Overnight trip to Chicago

PDA

Lex Luthier
April 13, 2012, 11:25 PM
So I have to go to Chicago for business and stay over for one night. I will certainly see some of the sights (at night) and will be among many non-Minnesotan people. My employer would not approve of me carrying any firearm while on their dime.

Options:

1) Conceal carry anyway, risking potential search of my person or vehicle by LEOs and face the legal consequences,

2) Conceal carry anyway, risk confrontation with bad guys and A) the cops never find out about it, or I protect myself and have to face the legal consequences,

3) Carry a fine honed edge weapon or nunchucks, and trust my natural hand to hand combat instincts.

Thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Overnight trip to Chicago" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
paperpounder
April 13, 2012, 11:31 PM
I'm facing the same situation myself next week. I'm driving a couple hours then taking the train.
1. I want my gun for the drive but then have to leave it in a parking structure for a couple of nights.
2. Take it with me on the train and then into Chicago discreetly?

I'm in a quandary over what to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2005 Vette
April 13, 2012, 11:36 PM
Two rules to live by don't piss off the company you work for and don't piss off the coppers, especially out of state. Nobody needs that kind of attention. Don't go anywhere you shouldn't be in Chicago or anywhere else, be attentive to your surroundings and your odds are very good you'll be fine.

writerinmo
April 13, 2012, 11:37 PM
Don't carry, go to your hotel and stay inside. Next day, get the heck out of there and never go back...not worth the risk of being arrested and losing your 2nd Amendment right just because you had to spend some time in a backwards, corrupt state.

Redlg155
April 13, 2012, 11:38 PM
Brain and good instincts are the primary means of survival. Firearms are secondary.

I'm not sure if it will be a misdemeanor or felony, but given the direction that our nation is going, a "gun crime" may one day bar you from ownership. God forbid if you use an illegal firearm in a deadly force situation. It's not worth it.

dprice3844444
April 13, 2012, 11:41 PM
get a collapsible baton

Positivity
April 13, 2012, 11:46 PM
I'd choose option 3, but also make sure to not put yourself in a position in which anything could happen.

paperpounder
April 13, 2012, 11:47 PM
Brain and good instincts are the primary means of survival. Firearms are secondary.

I'm not sure if it will be a misdemeanor or felony, but given the direction that our nation is going, a "gun crime" may one day bar you from ownership. God forbid if you use an illegal firearm in a deadly force situation. It's not worth it.

You guys are right. I'll take it, but just lock it in the secondary compartment in my Sierra and hope for the best.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

wrs840
April 13, 2012, 11:50 PM
...go to your hotel and stay inside...

Um... No. Museum of Science and Industry, Field Museum of Natural History... and there's some good eats in Chicago, like Quartino on the corner of State and Ontario. Yeah, it's no place to live, but a good place to visit. Take a cab, don't stray far off of Michigan Avenue, and leave your gun behind, rather than hiding in your Hotel room. I was born there, and go back for weddings and funerals.

gondorian
April 14, 2012, 12:11 AM
There is no carry in Ill.

maskedman504
April 14, 2012, 12:19 AM
Stay legal.

If you are legally allowed a knife, carry that.

mnrivrat
April 14, 2012, 12:32 AM
I been to a few of those places for business. Do not carry anything, stay within the law.

Stay aware of all around you, and don't take chances. My stay in Boston for example was next to what is refered to as the Combat Zone. I didn't wonder the alleys there after dark. You'll be fine.

SUPRonin
April 14, 2012, 12:36 AM
Stay away from seedy places, use awareness and always walk like you know what you're doing and where you're going. They'll find an easier target. You're more likely to be killed by traffic than a thug.

Not sure how old this is, but it may be useful.
http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

buckeye8
April 14, 2012, 12:45 AM
Batons? Nunchucks? Have you verified that those are legal to carry there? They're not legal everywhere.

There are some great things to see in Chicago, particularly the Museum of Natural History. Be aware, be cautious, you'll be fine.

An aside: You also would do well to walk to the nearest mirror, look at the guy in it, and smack him a few times in the face. All 3 of the 'options' you listed are potentially terrible choices. And posted on a public forum to boot. If this is the sort of judgment you exhibit on a regular basis, I'd say your days of worrying about "where to carry a gun" will come to an end in due time.

(No offense intended)

TenDriver
April 14, 2012, 12:57 AM
Sorry, but a law abiding gun owner means you abide by the BS laws as well. If carrying or possession is illegal in your present locale, you don't carry or posses. You vote with your wallet and don't spend your money there. If you still have to go, you spend as little as possible.

