What's YOUR gun fun?

PDA

Topgun
February 15, 2004, 08:27 PM
Got one that is top priority? I know there's more, but space limitation.

:confused: :)

If you enjoyed reading about "What's YOUR gun fun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cslinger
February 15, 2004, 08:34 PM
I like them all but my absolute most fun thing to do is instruct new shooters. I am by no means a sharpshooter but I know my stuff and love bringing new people into the sport.

Chris

Smoke
February 15, 2004, 08:39 PM
I suppose it would be target shooting.

In a dynamic sort of way. I like multiple target setups that let me work out the gauge and the 1911 in the same run.

From there....punching paper with a variety of weapons, then trying to bust those elusive little clay birdies.

After that comes "all of the above"

Don't make me rank them.....I can't do it.

Smoke

P95Carry
February 15, 2004, 08:48 PM
<sigh> .... this is a multiple choice ya know .. I mean ''pick one'' .... all but impossible!! :p

I picked - oh what was it? ''Powerful loads'' ... cos I am a hand-cannon dude .. I love the big cals ... badly!

But then ya see .... ''plinking'' covers so much ..... whether it's going thru a brick of .22lr with the Marlin 60 .... emptying far too many mags thru the AK .... oh my .... decisions, decisions .. !!

Over my many years of shooting I could probably put a tick in every box!! Done most .. and still never manage to do all I want.

Dave R
February 15, 2004, 09:06 PM
Yeah, this REALLY needs to be multiple choice. I chose hunting, because I think a good day of upland hunting is about as good as it gets.

But almost any plinking session is real close.

And sporting clays isn't that far behind a good day of upland hunting.

PawDaddy
February 15, 2004, 09:16 PM
Well, I deer hunt now. Have squirrel, turkey, and dove hunted in the past. And I also like to target shoot and am now about to get into clay targets. But, I like to plink!

I guess it would be good to do a "mark all that apply listed from most important to least" poll.

Mulliga
February 15, 2004, 09:19 PM
Easily the most fun you'll ever have is instructing new shooters. Nothing like getting a bunch of friends and burning some powder, all in the interest of marksmanship and gun safety.

Ala Dan
February 15, 2004, 09:25 PM
Instructing NEW shooter's

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Myself
February 15, 2004, 09:26 PM
I enjoy punching holes in paper both formally and informally. I am also a big fan of hand cannons. In spite of those and others, I chose collecting modern cause I spend more time researching and a-cummin-ateing stuff.

7.62FullMetalJacket
February 15, 2004, 09:26 PM
Is plinking a subset of target shooting? Or the other way around? :confused:

Stevie-Ray
February 15, 2004, 09:35 PM
I picked target shooting, but that's not quite right. It's just what I do most, now. I actually enjoy working up handloads, especially for .45 ACP. Break out the reloading equipment for several hours, take all the documenting material and head for the range for several more hours. But nothing beats a stroll through the deep woods with a favorite .22 shooting at nothing in particular. Haven't done that in way too many years.

gbelleh
February 15, 2004, 09:47 PM
Full auto! :D

El Tejon
February 15, 2004, 09:48 PM
No slot for "Learning".:confused:

Telperion
February 15, 2004, 09:49 PM
Yeah, where's the slot for tactical training?

Tamara
February 15, 2004, 09:52 PM
That would be in the "What's your weapon seriousness?" thread; this is the "What's your gun fun?" thread. ;) :D

Ankeny
February 15, 2004, 10:02 PM
Competition shooting. In particular, getting new clubs and new shooters started. I am a gamer.

Ryder
February 15, 2004, 10:05 PM
I'm only good for about 12 of those.

JeepDriver
February 15, 2004, 10:11 PM
Plinking.

Nothing better then spending an afternoon shooting with a couple friends.

It can be at cans, bowling pins, steel plates or darn near everything else. That's fun to me!

cool45auto
February 15, 2004, 10:35 PM
Target shooting with Collecting Antiques a close second.

TamThompson
February 15, 2004, 10:53 PM
Absolutely plinking. To the point that I'm endangering my healthy diet of fresh foods by buying and consuming more canned food so I get cans to shoot. :) :p :)

Beav
February 15, 2004, 11:01 PM
As much as yearn to go out and shoot them I would have to say collecting modern firearms. It's every bit of an addiction for me. Whether its the design, looks, or simply the feel of a well engineered and machined piece of metal in my hands, I'm always anticipating my next purchase. :D

I'm more into modern but I have grown a great appreciation for older designs such as the Hipower, 1911, and Makarov.

Hkmp5sd
February 15, 2004, 11:11 PM
WWII firearms.

StuporDave
February 15, 2004, 11:18 PM
I enjoy target shooting and plinking. I collect milsurp firearms. I have, and will again, competed in action pistol competition. I love all these activities.

I chose "instructing shooters". There is nothing, and I mean nothing, that compares to the look on the face of a new shooter I am helping the first time he/she hits the ten ring. The first time I saw it was my son. I've seen it many times since then. I can proudly say my son has seen it himself a few times.

Dave

Jeeper
February 15, 2004, 11:54 PM
competition and prarie dogs.

Black Majik
February 16, 2004, 05:11 AM
Trap shooting.

The heavy shotgun w/ moving targets and exploding colorful clays, what more can you ask for.

