NRA selling hoodies with concealed carry pockets

PDA

rajb123
April 18, 2012, 05:36 PM
http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?c=11&p=CO+635&ct=e

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA selling hoodies with concealed carry pockets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Shoobee
April 18, 2012, 05:41 PM
Looks good! Think I will get me one.

[Not really.]

[My camo hunting jacket has an attached hoodie. I like it in case there is rain. Otherwise I don't own any other hoodies. And even then, in the rain, I would put a pancho on over the camo hoodie.]

CoRoMo
April 18, 2012, 05:46 PM
I saw that on Drudge a few weeks ago. I don't think it is a new addition to their store, but the association with the word 'hoodie' obviously has made it appear as though it is the NRA's response to recent events. It isn't.

ol' scratch
April 18, 2012, 06:11 PM
It is not a new addition. The only reason it looks like a new addition is because people started making a big deal about them after the Trayvon Martin shooting. They have been around for over a year now.

Neverwinter
April 18, 2012, 06:25 PM
Not a good idea to wear one, ST&T wise.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

armoredman
April 18, 2012, 06:53 PM
Wear the hood DOWN unless it's cold or raining, and you won't have any issues. If you insist on wearing the hood up during good weather, or at night while acting furtively, then you will garner some possibly unwelcome attention.

Nushif
April 18, 2012, 07:08 PM
I have an honest question at this point. ... why is it a bad idea t wear one? No snark or anything but it doesn't have logos, has a hood for the rain and cold, and it's insulated. And it has a built in holster.

What's not to like? Other than the price, obviously.

fatcat4620
April 18, 2012, 07:13 PM
I always wanted to take one of those pullover hoodies and cut out the big hand pocket to access a belly band.

dprice3844444
April 18, 2012, 07:14 PM
it's the major dress of all the gang bangers

mljdeckard
April 18, 2012, 07:17 PM
Why on earth is is it a bad idea to wear one?

I have a black S&W hoodie I wear all the time.

19-3Ben
April 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
Seems like the weight of a gun right there would yank the shirt down a bit in the front. Not my cup 'o tea.

Nushif
April 18, 2012, 07:18 PM
Honestly don't know how to respond to this. Don't wear hoodies because you might get "bad attention?" Really?
Like, in reality land?

glove
April 18, 2012, 07:19 PM
Looks good, but the pocket in my wal-mart hoodie works good for my P3AT and at less than 1/3 the cost:)

glove
April 18, 2012, 07:21 PM
And why is that?

Cosmoline
April 18, 2012, 07:22 PM
I think they used to be much more strongly associated with criminals than they are now. But in most parts of the country they're widespread. Like tattoos used to be a mark of the dangerous underclass, but you see judges with them now. It's just fashion.

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 18, 2012, 07:24 PM
I see no issue, I'm wearing one right now. I wear it like one should, only put the hood up when you actually need it.

Tinpig
April 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
"it's the major dress of all the gang bangers"

It may be. But in the cold and windy climates of this country it's also the major dress of a lot of us who work outdoors for a living.
I wear a hooded sweatshirt year-round, sometimes two, but I guess it's OK 'cause I'm white.

http://cache.boston.com/resize/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2012/03/24/1332615411_1165/539w.jpg
Storage Warehouse Auction, W. Bridgewater, MA; March 2012

Tinpig

wally
April 18, 2012, 08:17 PM

S&T wise maybe the idea is they'll leave you alone out of professional courtesy, kinda like how sharks won't eat lawyers :)

Skribs
April 18, 2012, 08:56 PM
I've worn a hoodie since I was in middle school and I've never had any problems.

Carl N. Brown
April 18, 2012, 09:59 PM
My military surplus Coat, Cold Weather, Field (aka field jacket) has a hood; does that count? Also, my daughter bought me a thing, I guess it could be called a hoodie.

The hooded jacket was in the NRA catalog long before the Martin/Zimmerman incident. It was not inserted to be political. Political would be removing it.

Neverwinter
April 18, 2012, 10:21 PM
Honestly don't know how to respond to this. Don't wear hoodies because you might get "bad attention?" Really?
Like, in reality land?
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/geraldo-rivera-finds-real-culprit-trayvon-martin-slaying-182043689.html

A Fox News anchor outside of reality land? How preposterous!

Although it may be possible that hoodies are only dangerous if the hood is used in a way which is not acceptable to someone following them.

wrs840
April 18, 2012, 10:36 PM
A hoodie is just part of the "gangbanger" uniform, and when worn in that context, the uniform is clearly meant to convey intimidation. I think that's inarguable.

