Your favorite shooting discipline is?

PDA

Sauer Grapes
April 8, 2012, 10:33 PM
I'm curious what you guys like the most in the shooting sports.
Are you a specific type shooter or are you spread across a wide aray of types. {rifle, pistol, shotgun}
Are you more a sport shooter, competition or maybe just a hunter.

Myself, I really got involved in pistols just over the last few years and have shot some IDPA and USPSA.
I also love shooting sporting clays, skeet with a little trap mixed in.
In my younger years I hunted all the time.
Shotguns and pistols is about all my budget will stand. I can't do both all the time so I kinda switch back and forth.
My thirst for clay shooting is starting to take over now that the weather is getting nice. I have a feeling my pistols are going to sit a lot this summer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your favorite shooting discipline is?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Plastikosmd
April 8, 2012, 10:35 PM
Blackpowder bench rifle, roundball or slug

JTHunter
April 8, 2012, 11:12 PM
Hunting with whatever I'm allowed to use - normally a 12 gauge shotty - occassionally a .22 rifle and/or pistol.

allaroundhunter
April 8, 2012, 11:41 PM
Hunting and paper punching, getting into IDPA here soon.....last time I called to check in on an IDPA shoot they said I had to be 21....

USAF_Vet
April 9, 2012, 12:30 AM
Pistol, rifle and shotgun, shooting at targets both paper and otherwise. Also hunt, but really only deer season and the occasional turkey.

Robert
April 9, 2012, 12:53 AM
Hunting, IPSC- though it has been a while, Tactical Rifle

doc2rn
April 9, 2012, 12:56 AM
I prefer distance shooting target, and trap with shotguns.

exavid
April 9, 2012, 01:11 AM
Bullseye and Fullbore shooting.

blarby
April 9, 2012, 01:41 AM
I'm fascinated with putting 3-5 shots in 3 inches with solid shot at their intended engagement ranges, and 75% of pellets within 20 on scattered shot @ 40 yards.

Using cartridges I craft.

I've gotten better with some, and done worse with others.

I'm sure more will come with time...but right now, thats what I'm in to.

Robert
April 9, 2012, 01:44 AM
Don't know that it is a discipline as such but I really want to work up some black powder loads for my 1895G. I'd really like to try some paper patching... just cause.

RTR_RTR
April 9, 2012, 01:59 AM
Sporting clays is such a wonderful sport. Too damn expensive, but wonderful

bannockburn
April 9, 2012, 05:40 AM
Started out going out hunting with some of my friends from work. This quickly led to an interest in shotguns and rifles. Eventually I took up trap shooting with another friend of mine, though due to various reasons we haven't done this in awhile.

I have always had a great fasciation with handguns but have never done anything with them in the form of competition or some organized sport. Just informal target shooting, plinking, and an advanced training course in tactical shooting and weapon retention after I had my CCW permit.

ZGunner
April 9, 2012, 05:50 AM
I just enjoy shooting in general. Pistol, rifle, shotgun it doesn't matter. However, I really get tickled when I can lay behind a rifle and put rounds right on top of each other at distance.

I just can't help but think what a guy from the 1700's with a smooth bore musket would think of that.

JimStC
April 9, 2012, 08:03 AM
I competed for several years. Started in IDPA (1 year) then moved to IPSC in Limited (4 years). Concurrent with IPSC I was shooting Multi Gun and Steel.
Multi Gun was my favorite. Took three years off from competition and now am shooting rifles, bolt and semi auto, mostly from bags at 200 yards+. My goal is too work on my skill set and compete in Tactical rifle. Plan on some coyote calling too.
Great thread. Thanks

bhk
April 9, 2012, 08:56 AM
In my over 50 years of shooting I guess I have been into almost everything for a least a time period. As a pre-teen I started shooting NRA 4-position smallbore (.22). That is how I learned the basics of marksmanship that have stuck with me for decades. To this day, I get great enjoyment from shooting bullets into tiny groups from fine .22s. In my early adult years, I was mainly into hunting (of all types) and the guns needed for that sport. During my decades of shooting, I have dabbled in: skeet leagues, sporting clays, IDPA, small-bore silhouette, informal benchrest, trap, and LOTS of hunting. I have sometimes reluctantly backed out of some of these due to the high cost of shooting them (ammo, travel distances, and mere time).

Today, in the spring of 2012, I am retired and quite relaxed with my shooting. I enjoy paper punching and plinking on my backyard range with both rifles and handguns (including ccw practice). I do this several times a week, but never expend much ammo per session. I shoot occassional rounds of sporting clays and skeet. I also still avidly hunt, deer, quail, doves, small game, predators, and the occassional turkery.

scaatylobo
April 9, 2012, 09:25 AM
Combat with the carry guns.

Target and hunting with the rifle and shotguns.

From 3' to 200 yards.

snake eater 332
April 9, 2012, 09:28 AM
I, too, have always enjoyed shooting no matter the discipline....just putting rounds down range brings a smile to my face. ;)

I've been in LE for 15 years and previously served 9+ years in the military, primarily in Special Forces and Military Intelligence. I think that real-life tactical skill building always interested me most.

Within the last few years, I've stepped up my tactical and firearms training again since my little ones are no longer toddlers and I now have some extra time and money.

