Euroarms .36 Navy .380s too small

PDA

brushhippie
April 15, 2012, 10:42 AM
I have a pair of Euroarms Remmy Navy's .36s and after waiting for weeks on the mold (backorder) the .380 RBs are too small, that leaves me with ordering a .390 mold and hoping they are not too big for the barrel, anybody have experience with these? Are the .390s going to be too big?

If you enjoyed reading about "Euroarms .36 Navy .380s too small" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Skinny 1950
April 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
I have a couple of 1851 Navy reproductions in .36 cal. and use a .375 mold and the balls fit great. Are you sure your guns are .36 cal. not .44 ???

brushhippie
April 15, 2012, 11:45 AM
They've got .36 printed on the side of the barrel. I think .385 would be just about right, unfortunately they dont make that one.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
April 15, 2012, 02:01 PM
Measure the chambers and tell me what they are.

Prairie Dawg
April 15, 2012, 02:06 PM
Track of the wolf stocks .389 & .395.
Why not buy some & then get the mold that fits.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/127/1/BALL-520
--Dawg

brushhippie
April 15, 2012, 03:35 PM
I dont have a mic but after further inspection someone has opened the cylinders up and about ground the rifling out of the barrel......someone passed this off as a good shooter....dont trust anyone.

Plastikosmd
April 15, 2012, 03:50 PM
wow! that really stinks. can u get your money back?

brushhippie
April 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
Nah this things been owned by two other people who never shot it since the original trade but I assure you Im gonna find out who he is, he's supposed to be a machinist....he machined it alright.

bubba15301
April 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
he probably want to shoot shot out of it andtried to make it pattern when it did not he pawned it off on someone else

brushhippie
April 15, 2012, 04:45 PM
Im thinking thats about all its good for now bubba.

BHP FAN
April 15, 2012, 05:01 PM
it should still shoot, if you can get balls to fit.

J-Bar
April 15, 2012, 05:09 PM
I would make sure the person from whom you obtained this gun knows about its condition, and knows why you will never deal with them again, and knows why you will pass his name around as an example of someone to avoid.

It won't get your money back, but you will get some measure of satisfaction knowing that he will have fewer victims in the future.

...And I would advise looking down the barrel of anything you plan to buy in the future. If the seller won't pull the wedge, he is giving you some valuable info right there.

Prairie Dawg
April 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
Or bring a muzzleloader's bore light with you.
It drops down the bore.
--DAwg

Hellgate
April 16, 2012, 01:45 AM
I've got two Euroarms 36 cal Remington Navies. On all the Euroarms I've owned (5 in 44 and 2 in 36cal) all have the chamber mouths beveled slightly for about 1/10". You will not get a shaved ring of lead when you ram the ball: it gets swaged. A .380 ball works great in my two older Remington Euroarms Navies. Both have shallow rifling as does my similar vintage (1970s) Uberti 1861 Navy. So, the riflings may not be drilled out, they could just be very shallow which, I assume, was standard on the earlier replicas. All my later vintage C&Bs have deeper rifling. Once you ram the .380 ball down into the chamber it should snug up just fine. Mine sure do. The balls drop into the chambers deeper than an untapered chamber mouth but mine do not migrate forward upon recoil ("ball creep"). If the .380s slip out of the chambers then the chambers may have been reamed for a better fit of the actual bore to get better accuracy and the solution would be a larger ball. Ram a ball into a chamber, pull the nipple and tap it back out and mike it to see what the diameter is. I didn't read where you have loaded and shot the gun yet so forgive me if I am making assumptions on things you have already done. Also if you cast with harder alloy the balls will be a little larger in diameter. BP molds are sized to throw the proper stated diameter with pure, soft lead.

brushhippie
April 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
I have two of them one a 72 and the other 73, the 72 in the one with the oversized cylinders and Im wondering if the bore wasnt rusty and cleaned up at some point. I fired the .380s through it yesterday and no bueno. Im gonna get a buddy of mine slug the barrel and mic the cylinders, more than likely Ill just order the .390 mold....kinda sucks I was wanting a pair....pairs dont shoot different size balls!

If you enjoyed reading about "Euroarms .36 Navy .380s too small" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!