Beretta 92 series mags switchable?

PDA

arthury
April 10, 2012, 03:42 PM
If I were to get a 92/m9 (model: J92M9A0M) that comes with two 10rd mags, can I use the regular 17rds mags or is there some internal mechanisms that restrict it to the 10rds mags only?

Please advice. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92 series mags switchable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big Texan
April 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
By 17 rd magazine is that an aftermarket because the standard is 15rd from Beretta but yes they will work. You can even use 96 mags in it and it will hold 15 9mm.

arthury
April 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I am not sure if the 17rds mags are factory but Beretta USA seemed to indicate that the 92A1 has 17 rd mags.
http://www.berettausa.com/products/model-92a1/

OregonJohnny
April 10, 2012, 05:25 PM
Beretta is now providing (and has been for at least a couple of years) 17-round factory magazines with some of their new 9mm 92/M9 series pistols. Any magazine that will work in 1 type of Beretta 92/M9 9mm pistol will work in any other. The only exceptions will be the Compact models, although the Compact Type L (double stack) will accept full size magazines, but not the other way around. The Compact Type M (single stack) used proprietary magazines.

As far as I know, Beretta factory magazines can be either 10, 15, or 17 round, and aftermarket companies like Mec Gar make 18 and 20 round mags. They all are interchangeable in any full size Beretta 92/M9 series 9mm pistol. I've had great luck with the Beretta factory 15-rounders, as well as the Mec Gar 18 and 20-rounders. No failures of any kind, ever.

arthury
April 10, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips.

Devonai
April 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
If new 17-round magazines are available in your state, you should be sure and order a Beretta that comes with them. There is no point in ordering one that comes with 10-round magazines unless your state requires them.

Also, the price for the package should be the same regardless of magazine capacity, so don't let your dealer tell you otherwise.

OregonJohnny
April 10, 2012, 11:15 PM
If new 17-round magazines are available in your state, you should be sure and order a Beretta that comes with them. There is no point in ordering one that comes with 10-round magazines unless your state requires them.

Also, the price for the package should be the same regardless of magazine capacity, so don't let your dealer tell you otherwise.

Yes, great advice. A lot of online retailers (Bud's Gun Shop for example) will have versions of a certain gun with 10-round magazines, even if the particular gun can be had with much higher capacity magazines. These 10-round versions are meant for people living in states like California, where mag capacity is limited to 10 rounds. The gun is no different, but the magazines included are these nanny-state versions. Do not order a gun with these limited magazines unless your state requires it. And certainly do not pay more for the version with standard-capacity magazines.

wrs840
April 10, 2012, 11:19 PM
I bought a Clinton-era 92FS that came with two ten-round mags.

Mec-Gar 18 round mags work fabulously in it.

tryshoot
April 10, 2012, 11:46 PM
Some parts from Taurus pt-92 will work, But mags will not.

ratt_finkel
April 11, 2012, 12:27 AM
Love my 20 round mec-gars. Work flawlessly. Never had issues with my one factory 10 rounder. Have had some issues with the older 15 rounders. My new M9A1 15rd mags are neat. Work fine in my older 92FS.

Pick up a 32 rounder from Pro-mag off cheaper than dirt. What a blast that mag is!

P.S. If you are not carrying, the 20rd mec-gars are my fav.

arthury
April 11, 2012, 01:17 AM
The 17rd version and the 10 rd version have different catalog #.

All of the 17 rd ones are out of stock at the dealer I ordered from. So, I had no choice but to get the 10 rd version unless I want to wait for the distributors to get new stock from Beretta. I have written to see if they can swap in the 17 rd mags, which I doubt they will since it comes direct from the distributors.

Well, the good thing is that I can use the 10 rd mags for IDPA since the SSP division limits all guns to 10 rds max anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 92 series mags switchable?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!