Who makes the best 357 revolver?

PDA

colbysdad
April 16, 2012, 09:05 PM
I just got home from a local gun shop and find myself more confused than ever. I walked in looking for a good 357 in a four inch barrel. Mainly for my personal carry . I have shot shorter barrels and just don't like the feel, sight plain, or that extra kick. After looking at most of their brands and listening to the salesperson, I'm more confused than ever. So , I'm asking for your advice again. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes the best 357 revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hardluk1
April 16, 2012, 09:10 PM
Dan wesson 15-2 series. But you may really want a ruger sp101 for carry. Enought weight for control build like a tank.

rcmodel
April 16, 2012, 09:14 PM
In alphabetical order:
Astra, Charter Arms, Colt, Dan Wesson, Korth, Rossi, Ruger, & S&W.

It depends on who you ask.

Of the old line makers, nobody can argue that Colt & S&W made the finest .357 revolvers ever made in the USA for many many years.
Years ago.

Today?
Quality is a crap shoot from everyone that still makes revolvers.

But was it me, there are only two brands I would even consider buying.

That would be S&W, or Ruger.

rc

wrs840
April 16, 2012, 09:15 PM
...you may really want a ruger sp101 for carry. Enought weight for control build like a tank.
One man's "built like a Tank" is another man's "heavy and clunky".

I like a lot of Ruger products, and I've tried hard to like Ruger DA Revolvers, even a Security Six, but just can't.

Zundfolge
April 16, 2012, 09:17 PM
For carry, you can get a S&W Model 60 with a 3" barrel in .357mag (then you get the small J Frame with a little longer barrel).

I have a Dan Wesson 14-2 (same as the 15-2 only without the adjustible rear sight) in 2-1/2" barrel that carries and shoots nicely.

Another option for a small 3" revolver is a Ruger SP101.

If you really want a 4", you can find a K or L frame S&W with round butt and a 4" barrel and it should carry nicely enough.

EDITED TO ADD: K frame would be a Model 13, 19, 65 or 66 and an L frame would be a 586 or 686 (just realised that not everyone has their S&W frame sizes memorised :p )

Of course if you can handle the size, the N Frame 8-shot .357 would make a bitchin (but giant and heavy) carry piece. Not sure I'd recommend going IWB with that.

Redneck with a 40
April 16, 2012, 09:18 PM
If I were going to buy a .357, it would be a 3" SP-101, compact and built like a tank.

9mmepiphany
April 16, 2012, 09:19 PM
If I were starting out again, but I had the knowledge I've gained over the years about carrying a revolver for defensive purposes, here is how I would rank them...in the 4" barrel lenght:

1. Ruger Speed-Six
2. Dan Wesson 15-2
3. S&W M-66
4. S&W M-65

I've carried a 4" Colt Python as a off-duty gun and don't recommend it as it is a bit bulky...the same would apply to the S&W 686

ColtPythonElite
April 16, 2012, 09:29 PM
If I could only have one .357, it would be a Colt King Cobra. One famous gunsmith has been quoted as saying it was/is the strongest mid-frame DA revolver made.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=162873&stc=1&d=1334622516

Byrd666
April 16, 2012, 09:32 PM
I agree with rcmodel, Ruger or Smith. I have owned both and still own a Smith 66 2.5" rnd butt .357 mag. and consider it to be my "always and forever" weapon.

I will say though, for a more inexpensive 4", you might look at the Taurus 66 series. I have a 66B4 .357 7rnd and have been nothing but pleased with it. I really guess I just got lucky with this one.

But, overall I'd still say Ruger first and Smith second with Taurus a Very distant third.

jad0110
April 16, 2012, 09:46 PM
For me, a 4" .357 revolver isn't hard to carry at all with a good holster and gun belt. As for the revolver, I'd look for a medium frame version, specifically a S&W K Frame or Ruger Six Series. Neither are in production these days, so you'll have to search Pawn Shops, Gun Shows, Gunbroker, classifieds, etc. These guns are ideal for carry because they have full sized grip frames and 4" barrels without the bloated flabiness of today's models like the S&W L Frame and Ruger GP.