If one dresses like a Cowboy, I assume his value system is that of a Cowboy.

If one dresses like a Gangbanger, I assume his value system is that of a Gangbanger.

I think that it's fair of me to take strangers at face value by the way they choose to dress. ...Sorry, I don't have time to get to know who's serious about their image and who's "just funnin' around".

The one hoodie I own is emblazoned with Mickey Mouse® and "DisneyLand Anaheim", which tends to diminish the urban thug "intimidation" factor.

Tim the student
April 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
Like 19-3Ben already said, I'd think it would sag quite a bit. I think it would be better to have a holster built in to a pocket in front.

BTW, I love hoodies. I'd wear them all the time if the weather and dress codes would allow.

Ragnar Danneskjold
April 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
I have jackets from 5.11 that have holsters like these and they do sag a bit even with it being a sturdy jacket. Hoody material has quite a bit more stretch, and I've carried my phone and wallet in the pocket of my hoodies a lot. It's very obvious something is in there. I would think this would be at least as obvious if not more.

SleazyRider
April 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
I have an honest question at this point. ... why is it a bad idea t wear one? No snark or anything but it doesn't have logos, has a hood for the rain and cold, and it's insulated. And it has a built in holster.

What's not to like? Other than the price, obviously.
Fine. I wear one too, especially under my jacket when I'm working outdoors on a typical New York day---cold, windy, and gray.

But when I walk into the bank, or the post office, or the local bodega, I remove the hood. Most banks in my area prohibit hoods, as do many businesses. It's not about race or profiling; it's about awareness.

Owen Sparks
April 18, 2012, 11:38 PM
I have a right to cover my bare a$$ in public, why not ma face?

wrs840
April 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
White robes with "Hoods" fell into disfavor because of the reputation of those who wore them too.

Would you push your "right" to wear one of those in public?

The bad-boy image is created (on purpose), and sometimes rightfully "sticks".

mrvco
April 19, 2012, 12:14 AM
I wear a black Carhartt hoodie on a daily basis when it is too warm for a coat and I have never even gotten a second glance, hood up or hood down.

It takes more than a hoodie...

hso
April 19, 2012, 12:35 AM

Absurd.

Highschool and college kids wear hoodies (or hooded sweatshirts) all the time. My daughter's suburban upper class middle school is full of them. It is naive to associate this nearly ubiquitous garment with gangs alone.

dirtengineer
April 19, 2012, 12:41 AM
The army used to issue "hoodies" for their PT uniform. They are great for working outdoors and I also have a camo fleece one for hunting.

FIVETWOSEVEN
April 19, 2012, 12:57 AM
I have a legal requirement to cover my bare a$$ in public, why not ma face?

Fixed that for you :D

jerkface11
April 19, 2012, 01:22 AM
Not a good idea to wear one, ST&T wise.

Wow you're full of such wonderful advice.

Davek1977
April 19, 2012, 01:47 AM
Lump me in with the gangbangers I guess, as I have a hoody on as often as the weather allows. For the record, I'm 34, white, and not a member of any criminal organization, but hey, thats the glory of stereotypes.....facts don't matter

Neverwinter
April 19, 2012, 02:41 AM
Wow you're full of such wonderful advice.
You're very welcome.

There's another aspect of physical appearance which a certain Florida case has indicated as being dangerous to your health, but it appears that the NRA is not selling that one, nor is it likely to in the future. But if it does, I'll gladly mention the correlation in that thread too.

CZguy
April 19, 2012, 03:16 AM
Are hoods in style right now?

I don't like to have a hood on except in extreme weather, because it blocks my peripheral vision and hearing.

Carl N. Brown
April 19, 2012, 06:34 AM
From the day the Martin family lawyer went public and derailed whatever investigation the 18th district state attorney had going on, this case has been based on spin, speculation and surmise.

(0:00) Dispatcher: Sanford Police Department. …
Zimmerman: Hey we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy, uh, [near] Retreat View Circle, um, (0:15) the best address I can give you is 111 Retreat View Circle. This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.
Dispatcher: OK, and this guy is he white, black, or Hispanic?
Zimmerman: He looks black.
Dispatcher: Did you see what he was wearing?
Zimmerman: Yeah. A dark hoodie, like a grey hoodie, and either jeans or sweatpants and white tennis shoes. He's [unintelligible], he was just staring…
Dispatcher: OK, he's just walking around the area…
Zimmerman: …looking at all the houses.