FWIW, on an MDW overnight, I walked down S. Cicero Ave from the Garden Inn to the Target at dusk / night on the way back with no trouble. Had to cross a massive rail yard (on the bridge) to boot. No troubles were had and I was complying with their BS laws.

Certaindeaf
April 14, 2012, 01:06 AM
I have issues with my.. well, it doesn't matter - the list is long and no need to bore. A Blackthorn walking stick allows me to negotiate the occasional curb sometimes.

mrvco
April 14, 2012, 01:07 AM
+1 brain, instincts, situational awareness, etc.

A law abiding citizen knowingly committing a felony gun crime (or even seriously considering it) is absolutley nuts. If you're really that concerned about your personal safety, then "get the flu" and stay home. Hiring private security while you're there would be cheaper than if you got busted.

Owen Sparks
April 14, 2012, 01:12 AM
You can legally carry a heavy "walking cane" anywhere.

theicemanmpls
April 14, 2012, 02:15 AM
So I have to go to Chicago for business and stay over for one night. I will certainly see some of the sights (at night) and will be among many non-Minnesotan people. My employer would not approve of me carrying any firearm while on their dime.

Options:

1) Conceal carry anyway, risking potential search of my person or vehicle by LEOs and face the legal consequences,

2) Conceal carry anyway, risk confrontation with bad guys and A) the cops never find out about it, or I protect myself and have to face the legal consequences,

3) Carry a fine honed edge weapon or nunchucks, and trust my natural hand to hand combat instincts.

Thoughts?
Lex,
If you have to ask if you can carry your firearm, in a well known no carry state, I suggest you do the following.

During your visit to Chicago. Open Carry. The reaction, and reception you receive from the authorities will satisfy your curiosity regarding Illinois law.

When in Minnesota, why don't you carry in a court house? See how well that goes over? Tell the deputies you don't like the law. I am sure they will let you go home without incident.

I can't believe you are asking us if you should violate firearms law.

Lets say you did CCW in Chicago, and you had to defend yourself. You see what the media is doing to George in Florida? You will be the next poster boy for gun confiscation.

DON'T BREAK FIREARM LAW.

lilguy
April 14, 2012, 02:39 AM
I've lived in Illinois all my life ,60 years. Been active in shooting sports 40 years.
I won't drive through Chicago going to a competition or hunting for ANY reason. Enough friends have had their legal arms confiscated on random stop for me to know it a loosing proposition. Now you get stopped carrying a weapon
you are dead meat. I'll go to shows and conferences down town but we stay with the crowds and never wander off the main drives. Their is NO citizen carry in Illinois except for a very few exceptions and unless your a politician. Chicago Aldermen can carry. Do tell. You defend yourself and its felony assault with a deadly weapon.

smalls
April 14, 2012, 02:46 AM
"Welcome to The High Road. A place for the discussion and advancement of responsible gun ownership"
Taken straight from the rules. Asking for advice about illegally carrying a firearm isn't exactly responsible, is it? Sounds kinda irresponsible, to me.

Lex Luthier
April 14, 2012, 08:08 AM
There have been 120 homicides in Illinois in 2012. Any smart person who is used to practicing his 2A rights, would invite remarks to this particular situation.

No one looks for a fight, but a smart guy knows there are bad guys who are looking, and plans for contingencies. That's why we carry when and where it is legal. Paranoid is no way to go through life.

+1 on the baton. Picked one up at a gun show last year and thought I would never need it.

gbran
April 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-man-shot-in-head-on-south-side-20120413,0,4044709.story

Three people died and seven others were wounded in shootings Friday night and Saturday morning on the South and West sides, police said.

Half of the people wounded were shot within blocks of 71st Street and Racine Avenue, on the south end of the Englewood neighborhood and north end of the Gresham neighborhood

smalls
April 14, 2012, 08:25 AM
Any smart person who is used to practicing his 2A rights, would remember that a felony (such as illegally carrying in IL) will strip your ability to practice your 2A rights.

Fixed it for ya ;)

I'm not telling you what to do. You're a big boy, and can make your own decisions. I'm telling you you shouldn't be asking us to give you an "atta boy" for knowingly breaking the law, should you so choose to do so.

I'm also not telling you to go to a dangerous city unprotected. There are other, completely legal ways to defend yourself should the situation arise. As good or better than carrying a firearm? No, but I bet you the need to use your weapon has a much slighter chance than being "made".

redneck2
April 14, 2012, 08:31 AM
I go into Chicago every few weeks on business. My wife, daughter, and grand daughter take the train in and shop on Michigan avenue. My oldest daughter lived by Wrigley for years and never had a problem. Rode the El every day.

