People trying to "look cool" with their setups?

PDA

newbie4help
April 8, 2012, 04:12 PM
I notice this a lot when I go to the range. People with no real marksmanship skill or military experience shooting expensive guns with all kinds of cool-looking accessories. Example: I recently saw a group of guys with a desert-camo AR with holo sights, foregrips, collapsible stock, the works. These guys were clearly not military/police. Would not surprise me if that entire rig was over $1500. They could easily have bought an AK or SKS, or even just used a good .22 or a hunting rifle. And ditch the useless optics!

If they just wanted to shoot for fun they could do so at about a tenth the total cost and have the same or better experience.

I also see people at the store buying these extremely expensive, military grade optics. What for? Just buy a 1.5x zoom scope! Or use the iron sights!

Am I wrong to kinda roll my eyes at these people? I should note these people are in the minority - most people are hunting types looking to practice or just people who enjoy the sport of shooting.

If you enjoyed reading about "People trying to "look cool" with their setups?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
wyohome
April 8, 2012, 04:18 PM
You are wrong and should feel bad. Hope that helps.

SimplyChad
April 8, 2012, 04:19 PM
The Idiotus Recreationus commonly referred to as the mall ninja or range ninja is commonly found at social gathering places of shooters and non shooters alike. They come equipped with a tacitcool thigh holster and some sort of black rifle. They believe that they can buy skills. I actually like them. :) more money into the firearm community

whanson_wi
April 8, 2012, 04:20 PM
To them, maybe the very appearance is part of the shooting fun. It's their money, and they're harming no-one else, so I just don't look.

(I couldn't comment on their appearance anyway - according to my adult daughter, some of my style choices legally prohibit me from doing so.)

newbie4help
April 8, 2012, 04:21 PM
Is that sarcasm :-/

I'm not discounting people who are true collectors or super experienced shooters. But these are people who don't really look like they know much more than the 14 year old girl learning to shoot with her dad! Doesn't it make sense to start with a beginner setup until you really know what you're doing, rather than spending thousands of dollars to look like Jack Bauer?

I guess it's kind of like a ferrari. Yes, for some people it's credible. But so many people driving ferraris aren't car collectors, and are just compensating for something and trying to look awesome, without really having the skill to back it up.

MistWolf
April 8, 2012, 04:22 PM
Some folks just like to have the cool stuff.

It's easy to go over $1500 on an AR. As it sits here, I have about that much invested in my carbine and it's almost as simple as you get
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/CarbineSurefire003.jpg

bluethunder1962
I know I am messed up in the head but I enjoy my guns at home just looking at them and holding them just as much as shooting them. I know what you mean though. I do buy guns on looks and feel first.

Old krow
If they just wanted to shoot for fun they could do so at about a tenth the total cost and have the same or a better experience.

Am I wrong to kinda roll my eyes at these people?

Yes, probably. As long as they're not being unsafe I really don't see an issue. By that line of logic we should all drink wine out of Dixie cups. :)

Ragnar Danneskjold
April 8, 2012, 04:23 PM
You are wrong for rolling your eyes. No one tells you what kind of fun is approved for you to have and what isn't. You're wrong for thinking that you can judge others for what they find fun. Their experience or ability is irrelevant. In the United States, "because I felt like it" is all the reason anyone needs. And it's a good enough reason for you too. Enjoy your fun, let them enjoy theirs. Keep those eyes on your front sight and not on other's guns. You'll shoot better.

joeq
April 8, 2012, 04:23 PM
Why do you care what others spend their money on? Maybe they bought exactly what they wanted.

N.Schafer
April 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
So people are spending their money on what they want to do and not what you want?

So whats the problem?

Nushif
April 8, 2012, 04:28 PM

Pretty much. Or at least you're being passive aggressive.

stumpers
April 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
Who are YOU to judge? What's on your ORB or ERB or DD214?

It seems there is too much eye rolling from people on this forum, especially since this forum is in the spirit of taking the high road and not badgering others who share the same basic enjoyment of firearms.

It's none of anyone's business how I shoot as long as I am not a danger to them. Jeans and T-shirt or full kit with helmet and drop leg - who cares?

Deus Machina
April 8, 2012, 04:33 PM
As a machinist, tinker, and old fan of Legos, a good bit of the fun is in assembling the thing.

You're free to roll your eyes, but I'm free to put on whatever I feel like for one of two purposes: 1) It's useful or 2) it makes me laugh.

If they can't make use of something and can't giggle about it, it's their personal problem. Roll your eyes where they can't see and leave them to it.

maskedman504
April 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
You are wrong.

Ragnar Danneskjold
April 8, 2012, 04:36 PM
Stumpers, I'm stealing that for my signature. Well said.

stumpers
April 8, 2012, 04:38 PM
Haha...wait, which part?

edit: I just saw the answer. Thanks!

1911Tuner
April 8, 2012, 04:41 PM
I gotta admit that I do chuckle a bit whenever I encounter one...but they chuckle at me over my Model 94s and bolt rifles and no-frills 1911s and my revolvers...so I guess we're even.

Suum cuique and all that.

X-Rap
April 8, 2012, 04:42 PM
Putting a quality sighting system on an AR is no different than putting one on a good hunting rifle or good tires on your truck.
At some time we all learn to shop around and then try to get just a little better than we can afford. I am rarely disappointed with purchases this way, if some of that is "military quality" then so be it, the last dozen yrs have proven the worth of a lot of equipment in the shooting and outdoor arena.

texgunner
April 8, 2012, 04:52 PM
It's their time and money. They can spend it as they like.,

jerrard
April 8, 2012, 05:01 PM
Gee, I hope you don't see me, I have a Hi-Point carbine full of bling.
Your eyes would probably roll out of their socket.

buck460XVR
April 8, 2012, 05:09 PM
Would you rather they all dress exactly like you and shoot the exact same guns, while talking and walking just like you? (I'm rollin' my eyes)

Odds are if a 22 year old hot female hardbody wearin' nuttin' else but a coupla tactical thigh holsters and a bandolier walked onto the range carrying an AR with 19 gadgets on the rails you'd have no complaints at all. Am I right?

Flintknapper
April 8, 2012, 05:13 PM

Yup!

But..its your privilege...just as it is theirs to outfit themselves as they see fit.

We don't have to be practical in the United States (thank goodness) just legal.

tekarra
April 8, 2012, 05:17 PM
It is their money and their choice so let them get on with it.

thecarfarmer
April 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
I think it's human nature to think choices we wouldn't make are silly.

I have a Sportster I ride all year. The fork sliders are pitted from road salt; the bike's always dirty, and the chrome is spotted. I kinda' roll my eyes a little at the guys who have garage queens but no all-weather riders; I'm sure a number of Harley guys wish I'd have just bought a Honda, and left a Harley to someone with more sense than to ride it in the rain!

