Good Books, Good Authors

PDA

Baba Louie
December 27, 2002, 11:11 AM
Need a thread on good reading material.

At Christmas, I got a slew of books and decided to join in the fun here by posting something (fulfilling my need to belong)

The Fight Club, by Chuck Palahniuk
Pale Horse Coming, Hunter
Little House on the Prairie Series (for reading to the kids)
Lord of the Rings set (4 books including the Hobbit)
Strongs Concordance
The Founding Brothers (author escapes me at the moment)
an Ambrose book (title escapes me at the moment)
For a New Liberty, by Murray Rothbard (for the Libertarian in me)
MC Escher art book
Spy Book (Equipment, history, etc.)(author unknown at moment)
The last Jean Auel "Ayla" book.
The Prince, Machiavelli
Enders Shadow, Card

Figure I'm good to go until about mid February

Anybody else get any good reading material and wish to recommend good or bad?

Adios

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Books, Good Authors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blackhawk
December 27, 2002, 11:17 AM
Glad you made it! It's always nice to see a familiar name! :D

Quite a varied slew of books, and if you can get through them by February, you must be an avid reader! :)

2dogs
December 27, 2002, 11:36 AM
"Slander" by Ann Coulter. I've been reading it for 6 months. Whenever I see a liberal nitwit on TV I take out the book and read a page or two, then put it away for next time. I'm sure if I watched more TV it would be done by now. :)

enichols
December 27, 2002, 11:36 AM
Well, I got a couple new books, although not all are really "reading" material. In fact, the only real reading book I got was Bolt Action Rifles by Frank de Haas.
It's interesting to see Palahniuk at the top of your list. I've read Fight Club and Survivor, and I absolutely love his writing. Real dark, cynical, deadpan type writing. Excellent stuff. When you finish Fight Club, check out Survivor. It's just as good IMHO.
Nice list ya got there. Sounds like you're gonna be having plenty of fun with that.

-Nic

80fl
December 27, 2002, 11:43 AM
#1: The Holy Bible
#2: Unintended Consequences

There are more, but I really enjoyed these!:cool:

Salpalinja
December 27, 2002, 02:41 PM
Baba Louie: was the spy book The Ultimate Spy Book author is H. Keith Melton, if so what a great read. Could not put it down.

Also Antony Beevor's Stalingrad was somewhat shocking and good reading. What a waste of life and material.

I would like to read unintended consequences but it seems it is impossible to get, and I don't have a credit card..... :mad:

4v50 Gary
December 27, 2002, 07:08 PM
Death From Afar, Vol I-V, by Roy & Norm Chandler. USMC sniping
A Mississippi Rebel in the Army of Northern Virginia - Pvt. David Holt (great account by a webfoot)
A Rifleman Went to War by Herbert McBride (classic account of sniping in WW I)
Scoouwa! James Smith tale of captivity and adoption by the Indians. His appendix offers great insight into the Indian mode of warfare. Did they teach us our light infantry tactics?

beta
December 27, 2002, 07:27 PM
None of these are firearms related but good stuff nonetheless.

Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, three books in the set, (lots of fun).

Anything by Richard Brautigan, Trout Fishing in America, Revenge of the Lawn are two good examples of his short stories.

Anything by Leon Uris, (I particularly liked Trinity, read this first if you plan on reading Redemption).

Most anything by Ken Follett, one of my favorites was Pillars of the Earth.

Robert Heinlein had some great insight, I am sure others here can give you some of their favorites

Angelas Ashes by Frank McCourt, and Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig will make you cry.

The other posters had some stuff that sounds good, I'll have to check them out too.

warmest regards

Schuey2002
December 27, 2002, 07:31 PM
I was just waiting for someone to mention Robert A. Heinlein. :D

Pick a book,you can't go wrong.

priv8ter
December 27, 2002, 07:41 PM
Sorry to correct you Beta, but there are 5 books in the increasingly inaccuretaly named Hitchhikers Trilogy.

And Schuey, while I love Heinlein, there are a few of his books that I believe should be read in a certain order...you will just get more out of them that way.

beta
December 27, 2002, 08:15 PM
You're right Priv8ter,

There were more books in the Hitchhiker series, although I didn't like 'em as much as the first three, are you a fan?, did you ever watch the PBS series?

Same thing with the Dune "Trilogy" by Frank Herbert, got wierd in the last couple of books.

