NEW Ruger 22/45 Lite

PDA

deadduck357
April 12, 2012, 05:39 PM
Ruger sent me their new 22/45 Lite pistol for T&E review. It is an autoloading pistol chambered for the .22 Long Rifle rimfire cartridge.
http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L2.jpg

First things noticed were the gold finish and the muzzle cap. The finish is a gold anodize because this 22/45 model has stainless steel barrel sleeved into an aircraft-grade aluminum receiver for light-weight. The barrel is threaded to receive muzzle devices.
http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L5.jpg

Pistol specs:
Manufacturer: Sturm, Ruger & Co.
Model: 22/45 Lite
Caliber: .22 LR
Capacity: 10 + 1 rounds
Weight: 22.7 oz. (w/mag.)
Length: 8 13/32 in.
Height: 5 9/16 in.
Width: 1.15 in.
Barrel: 4 13/32 in.
Twist: 1:16″ RH (mfr)
Grooves: 6 (mfr)
Trigger pull: 4 lbs. 5.5 oz.

The upper receiver appears to have slides serrations, which would be useless, they’re serrated cuts to further lighten the weight.
http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L7.jpg

http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L8.jpg

Removal of the protective muzzle cap reveals a wave washer and the 1/2-28 TPI threaded barrel.
http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L9.jpg

When I first opened the box and revealed the pistol I was somewhat indecisive about the gold color. The gold anodized finish is not gaudy, just a little flashy and not in a bling sort of way, but more of a customized look.

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW Ruger 22/45 Lite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
deadduck357
April 12, 2012, 05:41 PM
Range report:

http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L30.jpg

Velocity results:
Federal .22 LR 36 gr. CPHP………….988 fps.
CCI Mini-Mag 22 LR 36 gr. CPHP…..1041 fps.
CCI Stinger .22 LR 32 gr. CPHP…….1144 fps.

5 round groups were fired supported at 15 yards.
http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L34.jpg
Federal CPHP

http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L35.jpg
CCI Mini-Mag

http://lead-slinger.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ruger22-45L36.jpg
CCI Stinger

*Note: Targets’ Bullseye – 2″ dia.; outer – 4.5″ dia.

Besides not having a reciprocating slide and the small caliber the 1911 familiarity is there. We did have two stovepipes with the Federal value pack ammo but all CCI ran without a hiccup. The trigger has a small amount of slack before a very clean break. The blacked-out sights made for a sharp sight picture while punching paper or steel and should work well for plinking. It would make an excellent training tool for the novice and youth. Its light weight and accuracy potential has me anticipating the next range visit.

for full review: lead-slinger.com (http://lead-slinger.com/ruger-2245-lite-pistol)

Apple a Day
April 12, 2012, 07:38 PM
Threaded barrel :D
Side indentations :rolleyes:
Color :barf:
Was there really a desperate need to make the 22/45 lighter? It's a target pistol, you aren't going to be humping it through the boonies with an extra 80 lbs of gear or anything.
I'm surprised they haven't added a rail under the barrel yet.

Jolly Rogers
April 12, 2012, 07:40 PM
Yep...it isn't the most attractive gun I've ever seen.
Joe

glove
April 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
Any idea of what the price might be?

19-3Ben
April 12, 2012, 07:50 PM
I think the look is interesting. I don't know if I like it or not, but it's certainly a very interesting look.

2wheels
April 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
Not 100% sure if I like the color, but I do like the overall look. I guess I could live with the color...

deadduck357
April 12, 2012, 08:26 PM
I'm surprised they haven't added a rail under the barrel yet.

They have a railed version - http://ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/specSheets/10149.html

deadduck357
April 12, 2012, 08:27 PM
Any idea of what the price might be?

Not sure, but street prices should be somewhat lower than msrp

MCgunner
April 12, 2012, 08:28 PM
Mmm, well, looks like just the gun for a guy looking for a suppressor on a .22 pistol. I've been thinkin' it's just a matter of time before someone intros an after market threaded barrel for the SR22, easy to swap, just one bolt. This one comes already threaded.....hmmmm....:D Looks like it's accurate, too.

I might like me a "hush puppy" in the future. 200 bucks for a class 3 on the suppressor, but it sure would be neat to shoot without hearing protection.

deadduck357
April 12, 2012, 08:31 PM
Not 100% sure if I like the color, but I do like the overall look. I guess I could live with the color...

Thats what I thought when I first pulled it out of the box, but then I thought it didn't look to bad and how many ss and blued guns do I already have. It's different and not as bad a the initial shock.

