which 1911?

PDA

keeplivnthedream
April 11, 2012, 02:43 PM
Looking for a new pistol. Just bought the ruger sr9c 3 months ago, loved every minute of shooting it and I am ready for something a bit larger than 9mm at this point. Maybe a 45 acp. Yeah im talking 1911. Such an amazing looking gun needs to be in my collection.

my budget is under $800. Preferably much lower than 800$

Want a skeletonized hammer and a beavertail. (I have meaty hands)

I have looked at Rock Island. Like them. Shot one before, loved the trigger on it. A bit worried though about that all cast frame. Looking for a gun to last a lifetime.

Like the springfield gi series 1911. Know very little about them. I would have to upgrade the hammer and beavertail though.

Also like the Kimber Custom II. A great gun. A bit much for my price point though. But it comes somewhat loaded with the beavertail and hammer, and a few other bells and wistles. would it cost more to upgrade a springfield or to just get a stock kimber custom II

Another option is the Ruger sr1911. Looks good to me. I have however heard it has accuracy issues. Chime in if you have an opinion

Know very little about colt 1911's. i know thats almost sacreligious for someone to say but fill me in.

Im basically wanting like a Pro's and Cons list for each pistol and a short comparison.

I am also going to make a poll out of this to see what most people have and like.

Which one should i buy and for what reasons?

I forgot to mention that the 1911 will not be a carry gun as i like my sr9c for carry. the 1911 will be a range and target gun. I will probably end up upgrading parts and stuff.

If you enjoyed reading about "which 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg528iT
April 11, 2012, 03:18 PM
The only reason I didn't vote Springfield GI, is that you'd blow more money upgrading to the beaver tail and hammer. It's a great gun, but if you want that, and stay under $800 get on a Ruger wait list.
Springfield LOADED models would be good, but are going to push you past $800. I expect that a Colt with the same appointments, should push it as well.
I'd say Rock Island, but I've been hearing some good Ruger accounts lately.
I don't know what that Kimber runs.

allaroundhunter
April 11, 2012, 03:20 PM
For your budget, the SR1911 would be your best bet, but they are hard to find.

A colt would be great.....but they are out of your price range.

If you enjoyed reading about "which 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!