End of the day: my bike was advertised for sale; anybody who doesn't like what I do with it should have bought it. It's mine to use as I see fit - even if that means painting it pink, and covering it with "My Little Pony" stickers.

I personally have no interest in "tacticool" stuff. Just not my style. But I ain't gonna' scoff at anybody... It's not like I had to pay for their toys, and I'm honestly just too self-absorbed to care.

Personally, I think it's great that everybody wants 22/15's, SR-15's, and Mossberg 500 and Remington 870's with all the 'bling'. That'll leave me the 22LR plinkers and 12GA pumps that nobody wants, because of their wood furniture, iron sights, and blued steel!

-Bill

Red Cent
April 8, 2012, 05:32 PM
Now I am going to be paranoid when I break out the Stag M3 with the Eotech, the Levang compensator, 2 pont sling, quad rails, and the fore end grip.

Oh well, after over 50 years of guns, I'm entitled. :neener:

dragon813gt
April 8, 2012, 05:40 PM
Who cares what others are shooting? The only time I care is if someone pulls out a Barrett or a .500 S&W. I only care because I don't want to be near the line when they fire them.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 8, 2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.ar-10-rifles.com/home_img/Extreme_Range_2.gif

So in YOUR eyes I was wrong spending MY hard earned money on my AR 10 7mm.08 for hog hunting? Just because it cost more than what YOU can afford? That's how you are coming across to me there OP. I've busted my ass for well over 30 years getting to my comfortable place economically and quite frankly, I couldn't give a tinkers damn what you or anyone else may think about how I spend MY hard earned income. If I choose to go spend $3000 for my hog rig (and it damn near was with my scope and light) and will be OVER $5000 once I decide on my night optics. And this will REALLY make your eyes roll OP, I'm going to go spend ANOTHER $2000 on an AR 15 in 6.8spc for heavy brush hunting! The AR platform is light, maneuverable, lighter recoiling for faster followups, dependable, and most of all ACCURATE. It aint just .223 anymore either. For my brush gun, I was having a problem deciding between the .458 SOCOM and the 6.8spc. Finally decided I can do well with the 6.8spc and not have recoil issues while still having enough ass to drop any hog on the planet within 150 yards and the lighter recoiling 6.8spc will allow me to get on multiple hogs if I run across a sounder.

Maybe, just maybe, some of those guys you see at the range are just like me. They are getting rigs set up that will help them in whatever quarry they are hunting in the field. The AR platform isn't just military now. A LOT of us regular guys are falling for them in the hunting world. And they are still a VERY good choice for a home defense weapon. Now granted there are the "mall ninjas" out there that don't know their butts from a hole in the ground, but even so, it's not a damn bit of your business. It's a wonderful country we live in. They have the right to spend their money on ANY weapon they so choose. As long as they are being safe, it's not a damn bit of your business. So take your petty jealousy and swallow it.

TanklessPro
April 8, 2012, 05:47 PM
Has anyone ever noticed that the only shooters that are called out for what they wear are the "tacticools" . Nobody is ever critical of the cowboy shooters.
I'm not a cowboy shooter, but do love what they do.

EddieNFL
April 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
I guess it's kind of like a ferrari. Yes, for some people it's credible. But so many people driving ferraris aren't car collectors, and are just compensating for something and trying to look awesome, without really having the skill to back it up.

I agree. If a person cannot shoot master/high master XTC, he should not own an AR; if a person cannot shoot the IDPA classifer at expert/master, he should not own a handgun (I suppose we should restrict ownership to military/LE); if a person cannot rebuild a small block, he should not owns tools. (yes, it's sarcasm).

I guess I'm not real concerned with how others spend money.

Betcha really hate cowboy action shooting.

IMTHDUKE
April 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
So people are spending their money on what they want to do and not what you want?

So whats the problem?

Yep, that's the way life works....your mother never told you this?

Twmaster
April 8, 2012, 06:16 PM
Wow. Haters gotta hate.

Walkalong
April 8, 2012, 06:17 PM
It's a free country (for now), so we are all free to fetter away our money and have fun any way we want to.

The gun crowd needs to find common ground, stick together, and remember who to stand and fight against, instead of making fun of each other on how we enjoy the shooting sports.

Heck, they might have been having more fun than you were. :)

David E
April 8, 2012, 06:23 PM

Why should you care?

As long as they are safe, more people buying guns and accessories is a GOOD thing.

Eric M
April 8, 2012, 06:30 PM
OP you sound like a certain someone telling someone what they do and do not need...Just because you don't want those things doesn't mean someone else can't. I don't NEED an AR-15 with an M203 heatshield and M203 replica...but I want one.

knoxy
April 8, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'd rather hang with folks having a good time with their guns than an eye-roller.

nwilliams
April 8, 2012, 06:33 PM
I agree tactical rifles and setups are ridiculous! Nobody needs a tactical setup unless they are active military or police. In fact I think the government should take action and ban all such tactical style weapons and setups just because it's silly and not necessary unless you are a solder or cop.

Here are a couple of my "proper rifles" with "proper optics" and over course I have no more than $500 invested in any of these, I wouldn't want to invest in pointless firearms and optics!

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/DanielDefenseM4-1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/FN%20SCAR/SCAR1-1.jpg

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb264/nwilliams27/Sig-556/sig556-8.jpg

JRH6856
April 8, 2012, 06:34 PM

No more than it is wrong for the rest of us to roll our eyes at you for doing so. :rolleyes:

Inebriated
April 8, 2012, 06:40 PM
You are in no position to judge how someone else uses their money. What does it matter to you, that they have a nice AR? Some people, myself included, like to have something a step up from "merely working".

Bojangles7
April 8, 2012, 06:46 PM

No.

NavyLCDR
April 8, 2012, 06:49 PM
Am I wrong to kinda roll my eyes at these people? I should note these people are in the minority - most people are hunting types looking to practice or just people who enjoy the sport of shooting.

No more than it is wrong for the rest of us to roll our eyes at you for doing so. :rolleyes:

Perfectly said! Sounds to me like the people he described are also "just people who enjoy the sport of shooting." They just enjoy a different aspect of it.

royal barnes
April 8, 2012, 06:51 PM
I don't care what others put on their rifles, shotguns, etc. In my area I just smile because I probably sold them the guns and all the goodies.

P.S. I've been a cowboy action shooter for about 16 years.:D

shootniron
April 8, 2012, 06:56 PM
I think you are wrong.

These guys have just as much right to buy the equipment that they want as you do to buy the equipment that you want. Or, in other words, mind your own business.

