Walther P22 concern - Sorry for the length

PDA

Cactus Jack Arizona
April 13, 2012, 04:29 AM
A few weeks ago, I took my P22 to the range. I shot a couple of mags worth of CCI ammo without reservation or flaws. I had also brought a box of Winchester Supreme with me. I loaded a full 10 rounds of the Winchester ammo, inserted the magazine, readied myself, aimed, fired. Hmm, I noticed that the Winchester rounds seemed to have a little less umph to them as opposed to the CCI ammo. Not thinking much of it, I continued on.

On the third magazine of the Winchester ammo, I had a round explode. The "end cap" of the casing had completely blown into pieces and hit me in my face. All that was left of the casing was just the tube. The bullet was shot completely out of the barrel.

So for safety and piece of mind, I had my Walther P22 checked by my gunsmith. He determined that the round was not properly loaded, therefore containing too much pressure.

Here's the thing. Since the incident, I've been to the range twice with the P22. The first trip was a disaster. I hit the center three times out of 50 rounds. The target ended up looking as though I has shot it with a 12 gauge. The second trip? Out of thirty rounds, I hit the target center six times. I know it's not the gun. My brother has also shot my P22 since getting it back from the gunsmith. He shoots it well, small groups, very impressive.

Here's the question: Do I continue to work through this issue that I am having with the P22 or do I get rid of it and buy some other type of 22lr?

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P22 concern - Sorry for the length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
skt239
April 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
Hello,

First off, good thing you were not injured by the over pressured round... A few years ago, I took my little brother to the gun store (10 years old at the time) and let him choose a .22 that would be his at the range. Naturally, he went right for the P22, even though I tried to steer him towards a Ruger. We had the shorter barreled version and like you, I never found it to be very accurate. Past ten yards my groups would really begin to open up. I think it was mainly because of the trigger, I just couldn't warm up to it. After a few thousands rounds, the P22 really started to give us problems. We experienced every type of jam imaginable to the point wear it wouldn't make it through mag without jamming. What caused our problems was after a while, the frame and slide rails looked like someone took a hack saw to it. However, we expected it when we bought it as the P22 is not constructed from the best materials.

We sent it back to S&W and the replaced it with a new gun right away. Once we got the new gun it was immediately sold and got my brother something else. I'd say sell it and get something you'll have for a long time, like the Ruger I begged my brother to buy. The P22 is a real fun gun and a great training device but in my experience, it simply won't hold up to long term shooting.

MCgunner
April 13, 2012, 08:59 AM
I like Federal ammo. I've fired boat loads of the stuff and only problems I ever have with it is a couple of misfires out of a 550 round bulk pack. I don't mess with Winchester OR Remington, shoot some CCI, rarely some RWS or Eley.

I don't have a P22, though. I just bought a Ruger SR22, have a Mk2 and some other .22s. I have passed 1K rounds in the SR22, now, and really like it, 2" at 25 yards off a rest with Federal and flawless function. The slide is aluminum, not zamak, and that makes me happy.

evan price
April 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
Then there's me with almsot 10,000 through my P22 and no seriosu issues.

I'd say you have a bad flinch resulting from the failure of the defective round. It will take some doing to overcome it. Perhaps a different gun will help psychologically but it may be that you just will require a lot of trigger time to get your psych back in order. It happens. Sorry to hear about it.

Gato MontÚs
April 13, 2012, 04:37 PM
I agree with evan, seems to be psychological, especially since your brother seemingly has no problems with it.

Not to long ago my Ruger SR22 spat an empty case right back at me which proceeded to get lodged on the inside of my shooting glasses, right by my eye. Took me a little while to get it out an as a result left a funny looking burn right under my eye. For the rest of that range session I was flinching like you wouldn't believe.

If it were me, I'd just give it some time. Maybe let the P22 stay home for the next couple of trips and take her back out when that incident is just a faded memory.

ApacheCoTodd
April 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
I'd shoot someone else's .22 a bit and see how you do. (did I miss that you've already tried that?).

Should a similar problem present itself with another semi - try a revolver or just spend some time with rifles.

At the extreme - get an inexpensive pellet pistol and de-twitch yourself. We used to carry pellet guns overseas when we would be training foreign military. A lot of them would get the epezoodics from poor third world training, crap ammo or iffy firearms and the pellet gun route worked well for us to bring some of them back 'round.

wild cat mccane
April 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
wait, did everyone miss where he said the round was double charged?

Call up winchester and ask for a repair or replacement.

ApacheCoTodd
April 13, 2012, 08:08 PM

Funny - I got that the main point was the effect of the incident on his shooting...

skt239
April 13, 2012, 08:33 PM

I understood that and I understand how it could have an affect on his shooting. I was just relaying my experience with P22 to the op who is considering selling it.

Cactus Jack Arizona
April 14, 2012, 03:25 AM
Apache: Yeah, I shot my parent's P22Q. It functioned perfectly, but oh how the target was not pretty by my doing. My brother also shot that one and did very well with it.

Gato: I hope I got your name right. I've had the same problem with casings bouncing back and landing in between my safety glasses and my face, right by my eye. This has happened to me three different times, two right, one left. I began wearing a trucker's type hat when I go shoot .22 at the range.

Now that I think about it, maybe someone is trying to tell me to get rid of my P22. Three casings landing between my eyes and safety glasses, now an exploding round. Hmmmm. I wonder. :scrutiny:

If you enjoyed reading about "Walther P22 concern - Sorry for the length" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!