Chicago is no worse, and probably a lot better than most other large cities. The vast majority of shootings are people that live in the ghettos and deal drugs. West and particularly and SW sides.

If you stay north of the Sears Tower and east of I-94 (Dan Ryan Expy) you'll be fine if you don't do something real stupid. Also, take a cab. They're dirt cheap.

x_wrench
April 14, 2012, 08:34 AM
i would leave it home. if your employer finds out, you will be looking for a new job. if the police find out, you will be in jail for years. i guess the up side to that is you would not need to worry about a job for a while. use your gut instincts. if you do not feel comfortable in the surroundings, get the heck out of there a.s.a.p

303tom
April 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Do as I do, when in doubt carry a good pig sticker...............

CajunBass
April 14, 2012, 08:50 AM
You're not asking this seriously are you?:confused:

mdauben
April 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
Do as I do, when in doubt carry a good pig sticker...............
Unless you can stick your pig with a folding knife, 2.5 inches or less, you're still breaking the law in Chicago.

mg.mikael
April 14, 2012, 12:20 PM
Chicago is no worse, and probably a lot better than most other large cities. The vast majority of shootings are people that live in the ghettos and deal drugs. West and particularly and SW sides.

As somebody who actually lives in Illinois, unlike most of the folks responding, and lives in a suburb five minutes from the city, oh and goes into the city on a daily basis......I'd say don't worry about the gun and have to agree with the person I quoted. Your staying downtown right, most likely you are so you have little to worry about as most of the crime happens in the surrounding sprawl of the city(particularly the south side) so unless your doing business there I'd say just relax and enjoy seeing the sights.

The REAL danger is the parking in the loop, heck pricing there will cost you an arm and a leg. ;)

Elkins45
April 14, 2012, 02:01 PM
I travel a lot into DC for my job. DC is one of the few places in the nation that rivals Chicago for its anti-2A laws. DC law allows a 3" folding knife, so I check a bag with a knife when flying into DC unless I know I'm going directly to a cab to my hotel and not leaving until I get in a cab back to the airport.

If it bothers you that much then just stay in your hotel the whole time. The random violence almost always happens on the street, schools or workplace. People usually don't shoot up or rob folks in convention or business hotels.

seanie!
April 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
As somebody who actually lives in Illinois, unlike most of the folks responding, and lives in a suburb five minutes from the city, oh and goes into the city on a daily basis......I'd say don't worry about the gun and have to agree with the person I quoted. Your staying downtown right, most likely you are so you have little to worry about as most of the crime happens in the surrounding sprawl of the city(particularly the south side) so unless your doing business there I'd say just relax and enjoy seeing the sights.

The REAL danger is the parking in the loop, heck pricing there will cost you an arm and a leg.

I was wondering when someone local was going to reply. I'm in downtown Chicago all the time at night. One of the times I was there, I carried a diamond engagement ring down Michigan Avenue and proposed to my now-current fiance. I didn't think twice about bringing a gun with, because it is: 1) ILLEGAL! and 2) I wasn't in a high crime area. I always carry a pocket knife, because I just always do.

As stated above, Chicago is no different than any other major city. It has it's bad areas and it's good areas. You should have no problem in any of the tourist-y areas of downtown. Chill out, have fun, and don't break the law. Hell, even if you want to meet for a beer, hit me up.

Nuclear
April 14, 2012, 03:50 PM
I used to live in the suburbs and worked in downtown Chicago. Carrying guns is a big no-no in the city (and state) as far as the law is concerned. I believe pepper spray and a small folding knife are both legal, and batons are not, but you should check the Chicago laws on that. Stay at a good hotel, go to the touristy things when tourists normally go there, eat at some great restaurants and enjoy yourself. The traffic is more of a hazard than crime if you don't go the the bad parts of town. If in doubt, ask at the hotel before you go to a part of town you are not familiar with.

narcoden
April 14, 2012, 07:26 PM
I live in Cook County and wouldn't dare try this, but at your own risk:
http://www.concealcarry.org/owners-say-law-lets-them-tote-guns-in-fanny-packs/

303tom
April 15, 2012, 08:58 AM
Unless you can stick your pig with a folding knife, 2.5 inches or less, you're still breaking the law in Chicago.
When we were there for my sons grad. Navy bootcamp, three days I carried a switchblade, cops never looked at me............

hey_poolboy
April 15, 2012, 10:50 AM
I've always carried just a knife in the windy city. Never had any problems, nor have any of my friends who attended school by Cabrini Green.