I've done some local IDPA matches, action shooting matches, and multi-gun (2 and 3-gun) competitions for fun and the extra repetitions/muscle memory building under stress (albeit a timer rather than rounds coming my way). I also try to take 2-3 tactical/firearms training classes a year with some of the top world class instructors, such as Larry Vickers, Rob Pincus/ICE-Combat Focus Shooting, Jason Falla/Redback One, Magpul, Jeff Gonzalez/Trident Concepts, Kyle Lamb/VTAC, Chris Costa/Costa Ludus, Travis Haley/Haley Strategic Concepts, and several others. These classes vary from extreme CQB pistol and combatives to downed shooter aid (TC3) to tactical carbine operator.

I like to be well-rounded and train in all the disciplines and tools of my trade from rifle, pistol, shotgun to tactical medicine to combatives/hands-on. I consider myself a highly effective warrior from 0-800 m.

A true warrior is competent in all aspects of his chosen path, not just one particular discipline.

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-ef77-ad62.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-f001-10e1.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-f00f-2765.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-f021-5dd9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-f036-1ae5.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-f045-1f32.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-f05e-e809.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/aefc36a3-f06a-8804.jpg

MrBorland
April 9, 2012, 09:38 AM
I'd love to shoot everything, but my time's limited, so as far as formal competition, I chose to specialize to get good at at least one thing. Right now, it's exclusively IDPA (SSR), but I've shot USPSA & ICORE, and plan on branching out a bit after this season.

I love target shooting, and do it informally to keep my fundamentals strong. Revolver, rimfire sporter, mainly, but some air rifle & air pistol as well.

StrutStopper
April 9, 2012, 09:57 AM
Lately I've been shooting alot of paper with .22 from my 22/45. After making some big ragged holes I'll break out a larger caliber handgun. I'm about to be obsessed with spring turkey season with my 12 gauge, and also spend lots of my shooting time with my bow on the 3D course.

Kristensdaddy
April 9, 2012, 10:11 AM
First choice is skeet - small gauge. Second is 22 handgun. 3rd is 22 rifle. 4th is reloading. then comes centerfire pistol and lastly centerfire rifle. (is reloading a shooting discipline??)

Red Cent
April 9, 2012, 10:17 AM
Cowboy=Single Action Shooting Society

Get to shoot two single action revolvers, a Winchester (original) Model 1897 pump 12 gauge, and a replica 1873 Winchester lever rifle on every stage.

303tom
April 9, 2012, 01:48 PM
Don`t have a favorite shooting discipline I just love shooting..............

LeonCarr
April 9, 2012, 01:54 PM
All of them...every shooting discipline involves shooting :).

If more people would open their minds to trying other shooting disciplines and we pooled our resources against the anti-gunners instead of each other, the world would be a much better place for all shooters and hunters.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

throdgrain
April 9, 2012, 02:01 PM
Sporting clays every time :)

Sauer Grapes
April 9, 2012, 02:16 PM
Sporting clays is such a wonderful sport. Too damn expensive, but wonderful
I'm with you there, RTR! My wallet onlt goes so far.

Dr.Rob
April 9, 2012, 08:24 PM
Hunting, Tactical Rifle, IDPA, and just plain busting clays.

SabbathWolf
April 9, 2012, 09:26 PM
All of them really too.
Except shotguns.
After I had shoulder surgery, my 12ga days are now over I'm afraid.
But yes...CQB, medium range and long range is all fun to me.
My next gun will be a single-action Blackhawk just because that's "different" too.

asia331
April 9, 2012, 11:59 PM
I carry a sidearm everyday for self defense but happiness resides in a good battle rifle.

Jaxondog
April 10, 2012, 12:06 AM
paper puncher mostly but love to do all kind's of shooting. Especially Skeet or Trap.

BullRunBear
April 10, 2012, 12:42 AM
The trap field for my old Stevens SxS shotguns.

Paper punching and steel targets for everything else. Lately that means muzzleloaders and 22LR rifles and handguns.

Jeff

Shoobee
April 10, 2012, 01:56 AM
Primary interest is and always has been self defense, for which I trust in my 45ACP when around so-called civilization, and in my 44 rem mag when in the mountains or forests.

Secondary interest is in hunting, for which I rely on my Remington model 700 .300 RUM.

Tertiary interest is keeping my skills sharp enough to successfully accomplish both of the above, and also to keep my weapons sighted-in.

Inebriated
April 10, 2012, 02:16 AM
My favorite shooting discipline is going out there with a friend, and seeing who can hit the hardest shot, whether that's a hitting a quarter at 25 yards with a handgun, or a 12 gauge hull at 100 with the .22, or who can empty their magazine into a torso target at 50 yards the fastest, without missing the "kill zone"... it isn't formal, but that's why I like it.

ball3006
April 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
Aim, squeeze, repeat often......................chris3

randymac
April 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Rimfire benchrest.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j392/randy-mac/017.jpg

Dr T
April 10, 2012, 10:59 AM
My top 3 are Hunting, plinking with a 22, and casual high power bench. In that order.

parsimonious_instead
April 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
Favorite discipline? Regardless of platform, simply enjoying the moment, and trying to continuously improve.

If you enjoyed reading about "Your favorite shooting discipline is?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!