10mm Wolf BBL

PDA

Mike 27
April 20, 2012, 04:42 PM
Well I just ordered a Wolf BBL for my G20 10mm and was wondering if anyone has experience with them. Wondering if I should go ahead and order some new brass as I have seen some other calibers on threads that had problems chambering brass from the factory bbl with any bulge in them. Trying to avoid a little frustration and go ahead and get some on the way if I need it as there is not any here local in Alaska and I will have to order it from the lower 48.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "10mm Wolf BBL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GJgo
April 20, 2012, 07:47 PM
I probably would get some new brass just in case. Often times the sizing die won't size *all* the way to the base (to remove the bulge).

My solution was to buy a Lee FCD. I now use them for all my pistol loads as a last step in the press.

Mike 27
April 20, 2012, 07:54 PM
I thought about the bulge busters but really don't want to do that. I should have clarified it is a newer gen 3. I don't have any huge bulges but have read on a few threads of some guys have issues with the slightest bulge with the wolf bbl's. May go ahead and do it as I figure it couldn't hurt to start with new stuff with this one.

Lloyd Smale
April 21, 2012, 06:07 AM
i bought one myself and havent go it yet to really say but after i bought it i read this http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1414663 and have some doubts. By the way theres some controversy on that post but I will say this. I personaly know the guy that started that thread and he does know his ### when it comes to glocks.

Lloyd Smale
April 21, 2012, 06:09 AM
I also ordered one of these sizers for my 10 and 40 glock and one for the 9mm. I dont like the idea of a push through die that adds another step to the loading process. these are just a modified lee die that is supose to size them down farther and still decap while doing it. http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-re...eloading-dies/

Mike 27
April 21, 2012, 11:50 AM
I took a look at the glock forum you referenced Lloyd, and that is some good info. I do have some lead already sitting on the bench, but I really bought the barrel for a little tighter chamber. Hope I can get the lead to work well without spending another 30 bucks to send it back for a reaming. Thanks for the info....

Mike

tlen
April 21, 2012, 12:31 PM
IMHO it's a little late to ask for "experience" after you have already placed an order.
Buy 10mm brass at Starline. Shipping is included in the price but you may have to wait until the next 10mm run.

Mike 27
April 21, 2012, 12:43 PM
I was going to buy the bbl and did my research. Just trying to decide now before I get it and have to wait a week for new brass to come in. I can get new ammo here in town but at 35 a box and it is FC cases, I was thinking of ordering a few hundred new brass just in case the old stuff wont fit. I plan on running a box of factory through it before my loads just as a test. Same as I do with my pistols when they are new.

anaxagoras
April 22, 2012, 10:47 AM
fwiw, i have a 4 year old gen 3 glock 20 sf and a wolf barrel.

I have taken once fired american eagle brass from the barrel, reloaded some hot book loads with a hornady sizing die (i'm sure other dies would give the same effect) and fed them into the wolf barrel no problem.

These AE rounds feel like they're loaded to around .40 s&w so the brass is hardly bulging. I have never run anything more than a warm book load through the stock barrel.

tspinillo
April 22, 2012, 11:54 AM
I recently installed Lone Wolf barrels in my G20 and G29. When setting up my Dillon, I used the barrels to do the "plunk test". I have run about 2000 rounds each through both guns since getting the barrels last month (180 grain jacketed Zero's, 8 grains of Longshot)

I started reloading with about 300 pieces range pickup brass, and a few hundred pieces that I shot through my factory barrels. No malfunctions so far.

I have lead Missouri 180's that I'm going to tackle later this week, I will update if any issues.

Mike 27
April 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
Thanks. That was what I was looking for. I have Hornady dies as well. I have loaded one set of extremely hot loads from the Hornady 7th edition AA7. The Hornady 8th reduced this load considerably but I trashed a number of cases. I am looking forward to getting this bbl in, I have 250 HSM lead projectiles on the bench as well. Hope those feed as well but if not I will tackle that when I get to it.

Mike

ljnowell
April 22, 2012, 12:12 PM
I had two of them for my g21. Sold both. I had one of them remachined by lone wolf, the second I didnt see the point. It was no more accurate than my stock barrel and I shoot lead just fine out of it. I chalked it up to a lesson learned. I would not buy another ANYTHING from them either.

Mike 27
April 26, 2012, 12:43 AM
Just an update, got the bbl today and everything seems great. My jacketed on the old drop test is good, and for the heck of it I loaded a dummy lead HSM and is works well also. I need to drop an order with Missouri so think I will add a batch of 10mm with it. The chamber is much tighter as expected, and the support looks a little better on the feed ramp. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Thanks again for the advice all.

Mike

If you enjoyed reading about "10mm Wolf BBL" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!