Boycott Bank of America

PDA

Buckeye Dan
April 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, McMillan Firearms Manufacturing, McMillan Group International have been collectively banking with Bank of America for 12 years. Today Mr. XXX YYY, Senior Vice President, Market Manager, Business Banking, Global Commercial Banking came to my office. He scheduled the meeting as an “account analysis” meeting in order to evaluate the two lines of credit we have with them. He spent 5 minutes talking about how McMillan has changed in the last 5 years and have become more of a firearms manufacturer than a supplier of accessories.
At this point I interrupted him and asked “Can I possible save you some time so that you don’t waste your breath? What you are going to tell me is that because we are in the firearms manufacturing business you no longer what my business.”
“That is correct” he says.
I replied “That is okay, we will move our accounts as soon as possible. We can find a 2nd Amendment friendly bank that will be glad to have our business. You won’t mind if I tell the NRA, SCI and everyone one I know that BofA is not firearms industry friendly?”
“You have to do what you must” he said.
“So you are telling me this is a politically motivated decision, is that right?”
Mr YYY confirmed that it was. At which point I told him that the meeting was over and there was nothing let for him to say.

I think it is import for all Americans who believe in and support our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms should know when a business does not support these rights. What you do with that knowledge is up to you. When I don’t agree with a business’ political position I can not in good conscience support them. We will soon no longer be accepting Bank of America credit cards as payment for our products.

Kelly D McMillan
Director of Operations
McMillan Group International, LLC
623-582-9635
www.mcmillanusa.com

Source: https://www.facebook.com/McMillanGroupInternational

If you enjoyed reading about "Boycott Bank of America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2zulu1
April 20, 2012, 09:29 PM
Post forwarded.

rswartsell
April 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
Man, this is only one good reason to avoid BOA like the plague. There are others.

Rich-D
April 20, 2012, 09:34 PM
Agreed, post forwarded!

OldMac
April 20, 2012, 10:36 PM
This is reason enough for me to avoid them at all cost. The 2nd Ammendment is one of the criical foundations of America. BoA should surrender the name and adopt a more appropriate and less misleading title since they have given up any loyalty to the constitution. Just after the bank bailouts, our congressmen, jimmy duncan jr, reported that BoA recieved $40B in the first installment and immediately moved $7.5B to the China Development Corp instead of reinvesting the fund in the USA.

rswartsell
April 20, 2012, 10:40 PM
They are snakes of the lowest order, believe me.

TarDevil
April 20, 2012, 10:46 PM
Wish I could boycott them...but I have avoided them for years, and always will.

horsemen61
April 20, 2012, 11:13 PM
So I am closing my accounts with them after hearing this

loose noose
April 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
I had a Bass Pro Shops Master card that was from BOA which I cancelled as soon as I saw who I was making payments to. They called and wanted to know why I was cancelling them. Needless to say I told them in no uncertain terms.:fire:

CharlieDeltaJuliet
April 20, 2012, 11:43 PM
Called and cancelled my credit card with them, made sure to go into detail why. Corperate dogs...

Teachu2
April 21, 2012, 12:39 AM
It would be interesting to find out if BofA makes loans etc to local gun shops, ranges, sporting goods retailers who sell guns, etc. It may be that they have determined that the gun MANUFACTURING industry in the U.S. is too risky to invest shareholders' money in. Entirely different than being anti-gun, it would be a responsible decision for a bank to make. When large banks make such decisions, they are usually no exceptions.

Might as well boycott WalMart - they won't notice, either. Too bad McMillan is taking a business decision personally and denying customers the right to choose how they pay for McMillan products. I have a rather high limit BofA card that I purchase firearms and related products with (and pay off monthly) that I won't be able to use with McMillan. Strange that BofA allows me to keep that account - I've been buying a lot of gun stuff lately.

The Second Amendment doesn't guarantee gun manufacturers financing, nor does it even address gun manufacturers. It gives the people the right to keep and bear arms.

dprice3844444
April 21, 2012, 12:47 AM
send to nra

bowman1962
April 21, 2012, 12:58 AM
Comment withdrawn!