Brockak47
April 8, 2012, 06:58 PM
sounds like you are jealous.

but ya you are wrong

Plan2Live
April 8, 2012, 07:03 PM
Think about it this way, we deal with "them" daily and not just on the range. What about the boy racer wannabes with their silly sounding exhausts and still clocking zero to 60 in over 10 seconds, or the off road jocks with their new trucks all jacked up sportin' thousands of dollars in aftermarket parts? Most of those trucks have never even seen a mud puddle. Or how about at the gym? Overly tight t-shirts or spaghetti strap tank tops slamming weights around and guzzling half liter sized energy drinks? Or maybe in the tech crowd. They have the latest and greatest what-ever and can't load simple programs. Or the overweight bicyclist in the Tour de'France racing tights? I could go on and on. Personally, I like seeing "those" types out there. They just make me look gooood!

Bojangles7
April 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
I think you are wrong.

These guys have just as much right to buy the equipment that they want as you do to buy the equipment that you want. Or, in other words, mind your own business.

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt71/Pittsburghistan/omg.gif

And he has the right to roll his eyes at them. I'm sure none of you have ever rolled your eyes at the way people dress or conduct themselves in public. :rolleyes: What's the difference?

Justin
April 8, 2012, 07:06 PM
I notice this a lot when I go to the range. People with no real marksmanship skill or military experience shooting expensive guns with all kinds of cool-looking accessories. Example: I recently saw a group of guys with a desert-camo AR with holo sights, foregrips, collapsible stock, the works. These guys were clearly not military/police. Would not surprise me if that entire rig was over $1500. They could easily have bought an AK or SKS, or even just used a good .22 or a hunting rifle. And ditch the useless optics!

If they just wanted to shoot for fun they could do so at about a tenth the total cost and have the same or better experience.

I also see people at the store buying these extremely expensive, military grade optics. What for? Just buy a 1.5x zoom scope! Or use the iron sights!

I'm always amused when duffers of one stripe get all huffy and judgemental about duffers of another stripe.

If you're so much better than them (and presumably have the trophies to prove it) instead of judging, perhaps you should be coaching.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk

cyclopsshooter
April 8, 2012, 07:07 PM
I wouldn't look cool no matter what gun I'm holding...

youngda9
April 8, 2012, 07:09 PM
LOL at the jealousy. Who are you to judge what they spend THEIR $$ on. So what if they have better firearms that you can afford(maybe) and can't shoot as well. That's their business to buy what they want and enjoy the hobby. They are working on their skills and supporting the industry that you love. People come in all shapes, sizes, abilities, financial abilities, etc.

We need less people with their nose in the air or planted in someone's butt...and more with the nose to the grindstone minding on their own business.

$0.02

wyohome
April 8, 2012, 07:09 PM
There is a guy in our county that has nearly covered his pickup in pieces of mirror. This project has cost him a great deal of time and money, not to mention years of bad luck. It is not something I would do, but if that is what he wants, so be it. I feel the same about making a rifle into a Swiss Army Knife...None of my business.

alman
April 8, 2012, 07:10 PM
The more different types of people that enjoy our sport , The more better .
Nice rigs nwilliams !

Inebriated
April 8, 2012, 07:14 PM
http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/tt71/Pittsburghistan/omg.gif

And he has the right to roll his eyes at them. I'm sure none of you have ever rolled your eyes at the way people dress or conduct themselves in public. :rolleyes:What's the difference?

That's where you're wrong... most of us DON'T roll our eyes at everyone who is into something else or has something we don't like. Most of us just don't care.

MuleRyder
April 8, 2012, 07:18 PM
To the OP, I'd rather hang out with those guys having a good time shooting than some eye rolling, holier than thou jerk like you. Who cares what other people spend their money on, maybe they think your choices are stupid. Mind your own business.

chucknbach
April 8, 2012, 07:20 PM
Ran into one of those guys a couple weeks ago with my son. He had a Colt AR with a bunch of fancy red dot optics on it.
When we were done shooting went over and talk to him. He enjoyed talking about his new purchase, The amount of money spent on it was more than most guns I own. My sons eyes were big:what: and he had drool coming out of his mouth. I said to my son "just like the commando from call of duty, huh?" The owner of the gun knew exactly, what I was talking about.
Judging by the guys enthusiasm and the big poo eating grin on his face:D I'd say it was worth every penny he spent on it.

Heaven forbid we start becoming elitist. Judging what gun or gun set up or experience level is required for gun ownership.

My personal belief is that it's every US citizen's duty to own and maintain a weapon of some kind. I'm going to use that argument on my wife when I get my AR.:evil:

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 8, 2012, 07:31 PM
My personal belief is that it's every US citizen's duty to own and maintain a weapon of some kind. I'm going to use that argument on my wife when I get my AR.

http://upload.theopenjam.net/pthumbs/large/161/laughing_smiley%5B1%5D.gif Good luck with that argument! It's well "tried", just don't know how "true"

Powerglide
April 8, 2012, 07:45 PM
I have a right to roll my eyes, or, a right not to roll my eyes.Either way, it's nobodys business. As far as making fun of somebody, just don't do it.Heck, they could laugh at fat woman you brought or the ugly truck you have.Not so funny then, huh?

dagger dog
April 8, 2012, 07:45 PM
The op would bust a gut at a SASS CAS match !

You can play ARMY,COPS and ROBBERS, COWBOYS and INDIANS anything you like and it's even more fun if you got the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !

Powerglide
April 8, 2012, 07:53 PM
The guy with mirrors would think he was normal!

Double Naught Spy
April 8, 2012, 08:08 PM

I think this is the first complaint I have ever seen about fellow gun owners looking too cool and that being described as a type of problem. Not only that, but the complaint is also about using gear that is of too good of a quality than the poster thinks other people should need at his range.

Sorry, but the OP reads like a post about a guy who is intimidated by folks with better gear and so he thinks they should not be using it or spending the money they spend because they aren't real professional gun folks who might have a real use for the equipment.

I just hope he doesn't complain when I show up with fancy store bought targets. The kids have outgrown their Crayons and won't make targets for me anymore and I just feel silly spending the afternon coloring my own targets before I got to the range. I don't want to look uncool either and store bought targets are where the cool really is.

TITAN308
April 8, 2012, 08:40 PM
1. You all got trolled.

2. OP can't get mom to buy him an AR-15

sugarmaker
April 8, 2012, 08:46 PM
The only time guys like that bother me is when they come to the range with lots of gear and zero knowledge of range safety. But then anyone who lets their guns swing across the firing line while hanging from a black nylon strap will get my attention.

brigadier
April 8, 2012, 08:47 PM

People like that are both annoying and scary. I have seen first hand what happens when trends like this go over the line.

I am all for goofing off with toys, but when it comes to real killing machines, they need to be respected and it appears that respect for firearms among young people is diminishing at the same rate the hobby is growing, if not faster.

The gun community is on allot of bandwagons right now that are headed for disaster. This is one of them. Try to talk some sense in to people like that and if they don't listen then keep your distance from them, both physically and socially.