I will say though, for a more inexpensive 4", you might look at the Taurus 66 series. I have a 66B4 .357 7rnd and have been nothing but pleased with it. I really guess I just got lucky with this one.

Good suggestion as well. Unlike some Taurus models that seem to be more problematic, their 66 (and older 669s) are generally very highly regarded. I regret selling my 6" 66 5 years ago. If it passes inspection, a 4" Taurus 66 or 669 would be a good option.

Here are some viable candidates with 4" barrels in .357 Magnum:

Rugers

Security Six: Adj sights, square butt frame
Police Service Six: fixed sights, square butt
Speed Six: fixed sights, round butt (actually not sure if these came in 4" or not)

S&W K Frames

Model 13: blued, fixed sights
Model 19: blued, adj sights
Model 65: stainless, fixed sights
Model 66: stainless, adj sights

The S&Ws will generally be a bit more refined with slicker triggers, while the Rugers are more durable (a good choice for shooting a lot of .357). The K Frames will do fine with 158 grain magnums, but stay away from hot mags under about 135 grains.

Here's a few pics to give you some ideas:

Ruger Police Service Six

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Ruger%20Service%20Six%20357%20Magnum/DSC00505.jpg

S&W Model 13, 3" (also made in 4")

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2013%20357%20Magnum/DSC07829.jpg

S&W Model 19

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2019/DSC07347.jpg

S&W Model 66 (2.5", also made in 4")

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2066%20357%20Magnum/DSC07792.jpg

dusty14u
April 16, 2012, 09:49 PM
For carry I like these two. The Chiappa Rhino has replaced the SP101 for the most part because of it concealabilty , faster followup shots and 1 more round than the SP101. The SP101 is a very good carry gun also and will handle the toughest magnum rounds if you can. The Rhino feels like you are shooting powder puff 38SP target loads with the stiffest magnum rounds and I shoot it more accurately out of the two.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/dusty14u/GEDC0468.jpg

beeenbag
April 16, 2012, 10:06 PM
I would have to say a smith and wesson 686 is top notch in the .357 world. I have a Colt trooper I like awful well that I would throw in the ring.

jungle
April 16, 2012, 10:20 PM
Current production? Ruger GP100 or SP101 depending on the size you want to carry. Still lots of nice old Smiths out there though.

A lot of it depends on whether you really want to shoot a lot of .357 ammo or not and the exact size of your hand.

Josh45
April 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
I have to say that I like and enjoy my Ruger GP-100 3' .357 Mag.
It can handle all sorts of loads quite. I don't care much for the DA trigger on it but the SA trigger is pretty good IMO.

I never got to shoot a S&W but I did dry fire one as the salesperson allowed it and I have to say they do have some sweet smooth triggers on them. That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with a Ruger or a S&W really.

MrDig
April 16, 2012, 10:33 PM
Current production I would say Smith and Wesson and Ruger

Tony_the_tiger
April 16, 2012, 11:06 PM
That would be S&W, or Ruger.

This!

I'd buy another Gp100 or an Sp101 in a heartbeat.

If I wanted a S&W, I'd likely buy a vintage combat magnum model 19 or model 66 on gunbroker.

FMF Doc
April 16, 2012, 11:10 PM
I find 4" a little large for personal carry other than the woods, but if it must be 4", then the ruger service 6 is hard to beat. If you really want to go big, the 686P comes in a 4" with 7 shots! Personally, I find the 3" Model 60 or Ruger SP101 in 3" barrel to be the best size. Small enough to carry, big enough to shoot.