Tomcat47
April 21, 2012, 01:05 AM
Bank of America......The new Oxy-Moron!...........:scrutiny:

Hopefully we will have a lot of vacant buildings in the future for gun shops!

bubbacrabb
April 21, 2012, 05:48 AM
I understand your frustration, but I am not going to close my account because of this. There are simply so many factors that wouldnt matter if every gun owner closed their account it wouldnt matter. Its just another bad thing that happened to a business. I know your business and lived about 2 miles from it. I couldnt afford to get anything done at your business. Not that it matters. Just saying you'll do fine with the market of people you appeal to. Just as me getting money out of my account with no charge appeals to me. Banks dont have a whole lot to do with the 2nd amendment. The second amendment includes weapons and the right to keep them. Neither has to do with my checking account. Find a better bank.

Manson
April 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
I have always disliked boa so I can't stop doing business with them.

mec
April 21, 2012, 10:27 AM
these boycotts do make a difference-at least on paper. BOAs stocks have taken a big hit recently-due, in part to their issuance of credit cards to illegal aliens. No doubt their overall lefty-feelgood ambiance has had something to do with it too. Green This, Volunteer That, Social This, That and The Other. They hardly have time to manage money.
On the other hand, it appears that they are totally underwritten by the united states government via the democratic party so, until those things go away, it may not really matter what they do.

4v50 Gary
April 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
I have always disliked BoA. This just gives me another reason to avoid them.

KTXdm9
April 21, 2012, 11:48 AM
Wow, that's disappointing.

Double Naught Spy
April 21, 2012, 12:23 PM
I think it is import for all Americans who believe in and support our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms should know when a business does not support these rights.

Other than my own, I know of no business that supports all of my rights. I think that most of you will find that if you look into nearly ever corporate business, most will have some aspect of their business that is not supportive of the 2nd amendment. Maybe they are okay with custoemers carrying, but not employees.

these boycotts do make a difference-at least on paper. BOAs stocks have taken a big hit recently-due, in part to their issuance of credit cards to illegal aliens. No doubt their overall lefty-feelgood ambiance has had something to do with it too. Green This, Volunteer That, Social This, That and The Other. They hardly have time to manage money.
On the other hand, it appears that they are totally underwritten by the united states government via the democratic party so, until those things go away, it may not really matter what they do.

How would you know if such a boycott was actually working against BOA? As near as I can tell from Google, there are upwards of 15 different boycotts of BOA and at least 6 different organizations fixated on boycotting BOA.

I am not sure what the big hit BOA stocks took as a result of any of the boycotts, especially the one as a result of the illegal alien issue. In the last 200 days, BAC has followed the DOW's trends fairly closely. When one is up, so is the other and vice versa. It is also interesting that you noted the stocks took a hit because of the alien issue when there have been protests against BOA since 2007 when their program was made public. Stock analysts have been much slower than you in identifying such a connection in stock price to the illegal alien credit card boycott issue.

I have also noticed how all the boycotts of Anti-gun Apple have really driven the prices down to record highs of late.

Given the dozen+ or dozens of boycotts against such companies, you would be hard pressed to be able to identify the effect of any one boycott on stock price.

bikerdoc
April 21, 2012, 01:10 PM
Duly noted and forwarded to an extensive list of folks.

Boanerges57
April 21, 2012, 01:13 PM
JP Morgan Chase
Allows its employees in bank branches to concealed carry if the state allows and they are properly certified.
Very few employees do carry but they are allowed to at least.

mec
April 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
"How do you know"...etc,etc, etc

Lacking your keen intellect and encyclopedic knowlege of fiscal policy, seeing a number of things like this make me think that BOA stock is taking some kind of significant hit. Of course, you are right.There is no proof that the boycots have any effect
http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-08-23/news/30052426_1_bank-assets-current-value

Hacker15E
April 21, 2012, 01:51 PM
Lacking your keen intellect and encyclopedic knowlege of fiscal policy, seeing a number of things like this make me think that BOA stock is taking some kind of significant hit. Of course, you are right.There is no proof that the boycots have any effect
http://articles.businessinsider.com/...-current-value

Despite that article being 8 months old, the fact of the matter is that ALL of the banks stocks have been doing poorly during this period, including now.