Regarding fancy accessories on firearms, a good flashlight, "low tech" optic, bipod, adjustable furniture, recoil control system and quick reloading system are good to have. Much beyond that is a waste of money. I can't tell you how often I hear people going on about fancy laser sights, infrared and all that. My experience is that with handguns is that good ol iron sights is best for practical usage, a simple scope or iron sights with rifles. I saw a thing on some world leading combat training school who teaches pretty much the same thing, saying that they're always getting guys loaded down with all kinds of fancy accessories on their gun but end up leaving with just their iron sights attached.

FWIW, I have around $1700 in to my AR-15 and would have spent over $2000 had I paid retail for everything. But it cost that much because I researched everything and got the best product I could find for my intended purpose, though admittedly I am still working on it (will probably spend around $2500 after everything. I guess you can say a serious business AR-15 costs more but looks less fancy then your "goof-off" gun.

If your gun cost $2000 and looks nice but relatively straight-forward, you might actually know your stuff. If it cost $1500 and looks like a Robot, you're probably a wannabe.

Grmlin
April 8, 2012, 08:48 PM
Well OP I think you've got your answer.

Last time at I was at the range I had a young man (16-18) come up to me while I was sighting in my Tacti-cool M&P-15 with full rails, scope, laser, and light and started giving me a class on the weapon. I just smiled and nodded. He made a hasty retreat when a couple of my former Marines came up and called me by rank (although I'm retired). I felt bad, we invited him over to shoot with us and had a great time. He might have been over enthusiatic at first but he was very intelligent and a damn good shot. Not only did he learn but I learned from him as well.

The point: Don't judge a book by it's cover.

@dagger dog Now I have a picture of the Village people at the range.

Bubbles
April 8, 2012, 08:53 PM
I don't buy guns and accessories because they "look cool", I buy them to do a specific job. Some of them do look cool though.

Similarly, I didn't buy a classic Mustang convertible to "look cool", I bought it for other reasons... but it does make me look cool. :D

brigadier
April 8, 2012, 08:56 PM
I definitely keep appearance as a criteria for what guns I buy, but it's probably the very bottom criteria. Nothing wrong with wanting a good looking gun, so long as you don't do it at the cost of function. Everyone likes shooting a good looking gun at the range, but it's not worth loosing your life over in a real situation.

If you want some real artistic creativity, try building a gun that looks as good as possible while also working as good as possible. It's tricky and demands some creativity but it's doable.

Ranger30-06
April 8, 2012, 08:59 PM
When you pay the guy's bills, you can decide how he spends his hard earned cash!

Seriously, as long as he's safe and not breathing down your neck all afternoon or offering you completely bogus information, why should you care how he spends his spare change?

justin 561
April 8, 2012, 09:02 PM

Wait, they're at a range..Arent they practicing or were they just shutting both their eyes and pulling the trigger?

hso
April 8, 2012, 09:06 PM
Isn't shooting supposed to be fun?

Part of the fun is tarting up the rifle based on what you think is cool when you start out.

Evenatually your idea of "cool" changes to small groups or meat in the freezer and the tarted up rifle stays in the closet unless you're playing gun games with it.

RoboDuck
April 8, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have built a few rifles and added different sights , optics, handguards ect. Thats the neat thing about the AR platform. You might roll your eyes when I shoot my 10mm handloads and its the loudest gun at the range.

MEHavey
Had I been at the gunstore I might have suggested something else as a starter...
But if they are safe, responsible, and willing to learn,
they are welcome at my range.

Nagant
Not sure if OP is trolling or just an angry old miser. However, there are plenty of people with this attitude, I think... and it's not good for us as gun owners or for gun rights.

I enjoy my useful "tacticool" gear (which I DO know how to use, btw) as much as any other twenty-something dude. And I've safely introduced A LOT of my friends to firearms. And many of them have in turn become very enthusiastic about "tacticool" weapons, both because they enjoy shooting and because they want to be effective members of the civilian militia of the United States. There is nothing wrong with wanting a cool-looking gun. While I do admit that some people are just ridiculous and don't have the skills to match their equipment, it's no more appropriate or helpful for folks to tease and castigate the tacticool crowd than for me to criticize the elmer-fudd-looking old dudes who think that anything beyond a single-shot break-open shotgun is "overkill" who I see frowning at me and my fancy plastic guns at the range.

Ridiculousness...

hirundo82
April 8, 2012, 09:30 PM
I'm not discounting people who are true collectors or super experienced shooters. But these are people who don't really look like they know much more than the 14 year old girl learning to shoot with her dad! Doesn't it make sense to start with a beginner setup until you really know what you're doing, rather than spending thousands of dollars to look like Jack Bauer?

So basically until someone gains an amount of experience that you deem sufficient, they should stick with the guns you consider appropriate? What business of yours is it how they decide to spend their money?

wyohome
April 8, 2012, 09:36 PM
I like a bolt action rifle with reasonable accuracy. MOA is about as good as I can shoot so that is good enough. I hate plastic stocks, a nice wood stock is much better. There really is no need for any cartridge other than .308 Win, it will shoot well enough and kill anything that walks, with a smaller amount of powder. There are very expensive scopes on the market, a vari-x 2 is enough scope. Anyone who varies from these standards is wasting money and is wrong.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 8, 2012, 09:36 PM
And to the "But these are people who don't really look like they know much more than the 14 year old girl learning to shoot with her dad!" statement, when my daughter was 14, I would put her rifle skills up against damn near anyone. OP you seriously need to let go of your prejudiced thinking.

wyohome, you may want to put a little "sarcasm" dealy up there. WE know you were being sarcastic but others may not :D

youngda9
April 8, 2012, 09:37 PM
He's having fun

MYOB ( M I N D Y O U R O W N B I Z N E S S )

animator
April 8, 2012, 10:01 PM
I'm gonna have to be in the "to each their own" boat...

I don't care how people spend their money, but if there's one thing that'll set me off at the range, is someone dressed in the gear, carrying a sooper-tricked-out-tacticoolness rifle talk down upon my choice of a cheap low-end rifle.

You know the kind. The "if it ain't Daniel Defense or (insert bling AR manf. here) it's CRAP!" crowd.

I have a DPMS with a Model 1 upper on it. Less than $600 in that gun. But it's outshot many, many "top tier" AR-15s, all while being cheap low end crap... :D I'm OK with that.

I have a Stag carbine. Arfcommers might scoff at it because I only paid 600 for it (and got a free case with it as well) but I'll take my handloads with it and put it up against any other AR15 shooter at my local range on any given day.

SleazyRider
April 8, 2012, 10:09 PM
I wear white socks with black shoes. Tell me about "cool."

BUCKrub91
April 8, 2012, 10:13 PM
Op you are wrong to think like this imo...