MCgunner
April 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
Those who think this thing looks weird need to go look at a Beretta Neos. :rolleyes:

deadduck357
April 12, 2012, 08:34 PM
Mmm, well, looks like just the gun for a guy looking for a suppressor on a .22 pistol. I've been thinkin' it's just a matter of time before someone intros an after market threaded barrel for the SR22, easy to swap, just one bolt. This one comes already threaded.....hmmmm....:D Looks like it's accurate, too.

I might like me a "hush puppy" in the future. 200 bucks for a class 3 on the suppressor, but it sure would be neat to shoot without hearing protection.

Yes it would. and more accurate than me

deadduck357
April 12, 2012, 08:37 PM
Those who think this thing looks weird need to go look at a Beretta Neos. :rolleyes:

After handling and shooting it, it no longer looks weird anymore, just different and I'm liking that.

smallbore
April 12, 2012, 09:11 PM
Loaded chamber indicator :cuss:

MCgunner
April 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
What's wrong with a loaded chamber indicator? I have one firearm with it and I kinda like it. It's on my Radom P64, just have to feel over the hammer with the thumb to see that it has a round loaded. It's innocuous otherwise. I mean, it's got positives and I don't see a negative.

Schuey2002
April 13, 2012, 12:33 AM
Nice review! :)

I hope they end up offering it in some other color than gold anodize. I'd be ok with a green or tan finish..

Kiln
April 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
Wow is that bad boy ugly. I can see the allure though, the MK3 is heavy as sin. I can only imagine how light that thing feels in comparison.

DPris
April 13, 2012, 02:53 AM
The gold is very subdued. The one here actually looks more silverish than gold.
Denis

LawofThirds
April 13, 2012, 03:58 AM
Nice. Ruger has finally noticed all the aluminum uppers getting sold for MK II/III's and figured out that people like a reasonably priced, light .22 to toss in a backpack for a camping trip in the lower 48.

MCgunner
April 13, 2012, 08:10 AM
Yeah, the Mk2 is heavy, but it's very easy to shoot. I've noticed I have to concentrate a bit more with my 17 ounce SR22 vs my 24 ounce Rossi 511 revolver. Both guns are equally accurate iron sighted guns with similar sight radii, but the Rossi is easier to shoot well due to it is a bit heavier and is steadier.

I also have an old Ramline Exactor, plastic with a steel lined barrel. It's pretty accurate, though all my magazines have gone to crap for that thing and they're not available anymore at any price. It's kinda a POS anyway. All the zines praised it when it came out and I bought the hype. :rolleyes: Anyway, it's not particularly easy to hold steady, either, even though it's a full sized gun because it's so light.

Light is not always good, but I did buy the SR22 for that "toss in the backpack" idea, more properly, toss in a pocket. :D It's a nice little gun and quite accurate if you concentrate and do your part. I can see where the larger gun and slightly heavier would have appeal if pocket size isn't necessary.

Kiln
April 13, 2012, 04:13 PM
Yeah, the Mk2 is heavy, but it's very easy to shoot. I've noticed I have to concentrate a bit more with my 17 ounce SR22 vs my 24 ounce Rossi 511 revolver. Both guns are equally accurate iron sighted guns with similar sight radii, but the Rossi is easier to shoot well due to it is a bit heavier and is steadier.

I also have an old Ramline Exactor, plastic with a steel lined barrel. It's pretty accurate, though all my magazines have gone to crap for that thing and they're not available anymore at any price. It's kinda a POS anyway. All the zines praised it when it came out and I bought the hype. :rolleyes: Anyway, it's not particularly easy to hold steady, either, even though it's a full sized gun because it's so light.

Light is not always good, but I did buy the SR22 for that "toss in the backpack" idea, more properly, toss in a pocket. :D It's a nice little gun and quite accurate if you concentrate and do your part. I can see where the larger gun and slightly heavier would have appeal if pocket size isn't necessary.
Hey I know somebody with a Ramline. He calls it the "Jam-Line". He said it worked really well when he first bought it new but now he can't get a single mag through it without issues.

It does have an interesting look and is extremely light though.

1KPerDay
April 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
Anyone know why they milled that goofy-looking flat into the bottom of the barrel? Can't they laser-engrave/rollmark on rounded aluminum? The round steel barrels have the safety billboard there... :confused:

Apple a Day
April 13, 2012, 04:58 PM
Anyone know why they milled that goofy-looking flat into the bottom of the barrel?
Probably to reduce weight.

1KPerDay
April 13, 2012, 05:33 PM
I don't buy it... they could have fluted the receiver or simply reduced the diameter. How much weight do you think they actually saved there? If weight were the issue they could have milled flats on the sides rather than leave material for the goofy non-functional "slide serrations."

deadduck357
April 13, 2012, 05:35 PM
Probably to reduce weight.