Zimmerman reported Martin on account of suspicious behavior. The police dispatcher asked routine questions about "white, black, Hispanic" and "what he was wearing" probably reading from a call center script.

Zimerman said: "Hey we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy, ... This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about."

Reporting behavior. Suspicious behavior.

Zimmerman did NOT say: "There's a real suspicious guy because he's black and wearing a hoodie."

Zimmerman's "looks black" and "dark hoodie" comments were in response to standard police questions about race and clothing. And no, asking a 911 caller about the race or clothing of a subject is not police profiling, it's routine identification.

fahng-tzong fung-kwong duh jeh

Pilot
April 19, 2012, 09:16 AM
"it's the major dress of all the gang bangers"

It may be. But in the cold and windy climates of this country it's also the major dress of a lot of us who work outdoors for a living.
I wear a hooded sweatshirt year-round, sometimes two, but I guess it's OK 'cause I'm white.

Who is saying it is NOT OK for African Americans to wear hoodies? A little knee jerk reverse racism?

You belong in Mass with the other anti-freedom folks. :rolleyes:

Owen
April 19, 2012, 09:31 AM

Around here, in rural Indiana, its the daily dress of just about everyone between the ages of 5 or 6 up to the people in their 50's in weather from about freezing to 60 degrees or so.

jerkface11
April 19, 2012, 09:48 AM
I guess when someone in a business suit gets shot we'll get self appointed experts telling us that it's a bad idea to dress that way too.

Ghost Tracker
April 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
Well, if I'm gonna' wearing a hoodie with my EDC somewhere under it, it's not gonna' have a big "NRA" across the front. In the spirit of concealed carry, it's more likely to read "Save the Whales" or "The Sierra Club" or maybe "I Love Tofu". When it comes to being armed, I prefer to stay as covert as possible. (P.S., I'm a NRA Lifer)

mdauben
April 19, 2012, 10:48 AM
Like, in reality land?

I'm a 50+ year old white male professional, and I wear a black "hoodie" all the time in cool weather, and sometimes under a jacket when it gets colder (espeically under my motorcycle jacket, is that like a double strike against me in the profiling game?). I do seldom where the hood up though (I prefer hats, hoods are too constricting) unless it's really cold and blowing.

Honestly, there's more to looking like a thug or gangbanger than just wearing a "hoodie". I've worn hooded sweatshirts since I was a child, and they have become too ubiquitous in popular fashion to be any sort of "warning flag".

Skribs
April 19, 2012, 11:17 AM
I guess what we can gather from this is that gangbangers wear hoodies because a lot of people wear hoodies.

Ghost Tracker
April 19, 2012, 11:47 AM
gangbangers wear hoodies because a lot of people wear hoodies. LOL, All horses run fast. All rabbits run fast. Therefore, all horses are, uh...rabbits?

HarcyPervin
April 19, 2012, 11:48 AM
I think there's a huge difference between wearing a hooded sweatshirt and wearing a "hoodie" as many people think of them. In MN, everybody and their dogs wear hooded sweatshirts, because it's freaking cold here. Walk around on any day below 65 (a very large part of the year) and you're bound to see hoods everywhere. Around here, a hooded sweatshirt is as normal as a t-shirt or a suit jacket. Things may be difference in other parts of the country, or on warm days or in the middle of the summer.

Wear a normal hooded sweatshirt, and nobody will think twice. Wear a thugged out XXL sweatshirt with graphic print on a normal sunny day or pull the hood down so nobody can see your face, you're going to draw attention...and you look rediculous

Ghost Tracker
April 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wearing Wrangler jeans, Tony Lama boots & a nice Resistol disappears into the scenery of rural East Texas. Wear that in uptown Manhattan and you'll attract some attention. Y'all help me follow the conversation, are we discussing the "NRA" part, the "hoodie" part, or the "conceal pockets" part. It's taking some interesting turns here.

David4516
April 19, 2012, 12:07 PM
"I wear a black Carhartt hoodie on a daily basis when it is too warm for a coat and I have never even gotten a second glance, hood up or hood down.

It takes more than a hoodie... "

^^^This ^^^

I too wear a Carhartt hoodie (prefer the blue one to black though), the kind that zips up in front, not the pull-over kind. I wear this thing often, more than any of my other coats/jackets. Never had a problem.

Of course I live in the NW and it's not unusual to see folks around here with hoods (it rains alot). I only wear the hood up when it's wet and/or cold myself...