For one being ex military has nothing to do with shooting skills... ive seen some people from every branch of the military shoot and a lot of them SUCK

And customizing ar's is fun which is why people do it.. has nothing to do with marksmanship skills or military experience

KodeFore
April 8, 2012, 10:20 PM
Yup you are wrong. Their freedom has nothing to do with your opinions

SARDiver
April 8, 2012, 10:23 PM
I agree. If a person cannot shoot master/high master XTC, he should not own an AR; if a person cannot shoot the IDPA classifer at expert/master, he should not own a handgun (I suppose we should restrict ownership to military/LE); if a person cannot rebuild a small block, he should not owns tools. (yes, it's sarcasm).

I guess I'm not real concerned with how others spend money.

Betcha really hate cowboy action shooting.

I really enjoyed your sarcasm. One of the things that jumped to mind immediately is how often people actually do jump to the conclusion that military/LEOs can shoot like experts. I know many LEOs and ex-military who couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat; who couldn't hit a Catholic if they fired at the Vatican; who couldn't hit ****e if the fired at a manure factory.

It cracks me up that because I turned down a commission in '95 that somehow I'm not supposed to have good optics on an AR. For what it's worth, I don't have anything more than iron sights, but I know many who shoot 3-gun who do use and need the better sights.

(I wish I'd gone ahead and commissioned. The class of 1995 made O-5 two years ago. Oh well.)

jad0110
April 8, 2012, 10:48 PM
I am all for goofing off with toys, but when it comes to real killing machines, they need to be respected and it appears that respect for firearms among young people is diminishing at the same rate the hobby is growing, if not faster.

Not sure what part of the country you are from, but in my parts the exact opposite is true. In my observations, most men and women in the 20s and 30s do a commendable job of following the 4 rules. OTH, the most flagrant violators are usuallly guys in their 50s and older. They just love to keep their finger on the trigger, with absolutely no muzzle discipline whatsover. The absolute worst offenders are the older gun store employees.

At least that is generally how it goes where I live.

twofifty
April 8, 2012, 11:06 PM
Avert your eyes.

aeriedad
April 8, 2012, 11:09 PM
OP, I'm with the majority here...more or less. I don't think you should "roll your eyes" at folks for overspending on a cool setup that is, in your opinion, beyond their skill or experience level. However, it doesn't bother me if you do so. You can feel however you want about such people and their gear. Whatever.

The point is, in America I can have whatever I want, so long as I can convince my wife that I need it. :o

Sauer Grapes
April 8, 2012, 11:12 PM
Odds are if a 22 year old hot female hardbody wearin' nuttin' else but a coupla tactical thigh holsters and a bandolier walked onto the range carrying an AR with 19 gadgets on the rails you'd have no complaints at all. Am I right?

PICS, WE NEED PICS!!! ;)

Hey, if that's what floats your boat, who am I to judge.

Skribs
April 8, 2012, 11:17 PM
I don't have much actual shooting experience, but I've done my research. When I get an AR, it is going to have all the things you said are "tacticool", but I won't be getting it because they're "cool", I'll be getting it because I have a reason to. All of my weapons are double duty as range toys and HD weapons. I don't need to be a perfect target shooter or use them for hunting, because I neither compete nor hunt.

Collapsable Stock: Well, it comes on most ARs anyway, but if I'm in my hallway I want it shorter.
Red Dot: Faster target aquisition. Does it mean I don't have to train? No. But it does mean that no matter my level of training, I can aquire target faster.
Foregrip: Well, I'll probably use an AFG, but ergonomics are not "tacticool", they are healthy. I work in IT, so I know how much bad ergonomics can cause problems.

So you might come to the range, and see me with my "tacticool mall ninja AR" and think I'm just some poser. But all you'd be doing is judging me without getting to know me. Maybe they don't have the experience. Does that mean that they are bad shooters for getting extra gear? No. Does the extra gear help? I'd say yes.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 8, 2012, 11:23 PM

You actually think anyone would notice the 19 gadgets on the rails?? :evil: I'm old not dead!!

mgregg85
April 8, 2012, 11:24 PM
Theres no reason to buy an expensive, military grade 1911 and have it checkered or buy nice stag grips. You could buy a $135 hipoint and have the same experience for a lot less money.

Now did you roll your eyes while reading that at any point? There's nothing wrong with wanting a nice weapon and high quality accessories. Its just a hobby for many people. Kinda in the same league as customizing a nice old muscle car even though you have no intention of racing it.

Grmlin
April 8, 2012, 11:27 PM
Odds are if a 22 year old hot female hardbody wearin' nuttin' else but a coupla tactical thigh holsters and a bandolier walked onto the range carrying an AR with 19 gadgets on the rails you'd have no complaints at all. Am I right!

Nice mental images, Imagine the hot brass.

Mrcymstr
April 8, 2012, 11:30 PM
Being a hardcore-cant talk to girls-glasses wearing- d&d playing- comic book reading nerd for most (all?) My life I can relate to those guys even though im not one of them. They are being themselves. Their reasons may be childish or simple escapism, maybe bandwagon or maybe they wish they could be that action hero. Their reasons are entirely their own and trust me. Your 1911 without a rail, laser, FLGR, and bayonet looks just as strange to them as their tricked out AR looks to you.

"Stop picking on me because im a geek. Im strange to you, your strange to me" - MC Chris

Double Naught Spy
April 8, 2012, 11:33 PM
Seriously, as long as he's safe and not breathing down your neck all afternoon or offering you completely bogus information, why should you care how he spends his spare change?

There is a lot to be said for this. And you know, there are all sorts of people who show up to the range that you probably don't want to be shooting with because they are less than safe and are really actively annoying that are a problem.

With that said, I still haven't figured out why some people feel the need to dress up in costume to go to gun shows. We seem to see a fair number of folks who are dressed in 1800s cowbody, WWII, or Vietnam era gear and they aren't the vendors. I am not suggesting that such costumery is wrong. I just don't understand why they where is an am afraid to ask - I might find the answer appealing.

Serenity
April 8, 2012, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't look cool no matter what gun I'm holding...

That right there.

newbie4help
April 8, 2012, 11:38 PM
I think the thing that set off my eye-rolling was a comment a group of tacticool guys made to me at the range. They saw my stock Ruger 10/22 and laughed and made some comments. The gist was "haha so funny that someone would use one of OUR cool banana style magazines in that simple old wooden .22 rifle." (It was a $20 butler creek high capacity magazine I use to save my fingers from reloading). It was clear these guys were more interested in appearance than anything else.

And, not that it matters, but I'm not "jealous." I don't want to tell people how to spend their money.

The-Reaver
April 9, 2012, 12:09 AM
Op-I notice this a lot when I go to the range. People with no real marksmanship skill or military experience shooting expensive guns with all kinds of cool-looking accessories. Example: I recently saw a group of guys with a desert-camo AR with holo sights, foregrips, collapsible stock, the works. These guys were clearly not military/police. Would not surprise me if that entire rig was over $1500. They could easily have bought an AK or SKS, or even just used a good .22 or a hunting rifle. And ditch the useless optics!