Make sure you get some pizza at Lou Malnati's.

shuvelrider
April 15, 2012, 12:07 PM
I,m mandated to carry around my weapon everywhere here in Afghanistan, no problem. You are not mandated to carry your weapon for a quick trip to ChiTown, your boss did not say so, the state law is not allowing you to. So unless you have a Walter Mitty complex hoping to "save the day", leave the thing at home. Just seems like there is a CPL mentality where some can't live without carrying, kinda like a child needing their pacifier when they can go without it.

gixxergreg
April 15, 2012, 12:09 PM
I would buy a good kydex type material knife. If the museums happen to have metal detectors, you'll get right in. I have a couple and they are sharp and strong.

http://knivesandmore.biz/images/210925.jpg

Deanimator
April 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
Don't go anywhere you shouldn't be in Chicago
You mean like north Michigan Ave., the beaches and the Loop?

Most of my relatives who live in Chicago live on the south side, east of State Street. Are you saying I don't "belong there"?

There is NO "safe" place in Chicago apart from inside of Rahm Emmanuel's security cordon.

Deanimator
April 15, 2012, 12:54 PM
and there's some good eats in Chicago
... that are too expensive to enjoy because the parking is likely more expensive than the meal.

There are a lot of neat sights in Pyongyang too. I won't be going there any time soon either.

Deanimator
April 15, 2012, 12:56 PM
Just seems like there is a CPL mentality where they can't live without carrying, kinda like a child needing their pacifier when they can go without it.
When you NEED a firearm, indeed you just might NOT be able to "live without carrying".

Any place that thinks it's better for me to be maimed or murdered than to protect myself, is a place I don't need to be.

shuvelrider
April 15, 2012, 01:38 PM
It comes down to weighing out your option's then, the OP is a big boy and can decide for himself. If that afraid of "infinite scenarios of mayhem", then don't go. OR take the chance and pack the "heater" and no one notices, but if something happens from the "infinite scenarios of mayhem". Now he has to deal with all the legal ramification's of the law, a simple trip to the city has now turned into a legal nightmare. Can he, or is he willing to deal with that?
Not that it matters, but I grew up in Illinois (LaSalle-Peru). Very aware of Chicago's attitude, been up there numerous times also. Enjoy the museum's and other sights.

brickeyee
April 15, 2012, 01:50 PM
Best make sure the "consequences" do not include a felony conviction.

BlkHawk73
April 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
If you're completely willing to accept the responsibility if there's any issues, go ahead and carry. Personally, one the THE biggest aspects of having a carry permit is the responsibility to respect and follow the laws.

ol' scratch
April 15, 2012, 04:12 PM
I also work in Chicago on occation, actually in Englewood, or the south side which is FAR WORSE than Chicago proper. I work in the railyards, which historically are located in the worst parts of town. I would like to carry but don't have permission from my employer or from the authorities. It sucks, but don't break the law. I do carry some devices that could be used in a pinch as improvised weapons (fusee, air gauge, funny chuck of smooth aluminum I found, reverser). If I can make it in ENGLEWOOD (not saying I live there) for short stints, you sure can make it in Chicago.

Onward Allusion
April 15, 2012, 07:18 PM
I lived in that city until my early 20's. I haven't been in that city in about 3+ years. When I go to one of its suburbs I make sure I go around it. Because of the position that I'm in at the company I work, I'm offered tickets to quite a few events in Chicago. I haven't accepted a single one in recent years. The last set of tickets that I'd turned down was for Cubs opening day. I absolutely despise that city and its completely corrupt local government(s). The voters in Chicago and Cook County need to vote the majority of their politicians out to the curb.

Going back to the OP and the other guy who will be visiting the city. DO NOT carry your gun in Chicago under any circumstances. Not even your hotel room because of that State's idiotic Home Rule Law. Forget the baton. It isn't legal there. You might be able to get away with a small knife. I highly recommend having a decent sized canister of OC in a belt holster. As someone else mentioned, a good solid walking stick is a good choice. Use your brains and stick to the well traveled busy areas, and even then you're rolling the dice. At least in the touristy areas, there are slews of LEO's in plainclothes.

As for those who state that it isn't such a bad place....my so-and-so lives, works...visits there.... I can state with fair certainty that your so-and-so will be a victim of crime in that city at some point. I've had my apartment burglarized twice, cars broken into so many times that I can't remember, and have been threaten a number of times to the point where weapons were pulled/drawn. No, I was not a gangbanger or anything remotely close.