Right again with Heinlein, but I don't remember the correct order, I read a post on another forum, I forget which, that indicated that Heinlein was trying to tie together some of his books later in his life,

anyone know which order they're supposed to be read?

warmest regards

edit to correct spelling, if there are more, I don't want to know:D

Hkmp5sd
December 27, 2002, 08:41 PM
"Slander" by Ann Coulter. I've been reading it for 6 months.

I knocked that book out in an afternoon. Too good to stop.

Working on Truman by David McCullough and Red Rabbit by Clancey at the moment.

BTW, you know you've been playing with computers too long if you can remember playing The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom. (I still have it, and the Apple //e that I played it on still works too! :) )

tlhelmer
December 27, 2002, 08:47 PM
Anything from Stephen Hunter and Richard Marcinko

priv8ter
December 27, 2002, 08:47 PM
The Heinlein books that should be read in order are parts of his Future History, and all involve his 'World-as-Myth' approach. While they all make decent reads stand alone, you will get much more out of them if read in the following order:

Methusalas Children

Time Enough for Lover

Number of the Beast

The Cat who Walks Through Walls
and Finally

To Sail Beyond the Sunset.

As for your questions, Beta...never saw the TV Series, and since the Hitchhikers Trilogy was so out there goofy, I didn't mind the extra few books. But you are correct...usually when something is written as a Trilogy, additional books will not be as good. A good case in point for this is Piers Anthony, and The Apprentice Adept series. There are exceptions to every rule though.

Drizzt
December 27, 2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Hkmp5sd

BTW, you know you've been playing with computers too long if you can remember playing The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom.

I remember playing that on a C64. Never could finish it, though. I did learn really quick, though, how to spell "buffered analgesic".

Heinlein's stuff is great
For good mysteries, I like Tony Hillerman
For great characters, I read Dean Koontz
For a bit of history, I can always pull out The Seven Military Classics of Ancient China .
Right now I'm reading Commodore Moore and the Texas Navy

cato87
December 27, 2002, 10:22 PM
Several good books to suggest:
1. Any book by Jeff Shaara
2. Gordon S. Wood THE CREATION OF THE AMERICAN REPUBLIC
3. Bernard Bailyn THE IDEOLOGICAL ORIGINS OF THE AMERICAN REVOLUTION
4. Forrest McDonald STATES RIGHTS AND THE UNION: IMPERIO IN IMPERIUM

Have a great year.

Cato

Bostonterrier97
December 27, 2002, 11:00 PM
Okay! Here is my list!

Pulling Thru by Dean Ing ( a great survival novel)
Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle
Point of Impact by Steven Hunter ( a great sniper novel)

Sixguns by Elmer Keith
Gun Notes by Elmer Keith
Fast and Fancy Shooting by Ed McGivern ( must for anyone who shoots a single action revolver )
The Ultimate Sniper by Maj John Plaster (ret)
Snipers to the Reich by Captain Clifford Shore
Boer Commando by Denys Reitz
The Complete Book of Rifles and Shotguns by Jack O'Conner
Gunsmithing Simplified by Harold E. MacFarland
Jack O'Conner's Gun Book
Hatcher's Notebook (by Julian Hatcher)
Hatcher's Book on the Garand
Pet Loads by Ken Waters
Modern Highpower Competition (from beginner to master) by Randolph Constantine
The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions by John J. Donnelly
Cartridges of the World by Frank Barnes
Rifles of the World by John Walter
Small Arms of the World by W.H.B. Smith
Testing the War Weapons by Timothy J. Mullin
Lyman's Reloading Handbook
The Accurate Rifle by Warren Page
The Washing of the Spears by Donald R. Morris (on the Zulu War)
The Boat by Lothar-Gunther Buchheim ( a great WWII Sub book from a Nazi U Boat Vet)
Run Silent Run Deep (another great Sub book)
A Country Made By War (a wonderful book on the Military History of the United States) by Geoffrey Perret
The Art of War in the Western World by Archer Jones
Misfire (The History of How America's Small Arms have Failed our Military) by William H. Hallahan (a very good book on the politics of Weapons Procurement of Infantry Rifles and Machine Guns in America from Revolutionary War up to about 1965)
Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson (the Carlos Hathcock Story)
Pallas by L. Neil Smith (a choppy but fun read)
Systemic Shock by Dean Ing (another fun read about a Gun Runner in the underworld)
Unintended Consequences by John Ross (a must read)
That Every Man be Armed (the evolution of a constitutional right) by Stephen P. Halbrook ( a scholarly treatment on the history behind the second amendment)