Do they tread on you for not having that stuff on yours?

Its the 2nd Amendment man, let it be. Its also a free market...( at least that's what they say )

From the way I dress, you wouldn't know that I'm military, yet I bring my AR to the range and practice.

to the ninja's its all about how cool your stuff looks, I know for a fact I can dog people like that out all day with a 10/22 and iron. But I don't go ragging on them.

Onward Allusion
April 9, 2012, 12:49 AM
newbie4help
People trying to "look cool" with their setups?

As long as they're not AHs to others or doing unsafe stuff, more power to 'em. Shooting is suppose to be fun. Heck, I'm off to the range with my wife and sones tomorrow with our 10/22s. My wife is the only one with a stock setup but with Ruger 25 rounders. The boys and I each have tricked out 10/22s & mine cost about a $1K to build. Would you roll your eyes at a family having a good time on Easter Monday at the range? :rolleyes:

allaroundhunter
April 9, 2012, 12:55 AM

I actually prefer an Eotech for my AR that we use for defense against feral dogs as opposed to a 1.5x magnified scope.....it serves the purpose better. The Eotech also makes target acquisition faster than with iron sights......

So basically, yes, you are wrong.

I don't roll my eyes at those that shoot their lever guns and western-style revolvers either....I just pull out my .30-30 :D

With that said, I still haven't figured out why some people feel the need to dress up in costume to go to gun shows. We seem to see a fair number of folks who are dressed in 1800s cowbody, WWII, or Vietnam era gear and they aren't the vendors. I am not suggesting that such costumery is wrong. I just don't understand why they where is an am afraid to ask - I might find the answer appealing.

I have been known to arrive at a gun show or two wearing camo from head to toe after returning from a hunting trip, but I typically dress up as......a college kid ;)

writerinmo
April 9, 2012, 01:02 AM
I'm 52, ex-military, and I don't care what the gun is as long as it's safe to shoot and you are safely shooting it. Here is my latest project, I converted it myself and everything on it serves a purpose, either to keep it 922r compliant or to help me in what I want to do with it. This isn't the only rifle I own, nor is it my favorite but it serves it's purpose.

2011 manufacture Saiga in 7.62x39, converted.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/handymanks/Saiga/Saiga012.jpg

Top, the Saiga, bottom is an Armscor M1600 .22 semi-auto.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y120/handymanks/Saiga/Saiga003.jpg

ljnowell
April 9, 2012, 01:08 AM
what a disgusting thread that should have been locked on the first page. Gun snobbery along with the anti-gun elitist attitude of "they dont NEEEED that."

USAF_Vet
April 9, 2012, 01:24 AM
Some would look at my SKS with it's black folding stock and 75 round drum and think mall ninja. Let them think whatever they want, I know who I am and where I've been and what I've done. And if I choose to bump fire from the hip and dump steel downrange, who really cares? I'll pull out my .22 and follow up shooting quarters at a hundred yards. Is that more acceptable?

Instead of being less than high road, step down from that high horse you're on and possibly give these guys a few pointers. Might be surprised to find out they are actually a couple US Marines recently back from the 'Stan just having a bit of fun.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j452/bensmith995/014-1.jpg

whalerman
April 9, 2012, 01:45 AM
I would like to defend the original poster of this thread, just a bit. Maybe he was simply reminding us that the basic pleasures of shooting don't require bells and whistles and such. The days of the .22 and the tin can shouldn't be forgotten. Over the years I've collected many guns. I find myself going back to using single action revolvers, bolt action .22's and old military rifles. OLD military rifles. I'm 58 years old today. Simple is better.

April 9, 2012, 02:12 AM
I agree w/
Post #2:
You are wrong...

MachIVshooter
April 9, 2012, 02:20 AM
They could easily have bought an AK or SKS, or even just used a good .22 or a hunting rifle. And ditch the useless optics!

Some of us actually do have a purpose for the tacti-cool looking stuff. This is actually my coyote rig:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n117/Hunter2506/101_1130.jpg

Mini-14 cut down to 14.6" w/perm. flash hider. The cut served two purposes; It made it handier, and it drastically improved accuracy. The sidefolding stock also helps when manuevering the rifle inside a truck cab. And the nightvision most definitely has a purpose.

So laugh away, but I promise I'll be scoring more 'yote pelts than you will with that open-sighted .22 LR you recommend.

sonick808
April 9, 2012, 02:32 AM
Free country. As long as they're not endangering anyone or myself, I say good for you, enjoy your good fortune.

Ragnar Danneskjold
April 9, 2012, 02:37 AM
It seems like most people on here have a "it's their money. Don't scoff at them, and they shouldn't scoff at you" attitude. Good. How many would keep that same attitude if they saw someone at the range who spent their money on BDU pants, a drop leg holster, and a plate carrier?

USAF_Vet
April 9, 2012, 02:38 AM
I would like to defend the original poster of this thread, just a bit. Maybe he was simply reminding us that the basic pleasures of shooting don't require bells and whistles and such. The days of the .22 and the tin can shouldn't be forgotten. Over the years I've collected many guns. I find myself going back to using single action revolvers, bolt action .22's and old military rifles. OLD military rifles. I'm 58 years old today. Simple is better.
First, happy birthday.
Second, of course the bells and whistles aren't required, but they can be fun. I enjoy shooting my M-44 at dusk just to see the fireballs. I also enjoy shooting at small targets at distance, 'cuz its fun. I also like uselessly bump firing my tricked out SKS. Why? Fun.

There are many aspects of shooting, some of which serve no purpose other than to bring a smile to the shooters face, be it hitting the bulls eye at 700 yards with a 40x 30-06, bouncing a tin can at 25 yards with a .22 or anything else. Shooting doesn't have to have a purpose. The act of shooting itself IS the purpose. Some people need to lighten up with how other people choose to spend money. It's not coming out of my wallet, so why do I give a rip if someone dropped a grand plus on their gear and spray and pray $100 worth of ammo in ten minutes? Looks can be deceiving, and to me, blasting away with a tricked out AR looks like fun.

USAF_Vet
April 9, 2012, 02:40 AM
It seems like most people on here have a "it's their money. Don't scoff at them, and they shouldn't scoff at you" attitude. Good. How many would keep that same attitude if they saw someone at the range who spent their money on BDU pants, a drop leg holster, and a plate carrier?
I've got BDU's, courtesy of the US taxpayer, and yes I wear them to the range. I have a plate carrier, and there are some ranges that I no longer visit where wearing one might be prudent. Don't have the drop leg holster though. Not fond of them, but if I were, guess what, I'd have one. I'd wear it to the range because they are pretty comfy.

