1847 Walker About Nipples and Taps

PDA

Lakewood57
April 14, 2012, 04:50 PM
I have a 1847 Walker and the other day while cleaning I decided to remove the nipples and clean around the threads They did not wish to unscrew very easy.

And was wondering is there a tap to clean out the cylinder threads Or even should you. And if so where would be a good place to attain one of these taps. I know I can get nipples from Uberti.

Or is there others that know a better way

If you enjoyed reading about "1847 Walker About Nipples and Taps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Peter M. Eick
April 14, 2012, 04:55 PM
Odd. My Uberti Walker comes right apart easily. Do you put anti-seize on the nipples prior to installation?

mykeal
April 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
The Uberti Walker uses Unified National Fine 1/4x28 threads for nipple holes. A UNF 1/4x28 tap should be available from any decent hardware or automotive supply store.

However, using a tap to clean threads is a bit extravagant money-wise. I'd just get a 1/4x28 bolt or machine screw, give the threads a goot coat of solvent or cleaner and screw it in. Should do just as good a job and without danger of damaging that expensive tap.

If you enjoyed reading about "1847 Walker About Nipples and Taps" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!