Type 01 FFL for collecting


Zeke Menuar
February 16, 2004, 10:40 AM
I already have a C&R license. This morning while sipping and surfing I did some research on a regular Type 01 FFL. The costs and recordkeeping involved really didn't seem as bad as some folks make it out to be. So I ask the question, is there anyone out there that has a Type 01 FFL but doesn't necessarily use it to make money? Are using it to expand your collection?
There are some guns out there that are milsurps or are just stuff I want in my collection that don't fall under my C&R license. I also don't want to pay the dealers fee everytime I want a non-C&R gun. I would like to hear your views on this.


If you enjoyed reading about "Type 01 FFL for collecting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Greg L
February 16, 2004, 10:43 AM
From what I've heard unless you have a place of business (with regular business hours) & plan to use the FFL to conduct business then it probably isn't going to be approved.


February 16, 2004, 10:51 AM
You have to open a business, whether or not in your home, to sell guns. You need local/state licenses, zoning, firearms storage, insurance, tax records, etc. ATF also monitors your firearms sales and if you do not sell enough guns to satisfy them, they revoke your license. ATF purposely tries to make things harder on 01-FFLs in residences.

I used to have the 01-FFL and gave it up. Stick with the C&R.

February 16, 2004, 08:18 PM
The type 01 FFL is for those who are "engaged in the business" of dealing in firearms. It is specifically NOT intended for those who merely wish to enhance their own collection. If you get the license and don't make an honest effort to run your business as a business, don't be surprised when the ATF yanks your license after your first compliance inspection.

Zeke Menuar
February 16, 2004, 09:17 PM
Hmm........Guess I'll have to go to Plan "B"


February 16, 2004, 09:41 PM
Getting a type 01 or 02 FFL to enhance a personal collection is prohibited.

It says so right on the application forms.

February 17, 2004, 07:52 AM
Several years ago, I contacted my congress critter and asked/suggested the possibility of creating a "collectors" FFL in addition to the C&R FFL. This would permit the collector to purchase any firearm and have it shipped to his house. My argument was that since we already had a license and had to maintain records and could not act as a "dealer" with the C&R FFL, it made no sense not to let us buy modern weapons for our collection.

At the time, both were antis. Think I'll give it a whirl past my new congress critters and see what they say.

March 7, 2004, 01:58 AM
That would rule!

March 7, 2004, 08:53 AM
That would be cool.I'd even go with a "must keep in collection for a____ period of time before disposition."That would decrease the dealing aspect of it.:)

March 7, 2004, 02:39 PM
I've had the same thought as Hkmp5sd ... maybe call this a Type 05 FFL (don't know why there's not a Type 05 FFL now ... there's a 01-04 and a 06-11 but no type 05 ... weird)

At any rate, this could be one of those little things we can do to expand gun rights that the antis might not be opposed too ... only downside could be that someday they will probably make such a license required to own firearms ... then they start rounding 05 FFL holders up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Type 01 FFL for collecting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!