Ruger MKII Firing 2-3 round bursts?

PDA

Et tu Bluto
April 16, 2012, 06:44 PM
I could use some advice....got an older Ruger MKII Gov't model...been shooting it a great deal lately. I have never had any problems, other than I shot it till the sights fell off, literally. Okay thougb, I wanted to put a fiber optic set on...Anyway, the last time I shot it, I would have 2-3 round bursts about half way through a magazine...it was just cleaned thoroughly. Anybody know what I need to do....?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger MKII Firing 2-3 round bursts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TurtlePhish
April 16, 2012, 06:45 PM
Did you put all the parts back in the right way? Maybe try disassembling and reassembling it. Try different ammo.

x_wrench
April 16, 2012, 06:58 PM
I am just guessing here, because it has been a long time since i sold my mk2. But my best guess would be that either the firing pin is gummed up, or, the firing pin (or groove) has a burr in it someplace. Fwiw, i figured out how to make my current 22 auto loading pistol a full auto with no real, or permanent modification. And it is quickly reversed, in less than 5 seconds!

mgregg85
April 16, 2012, 07:00 PM
I am just guessing here, because it has been a long time since i sold my mk2. But my best guess would be that either the firing pin is gummed up, or, the firing pin (or groove) has a burr in it someplace. Fwiw, i figured out how to make my current 22 auto loading pistol a full auto with no real, or permanent modification. And it is quickly reversed, in less than 5 seconds!

Unless you happen to have the appropriate liscense to manufacture a class 3 weapon, I kinda doubt it, I wouldn't brag about that on the Internet. And is a full auto .22 worth 10 years of your life?

Rollis R. Karvellis
April 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
If cleaning doesn't fix it call Ruger they will. Also follow mgregg85's advice.

Et tu Bluto
April 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
It was the first time I used "Blazer" ammo, I'll clean it up again and try some different ammo. The pistol has a light trigger pull, easy to double tap anyway, but it was firing 2-3 rounds unpredictably...a bit disconcerting!

bigfatdave
April 16, 2012, 07:51 PM
I had a similar MALFUNCTION, in a mkIII - it wasn't repeatable or reliable, it just fired an extra round once in a while. I am comfortable with stripping that gun down to a bare frame and re-assembling, so I did my own troubleshooting of the fire-control machinery.

My malfunction was caused by a damaged sear pivot pin, I suspect that the sear/hammer engagement was so weak that it jarred off when the bolt slammed into battery, dropping the hammer, firing the round, and re-cocking the hammer. It actually took a while to figure out, recoil & report was odd and the magazine emptied too quickly, but you really wouldn't notice multiple reports, it was all within the echo on the indoor range.

Ruger sent me a new sear pin VERY FAST - and I got the impression that they would fix it rapidly if I wasn't comfortable with the replacement, but there wasn't much point as I had a bunch of drop-in replacement parts on hand and the gun torn down for replacing various stuff anyway - I just swapped the sear pin while I was at it.

I'm sure that mgregg is talking about some kind of bumpfire assist device, I can think of a couple ways to accomplish such a goal, the only barrier would be mounting the external device. Bumpfire is not full auto, so the BATFEIEIO doesn't care (at least not officially or in a way that matters)

BCRider
April 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
When you cleaned it did you take out the firing pin and spring? There's a little anchor piece that the spring pushes against. If you put it in the wrong way the FP could be jamming in the forward position. Or maybe the spring slipped off the hook on the FP so it's not under spring tension. THe FP on the Ruger is pretty big. It COULD have enough energy to fire the round simply from chambering if the spring isn't holding it back.

So take the bolt out but before you push out the pin that allows you to remove the FP spring and spring tab check to ensure the FP is both under spring control and that it moves easily with a snappy retraction and without any noticable drag.

Most common field strip cleanings don't really do anything about removing and cleaning the FP channel in the bolt. So if you have only wiped down the outside of the bolt assembly as a whole and not detail stripped the bolt assembly look it up on You Tube or the online Ruger help.

Blue68f100
April 16, 2012, 10:16 PM
Check the sear spring, too while your detail cleaning it.

dprice3844444
April 16, 2012, 10:46 PM
ship it to ruger service for repair with an explanation of the problem
Customer Service - Newport, NH Customer Service - Prescott, AZ
Service inquires for Shotguns, Revolvers, 22 Charger Pistols
and all Rifles except PC4/PC9 Carbines.

Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.
Customer Service Department
411 Sunapee Street
Newport, NH 03773

Telephone: 603-865-2442 / Fax: 603-863-6165
(Monday through Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm EST)

Blue68f100
April 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
If you have any after market parts installed you will need to return it back to original and/or request them back if replaced. Other wise Ruger will keep them. They are required to put it back to Factory spec before it can be returned.

oneounceload
April 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
When my MKII went full auto, and jammed, the extractor was found to be missing - a trip back to Ruger fixed everything with an admonition - do not use the slide stop as a slide release - not sure whether that was part of the issue or not -but I haven't had an issue since

243winxb
April 17, 2012, 06:48 PM
Do not lube the hammer/sear engagement. Clean with isopropyl alcohol 91%. Unless you happen to have the appropriate liscense to manufacture a class 3 weapon, I kinda doubt it, I wouldn't brag about that on the Internet. And is a full auto .22 worth 10 years of your life?
:D :D

amflyer
April 18, 2012, 09:05 AM
Don't rule out an inadvertent bump fire.

Old Fuff
April 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
One negative in an otherwise excellent design is that the hammer does not have a half-cock notch or ledge to stop it if it follows down. If this is happening there could be a number of reasons, but I would return the pistol to Ruger and let them deal with it. As it is now the gun is not safe to fire.

Kernel
April 23, 2012, 11:15 PM
The pistol has a light trigger pull

That probably means something. A friend put a Volquartsen trigger in his MkII. Nice light trigger, but he soon had issues with doubling. Put the factory trigger back in, problem went away.

Blue68f100
April 24, 2012, 09:12 AM
If you have not detailed striped the gun for inspection do so. It may be something very simple. Pin's have been know to break from time to time as well as springs. Then a dirty gun can cause things to stick too.

Drail
April 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
If someone attempts to perform a "trigger job" on a Mk II and goes just a little too far this happens a lot. I have been able to get MK II triggers down to 2 lbs. or less using the stock factory parts and the first thing I ran into was the thumb safety will no longer hold the sear tightly against the hammer. But I have never had one go full auto or even double/triple with one pull of the trigger. Your best bet is to put the stock parts back in the gun or have a knowledgable smith who has experience with MK IIs do the "trigger job" over again with good parts.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger MKII Firing 2-3 round bursts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!