Confederate
April 16, 2012, 11:28 PM
Based on what you stated as a criteria, you're looking for a Ruger SP-101. It's a peach to carry and doesn't break your wrist when you're shooting full throttle magnum rounds. For general home use, I recommend a S&W 13/65, 19/66 or Speed-, Service- or Security-Six. The modern "medium frame" revolvers are too heavy in my view, especially the Rugers. The Smith 686, though, is a great gun, probably the best made. It's just heavy. The modern guns are good range guns, but lousy camping/hiking guns.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Rugers_357.jpg

The SP-101 (top) and Speed-Six are both outstanding guns,
but the SP-101 is clearly smaller.

rikman
April 16, 2012, 11:32 PM
Quality these days crap shoot. I love S&W & Ruger. They are tools and do break. As a matter of fact I had a very expensive S&W break within days...but, herein lies the difference....S&W to their credit, fixed it and turned it back to me inside of a week, and my cost was zero.That's service. If budget is a big consideration I'd go with a S&W 686 or Ruger Gp100 in 4" ....great guns!

shoot safe

dprice3844444
April 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
make sure they have a minimum of 6 shot capability

gym
April 16, 2012, 11:42 PM
I like the S&W model 19, the older ones. Or for 38's I started with a Detective special. in 1972, and shot that gun very well, also the model 60 carried for 20 years. I haven't kept up with revolvers the last 7 or 8 years. So these new Rhinos look interesting also, but since I never fired one I don't know. I sold my last 38+p titanium alloy Taurus, and ended my revolver career. there really is no place for them in my life other for nostalgia, and they are geat looking older guns. If you hunt Those large Rugers are the way to go with a scope, or I have become friends with a secretive 30's young guy who buys and sells large caliber high powered revolvers,He was friends with another friend who has a gun store in town. He gave me his number if I ever wanted something out of the ordinary.He had a 460 with a scope at least a 2,500 dollar setup, and I have seen several 50's set up with top of the line glass, but it's not my thing.He's in FL though.

miles1
April 17, 2012, 12:13 AM
Based on my limited knowledge I would go either Ruger GP100 or SW 686.

bikemutt
April 17, 2012, 12:13 AM
Since your OP title says "who makes" I'll assume you mean who is still making them today. For a 4" .357 magnum that probably boils it down to S&W and Ruger in the "best" category. If you decide you don't want a gun with a lock that pretty much rules out S&W.

In any event, both of these are the staple of most gun ranges at the rental counter. You can find out for yourself which one you like best for a nominal fee before you buy.

If it were I going to buy only one current production 4" .357 magnum tomorrow it would be a S&W 686 because the only thing I like less about the S&W compared to the Ruger is the lock; I've gotten over the lock.

Now if you are willing to look at yesteryear's guns, that opens up a whole "new" world. I'd vote for a S&W N-frame, preferably a 28-2 so there's money left to make the action feel like Darigold butter :)

22-rimfire
April 17, 2012, 12:20 AM
I stay confused. I would buy a 357 mag revolver that fits with your purpose. Small and light for carry; larger and heavier or range shooting or hunting, or simply get one of each. I personally would not carry a 4" medium frame 357 unless I was a LEO.

April 17, 2012, 12:21 AM
My Ruger SP101 (2) is one of my favorite guns. Shot great right out of the box. But, when I got it, it was sharp as all get out. After a lot of work on the bench, it's a lot easier to shoot.

2zulu1
April 17, 2012, 12:25 AM
'Makes' to me means present tense, that boils down to Ruger and S&W. I like really nice triggers and the 'slimness' of forged frames so that leaves S&W. I've carried M28/19/66 back in the day and I like the M686P 4" with a Performance Center trigger/action job. The 686P/4" weighs the same as a steel 1911 Government, but the M327 TRR8 weighs in at 35oz and is what I carry at my very rural living location. :)

skidder
April 17, 2012, 12:37 AM
S&W 19/66 or Ruger Six Series. IMO the K-frame and Six series are the perfect size for general purpose carry (outside of concealed). With that said I had more problems with my 66 than I did my Six series revolvers. If I had to choose between the two I would go with the Six Series, solely on the basis of durability.
I've heard really good things about Colt, but having never owned one, my opinion there ain't worth jack.

AJMBLAZER
April 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
As others have said your needs are ill defined.

I personally wouldn't carry a fullsize .357 revolver but I wouldn't carry my fullsize 1911 .45 either. More compact weapons are available in powerful chamberings.

That said, if I were able to carry a six shot .357 or just wanted a decent one I'd...

...oh wait, I did this a few months back.:D

Looked all over and had around $500 to spend. Wanted something tough and reliable that I didn't have to worry about shooting powerful rounds through. Ended up with a short list.