To think that a single bank's performance is poor due to an aggregate of user boycotts, when in an environment where all of the financial institutions are doing poorly, is just not realistic logic.

Manson
April 21, 2012, 02:04 PM
It sounds like some members are attempting to discourage boycott's and account closing. Saying it will make no difference. No one actually advises us not to close an account but attempt to dissuade us by claiming no effect. Myself I vote with my wallet. And will continue to do so.

Recently there was a small revolt against banks who decided to charge a monthly fee for debit card use. I went to the window and asked to close my account. The teller sent me to the manager and she told me that her branch was being closed BECAUSE OF THE NUMBER OF ACCOUNT CLOSURES. One less Regions bank in town.

So whatever you believe, vote with your wallet. It counts and don't let anyone tell you differently.

Missesalot
April 21, 2012, 02:11 PM
I just closed all my stuff with them

rogn
April 21, 2012, 03:44 PM
As soon as I find a dependable constitutionally friendly bank, our accounts are out the door. If enough people follow suit, in our case a reasonably substantial amount, there will be changes in bank policy and even personal. Come on, find a good institution and start voting with your feet.

hso
April 22, 2012, 09:13 AM
To optimize the effect of a boycott you need to tell the business you want to change policy or practice exactly why you're taking your business to their competitor. It also helps to identify who is getting your business in place of them. Be specific and polite.

Boycotts do work, but only if the business knows what is happening and why (and if enough people act together).

I started a petition on change.org as a way to communicate and coordinate the effort.

theicemanmpls
April 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Banks, and bankers exist for one reason only. To make money.

The company in question, Mcmillian makes niche products for niche buyers. >$5000. for a .243 deer rifle without glass. >$700 for a K-bar knife.

Before passing judgment on BOA, I would sure like to hear their side. Of course, we never will.

I had a BOA account a very long time ago. No complaints.

Some of the comments from others are way out there. I wonder what the news sources are? "BOA in vests money with China, not America. BOA gives credit cards to illegals?" I have always wondered where those folks who slave away at the fast food places get their credit cards. NOT!

I wish the folks over at McMillan the best.

I am not buying their story why BOA cut off their funding.

hso
April 22, 2012, 04:41 PM
There's some history of BoA being caught up in a similar controversy a couple of years ago, but they denied that there was any corporate policy.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2010/bank-of-america-clarifies-position.aspx?s=bank+of+america&st=&ps=

In the face of the quotes from BoA's Mr. Fox it will be interesting to see how BoA responds to the accusations of politically motivated bias.

General Tso
April 22, 2012, 05:38 PM
http://www.gunsandammo.com/2012/04/22/bank-of-america-drops-mcmillan-group-for-being-firearms-manufacturer/

Just saw it. We may not break them, but we sure shouldn't help them!

brigadier
April 22, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think BofA WANTS to go out of business. Every thing they do anymore it seams just ticks their customers (and potential customers) off.

When it comes to firearm manufacturers, I wouldn't exclude the possibility that the choice to cut them has more to do with the decisions of rogue employees then company policy. It's not unusual for gun haters to use their positions to support their agenda, even when it directly conflicts the policy of the person/s they work for.

Even so, banks DO support causes.

murphys_law
April 22, 2012, 08:33 PM
Consumers get to choose who they support, if bofa doesn't lend to gun manufacturers then they should be able to choose not to support them based on their beliefs if they do not want to. You may not like that, but, this is capitalism at its best. I for one love it.

Geno
April 22, 2012, 09:18 PM
How "durned" ironic, that approximately 4 years ago, as I stood in the middle of a Bank of Amerika BANK ROBBERY, the BoA teller repeatedly requested that I intervene with my concealed pistol. Can you say "out-of-touch"?!

I am pleased that I elected to leave BoA, and go to Chase, where ALL of my tellers, and local reps ALL carry concealed!