Onward Allusion
April 15, 2012, 07:24 PM
hey_poolboy
I've always carried just a knife in the windy city. Never had any problems, nor have any of my friends who attended school by Cabrini Green.

Make sure you get some pizza at Lou Malnati's.

And I went to Orr HS one summer and lived. Didn't even get hassled or anything. I once had to pull a gun on a gang (4 guys) trying to herd my GF and her friend into an alley. In the Lincoln Park / Gold Coast area. It's a roll of the freaking dice. As for Lou Malnati - they got their restaurants in the burbs.

langenc
April 15, 2012, 07:30 PM
To the original question--

DONT

The place is corrupt and they are kept in office by the largest Polish gathering in the country-Democrat thru and thru. They figure it is better than the Communists they fled from. I guess.

Art Eatman
April 15, 2012, 08:32 PM
Bottom line: Obey the law. Be judicious about where you go, and when--and, apparently, take a cab as a general measure of safety.

razorback2003
April 15, 2012, 10:17 PM
Stay in a suburb and leave your gun in the hotel and ride the train into Chicago proper. Or take a cab. Just have your gun unloaded and in the trunk when you drive in Illinois.

mg.mikael
April 16, 2012, 02:04 AM
To the original question--

DONT

The place is corrupt and they are kept in office by the largest Polish gathering in the country-Democrat thru and thru. They figure it is better than the Communists they fled from. I guess.

While I don't know what has to do with the OP's question or why your bad mouthing Polish people, everbody already knows Chicago is corrupt so theres no need to state the obvious.

To the OP, take it from someone who live a stone's throw away from Chicago all their life. Relax, see the sights, and have some fun. Your a tourist so theres no need for you to worry about Chicago's corruptness. (We all know it's there especially those who live in the city or nearby, but unless you have plans to run against Emmanuel you shouldn't concern yourself with this. ;))

Stay in a suburb and leave your gun in the hotel and ride the train into Chicago proper. Or take a cab. Just have your gun unloaded and in the trunk when you drive in Illinois.

Since the OP is taking a business trip, I'd advise against the gun and staying out in the suburbs. Becasue then you have to deal with other suburban gun laws and then you have to commute. That would mean taking a long bus ride to a CTA station and then riding that into the 'loop'. Just by doing this you'd be putting youself more at risk then if you just stayed downtown in the first place. So again, just relax and enjoy the trip.

Carl Levitian
April 16, 2012, 11:33 AM
" Just seems like there is a CPL mentality where some can't live without carrying, kinda like a child needing their pacifier when they can go without it."

Totally agree!

This is why makes me sometimes embarrassed to be a gun owner. To be associated with people like this. Suck it up and go to Chicago and have a good time. Do your job. Unbelievable as it may seem, millions and millions of people everyday, go about their business in Chicago, New York city, Washington D.C. and other places while not carrying a gun, and not having any trouble at all. It seems that on this and other gun forums, the gun becomes more than a pacifier, but some sort of bolster for the ego and manhood until they are afraid to go without. A crutch for the weak of ego and spirit.

I like guns as much as the next guy, and go shooting once sometimes twice a week. But I do't let the gun rule my life. If there's a place I want to go that is a no gun place, so be it. I'd rather go and travel and see new sights than live in some little glass cage with my gun. This guy is even asking if we think he should break the law. I really don't know why posts like this are not closed quick. It's an insult to gun owners, and potential ammo for the Brady bunch if they stumble across it. Grow up, even in grade school, you learned to leave your toys at home.

Carl.

shuvelrider
April 16, 2012, 12:09 PM
Very well spoken, +1

VancMike
April 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
My daughter and SIL lived in Chicago for 10 years, and we visited often. The geographical advise given above is wise.

Use common sense about where and when to go. Most residents of Chicago are some of the nicest people in the world......they love to help out-of-town visitors and are invariably friendly. I've walked into bars, been treated drinks and had great conversations, just because I'm a "west-coaster."

Deanimator
April 16, 2012, 05:32 PM
Grow up, even in grade school, you learned to leave your toys at home.
Maryland laws... and attitudes are pretty much the same as they are in Illinois. Rights aren't really rights, just privileges that can be bought and sold.

And the life of a mere citizen isn't worth a bucket of warm spit. If you can't afford bodyguards, you don't matter anyway...

If you enjoyed reading about "Overnight trip to Chicago" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!