New was going to be a Ruger GP-100 in either a 3" or 4". 3" would give it an edge for carry I probably wouldn't do but did look sexier. GP100's have a reputation for being built like a tank and taking the heaviest loads out there all day. 180gr or 200gr Buffallo Bore and Double Tap? Bring it on!

Used was also a GP100, a N frame S&W, or a Ruger Service/Single Six.

Smith had the classic coolness and the Service/Singe Six also had the classic part along with smaller size and Ruger "built like a tank" virtue.

In the end I found a nice used 4" S&W Model 28-3 Highway Patrolman and it has a place of pride in my sock drawer awaiting range time and backup "bump in the night" duties.

Frank V
April 17, 2012, 03:57 PM
Shoot, I might as well jump in here too.

Not sure what is meant by a full size .357, a Highway Patrol, mod. 27???? those are full size. For years I carried a S&W mod. 19 & it was comfortable. Remember what Clint Smith said. A handgun should be comforting not comfortable.

Even the big guns can be carried comfortably with proper leather, yes I said leather. Simply Rugged makes exellent holsters that will allow you to carry a gun relatively comfortable all day. www.simplyrugged.com I'm not affiliated in any way except using them.

My pick for today would be the S&W mod. 19, 66, 13, 65, the Ruger Speed & Police six. I would stay away from those with underlugs unless you went to the Python (it's actually the old Colt .41 frame) underlugs add weight & really serve no useful purpose (I expect to be disagreed with here) but I still feel I'm correct. At least for me. If I'm going for more weight, I'll add a bigger frame & caliber!

I'd probably want a smaller gun for summer where usually only a shirt is worn, though if you wear a shirt untucked, a larger gun can be carried without detection.

Remember you can use .38 Special target loads for 99% of your practice & small game hunting. It's really fun to shoot in a .357.
Good luck in your search.;)
Frank

colbysdad
April 17, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thank you all for your information. Once again, this web site has helped me make a better decision on my gun buying. Thanks again!

Frank V
April 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Colbysdad

I'm sure we'd all like to know your decision. We've given our ideas. Hope they help you choose just the right gun for YOU!
Frank

Blue Brick
April 17, 2012, 08:56 PM
+1 Ruger

roaddog28
April 17, 2012, 09:18 PM
Opinions vary. Nobody has mentioned single action 357. Alot of great choices. Freedom Arms and Ruger.
As far as a double action. In my opinion the best shooting, carry, balanced and double action trigger is the S&W model 19. Sorry Ruger and Colt folks. But my favorite 357 magnum is my Ruger Police Service Six 4 inch. Same size as a model 19 but stronger. Will handle any sane fact factory 357 magnum round. And the double action trigger will get better with use. Still not a model 19 but close.
Regards,
Howard

L-Frame
April 17, 2012, 09:30 PM
So much personal preference. My all time favorite handgun is the Ruger GP-100 with a 3" barrel and the older style rubber/wood grips. That's my CCW gun. I've owned J's, K's L's (still own a 686) N's, and SP-101's, speed/security sixes, Pythons, King Cobras, DW's, you name it. It's my favorite. With the compact grips I don't find it any harder to conceal than S&W K's or Speed sixes. Just my personal preference and obviously those extra few ozs mean a lot to many people, just not to me. Experiment with carry methods and shoot as many types as you can. It's the only way to know.

Shoot66
April 20, 2012, 06:00 AM
Nobody mentioned Manurhin yet. :)

SabbathWolf
April 20, 2012, 06:28 AM
Another vote for either Ruger or Smith.

Manny
April 20, 2012, 08:04 AM
If I had to tote it, a Ruger SP101 w/ 4" barrel. Far lighter than the 6 shot guns, but still enough weight for controlability and a very trim width due to that 5 shot capacity. I honestly wouldn't want have to carry anything bigger and bulkier than that. YMMV.

marksg
April 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
Another vote for Ruger or smith. I've got a gp100 that i love but might be a little big for CC.