Geno

hso
April 22, 2012, 10:24 PM
Folks, this is not a thread to trash BoA for any and all reasons, just the 2A ones.

Deltaboy
April 22, 2012, 11:31 PM
Well my bank was bought out by Bank of America so I am sticking with them because they have taken care of me since I have been with them since 1993.

o Unforgiven o
April 23, 2012, 03:46 AM
Bank of America exists for one reason, to make money handling mine. I have had my Bank of America account for going on three years now and have never once had a problem. It costs me next to nothing to bank with them, my savings account is growing steadily and whenever I need it my money is available. That is all I can ask from Bank of America or any bank for that matter, and I will not be closing anything with them. The story of what happened to McMillan may be true, however true is still half of the story and not even close to what I would consider to be "account closing".

I have never owned/held/shot/ anything McMillan in person, and that is probably true for half of the people "closing all accounts" because of this half-a-story posted. Bank of America decided (according to McMillan) to cut ties because of "political reasons". :scrutiny: Right, one of the largest banks in the country out of the blue cuts ties with a small high end gun company that is only known to a small percentage of the gun community, and a non-existent percentage of everyone else because of "political reasons". Ok...Hows the kool aid taste?

Jamie B
April 23, 2012, 03:48 AM
We want to let you know that we hear your comments and questions regarding one of our customers. While we cannot discuss the details of any individual client we work with, we can assure you the allegations being made here are completely false. Bank of America does not have a policy that prohibits us from banking clients in this industry. In fact, we have numerous, longstanding customers in the industry.

We are also extremely proud of our support of the US military and reject any assertion to the contrary. We count as clients many companies that provide for our nation's defense. We employ thousands of veterans, Guardsmen, and Reservists, and plan to increase our hiring this year.

This was just posted on the BOA FB page.
To me, it says absolutely nothing of conviction.....

Manson
April 23, 2012, 08:18 AM
Here I would like to agree with hso and enlarge a bit on the point. This is or at least should be about 2A. If what we have been told is true you may or may not vote with your wallet.

But many of the point's (true or not) that have been brought up are irrelevant. Including facts that seem aimed at the McMillan business. What they charge for there product is irrelevant. If BOA is guilty of bias business practice with them is the only point that matters.

As an aside many may feel it important to point out BOA's acceptance of billions of dollars in bail out money. This is a related point as it makes bias practice towards any American business more serious. Citizens who support 2A and pay taxes should consider such bias carefully.

bikerdoc
April 23, 2012, 08:19 AM
Quote:
We want to let you know that we hear your comments and questions regarding one of our customers. While we cannot discuss the details of any individual client we work with, we can assure you the allegations being made here are completely false. Bank of America does not have a policy that prohibits us from banking clients in this industry. In fact, we have numerous, longstanding customers in the industry.

We are also extremely proud of our support of the US military and reject any assertion to the contrary. We count as clients many companies that provide for our nation's defense. We employ thousands of veterans, Guardsmen, and Reservists, and plan to increase our hiring this year.

This was just posted on the BOA FB page.

Typical spin Dr formula. Deny and refocus. Bet they like Mom, apple pie and baseball also.

All the hoopla aside each of us must make our decisions based on our own value systems.
I will do business with companies that I find support my values.

hso
April 23, 2012, 12:10 PM
Getting a reaction from BoA is good, but they don't actually say they exclude firearms manufacturers. I hope that they'll expand upon their statement to make it clear that they do not excludes small firearms manufacturers from banking with them.

watergun
April 23, 2012, 01:23 PM
I wish I was doing business with them so could close my accounts. I will support you every way possible including ordering a new McMillan stock. Thanks for having principles.

elwoodm
April 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
i dont have an acct with them but there not the only bank that has tried to trash a company that deals with firearms and acc. wells fargo held over 10000 a month from buymilsurp that doesnt sell firearms only gun parts because they dont associate with gun dealers, go to there web site www.buymilsurp.com for the whole story. no need to make a big deal about it just stop doing business with that kind garbage. they and the media dont tell me how i should think.

elrowe
April 23, 2012, 05:56 PM
Before pulling all your money, I suggest a little further research. If BofA has an anti-gun policy, why are they backing Freedom Group's notes?

