Ruger SR1911 Range Day

PDA

ultramag44
April 8, 2012, 10:50 PM
Gotta love the SR1911! :cool:

Everytime I bring it to the range, I hear lots of ooohs & aaaaahs :) and wheredjagitit? :)

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Ruger%20SR1911/SR1911wtriggerguage.jpg

Out-of-the-box the trigger was a crisp 4-1/4, it's now settled down to a respectable 4 lb even and dead crisp!

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Ruger%20SR1911/SR1911triggerpull.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR1911 Range Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
umc180gr
April 8, 2012, 11:06 PM
Nice looking pistol. How does she shoot?

TimboKhan
April 8, 2012, 11:51 PM
Bleh! I am on no less than FOUR waiting lists here, and I have yet to even see one of these.

Rugerspyderon
April 9, 2012, 02:55 PM
Mine shoots great. It has nice 2 to 3 inch groups at 30 plus yards and I am a regular shot. It feels good and looks great. I got the black Ruger wood grips.

asia331
April 9, 2012, 03:01 PM
Any heavy witness marks from the extractor on your spent brass?

shermanator86
April 9, 2012, 03:18 PM
My roommate just picked up his sr1911 after being on a waiting list for 5 months! But he has it now and loves it, nice pistol have fun with it.

Boarhunter
April 9, 2012, 03:45 PM
Regardless the length of your wait, the Ruger SR1911 will be well worth it! Promise. I have one of the first SR1911s shipped into North Alabama, and I have put plenty of rounds through it. All with complete satisfaction. In fact, it is one of my favorite 1911s, regardless of price (and some of my others...Springfield TRP and various Kimbers...cost much, much more).

Boarhunter

mnhntr
April 9, 2012, 09:28 PM
I love mine.

chez323
April 9, 2012, 09:55 PM
If any of you are in PA I happened to see one in person at Grice's in Clearfield, price was $749.99....... first one I've seen in stock in a long time..... I'm sure it won't hang around long.

ultramag44
April 9, 2012, 10:13 PM
I admit, I got lucky!

I was not actually looking to acquire the Ruger SR1911. My LGS had just put it out in the display case right before I got there. I actually didn't buy it on the spot. It was lunch time. I went back to the office, then called my LGS and told him to pull it off the shelf and put it in the safe. For only $639.00 + tax, my resistance crumbled pretty fast! :o Being one the LGS's 'Prefered Customers' I don't have to put down $$. I can have a gun held on my word only. :) I picked it up the next day.

Asia331: No, there aren't any heavy witness marks from the extractor on spent brass. Brass looks normal and goes right into the turret press.

For those on wait-lists like Timbokhanhang in there, your gun will come, unfortunately, you'll have to wait a bit longer now. Ruger is actually 1 million orders behind (on all models of guns)! They set up a second production line dedicated to the SR1911 now. They will resume taking orders in early June.

Sadly, a few dealers are now reneiging on agreeded upon prices when a gun arrives! Oh well, I guess some dealers integrity and honor is only worth $20.00...

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Ruger%20SR1911/SR1911d1.jpg

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/Ruger%20SR1911/SR1911d2.jpg

skt239
April 9, 2012, 10:26 PM
Ultra,

What's that little pink dot next to the slide stop? Is that the same little sticker they put on LCP's and LC9's? Congrats on the sweet new pistol, btw. Let us know how it shoots.

ultramag44
April 9, 2012, 10:30 PM
The guns all seem to have a sticker!

Different colors, blue, yellow, etc., have been observed. I have NO idea what it is for. :confused:

Mine is actually red, the flash made it look pink

HarcyPervin
April 9, 2012, 11:37 PM
I believe it correlates to who inspected the gun before it left the factory.

WoodchuckAssassin
April 9, 2012, 11:40 PM
Haha! I don't understand the sticker either. Mine had a yellow sticker, and I picked it off after the first 100 dry fires. It is at this point that I want to give my disclaimer to anyone who does not already own a Ruger 1911…BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT! When I bought mine, I went to the ol’ gun store to buy a sig mosquito for my girlfriend when I said the 3 words that changed my life – “Hey, what’s that?” I didn’t even know that Ruger had come out with a 1911, but once I held it I knew it would have a new home next to my bed. I traded in my Ruger SR9c for it, so a Ruger for a Ruger isn’t a bad deal.

How does it shoot? While I’ve heard a reputable author or two say it groups 3 inches at 20 yards, I can put a 2 inch group at that distance on any given Sunday (and I ain’t no marksman). It handles +P loads just as well as standard loads, and like all 1911, it’s just fun as heck to shoot. While it is the only 1911 I own, the slide to frame relationship seems as tight (dare I say tighter) as any 1911 you could sample at your local gun shop.
Recently, I decided I needed to see how the insides of my Ruger looked. While I was very pleased with this product, the trigger did have a noticeable “click” before the hammer dropped – almost like it was a 2-stage trigger. The trigger weight was (and still is) 5.5 pounds, which is plenty for a home defense piece, but I still didn’t like the “click.” After opening the 1911 and cleaning the factory dust/metal shavings, I polished the trigger bow, trigger channel, and every assembly pin using a fine stone. (The stone was nothing fancy – a Smith’s Sharpening Stone – but it did the job for what I needed). My arch nemesis, The Click, was softened, but not eradicated. I then did the unthinkable. I touched the sear. AHHHHHH! I know, stupid. But all I did was SOFTLY move the contacting edge (that is, the edge that made contact with the hammer) along the same, fine Smith stone (just 5 or 6 times) to remove the somewhat-jagged machined edge.

The Result? The perfect defense trigger pull. It’s got a little “smush” in it, but it’s smooth, consistent, and still registers a comfortable 5.5 pounds. I never touched the sear spring, and I never plan to. I bought this stainless steel beauty for $625 a year ago, and I would have easily paid $800 or $900 for the quality I’ve seen. I’ve put 1000 rounds through her, and there’s no indication that it won’t go another 10,000.

Enjoy your Ruger! I know I have.

StrikeFire83
April 10, 2012, 12:07 AM
When Ruger makes a Commander-length model in Black Nitride, I'll buy one. Nothing at SHOT, so I guess I'll be waiting another year.

Boarhunter
April 10, 2012, 09:58 AM
I personally would like Ruger to manufacture a double-stack 1911 (the quality of an STI, but with the price of a Ruger), but since Ruger can't keep up with demand for its current products, it would be hard for the company to justify adding additional significant models....

Boarhunter

Pilot
April 10, 2012, 11:09 AM
They seem like a really solid choice for a 1911. Nice pistol!

bubbacrabb
April 11, 2012, 01:37 AM
I love mine, shoots pretty well with 230 grain cast lead bullets. Doesnt ding my brass up. Easy to clean up. All around great pistol.

metalart
April 12, 2012, 06:05 PM
Just went to the range to let a friend who wants to get into shooting try out my sig. As we were leaving we decided to check out their shop and they had one last SR1911 sitting on the shelf. Long story short, she beat me on the wallet draw and purchased it as her first firearm. Great looking gun! feels wonderful in the hand, good price... 635.00 Shame they are on back order... Guess I will just have to enjoy playing with hers ;)

meanmrmustard
April 14, 2012, 03:08 PM
Glad you guys have had good luck and enjoy your SRs. The only one I've had experience with was purchased last November. It's a POS. Glad I don't own it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SR1911 Range Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!