How Great Generals Win by Bevin Alexander
Combat Loads for the Sniper Rifle by Ralph Avery
Dead On (The Long Range Marksman's Guide to Extreme Accuracy) by Tony M. Noblitt and Warren Gabrilska
A Rifleman went to War by Herbert McBride

Boobytraps FM 5-31
Incediaries TM 31-201-1
Explosives and Demolitions FM 5-25
Unconventional Warfare Devices and Techniques References TM 31-200-1
Improvised Munitions TM 31-210
Silencers Principles and Evaluations Report R-1896

Full Auto Conversion of the SKS Rifle by Powder Burns
How to Make Disposable Silencers by J. Flores

Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders Vol 1 and 2 by P.O. Ackley

Triggernometry A Gallery of Gunfighters by Joseph G. Rosa
And Die in the West (the story of the O.K. Corral Gunfight) by Paula Mitchell Marks (simply the BEST and most COMPLETE Historical account of what went down between the Earps and the Clantons in Tombstone)
The Marauders by Charlton Ogburn Jr. (the story of Merrills Marauders written by a former Marauder)
I think that is a nice list..many of these books are MUST reads and References

Pointman
December 28, 2002, 02:26 AM
In no particular order, only scratching the surface of my library (and "life list").

Ayne Rand - Atlas Shrugged, Fountain Head, Anthem, We The Living
Taylor Caldwell - Devil's Advocate, Ceremony of the Innocent, Dialog with the Devil, Captains and the Kings and several others.
Leon Uris - all
Ernest Gant - all
John Plasterer -Ultimate Sniper
Jeff Cooper (of course) - all
The Service by Reinhard Gehlen
G. Gordon Liddy's Will
Marine Sniper
Charlie Rangers
James Watson's Pointman, Walking Point
Dick Marcinko - all
Federalist/Anti-Federalist papers
Clauswitz
Sun Tsu
The Radicalism of the American Revolution by Gordon Wood.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head...

UnknownSailor
December 28, 2002, 03:26 AM
Sellout
Bias
More Guns, Less Crime

Anything by Tom Clancy, less the Op-Center series
Cussler, however, read one, and you've read them all.
Harold Coyle
Larry Bond

Anne McCafferty, the Ship series
BOLO series
Hammer's Slammers
Star Ship Troopers
The LT/Captian/Major/Lt Colonel/Colonel series
Starfist series

Maddock
December 28, 2002, 04:23 AM
Eric Hoffer’s “The True Believer” is one of the great books; IMHO his writing ranks with Montaigne’s “Essays” and the “Meditations” of Marcus Aurelius.
Anything by David Drake – the Hammers Slammers series, Northworld, his Lacey stories.
The novels of Kenneth Roberts – particularly “Northwest Passage”, “Lydia Bailey” and his Revolutionary War novels.
M. Scott Peck – “The Road Less Traveled” and “People of the Lie”, about the nature of love and evil.

The aspiration toward freedom is the most essentially human of all human manifestations. – Eric Hoffer (1902-1983)

Ala Dan
December 28, 2002, 05:28 AM
The Tactical Pistol by Gaberial Suraez

Written by a Los Angeles Police Department veteran "Tactical
Officer", and current member of The Halo Group.

for those that don't know, The Halo Group trains member's
of Special Response Teams from all area's of the globe.
Very interesting reading from effectuating felony arrest
and proper techniques of clearing building's to wounded
shooter techniques; and every thing in between. I rate it
as a ""must have" on all LEO's book shevles.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Moondancer
December 28, 2002, 06:07 AM
"____" Prey series by John Sanford. Decent gun stuff in it, but not a "gun" book. Read them in order if you can.
Dean Koontz - for light reading. "Fear the Night" (IIRC) was one of his best later ones, "Watchers" one of the best early ones.
Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker - also for light reading.
Anything by Stephen King. Liked "The Stand", "IT", and ""Salem's Lot" the best with "Salem's Lot" being one of the few things I've ever read that kept me up listening for bumps in the night. :eek:
Bourne series by Robert Ludlum. Reading "The Sigma Protocol" right now. Reminds me a lot of the Bourne Identity. Loved his earlier stuff better than later stuff, BTW.
Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton. Kinda weird stuff, almost "chick" novels. Gun stuff okay, but not great. Philosophy about weapons and self-defense pretty good for a "chick" book. (Don't laugh. If it's printed, I'll read it!)