Absolutely too much FUN!

I do love instructing new shooters. Nothing satisfies me more than seeing the expressions of firing their first gun because the hobby is so "taboo" in California. Everyone I've taken so far has absolutely loved the experience.

But my vote goes to trap.

4570Rick
February 16, 2004, 06:05 AM
Where's the rimfire golf? A buddy and I used to go to the desert, dig a couple holes half mile apart about two feet deep and ten feet in diameter (1 stick of 40% works well for this) :D then play a two hole par 50-100 coarse. It ain't pretty but it's a lot of fun. Just shoot the golf ball in the direction of the hole. Putting a golf ball with a .22 long rifle is a bit tricky though, that's why the hole is ten feet in diameter.

FORE

Smoke
February 16, 2004, 10:52 AM
Tamara said:That would be in the "What's your weapon seriousness?" thread; this is the "What's your gun fun?" thread.

But they can be the same. The most fun I have with my clothes on is when I go to Powderhorn every year for their Personal Protection Seminar.

That IS fun!. :D

Smoke

GaryM
February 16, 2004, 06:08 PM
I am a C&R type guy but I also enjoy shooting competively. But since I had to choose I went with collecting antiques even though I don't consider C&Rs to be antiques for the most part.
WWII rifles and some more modern stuff too.

4v50 Gary
February 16, 2004, 06:11 PM
I enjoy all types of firearms but for a challenge, try a round ball blackpowder rifle. They are tough (for me) to shoot accurately and my hat is off to the frontiersman and marksmen of the olde days. I wouldn't want to get to be up against them with a Mini-14 (unless the barrel was shortened, the gun glass bedded, trigger job and glass w/NVG :D ).

Edward429451
February 16, 2004, 06:24 PM
Oh I couldn't vote for one. My fun seems to run in cycles. Plinking, target shooting, hand cannons, teaching new shooters, reloading. small gaming. I probably forgot some others...

Guns are just plain fun all around.:D

Maddock
February 16, 2004, 06:28 PM
It used to be target shooting and plinking followed by everything else, but in the last few months I’ve had the opportunity to instruct a fine young man of 10. Watching him discover the joy of shooter has rekindled a bit of that sense of “OH, WOW” in me.

entropy
February 16, 2004, 07:28 PM
All of them! Most of all, instructing new shooters. I have done so since I was taught, and it is rewarding watching a new shooter progress, and build enthusiasm along the way. My favorite student is my 10-year old son, and he is a natural. :D

I agree with Smoke, tactical training is fun! My son loves to learn "what Dad did in the Army", and it teaches him, (and reminds me) that the best weapon is the mind.

Fun pure s**t eating-grin fun, I'll have to admit a belt-fed full auto is tops!:evil: Wish I had one!:D

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=802101

Zach S
February 16, 2004, 07:37 PM
MP5 rental.

Majic
February 17, 2004, 04:01 AM
I'm a tried and true plinker. There's no better way to spend a day.

cratz2
February 17, 2004, 10:57 AM
The most rewarding shooting experience for me is 100 yard handgun shooting. At either paper or the gong.

theCZ
February 17, 2004, 11:06 AM
I chose "hunting" because the most fun I ever have while shooting is at those little ground squirrels. I've never "hunted" them with anything larger than a .22lr, but that will have changed by this spring. Nothing beats fast paced shooting in a "target rich" environment!

Ktulu
February 17, 2004, 11:11 AM
I choose "Target shooting" because there is no "Competition" category.

Topgun
February 17, 2004, 12:38 PM
Ktulu, that's a damned smart tactical choice. I have no doubt you do well in competition because you were able to discern that "Target shooting" did not specify ....bullseye.

And....in competition, I assume you shoot at targets.

There just weren't enough categories to cover everything.

But you did just fine.

:)

BHPshooter
February 17, 2004, 06:20 PM
I voted plinking.

There was no slot for THE MOST firearm fun I've ever had in my life. Let me explain.

In Utah, we have these huge monstrosities that are called "Mormon Crickets." They crawl along the ground in swarms and feed on any piece of vegetation - especially crops - that they come across.

We took a major liking to loading ourselves up like commandos, and strolling along the dirt roads "on patrol." :D

After all, we've got to make Utah a safe place for crops. If we don't, what am I gonna eat? :D :uhoh: :D

I can't convey the pure fun that is CRICKET HUNTING!!! :evil:

The closest thing to this is probably plinking, so I chose that.

JeepDriver
February 17, 2004, 08:17 PM
"Mormon Crickets"

Just how big are these things?

Ktulu
February 17, 2004, 09:01 PM
Thanks Top Gun, I think. ;)

Topgun
February 18, 2004, 12:02 PM
When I was a kid, those Mormon crickets were all over the place. Haven't seen one for years. First one I saw scared the crap outta me. I thought they HAD to bite. Heads like space aliens.

:uhoh:

BHPshooter
February 18, 2004, 04:23 PM
Just how big are these things? They range. They can get up to about 3 or 4 inches.

They're big enough to creep you out, but small enough that it's a challenge to hit them at 5-10 yards.

It generally doesn't matter if you hit them or not though, since if you hit the ground near them, the "explosion" will usually throw them a ways. :D Unbelievable entertainment. :D

Wes

If you enjoyed reading about "What's YOUR gun fun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!