Anyway, I'm interested in the NRA one with the built-in holster. The hoodies I've seen in the past have all been made of material that seems like it would really "print" if you kept a gun in there. Wonder if this hoodie is different? I'd actually consider buying one if it worked well. Anybody on THR seen one of these in person? If so, what was your impression?

Ghost Tracker
April 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
If you're wearing a hoodie anyway, why not just wear a good belt & OWB holster?

barstoolguru
April 19, 2012, 12:52 PM
any time you have a gun in a coat like that it is going to flop around when you move.

http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2009/01/how-to-spot-guy-carrying-gun.html

David4516
April 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
I should mention that my "pocket gun" is a Beretta 950BS in .25ACP

It's very small and very light, so I don't imagine it would "flop" too much.

Also, putting on my flame suit, preparing for all the posts telling me that whatever I carry, the caliber has to begin with a "4"

Carl N. Brown
April 19, 2012, 01:08 PM
I guess when someone in a business suit gets shot we'll get self appointed experts telling us that it's a bad idea to dress that way too.

Well, with the self-annointed 99%ers talking about taking down the 1%ers that's possible, but from the rhetoric the weapons of choice will be pitchforks and torches. (that's irony, sarcasm, or lame humor)

Yeah, the hoodie talk is inane to use a crossword puzzle word.

Claude Clay
April 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
one thing about a person may catch my eye but its going to take a bit more oddities before my SA trips my conscious to action.
i wear hats so as to preserve my vision. you want to limit yourself, have at it.

robMaine
April 19, 2012, 02:14 PM
I wear hoddies all of the time, I often put the hood up when my head gets cold. I also have tattoo sleeves and a shaved head. If I scare you because of how I dress/look, you really need to re-evaluate your self confidence.

MyGreenGuns
April 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
Seems like the weight of a gun right there would yank the shirt down a bit in the front.^I tried to pocket carry my .38 but the hoodie sags. Its obvious there is something there. Something expensive? Something dangerous? I'd rather not print that bad. Unless the NRA hoodie is thicker or re-enforced on the belly, it will sag also.

-=-=-=-

White robes with "Hoods" fell into disfavor because of the reputation of those who wore them too.

Would you push your "right" to wear one of those in public?
These people wear white robes, red robes, black robes:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3222/2616121769_0426278a62_m.jpg
Holy Week penitents in Andalusia Spain

-=-=-=-

Of course I live in the NW and it's not unusual to see folks around here with hoods (it rains alot).^Its not just "not unusual" its VERY COMMON. Almost everyone I know has/wears a hoodie, from my 7 year old niece to my mother. (Neither of them are "thugs")

I like them because they are a washable coat, I have 3 in rotation.

CZguy
April 19, 2012, 03:38 PM
I wear hoddies all of the time, I often put the hood up when my head gets cold. I also have tattoo sleeves and a shaved head. If I scare you because of how I dress/look, you really need to re-evaluate your self confidence.

The way that you choose to dress doesn't concern me.......the way in which you choose to talk does. :D

robMaine
April 19, 2012, 08:51 PM
The way that you choose to dress doesn't concern me.......the way in which you choose to talk does. :D
What did I say that was concerning? I try to be very articulate and well spoken, so I apologize if my post conveyed the wrong vibe. All I meant was I am worried about someone who is so intimidated by the way someone looks that they feel more justified/likely to use deadly force.

Deltaboy
April 19, 2012, 09:51 PM
Hoodies work great for IWB carry.

newfalguy101
April 19, 2012, 10:10 PM
If I wore hoodies, AND more importantly, they dropped the price by like $40 I would buy one

Neverwinter
April 20, 2012, 12:00 AM
Zimerman said: "Hey we've had some break-ins in my neighborhood, and there's a real suspicious guy, ... This guy looks like he's up to no good, or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about."

Reporting behavior. Suspicious behavior.Behavior as stated, not suspicious to the reasonable person. Unless all kids who are caught out in the rain and remain somewhat observant can be considered suspicious.

Posters in here have even admitted that they would have profiled Martin because of the previous thefts. That's how seductive and convenient it is to fall into that mode of thinking, and they aren't even emotionally invested like the guy who thinks "these oles always get away".

Zimmerman did NOT say: "There's a real suspicious guy because he's black and wearing a hoodie."But he did sufficiently impress his suspicion upon another member of the community to the point where that other member would go downtown to walk or stay at home to head off any possible harassment.

jerkface11
April 20, 2012, 12:52 AM
Have you ever posted in an actual gun thread?

hso
April 20, 2012, 01:07 AM
Went into Target with my daughter this afternoon after school. What was the big display coming in the door?