DPris
April 20, 2012, 05:00 PM
All in all, nostalgia aside, and viewing from design, construction, durability, longevity, and materials, Ruger.
Period.
Denis

Missionary
April 20, 2012, 07:21 PM
Greetings
Dan Wesson ! Interchangable barrels that install in an easy 5 minutes. Very strong as DW is one of the few revolvers that hold together in the Silly Wet games. Very accurate as only accuracy wins at Silly Wets. Affordable.. for what many DA revolvers sell for you can have a DW model 15/2 with several barrel length options.
Been a DW owner since 1979 and still have each one in numerous calibers. They are all the same... Excellent.
Mike in Peru

Armed012002
April 20, 2012, 07:52 PM
Comparing Ruger to Smith & Wesson, there isn't much S&W offers compared to Ruger to justify the price. Comparing the two, there's hardly any difference in quality.

In order to stay competitive, S&W has made a lot of cost cutting changes over the years. New S&W revolvers have MIM lockwork and a two piece barrel. They're not finished as nice as they once were. Gone are the days of hand polishing, hand fitting, machined or forged lockwork, pined barrels, recessed cylinders, and hammer mounted firing pins.

Both Ruger and S&W assemble the revolvers from MIM and cast parts. There's almost no fitting involved. Thanks to lawyers, both revolvers ship with heavy trigger pulls.

This isn't to say S&W makes a bad revolver. New S&W revolvers are perfectly suited to the job of shooting thousands of .357 Magnums. However, in my opinion, a S&W is not higher quality than a Ruger thanks to the cost cutting changes made by S&W over the years.

Walking Dead
April 20, 2012, 10:10 PM
I'd look long an hard at the Taurus Model 66. Mines been trouble free and accurate.

SabbathWolf
April 20, 2012, 11:56 PM
Taurus?
lol.....
That's not even close to a Ruger or Smith.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vftq9hNpvBc

Zundfolge
April 21, 2012, 02:34 AM
In order to stay competitive, S&W has made a lot of cost cutting changes over the years. New S&W revolvers have MIM lockwork and a two piece barrel. They're not finished as nice as they once were. Gone are the days of hand polishing, hand fitting, machined or forged lockwork, pined barrels, recessed cylinders, and hammer mounted firing pins.

That's why I'd recommend an old S&W. Ironically you can usually pick up a lightly used old S&W for less than a brand new one that's not made as well. For example a brand spanking new model 27 will set you back around $900, but a vintage pinned & recessed one (that is better made) can be found for around $600 in like new condition.

Guns (especially revolvers) aren't exactly flimsy things. Really no reason to buy brand new as long as you read through Jim March's guide stickied at the top of this forum.

colbysdad
April 21, 2012, 08:51 AM
Thank you for all you help. Once again you gave me great advice. I think the best part of buying any firearm, is looking. Well, I found a older S&W 19-3 in a four inch .Now, all I have to do is spend some time on the range. Thanks again

76shuvlinoff
April 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
Your Smith is a fine choice.

We recently bought the sp101 4.2 for my wife. I did the wolff spring kit with some internal polishing and she loves it. I personally ran 200 38 spcl rds through it without an issue and she has launched over 100 of her own at this point.

This is not a carry piece (she doesn't cc..yet) but her bedside gun. The slightly smaller SP frame and grip fit her well, I just kinda wish it was a six shooter instead of 5 but it works for her and that's the truly important part because "best" is different for everyone.

Armed012002
April 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
The S&W 19-3 is an excellent choice.

herkyguy
April 21, 2012, 03:13 PM
Ruger SP101 - built like a tank and handles the heavy stuff well. I just shot mine yesterday at the local indoor range with 125 grain magnum rounds and was having a blast (literally) until the range guy came and told me of some new policy not allowing magnum ammo at their range since it bothers the 'neighbors.' bummer.

SabbathWolf
April 21, 2012, 07:18 PM
The S&W 19-3 is an excellent choice.

+1

Yep. The mod #19 is a very nice gun.
Good decision.....

rodinal220
April 22, 2012, 12:50 AM
Korth

Retcop
April 22, 2012, 02:52 AM
My choice S&W 686- Plus

cannonballmount
May 10, 2012, 07:52 PM
Personally, I might recommend finding a local shooting range where you can rent or even borrow numerous handguns to test fire. Chances are good that only one will be best for you and keep all shots in the 10 ring.

jeepnik
May 10, 2012, 10:47 PM
Well, I see the Korth was mentioned, but I'll keep it real as few of us can likely afford one.