Correct; weight reduction

deadduck357
April 13, 2012, 05:38 PM
I don't buy it... they could have fluted the receiver or simply reduced the diameter. How much weight do you think they actually saved there? If weight were the issue they could have milled flats on the sides rather than leave material for the goofy non-functional "slide serrations."

It was primarily for weight reduction but also for a cool custom appearance.

Dnaltrop
April 13, 2012, 05:45 PM
My 10 year old daughter stated she'd rather wait for an all-black Bersa .22 rather than get the readily available two-tone pistol.

I like the reduced weight, but she wouldn't give this Ruger a second look without a change to a basic Black or Blued.

deadduck357
April 13, 2012, 06:07 PM
If Bersa is the quality she's looking for then by all means you don't wanna upset her.

rugerman07
April 13, 2012, 07:53 PM
Yep...it isn't the most attractive gun I've ever seen.
Joe I think it's uglier than a Hi Point. It looks like something a New Orleans pimp might carry.

SGW42
April 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
I like my custom looking things to actually be...custom.

Gato Montés
April 13, 2012, 10:22 PM
I have to admit the pictures in the OP don't look as bad as the stock photos, but still :barf:.

I think I'll wait for a more agreeable color, perhaps pea green?

Edarnold
April 14, 2012, 01:52 AM
For a lot of women, the steel Mark 3 is way too heavy. This one should appeal to a lot of less-muscular shooters who aren't worried about getting that last five points by the steadying effect of a three pound pistol.

Kiln
April 14, 2012, 04:07 AM
For a lot of women, the steel Mark 3 is way too heavy. This one should appeal to a lot of less-muscular shooters who aren't worried about getting that last five points by the steadying effect of a three pound pistol.
Agreed, most small to average framed women have trouble holding it steady after a little while.

Pilot
April 14, 2012, 08:04 AM
My wife likes my polymer framed 22/45 with four inch bull barrel, much more than my MK II's with 5.5 inch bull barrels. It is totally due to the lighter weight of the polymer, and shorter barrel.

I am considering getting her an SR22 which I know she will really like, not this gold thing.

MCgunner
April 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
Hey I know somebody with a Ramline. He calls it the "Jam-Line". He said it worked really well when he first bought it new but now he can't get a single mag through it without issues.

I have one mag left that still feeds okay, but it has a crack that's just a matter of time. I superglued it. :rolleyes: Another problem with 'em that causes jams is the constant force springs lose force over time.

Yeah, it's a POS. At least I got it when I was a "kitchen table dealer" and only paid $120 or some such as I recall. Some purchases you just write off to mistakes. LOL

deadduck357
April 16, 2012, 11:50 AM
My wife likes my polymer framed 22/45 with four inch bull barrel, much more than my MK II's with 5.5 inch bull barrels. It is totally due to the lighter weight of the polymer, and shorter barrel.

I am considering getting her an SR22 which I know she will really like, not this gold thing.

As much as I like my SR22P, this Lite is showing better accuracy.

bannockburn
April 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
Well I like the concept, and I'm sort of liking the design but Ruger really needs to offer the upper in black or dark blue before I would consider getting it.

Pilot
April 16, 2012, 06:34 PM

Totally agree. I've got three MK II's, and a MK II era 22/45. She prefers the lighter 22/45, but I'd think she'd like the style of the SR22 better.

I just can't get past the aesthetics of the Lite, but maybe if I see one in person. Glad its working out for you.

J2FLAN
April 16, 2012, 06:41 PM
I`m guessing a lot of folks will like the color--Just look at the "custom build" colors. Pac-Lite uppers/ VQ frames? Some pretty stuff :D

Anyway, I think I like the 22/45 lite for my next `22 . The review here, was good, as were some others I have read.

highlander 5
April 16, 2012, 06:54 PM
That color looks like the anodize we used on a lot of the jet engine parts at my former employer. Couldn't tell if it was gold or some shade of sea sick green.

hvactech
April 16, 2012, 09:30 PM
+1 on the Tactical solutions pac lite

MCgunner
April 16, 2012, 11:00 PM

Of course, but that's sort of like comparing a XR100 to a factory CRF450F MXer, sorta apples and oranges. I see the SR22 as a kit gun. Mine will shoot 2" with Federal off the bags at 25 yards. My Mk 2 will shoot 1/2" at 25 off a rest, but it won't fit in my pocket. If I'm going squirrel hunting, either the Mk 2 or the TC Contender match grade 10" .22 goes. If I'm going hiking or fishing or working around my place or something and want a .22 along, I'll take the SR22.