HOODIES

Hoodies in upper middle class suburbia. The idea that hooded sweat shirts are indicative of being in a gang is ignorant of current and past fashion.

CZguy
April 20, 2012, 02:57 AM
The idea that hooded sweat shirts are indicative of being in a gang is ignorant of current and past fashion.

I'm guilty of that. My wife will attest that I'm ignorant of current and past fashion.

To all of the white posters who wear hoodies..........do you wear it with the hood up even in nice weather? That seems to be the difference to me.

But wadda I know about fashion.

Tinpig
April 20, 2012, 09:12 AM
"...do you wear it with the hood up even in nice weather?"

I might have my hood up anytime Sep-June, and sometimes even July and August, especially when there's a cold onshore wind. Now that I'm 68 what little I have left in the hair department no longer seems to keep my head warm.:)

I observe with pleasure that most of us here take pride in a libertarian "you mind your business and I'll mind mine" approach to life.

Worrying about how other people dress is the antithesis of that attitude.
And although I'm always aware, and always keep an eye out for my neighbors, some organized neighborhood watches are way down the slippery slope to being officious busybodies and self-appointed adjuncts of the nanny-state.

Tinpig

Sam1911
April 20, 2012, 09:45 AM
I think my 9month old might secretly be a gangbanger. He wears a hoodie a lot ... and with hood up, too!

I think he learned it from his 3- and 7-year-old brothers, though...and I know they are straight-up THUGS!

;)

NinjaFeint
April 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
Growing up in the northeast, I have been wearing hoodies since I was a kid. It doesn't draw any attention and frankly no one cares what logo is on it either.

Husker_Fan
April 20, 2012, 10:00 AM
Don't worry Sam. At that age they won't rob you. They just slowly bleed your finances. :)

Sam1911
April 20, 2012, 10:16 AM
Don't worry Sam. At that age they won't rob you. They just slowly bleed your finances.Oh, I've been held up at light-saber-point before. But just for "tookies" and popcicles, so ... you know, no real need to draw down on 'em. ;)

hso
April 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
I pick my daughter up at school twice a week and drop her off if I'm in town. I see 11-13 year old boys and girls with their hoods up on their sweat shirts in bad weather but I also see it in good.

Tell me exactly how someone is going to tell the difference between my lightweight Northface in dark gray in a drizzle at twilight or the evening with the hood up and a black/dark gray hoodie? Do I need to be afraid to wear my rain jacket now because some people's lack of experience or personal prejudices?

Cosmoline
April 20, 2012, 12:02 PM
It all goes in cycles. In a few more decades the old men will be going around with exposed underwear from their skater days and the gang bangers will be wearing high pants with suspenders and lumberjack shirts.

StrutStopper
April 20, 2012, 01:21 PM
I normally wear hoodies either alone or under a jacket, depending on weather. I wear one at work regularly too when it is a bit chilly in the office. I usually don't have the hood up, unless its raining. A couple of weeks ago I was wearing one at the range, and the brass from two lanes to my left was flying into my lane and I put the hood up to prevent getting rained on by hot brass. Someone commented that now they new the reason why gang bangers wear hoodies. Not for looks, just to protect themselves from the flying brass.

wild cat mccane
April 20, 2012, 01:26 PM
http://www.abercrombie.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10901&storeId=10051&langId=-1&topCategoryId=12202&categoryId=12351&parentCategoryId=12351

Shut up. Gang members only wear hoodies, and hoodies are worn by only gang members?

<deleted>

The gun community needs to go after uneducated opinion like this.

Hunterdad
April 20, 2012, 01:28 PM
I can't believe some of the responses on hear. A hoodie is an article of clothing....nothing more. I wear a hoodie every day in the fall/spring and have yet to be told I look like a gangster.

wild cat mccane
April 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
Part of the same crowd that screams about freedom but then attacks people for wearing a hoodied sweatshirt...wth?

wannabeagunsmith
April 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
This reminds me of the "insensitive" repub party months after the Giffords shooting auctioning off a Glock and he wailing the left wing media put out over it. And the Santa with "machine guns" whining.

wild cat mccane
April 20, 2012, 02:12 PM
There are people that disagree with you.

There were even some in the right who didn't agree with it.

Sam1911
April 20, 2012, 02:33 PM
le cheval est mort. Vive le cheval!

If you enjoyed reading about "NRA selling hoodies with concealed carry pockets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!