Bostonterrier97 mentions "Pulling Through" by Dean Ing and "Lucifer's Hammer" by Pournelle and Niven. Gotta second them both as "must reads" for this group.

No guns, but for those of you into fantasy, you have to check out the Belgariad and Malloreon series (five in each) by David and Leigh Eddings. I liked them better than LoTR.

For non-fiction I'm about 1/2 way through "The Gathering Storm" by Winston S. Churchill.

And last but not least, I'm trying to find some of the old Bantam "Doc Savage" novels. I know they probably won't hold my interest like they did in the late '60s, but it's been a while since I've read a good pulp!

David Scott
December 28, 2002, 08:34 AM
I will only mention two of my favorite series:

The Dragon Prince/Dragon Star series by Melanie Rawn. Six-book, multigenerational saga of princedoms, dragons, wizards, invasions, battles, political scheming, death, joy, love, all sorts of great stuff. Huge cast of well-drawn characters. My favorite is Lord Kazander, Korrus (battle leader) of the nomadic Isulkim, who sent the defeated Merida warlord's head to the High Lord of the Vellantim. Dude has style.

http://www.melanierawn.com/

David Weber's Honor Harrington series. About 9 books and still going, Ms. Harrington is Horatio Hornblower in space. She kicks major butt on the People's Republic of Haven, a welfare state that can only shore up its staggering economy through conquest. There is a great scene in one book where she slips a Colt 1911 past an energy weapons scan to whack a bad guy.

http://www.honor-harrington.com/index2.php?hh=index2.shtml

RAY WOODROW 3RD
December 28, 2002, 08:40 AM
"The Ballad of Carl Draga"
"Send in the Waco Killers"
Both by Vin Syprowitz (spelled wrong I'm sure)

Bullshooter
December 28, 2002, 08:52 AM
I love Heinlein, but have read and re-read them so many times I need a break. Just about anything by Asimov, especially his robot novels. And who can forget W.E.B. Griffin? His books are good reading (but everyone's rich. I find that disconcerting). A relatively recent addition has been Peter T. Deutermann, whose novels generally involve the Navy (understandably so when you consider he's a retired Captain). Just a few of my choices.

2dogs
December 28, 2002, 11:48 AM
On a more serious note, and in no particular order other than close at hand and some of my favorites:

"Of Mice and Men"- John Steinbeck

"Catch 22"- Joseph Heller

"Nineteen Eighty Four"- George Orwell

"To Hell and Back"- Audie Murphy

"The Bravest Battle- The 28 Days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising"- Dan Kurzman

"The Trial of the Germans"- Eugene Davidson

"Unintended Consequences"- John Ross

"The Stranger"- Albert Camus

STW
December 28, 2002, 01:11 PM
This is a plug for a book source. David Spriggs at
http://www.newbookscheap.com sells books at 40% of list (a $20 book costs $8) plus shipping. I've spent more than I care to think about with him and am very satisfied. He donates his profits to the Military Order of the Purple Heart. He's a nice guy besides.

Jmurman
December 28, 2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 4v50 Gary
Death From Afar, Vol I-V, by Roy & Norm Chandler. USMC sniping
A Mississippi Rebel in the Army of Northern Virginia - Pvt. David Holt (great account by a webfoot)
A Rifleman Went to War by Herbert McBride (classic account of sniping in WW I)
Scoouwa! James Smith tale of captivity and adoption by the Indians. His appendix offers great insight into the Indian mode of warfare. Did they teach us our light infantry tactics?

A Rifleman went to war is a EXCELLENT book. Tough to come by in the earlier editions.

Mark Benningfield
December 28, 2002, 01:49 PM
Hello All.

You've got to read Jeff Snyder's "A Nation of Cowards." Excellent book!! Also good:

Slander, Ann Coulter
Bias, Bernard Goldberg
Ten Things You Can't Say in America, Larry Elders
The New Thought Police, Tammy Bruce

Just a few.

