1891 Mauser barrel

PDA

crazysccrmd
April 14, 2012, 02:42 AM
Where can I find replacement barrels for an 1891 Mauser in different chamberings? Thinking about rechambering one in something else with a .473" case head and similar pressure levels but can't find barrels for sale anywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "1891 Mauser barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
April 14, 2012, 03:04 AM
Lot of it depends if it's small ring or large ring. I've hear Remington take off barrels are small ring compatible.

Edarnold
April 14, 2012, 03:17 AM
Midway has two lines of barrels for the small-ring Mausers,in calibers from .257 Roberts to 6.5x55 Swedish and 7x57. Look for the Series 2 listings.

Gunnerboy
April 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
I may have a m93 21in 7x57 barrel laying around for sale if thats what your looking for, if so PM me and let me know ill dig it out and send pics.

rcmodel
April 14, 2012, 01:18 PM
The terms large ring or small ring doesn't relate too well to the 91 Argentine, or any other 93, 94, 95, or 96 Mauser.

They are all small ring thread size, but slightly different shank length then a 98 small ring barrel.

So, regardless of what it is for, it isn't going to fit a 91 without some lathe work.

And if you are going to do that?

Any new barrel blank will fit after you cut the right threads and chamber it for the cartridge of your choice.

rc

crazysccrmd
April 14, 2012, 02:20 PM
From what I've read 91s have a different ring diameter and threading than 'standard' small ring receivers. If possible I'd like to find a barrel that is already the same thread and doesn't require lathe work.

lathedog
April 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
Even if you just screw an existing, different caliber, used barrel into your action, you may need to adjust headspace by either set-back or by deepening the chamber, depending on which way things turn out. Then you might find out the barrel does not shoot well.

There is enough work involved to justify buying a new barrel, I think. Check Brownell's or MidwayUSA. They have new small ring thread short-chambered budget barrels for around $100. A Shilen will cost you about $200.

Check the Kunhausen book before you do anything.

crazysccrmd
April 14, 2012, 03:17 PM
I'm fairly certain a small ring barrel can't fit a 91 action, am I wrong? I understand it isn't just a simple screw it in and shoot idea but was hoping to find a barrel that would fit without additional work to resize or rethread. I'm wanting to find a smaller caliber with lighter recoil (wife) that has a ~.473 case head to avoid having to rework the bolt head

rcmodel
April 14, 2012, 04:56 PM
See post #5 where I already answered that question.

rc

dirtyjim
April 15, 2012, 06:33 PM
most aftermarket small ring barrels are cut for the 93-95 and can be used on a 91 by setting the shoulder back .060". the threads on a 91 are also supposed to be .005 larger than a 93-95 but barrel and action threads vary enough from barrel to barrel and action to action that i don't think it makes much difference.

i prefer to cut the threads to fit the action instead of using a pre-threaded aftermarket barrel.
i have a 91 project rifle with a heavy 22-250 barrel that i'm thinking for rebarreing to 300 savage using a remington 722 takeoff barrel since i just happen to have several of them and i think a light handy sporter would make more sense on a 91 action than a bull barrel varmint gun. i only have $100 tied up in it as it sits.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/dirtyjim/sporters/91argie.jpg

crazysccrmd
April 15, 2012, 06:46 PM
Isn't the 22-250 a little powerful for the 91 action? I could be remembering wrong but I thought the 22-250 is almost 10k PS I higher in pressure.

dirtyjim
April 15, 2012, 07:35 PM
i don't consider it to powerfull but others do. the 91 is the only small ring action i would build a 22-250 on.

If you enjoyed reading about "1891 Mauser barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!