Dnaltrop
April 17, 2012, 03:01 PM
Deadduck... It wasn't the Bersa (good gun that it is) ... It was the Two-tone, readily available one she refused, preferring to wait for the backordered all-black one. (LGS giving me a good price, makes up for the wait.)

She actually did hold the Ruger MK III and didn't like the weight. If it wasn't two-tone I could offer her the polymer option...

But at least she's discerning enough at 10 to not just want the first thing she sees, she still laughs at her Aunt's pink Crickett.

kenken
April 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
I like it. Just a little different.

kenken

deadduck357
April 17, 2012, 05:27 PM
Deadduck...

She actually did hold the Ruger MK III and didn't like the weight. If it wasn't two-tone I could offer her the polymer option...

But at least she's discerning enough at 10 to not just want the first thing she sees, she still laughs at her Aunt's pink Crickett.

Too funny, good girl.

Would be nice if Ruger offered it in two options - one with the gold for a custom/competition look and one with a grey or titanium colored receiver for a more subtle appearance.

smith627
April 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
Slab sided barrel might look even better and offer other colors.

Bush Pilot
April 18, 2012, 10:33 PM
My LGS has one for $359.99, just got it in yesterday.

Mr.510
April 19, 2012, 06:28 AM
I think I might have to get one of those, mill the sides of the barrel/receiver flat or nearly so, and then anodize it black. :cool:

db_tanker
April 19, 2012, 06:35 AM
meh...looks interesting but my older 22/45 has no fears of being replaced...she gets along quite well with my slab-side Buckmark.

Jitterbug
August 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
I picked one up for the wife, she likes it and we've been swapping pistols at the range, she never did like the weight of my MKII...after putting a few hundred rounds through it I'm thinking it's a nice little gun for the money.

I don't know if it's me or what, but the groups seemed to open up on it last time out. I'm going to clean and lube and then shoot is side by side with the MKII from a bench the next time out.

I can't help but think maybe something came loose with the barrel??? We'll see, soon as I can find some time to tinker with it....the sights are are nice and tight.

The feel of the pistol is nice, the trigger is a bit heavy, yep it has a different look to it, but the wife likes the light weight.

DPris
August 30, 2012, 11:00 PM
Don't play with that barrel.
The jam nut at the front end is factory-tightened to a certain torque & epoxied in place.
If it's not loose, leave it alone. If it is, return it to Ruger.
Denis

Jitterbug
August 31, 2012, 09:49 AM
Good to know, thanks Denis

DPris
August 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
That nut may look like it's removable, or capable of being tightened, if you have the right tool, but the way the upper is constructed there's nothing about the barrel that's user serviceable.

If the nut should loosen on its own, it's a trip back to the factory.
Denis

Jitterbug
August 31, 2012, 01:25 PM
I've done a little research and reading since your post about not removing the nut....I appreciate that and now have a better understanding of how the gun is built.

First thing is to clean up the gun and run some more groups with it. It "seemed" like groups where starting to open up while shooting the other day.

We did make a couple of ammo changes and of course that might have done it.

I was mostly shooting my MKII, but did swap guns for a few magazines to see if it was the wife or the gun. The groups did open up for me too, although not as bad.

Initially I sandbagged it side by side with my MKII and the groups where very similar.

So, after cleaning it, I need to redo that exercise as well as try some different ammo, it simply could have been the ammo or shooter fatigue.

I'm not exact about the round count on it now, but it's probably north of 500 rounds.

Obviously I wasn't all that familiar with how the gun was put together and my first thought after checking the sights was hmmmm...maybe something is loose with that barrel arrangement.

DPris
August 31, 2012, 02:49 PM
I have a cutaway side view of an upper that Ruger sent, but I can't forward it.
The barrel has a shoulder at the rear that the chamber end bears on in the receiver tube against forward motion, and the jam nut retains it by pulling forward from the front & locking the barrel & receiver tube in place together under front-loaded tension.

It's a specific factory setup & not meant to be fiddled with at home. :)
The jam nut should not loosen under regular use.

I'd look into the ammunition changes as a probable cause of any change in accuracy.
The one I worked with did change POI from brand to brand, which was expected.
Accuracy was roughly on par with my steel-upper 22/45.
Denis

Jitterbug
August 31, 2012, 06:10 PM
Thanks again, it will probably be a couple/few weeks before I get out again, but I do plan to do a more thorough side by side comparison and test a few different brands of ammo.

DPris
August 31, 2012, 06:29 PM
Good luck with it. :)
Denis

Jon Coppenbarger
September 1, 2012, 06:17 PM
have any of you shot it with a scope on one. thinking about putting the scope rail that came with the pistol on it but but have not even shot it yet .

If you enjoyed reading about "NEW Ruger 22/45 Lite" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!