Snowman92D
December 28, 2002, 03:14 PM
"Gates of Fire", but Stephen Pressfield. A superb read on the warrior mentality...maybe I should have said a "must" read.

ezoeni
December 28, 2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by 80fl
#1: The Holy Bible
#2: Unintended Consequences

There are more, but I really enjoyed these!:cool:

http://lookinside-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35lerFhmcrUPpUqxAWoqvrC87Pv99j+TiS1nCwk63zMSQiOdx8MvLAmbi1JOLGMKr5NV0=

Everyone should read this book

Baba Louie
December 28, 2002, 04:51 PM
ezo...

I met J. Ross at one of the SOF conventions held here in Las Vegas way back when and picked up a copy (my second) of his book as a gift for my Dad. Ross signed it and we spent about ten minutes talking about the years he spent researching it, Missouri (both of our home states) CCW possibilities, etc.

Anyway, his book is the favorite gift for the men in the family. I've given six of them to uncles, brother-in-laws, cousins, etc.

They all like to read L'Amor, Heinlein, Rand, Hunter... the likes of that breed of author.

And they're all gun-toting, shooting Democrats. I don't mean they go out and shoot democrats, they all just read this individualistic, manly, libertarian bent writing and vote the demo ticket.

But, they do like to read and shoot.

I find it interesting that all of the authors and books listed here and in other threads at GlockTalk and TFL are naturally those I would gravitate towards. It makes going to the bookstore more enjoyable to have a list handy.

Hope to read them all before my eyes and years give out.

Adios

Drizzt
December 28, 2002, 04:53 PM
Time Magazine actually declared this the #1 non-fiction book of the year:

HEART OF A SOLDIER by James Stewart
Most books about the attacks on September 11th felt like they were written in 10 minutes. James Stewart's Heart Of A Soldier reads like the product of 10 years of careful research and meditation. It's a biography of Rick Rescorla, an American soldier of fortune whose life ended at the World Trade Center, and it takes the reader through his harrowing service in Vietnam, an unexpectedly tender romance late in life, and, with searing clarity, his final minutes in Manhattan. War story, love story, history, Heart of a Soldier is everything you want and need it to be: calm, beautifully composed and consoling.

If anyone here is unfamiliar with Rick Rescorla (and there is no excuse for that by now....) do a search on his name on TFL or FreeRepublic. The guy had a fascinating life, and lived it to the fullest.

hipower22
December 28, 2002, 06:03 PM
I didn't notice any books by Harry Turtledove.

He writes 'alternate history'. My favorite is "The Guns of the South" wherein the confederate states win the civil war with the help of some white supremacist South Africans with a time machine and a truckload of AK47's. ;)

MountainPeak
December 28, 2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by hipower22
I didn't notice any books by Harry Turtledove.

He writes 'alternate history'. My favorite is "The Guns of the South" wherein the confederate states win the civil war with the help of some white supremacist South Africans with a time machine and a truckload of AK47's. ;) In the south this book isn't sold in the fiction section.;) Just kidding guys.:)

Chuck Dye
December 28, 2002, 09:34 PM
Cache Lake Country by John Rowlands

Nonfiction. Rowlands was a timber cruiser/forest manager before WWII. Cache Lake Country relates a year spent in the woods and many things learned in the process. Both a great read and a limited practical guide, it has been a favorite of the rendezvous crowd who prompted a recent reprint.

For sci-fi (pronounced "skiffy"-literature that sticks to the roof of the mind), the only author whose output I consciously watch for is David Brin, especially his Five Galaxies/Uplift War series.

HABU
December 28, 2002, 10:40 PM
Sled Driver and The Untouchables, both by Brian Shul.

In the former he tells what it was like to fly the worlds fastest plane, the SR-71. The Untouchables tells of his three missions in three days flying at faster than mach3 over Lybia after we bombed the hell out of Momar in '86, I think it was.

glockten
December 29, 2002, 12:10 AM
Without Remorse by Tom Clancy.

Principles Of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper.

The Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell.

The Civil War: A Narrative by Shelby Foote; three massive volumes in the original edition, or 14 smaller volumes in the Time-Life edition.

Machine Guns by Ian V. Hogg.

Military Small Arms Of The 20th Century by Ian V. Hogg and John S. Weeks.

Six Armies In Normandy by John Keegan.

American Caesar by William Manchester; a biography of Douglas MacArthur.

The History Of United States Naval Operations In World War II by Samuel Eliot Morison; 14 volumes.

God, Guns, And Rock'n'Roll by Ted Nugent.

