA

Pfhorrest
April 7, 2012, 10:47 AM
At the moment I don't own any guns, and that won't change for at least a couple of years. Around where I live the crime rate is quite low, but it always pays to be ready. I do have a Horton Eagle youth crossbow with a 25-pound string, and I use arrows with small broadhead tips. Any thoughts on how effective this might be in a home defence situation? I can hit a 1-inch target from 15 yards, so I think I'll be able to make a single shot accurately if the time came.

Forrest

If you enjoyed reading about "Need your advice on something" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Tipro
April 7, 2012, 10:50 AM
Here's an old thread I found on that very subject.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=358789

buck460XVR
April 7, 2012, 11:06 AM
The effectiveness of a 25# crossbow would be very iffy, even with a good hit. Better than nuttin? Probably. Better than a baseball bat? Probably not. JMHO.

Sky
April 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
The bad guy is libel to pull the arrow shaft out and cram it up your ..."nose" and then really mess your day or night up.

Broad head arrows function to make the prey bleed out.

Suppose a cranial shot with deep penetration might stop the BG or by the fact that he has something foreign sticking out of his body may make him run away; however, there have been construction workers survive after surprisingly large tools and objects fall from a height and pierce the cranial cavity and still survive. Let us know how it works out......I would rather have the crossbow than nothing, but ....who knows.

Defending your house will sometimes require a close and continuous relationship with the bad guy even if 'you' the the defender has a firearm.. Hopefully none of us will ever have to experience the act and the resulting after action report.

If you enjoyed reading about "Need your advice on something" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!