None of these accoutrements of the shooting sport detract at all. I've seen local militia units in full uniform training on public ranges. Doesn't bother me in the least. The only thing that bothers me at the range is poor safety considerations. Everything else, I mind my own business.

Onward Allusion
April 9, 2012, 03:01 AM
Ragnar Danneskjold

LOL! You must have been next to me at the range the other day when this same guy was drawing & double tapping into the same ragged hole at 15 yards with his HK.

Ragnar Danneskjold
April 9, 2012, 03:16 AM
LOL! You must have been next to me at the range the other day when this same guy was drawing & double tapping into the same ragged hole at 15 yards with his HK.

Good for him. I hope he had a good time. That's the point.

sonick808
April 9, 2012, 03:20 AM
BDU, Leg holster and plate carrier, or Pokemon pajamas and eye liner, i really don't care as long as they're safe and having fun.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 9, 2012, 04:52 AM
sonick808, don't be bumping ya gums about my damn pokemon jammies! And that wasn't eyeliner, I have naturally dark long lashes!!! ;)

Davek1977
April 9, 2012, 06:30 AM
I think the thing that set off my eye-rolling was a comment a group of tacticool guys made to me at the range. They saw my stock Ruger 10/22 and laughed and made some comments. The gist was "haha so funny that someone would use one of OUR cool banana style magazines in that simple old wooden .22 rifle." (It was a $20 butler creek high capacity magazine I use to save my fingers from reloading). It was clear these guys were more interested in appearance than anything else.

So, what this boils down to is "They picked on me, and now I'm wondering if I have a valid point to pick back with" right? Long story short, they had no reason to question your choice of mag, but their doing so certainly doesn't give you license to strike back based on assumptions that may or may not be the least bit accurate. People have different tastes, and different needs. Just because your wants or needs didn't mirror theirs doesn't give either party the right to disrespect the other. Grow up. I could care less what someone does at the range so long as they are safe in doing it. For someone who supposedly doesn't want to tell others how to spend their money, you seem to believe you have a better idea of what they should spend their money on than they do.

beatledog7
April 9, 2012, 08:18 AM
Always strive to shoot safely and more accurately than the other guy. Succeed at both, and what he's doing (as long as he's not being dangerous) will cease to matter.

pockets
April 9, 2012, 08:52 AM
It is their money, their time, their hobby, and their life.
Unless they pose a danger to me or someone else, they are welcome to enjoy their hobby as they see fit, in whatever clothes they like, and with whatever firearm they enjoy and can afford.
Gee, if I'm not overly judgmental, they may just let me shoot that high-dollar rifle (which I'm apparently coveting). ;)

red-demon652
April 9, 2012, 09:56 AM
I leave the sunshade on a nikon buckmasters scope mounted to a remington 700. Because i think it looks cool.

browningguy
April 9, 2012, 12:47 PM
Here I am looking cool with a dead deer:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/8pointdeerjan2008small.jpg

And here I am looking cool with an Axis deer;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/axis1.jpg

And I look pretty cool with a Blackbuck antelope:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/blackbucksmall.jpg

But coolest of all with a Texas Dall:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/jcm9371/ram3.jpg

You notice how I have the old, gray haired, balding, fat boy look down pat? I had to work for many years to get the look just where I wanted it.

gun addict
April 9, 2012, 01:32 PM
so what? Just jealous that you could'nt buy nicer stuff?

You came off as quite the judgemental person stating that "those guys could'nt possibly be police or military". How can you tell in the first place and who cares if they arnt, so now only military and police officers can have fun guns?

what's on your DD214 btw?

stumpers
April 9, 2012, 02:31 PM
^ I'm still waiting on the DD214 answer as well...

Cosmoline
April 9, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'll admit I make a habit of judging books by covers at the range. And there's some merit to the practice. The fellow with the PGO shotgun loading it with Brennekes and holding it up to his eye needs to be stopped quickly. And sometimes I see firearms, both tacticool AR's and high-end hunting rigs, that were obviously someone's boat payment. And usually the owners fire them off the bench a few times and leave. But it's their life.

X-Rap
April 9, 2012, 02:58 PM
The problem is that we are just looking at that one snapshot in another persons day and life. They might have just mounted a new scope or worked up a new load on that fancy rig and want to check it off the bench, they might have fired thousands of rounds from field positions with that very gun when we weren't at the range or they may have chosen to do that work out on the NF or BLM.
Sure there are neubs that think the pistol grip shotgun is what they need, heck we all learn through that kind of Darwinism.

SilentStalker
April 9, 2012, 03:06 PM
Dude, its kind of like this, we all got to start somewhere and for some they might as well start out with a gun that will see them through their growth. In other words, buy a good gun or good set up once vs. buying a cheap rifle for $300-$400 only to find out later they have outgrown it or just plain don't like it anymore or just plain want something better. In the end it makes more sense to me to spend $2000 on a good rifle that you can have for the next 20 years + than it does to keep upgrading in steps from a low end rifle to a high end rifle. Usually, when you do something like the upgrading thing you lose money along the way so I don't recommend it unless your budget does not allow for a nice gun up front. I am not saying that there are not nice guns in that price range either but there are probably other options. In the end, IMO a good gun is one that you are capable of operating well, whether it be a $400 gun or a $4000 gun with fancy optics on it and whatnot is irrelevant.

I own several Sako TRGs among other things and these guns can well outperform what I am capable of hitting at 500 yards+ but that doesn't mean that I should have bought a less expensive rifle just because I am not capable of hitting targets at 1000 yards yet. You see what I am saying? One day I may be able to shoot well over that and I know that I already have a rifle capable of helping me get to that point. Next time you see them why don't you go up and offer to teach them something rather than knocking them.

JPG19
April 9, 2012, 03:14 PM
I know what you're saying but, to me, it's their money so let them do with it as they please. I have no military experience (long story short, I signed up for the Marines but health issues disqualified me) yet I easily have over $1500 in my AR and it is quite a simple setup like MistWolf's. In fact, the most "tactical" accessory I have on my AR is a light. To me, a shooter's demeanor is more important and telling than what he is shooting or what gear he has brought to the table. Hell, if I had the money, I'd be rocking a minigun with every accessory imaginable. Talk about the ultimate in tactiCOOL!

Certaindeaf
April 9, 2012, 03:30 PM
I make a duckfoot look cool.
As for people buying and using fine/specialized arms and equipment, heck yea.

jerrard
April 9, 2012, 03:56 PM
Even though I am of an older generation and my toys are M1 carbine, Garand and M14.
Even though AR lowers and Uppers are becoming accessories to the optics and bling.
Even though itís been said that than an AR is just a Barbie Doll for men.
What I see at the Range is the Ar crowd having a heck of a lot of safe fun.
Also, as has been said here most of these accessories seem to have a logical and rational function.

tarosean
April 9, 2012, 04:02 PM
^ I'm still waiting on the DD214 answer as well...