I have the best. A pre-war M&P that someone converted to a round butt. The thing feels like butter in my hand. The trigger is the second best I have (the best is a S&W 1917). And, the sights are very well regulated.

The round butting removed any collectors value (but I don't collect, and the "collectables" I do have I shoot:neener:). It has most of the original bluing intact.

Yes, I KNOW it isn't a .357 magnum. But, it IS a .357 caliber.:p

harvester
May 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
Used Colt revolvers are still around and most are well made accurate guns that will last a long time.

madstabber
May 11, 2012, 12:10 AM
go with the s&w 627 pro series 8-shot great revolver. I'm in love with mine.

asia331
May 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
Own both a 4.2" GP100 & a 2.25" SP101. The SP101 is the ever-present back-up to a GP100 (or a 1911). I am very happy with both revolvers.

R.W.Dale
May 11, 2012, 12:34 AM
Nobody mentioned Manurhin yet. :)

That would be my vote.

One day I hope to own one of these masterpieces

shiftyer1
May 11, 2012, 01:56 AM
I own 2 ruger revolvers and have no complaints, one double action the other single action.

I love the bluing and the smoothness off the pythons, someday I hope to own one.

CDR_Glock
May 11, 2012, 02:17 AM
Smith and Wesson Model 627. 8 shots.

Mr.454
May 11, 2012, 02:20 AM
^^^^^what he said.

nonseven
May 11, 2012, 03:30 PM
The Chiappa Rhino has replaced the SP101 for the most part because of it concealabilty , faster followup shots and 1 more round than the SP101.

I read a review of the Rhino, and the reviewer said the DA trigger pull wasn't very good. But then I handled one at the recent NRA show in St. Louis, and I thought both the SA and DA trigger was very good. I'm quite interested in the gun now, thinking about picking one up.

mesinge2
May 11, 2012, 03:33 PM
If I were starting out again, but I had the knowledge I've gained over the years about carrying a revolver for defensive purposes, here is how I would rank them...in the 4" barrel lenght:

1. Ruger Speed-Six
2. Dan Wesson 15-2
3. S&W M-66
4. S&W M-65

I've carried a 4" Colt Python as a off-duty gun and don't recommend it as it is a bit bulky...the same would apply to the S&W 686

I would agree with that order myself, but I'd replace the Speed six with a Security six only because I prefer the sights.

gatorjames85
May 11, 2012, 03:36 PM
I went with a 4" stainless GP-100. It is built like a tank and it doesn't feel heavy to me, even when climbing through brush and hiking through the swamps. For CC, I would go with an SP instead.

Bullet Bob
May 11, 2012, 03:39 PM
"nobody can argue that Colt & S&W made the finest .357 revolvers ever made in the USA for many many years"

I disagree. So I guess somebody can. :)

CraigC
May 11, 2012, 03:43 PM
"Best" for what? Not everybody uses the same definition for "best". Obviously, because "best" to me does not involve run-of-the-mill S&W's, Colt, Ruger, Taurus or Rossi at all. "Best" to me means best quality and for that you want a S&W Registered Magnum, Korth, Mannhurin, Freedom Arms and USFA.

For what most folks mean:
New - Ruger
Used - Pre-lock S&W

I really don't care for the .357 as a cartridge but there are some .357 sixguns that strike my fancy. Like older S&W model 19's, 586's, 27's and 28's, Ruger Old Model Blackhawks and SAA's of any flavor. In a new revolver, I don't consider S&W at all.

bluethunder1962
May 11, 2012, 03:44 PM
I have a Rossie and just got a Ruger. Love both. S&W makes a 7 and 8 rd that I would love to getl

mesinge2
May 11, 2012, 03:45 PM
I might throw a Colt Lawman in somewhere that list, 9mmepiphany