Piece Of Cake by Derek Robinson; a novel about an RAF squadron in the Battle of Britain.

With The Old Breed by E.B. Sledge; the memoirs of a Marine who lived through Peleliu and Okinawa.

"Co. Aytch" by Sam Watkins; memoirs of a Confederate soldier who fought in the Army of Tennessee from Shiloh to Nashville.

Dienekes
December 29, 2002, 01:37 AM
Some very good suggestions here. I will second two already mentioned:

The Marauders, by Charleton Ogburn;
Gates of Fire, by Steven Pressfield

For the long haul, History of Civilization, by the Durants;

For very heavy duty, The Great Books series.

The older I get the more I realize how poor an 'education' I got from 'professional educators'. If I had to choose between the average university and a really good used bookstore in a city, I would take the latter instantly.

Oh, and kill the TV. Always a good move.

Glock_17
December 29, 2002, 04:06 AM
Have to pitch in:

The Gap Series, starting with "The Real Story" - Stephen R. Donaldson
The Night's Dawn Trilogy - Peter F. Hamilton
The Mindstar Trilogy (Mindstar Rising, A Quantum Murder, The Nano Flower) - Peter F. Hamilton
Hyperion & The Fall of Hyperion - Dan Simmons
The Heritage Trilogy - Ian Douglas
A Fire Upon The Deep & A Deepness In The Sky - Vernor Vinge

Anything written by Larry Bond
Anything with Jack Ryan from Tom Clancy up to "The Bear and the Dragon", can't stand the later books

Blind Man's Bluff
The Silent War
Big Red

More to come in the next thread! :D

rick458
December 29, 2002, 07:22 AM
I was half way through Leon Uris's Battle Cry before it dawned on me that the Com platoon he was writing about lived one floor beneath me (com platoon 6th Mar Reg, 2nd Mar Div) I was with regimental TOWs at the time :eek: I got W.E.B Griffith Special Ops
I want to finish off the Corps as well

80fl
December 29, 2002, 07:34 AM
originally posted by baba louie

And they're all gun-toting, shooting Democrats. I don't mean they go out and shoot democrats, they all just read this individualistic, manly, libertarian bent writing and vote the demo ticket.

I was hoping to charter one of those clubs in my neck of the woods. hehehe

Another great book is:

"The death of the west"

by none other that Patrick J. Buchanan

Truly a must read.

VaughnT
December 29, 2002, 02:35 PM
All these authors and no one has mentions Robert Jordan, the only writer to come close to Tolkein?

If you haven't read Jordan's Eye of the World series, you're missing out on something great. It's amazing how he ties so many cultural realities into a mythical story. And it is very deep.

It's easily the best writing since Tolkein, for those fantasy folks. The Eddings did a good job, and it was certainly entertaining, but it just doesn't compare to Jordan.

And anything from Gabe Suarez is a must have. That man is simply amazing, with a gun or pen. I love his style.

Jmurman
December 30, 2002, 05:48 AM
David Hackworths last book. I think its called Steeling our Soldiers. Very good read about Nam.

RKCheung
December 30, 2002, 12:38 PM
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

1984 - George Orwell

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley

spacemanspiff
December 30, 2002, 12:54 PM
i was just thinking that we needed a good book thread...

i'm reading "blood red snow" right now. its the journal of a german machine gunner on the russian front lines. paints the german soldiers in a rather different light. dont remember the name of the author, but its so far a decent read.

"the sirious mystery" is a good book for those into mythology and the possiblity of alien contact.

"holy blood holy grail" is not too bad, if you're interested in the knights templar.

Viking6
December 30, 2002, 01:21 PM
From Defeat to Victory by Viscount William Slim
An Unofficial History by Viscount William Slim
Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose
Any and everything by George McDonald Fraser (especially the Flashman Series)

December 31, 2002, 07:29 AM
Only saw one mention of Louis L' Amour. Everything he has written. Then find all the movie adaptations, especially the one done recently with Sam Elliot. John MacDonald. Same as above. For some really hard-hitting fiction-noir try Andrew Vachss - pronounced "Vax". Writes fiction. Most of his stuff relates to child abuse and payback.

hipower22
December 31, 2002, 04:33 PM
Have to agree with you on Louis L'Amour. One of America's great authors. I've read every book of his I have been able to get my hands on. And what about Brules by Harry Combs? Hard to put down once you've started.

tankertom
December 31, 2002, 05:07 PM
John Ringo's series with the Army fighting the Posleen are great.

www.johnringo.com

Nanook
December 31, 2002, 05:29 PM
Heinlein is excellent, as is Drake. Jerry Pournelle writes some good military SF.