Does it really matter?

The op has an opinion, you have an opinion, and I do too. That's probably the only thing we have in common besides guns and funny screen names.

heavydluxe
April 9, 2012, 04:15 PM
Everyone is trying to look cool (in their own eyes). As long as we're looking cool/idiotic safely, that's what it's all about.

Double Naught Spy
April 9, 2012, 05:56 PM
Some of us actually do have a purpose for the tacti-cool looking stuff.

You mean that looking cool isn't the reason for putting an ATN Paladin Gen 1 NV scope with long range illuminator on your Mini-14 with the economy-sized folding stock and supportive vertical grip? And you think the flash hider might be beneficial to using the NV scope?

Okay, I took it is bit further with a Luna Optics laser illuminator and added an Aimpoint Micro for daylight. Okay, I added the decal becasue I thought it was cool as it came from a hunting buddy of mine in Brazil. Everything else on the gun (including the strip of back duct tape on the stock) has a purpose and gets used, though not used all the time and not always used together.

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 9, 2012, 06:06 PM
Double Naught, are you saying that you don't like being blinded using NV because of muzzle flash? Or you don't like your filters being blown out of your NV scope because of muzzle flash? Oh come on now, you can't expect us to believe you don't like walking around seeing spots for hours after firing a high muzzle flash weapon at night while sighting through NV! It's all the rage! :evil:

By the way, how do you like that Luna Optics laser illuminator? Was thinking about getting one for my "not really needed" night setup for hogs. You know, since the OP seems to think that anything HE doesn't use is unneeded by the general masses. Guess he has never hog hunted at night!

Gtimothy
April 9, 2012, 06:09 PM
Back when I started shooting I couldn't afford the nice guns I saw some people at the range shooting. Sometimes they would let me put a few down range so I got a feel for what I liked and what I didn't. As I grew older and could buy the guns I drooled over I did exactly that. Do I care what the guy next to me thinks when I break out my "Tacticool Mall Ninja" ARs with the Huge scopes? Nope! If someone looks at my setup and rolls his eyes, I just show him my targets and that usually shuts them up. Just because they are new and "Trendy" doesn't mean that I don't know how to make them perform!

DagoRed
April 9, 2012, 06:42 PM
If someone wants to own a military type weapon, if they want to accessorize it, so be it, as others have said "their money, their time". If it doesn't infringe on my, why should I care what they enjoy?

I do think it's funny when they think it makes them a badass, or when they get all camo'd up to go to the range, but again, if they don't bother me, I don't care.

Ragnar Danneskjold
April 9, 2012, 07:04 PM
I do think it's funny when they think it makes them a badass

The real trick is reading their minds while at the range.

MachIVshooter
April 9, 2012, 08:49 PM
And you think the flash hider might be beneficial to using the NV scope?

Yeah......the flash hider/barrel chop was done long before I got the scope. That said, the flash is so quick, I don't find it terribly bothersome. The good folks at ATN also said not to worry about the intensifier with it-just be sure to leave the cover on in daylight.

Eventually, this NVRS will be on a 10(T) upper for my AR-10A2C, but it sat way too high on the carry handle.

It is presently attached to my Remington 673 .350 Mag that was used for hogs last week down in Turkey, TX. Worked beautifully for that, except you have to remind yourself not to crowd the scope on a powerful little rifle like that. My sister got scope-eyed real bad using a Savage .308 with a Mk350 when she nailed her boar last Wednesday.

If I can get my taxes squared away, I'll be picking up a Pulsar N550.

gp911
April 9, 2012, 08:59 PM
Ragnar, you nailed it. The mind-reading gets folks in all sorts of trouble. We make wrongful assumptions about other people all the time. Attribution theory...

gym
April 9, 2012, 09:09 PM
As long as it's your own money, no one should judge how you spend it. As mentioned it sounds like jealousy to me. No ones business what others buy with their hard earned cash. You also never know who that guy is that you are poking fun at. I have an AR after 40 years of carrying I finally broke down and bought one. I like it, it's economical, and shoots well, I plan on putting some optics on it instead of the inexpensive red dot I put on to see if I like it. Would you make fun of me, for having one? I also probablly sold and handled hundreds of guns in my 63 years. If someone wants to buy something that seems a little over the top to you just remember that America is based on those principals, it breeds investment and sucess.Never put someone down just because of the way things appear to you at first glance, you will find that you will be wrong more often than right. It's their rightto have whatever they choose as long as it's legal to own.Those are the things we fight for every day, it's one step closer to being anti gun when you start deciding who should have what.

SabbathWolf
April 9, 2012, 10:11 PM
Newbie....

Yep. You're wrong.
It's none of your business either way and totally not up to you.

303tom
April 10, 2012, 01:19 AM
There is always that one..................

Arkansas Paul
April 10, 2012, 02:06 AM
I may get a chuckle from time to time, but it certainly doesn't bother me, nor do I feel that I have a right to be bothered by it. As long as someone is practicing safe gunhandling, it's none of my business what they do.

Ignition Override
April 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
I count my blessings quite often that such vast heaps of cash are spent on glamour guns, and the chic gear with which they become encrusted.

This limits price increases on my types: Garand, Enfields, FR8s, SKS (Tech Sight). Without the more fashionable choices to divert hard-earned funds, so many of us would be doomed by a constant, steep price spiral.

Chris-bob
April 10, 2012, 02:26 AM
I was at the range Saturday. Took my Savage model 29A(pre-WW2 pump .22) out for the first time since replacing the breechbolt. Table next to me was full of mid 20year-olds gathered around an AR30?. I rolled my eyes and commenced knocking shot shells off a pallet at 50 yards without missing. They all came over and wanted to see this old accurate relic. I in turn, probably for the first time ever was actually impressed with the look and accuracy of their AR30.(it was tan, not sure of the optic, and hitting the gong set out at 400 yards with every shot)

Sure, I roll my eyes sometimes, but I have been getting much better at enjoying their company at the range.

TennJed
April 10, 2012, 02:45 AM
Ragnar, you nailed it. The mind-reading gets folks in all sorts of trouble. We make wrongful assumptions about other people all the time. Attribution theory...
I hear that S&W is coming out with a big announcement. It is a mind reading phaser

Agsalaska
April 10, 2012, 02:46 AM
I hear that S&W is coming out with a big announcement. It is a mind reading phaser
Sign me up!!

Freedom_fighter_in_IL
April 10, 2012, 02:49 AM

I sure hope not!!! Wife would get one and then I would be up that smelly creek without so much as a snorkel!!!!

Robert
April 10, 2012, 02:52 AM
We've reached mind reading phasers... wow.

OP you have your answer.

If you enjoyed reading about "People trying to "look cool" with their setups?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!