C0untZer0
May 13, 2012, 10:31 PM
Korth again

DPris
May 14, 2012, 02:50 AM
The thread has wandered quite a bit.
The title asked who MAKES the BEST .357 revolver.
It doesn't ask what your favorite individual gun is, or anything about out of production guns. :)
Denis

CDR_Glock
June 3, 2012, 02:05 AM
The thread has wandered quite a bit.
The title asked who MAKES the BEST .357 revolver.
It doesn't ask what your favorite individual gun is, or anything about out of production guns. :)
Denis

Older models: Colt

Currently: Ruger (only good one without a built in lock).

clance
June 3, 2012, 02:26 AM
For carry I like these two. The Chiappa Rhino has replaced the SP101 for the most part because of it concealabilty , faster followup shots and 1 more round than the SP101. The SP101 is a very good carry gun also and will handle the toughest magnum rounds if you can. The Rhino feels like you are shooting powder puff 38SP target loads with the stiffest magnum rounds and I shoot it more accurately out of the two.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa119/dusty14u/GEDC0468.jpg

Have to agree with you, I currently own a Rhino and have owned a SP-101. While the SP-101 is a great revolver in it's own rights, it doesn't compare to the Rhino.

The Rhino with 38+P rounds you think you're firing 38 wadcutters so light the recoil and no muzzle flip! With .357s though you know you have a hold of something but muzzle flip and recoil is slight in comparison to other stubnose revolvers of comparible size and weight.

The only draw back that I can see in the Rhino is that it comes with rubber grips instead of nylon or wood. For a carry gun you sure don't want grips that grap your clothing but that is what they put on the Chiappa Rhino, I assume to help tame the felt recoil when firing the gun with full mag loads.

Mr. T
June 3, 2012, 03:14 AM
I would have to say that I would recommend the Ruger GP-100 in this case.

spotch
June 3, 2012, 03:35 AM
I just want to know who makes the best factory trigger in their 357s these days. Performance center smith? 686plus?

mesinge2
June 3, 2012, 09:11 AM
I just want to know who makes the best factory trigger in their 357s these days. Performance center smith? 686plus?
IMO, Older Smiths have better triggers than even the new PC models. I have PC guns and the older S&W revolvers seem lighter and crisper.

CDR_Glock
June 3, 2012, 10:25 AM

Smith and Wesson Non-PC versions have a stiff trigger. I have the Gp100, Pro Series 627 and Performance Center 627. The Performance center is smooth but I give the edge to Ruger from the factory above all currently made revolvers. I had trigger work on my Gp100 and it's almost as smooth as my Colt Python. I had trigger work on my Pro Series 627 and it's now as smooth as the Gp100 was out of the factory (prior to trigger work).

spotch
June 3, 2012, 11:26 AM
Smith and Wesson Non-PC versions have a stiff trigger. I have the Gp100, Pro Series 627 and Performance Center 627. The Performance center is smooth but I give the edge to Ruger from the factory above all currently made revolvers. I had trigger work on my Gp100 and it's almost as smooth as my Colt Python. I had trigger work on my Pro Series 627 and it's now as smooth as the Gp100 was out of the factory (prior to trigger work).
Very interesting (also about the older smith thing mentioned earlier). Especially since the gp100 seems to be a little more affordable.

mesinge2
June 3, 2012, 12:24 PM
The best trigger on any of my revolvers is my Dan Wesson Model 15FB:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/My%20heaters/My357MagDanWessonmodel15FB4.jpg

Followed closely by my 586 (no dash), and my 151 series Sec-6:

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/My%20heaters/MyFavoriteRevolvers16.jpg

My worst trigger was my S&W 629-6 Talo Deluxe, so I sent it in to S&W for their combat revolver package and now its a pretty good trigger but still not as good as my 586 or DW 15FB.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc401/mesinge2/My%20heaters/My44MagnumSWModel629-6DeluxeTaloEdition24.jpg

madstabber
June 3, 2012, 07:07 PM
this one's easy a s&w 627 pro series it is my favorite gun of all time. 4" barrel 8-shots smooth trigger great sights looks great i could go on and on 627 pro you won't regret it

CDR_Glock
June 3, 2012, 08:58 PM
Very interesting (also about the older smith thing mentioned earlier). Especially since the gp100 seems to be a little more affordable.