S.M. Stirling has two fantastic series; the Draka books, where Tories and Confederates move to South Africa and pretty much dominate the world except for the USA. Much better than I make it sound. The other is the Island in the Sea of Time series; where Nantucket is moved back in time to like 1200 B.C. Again, much better than I make it sound.

There's a series by William Fortschen called "The Lost Regiment" that I like quite a bit. About 8 books.

For you Marines and former Marines, there's a series about space-going Marines called StarFist written by D. Cragg and D. Sherman. Interesting, enough so that I'm awaiting the next book. There are six that I know about so far.

I'm a big SF fan, especially the military oriented stuff and alternate histories. As someone mentioned, Turtledove writes excellent alternate history.

Sorry to run on, I'm a genuine bookworm!

AndABeer
December 31, 2002, 05:46 PM
I am a fan of Turtledove as well, though more of his short stories than his novels. The current series starting with "How Few Remain" is very interesting. South wins civil war, wins second war against US, allies itself with England and France against US and Germany in WW1, looses, and is now poised to turn into a fascist nation and fight the US (a socialist nation). Interesting stuff.

garrettwc
December 31, 2002, 06:34 PM
by tlhelmer
Anything from Stephen Hunter and Richard Marcinko

Just knocked out Marcinko's latest book "Violence of Action" this morning. Good read. There have been some changes since the last book that make the series seem new again.

I recommend it for Marcinko fans.

hipower22
December 31, 2002, 08:08 PM
TRACKERS By Peter Haran.

This is a book about tracker dogs in Vietnam with the Australian Army written by a dog handler. It certainly gives a different perspective on army life in SE Asia.

A quote from the book:

My head slammed back against the seat, and the wind-blast through the open port made my eyes gush. It was clear what the smart bastard of an air jockey was trying to do. It was what chopper pilots called 'evade tacticts'. Take the stick firmly in both hands and churn it left-right, left-right. Do it with plenty of grunt. At the same time do a lawn mower job on the local vegetation by keeping it just above tree-top level.

Ceaser was sitting with his arse on my feet, his two front legs splayed, and his nose pushed up against the perspex bubble, his tongue extended. There was a deliriously euphoric look in his eyes at the trees flashing just yards beneath him. He was ready to orgasm. I was ready to projectile vomit.

'Pays to evade,' the pilot shouted across at me. 'Stops us getting a rocket down the throat,' he grinned, then jabbed finger at the dog; 'Loves this s..t, don't he?'

All the dogs were named after Roman emperors and none returned to Australia at wars end. Because of Australian quarantine laws, the Australian Army had a nasty habit of leaving their livestock overseas when hostilities ceased.

STW
December 31, 2002, 11:40 PM
Anything by Barbara Tuchmann

- The Proud Tower (20 years leading up to WWI)
- The Guns of August (WWI August 1914)
- A Distant Mirror (comparison of 14th and 20th centuries)
- The First Salute (Story of the 1st recognition of the US flag by another country)
- Stillwell and the American Experience in China (biography of Gen. Joseph Stillwell)
- March of Folly: from Troy to Vietnam (goofs that led to wars)

db4
January 1, 2003, 08:56 AM
Page 3, lots of sci-fi fans, and no mention of L. Neil Smith. I am shocked, SHOCKED!

The Probability Broach, an alternate timeline where the Whiskey Rebellion was successful, and our protagonist's S&W M58 is quaint, but effective.

The Nagasaki Vector, same place via different route.

Pallas

Henry Martyn

Bretta Martyn

The American Zone

http://www.lneilsmith.com/

If you don't long to live in his worlds...mash all your guns and vote democrat. And a pox be upon thee.

Ala Dan
January 1, 2003, 06:11 PM
Another couple of books come to mind:

Chained Eagle by Everett Alvarez, Jr.

and

Hamburger Hill

both true experiences from the Viet-Nam War!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. LIfe Member

Nanook
January 1, 2003, 07:14 PM
db4, you are correct, and I'm embarassed to admit that I forgot L. Neil Smith. Pallas is especially good.

If you enjoyed reading about "Good Books, Good Authors" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!