Hard to beat for 1/2 the cost of a 627 and 1/3 of a Python.

I had my trigger reworked. It's great!

valnar
June 3, 2012, 09:02 PM
Huh, old thread but I'll put my 2 cents in.

Other than a Ruger New Vaquero (I wanted an SAA clone), every revolver I have is a Smith & Wesson. I really see no reason to buy another brand.

Erik M
June 4, 2012, 03:21 PM
Ruger GP100, Smith Model 65. Thank you Elmer Keith.

9mmepiphany
June 4, 2012, 03:51 PM
I can't tell if you've mis-informed or are confused. Elmer Keith had a lot to do with the introduction of what became the S&W M27 and M29, but he was not commonly known to shot any S&W smaller than a N-frame....certainly not the M65

He certainly had nothing to do with the development of the Ruger GP100,as his main interest in Ruger handguns was with the Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag.

Ae you perhaps thinking of Bill Jordan who was a moving force in the Introduction of the S&W M19.

Neither man was especially known to be taken with the use of stainless steel in mid-sized revolvers

CraigC
June 4, 2012, 03:56 PM
I have most of Elmer Keith's books and have no idea what he has to do with the GP or model 65.

Phil Sharpe was directly responsible for the development of the .357 cartridge.

mje
June 4, 2012, 04:02 PM
Best for what?
Best one made in terms of workmanship, fit, and finish: Korth
Most accurate one I ever owned: 1980s Dan Wesson
Strongest: Ruger Blackhawk

Guillermo
June 4, 2012, 04:08 PM
the best revolver MADE (meaning current production) is Dan Wesson. (not counting the "exotics" like Korth)

No MIM parts. No idiot lock. Great fit and finish. Unlike Smith and Taurus they can spell "QC".

Bad news is that production is just ramping up and they are currently going for a premium (1100 bucks!!!)

CraigC
June 4, 2012, 04:14 PM
Bad news is that production is just ramping up and they are currently going for a premium (1100 bucks!!!)
Compared to the astronomical prices S&W wants for their so-called "Classics", that might be a hell of a deal. ;)

Guillermo
June 4, 2012, 04:20 PM
better gun by a Long SHOT.

Of course I prefer to buy revolvers from the Golden Age.

But the op was looking for a new gun.

Bubba613
June 4, 2012, 05:05 PM
Best production revolver is the Smith 686 SSR. Period. Possibly the best one ever built.

9mmepiphany
June 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
No MIM parts. No idiot lock. Great fit and finish. Unlike Smith and Taurus they can spell "QC".
Did the new DW revolvers replace all the action parts manufactured from sintered (molded, powdered steel) metal?

CraigC
June 4, 2012, 06:03 PM
Best production revolver is the Smith 686 SSR. Period. Possibly the best one ever built.
Not even close. :rolleyes:

Guillermo
June 4, 2012, 06:08 PM
9mm,
DW Rep told me forged

9mmepiphany
June 4, 2012, 06:40 PM
That would explain their price point.

Forged steel parts are more expensive to manufacture and require more handwork to achieve the same level of fit as MIM parts

Guillermo
June 4, 2012, 08:10 PM
Similar price to the forged internal Smiths.

9mmepiphany
June 4, 2012, 09:36 PM
The action design of the Dan Wesson, unless they changed that too, is more modern production friendly. That should have made their market price more in-line with Ruger than S&W. The DW action design would have been a perfect fit for modern MIM parts

Guillermo
June 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
The DW action design would have been a perfect fit for modern MIM parts

but then they would be filled with injection molded parts

:mad:

9mmepiphany
June 4, 2012, 10:54 PM
They always were before and they worked fine :D

The DW wasn't designed to use forged parts, it was a modern action designed for easy production. This is truly a case of catering to public "wants" as opposed to "needs", which I guess would be called being responsive to their customers. The question is how many people will pay the actual price for what they asked for. It is much like DW going to the forged frames on their 1911s that people clammered for and than complaining about price increases

If you enjoyed reading about "Who makes the best 357 revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!