"Elsewhere, talk of 8% area is out on the US$250m third lien senior secured notes from FGI Operating Co (Freedom Group Inc). The eight-year non-call three issue is being led by
BofA Merrill, Deutsche Bank and RBC joint books. Proceeds of the deal, which is expected to price in the afternoon, will be used to fund bond tender offers. Freedom Group makes guns and ammunition." - http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-04-12/news/sns-rt-markets-uscorpbondsl2e8fcdm6-20120412_1_senior-notes-high-yield-market-municipal-bonds

Freedom Group puts out a LOT more guns than McMillan, if BofA thinks guns are bad wouldn't they not have done this just a few days ago?

Are we all sure that this wasn't just some rogue from BofA or some other issue?

No, I don't work for BofA, bank there, or have any credit cards they issue.

Jamie B
April 23, 2012, 06:36 PM
The beatings continue on Bank of UnAmerica's FB page!

ObsidianOne
April 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
Already a 4 page thread on this :)

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=655457&highlight=bank+of+america

w6br
April 23, 2012, 08:17 PM
First they took our Money ($500 :cuss:million), now they want to take our Guns!!

I can't say enough nice things about them - I will be meeting with my Banker tomorrow and transfer my account!!

Ron

smlake
April 23, 2012, 08:34 PM
That's $500 billion not $500 million, $500 million is only 1/2 of one billion.

theicemanmpls
April 23, 2012, 10:36 PM
I was thinking, what if I wanted to move my accounts from my present bank to another?

What a pain in the behind.

I am having a difficult time believing that so many folks are closing their bank accounts because of an unverified story on THR. Yes BofA has been in the news and had bad press. But to suffer a major inconvenience over a story that may not even be true?

Could it be the folks over at Mcmillan are trying to drum up some high end business?

I am very skeptical about this whole story.

Jim NE
April 23, 2012, 11:21 PM
send to nra

+1. An article in America's First Freedom magazine might take some of the self-righteous hot air out of Bank of Amerika's sails.

Buckeye Dan
April 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
I was thinking, what if I wanted to move my accounts from my present bank to another?

What a pain in the behind.

I am having a difficult time believing that so many folks are closing their bank accounts because of an unverified story on THR. Yes BofA has been in the news and had bad press. But to suffer a major inconvenience over a story that may not even be true?

Could it be the folks over at Mcmillan are trying to drum up some high end business?

21 mins ago:

I just want to let everyone we will post here and on our website which bank we finally choose as our bank. We have had a large number of banks that have expressed an interest in being our bank of choice. You can rest assured that we will pick the appropriate bank and that they will be clear about their support of our 2nd Amendment rights and the firearms industry in general.

Many of you may have seen BofA's official position. Frankly it doesn't surprise me. It hurts some for others to claim that I am dishonest and that what I posted didn't happen, but it doesn't surprise me. I haven't made any claims about what their policy is, I haven't even made any speculation. I just reported the events which took place in my office.

I am in the process of checking with my merchant services provider to find out whether or not I will be able to discontinue taking BofA credit cards for payment. It has been mentioned that my contract with Visa and MasterCard may prevent me from doing so. Either way I will let everyone no when I get the news.

I remember a saying I have heard most of my life, if you tell the truth you don't have to have a good memory. Rest assured my story won't change. I might get better at typing and proof reading, God knows I need that, but the story remains the same.

Again thanks to everyone for your support. Do me a favor and tag in and let me know if you happen to hear any of the radio interviews scheduled over the next few days.

Jamie B
April 23, 2012, 11:43 PM
Not at the risk of libel and slander.

Nomad
April 24, 2012, 04:09 AM
I actually emailed Kelly McMillan this afternoon and he verified the story was true and he had written the letter. To me they deserve our support not to mention the fact we are sending a message on supporting the 2nd Amendment. I think McMillan has been selling stocks since the late 70's and were a pioneer in the industry.

Manson
April 24, 2012, 05:57 AM
I'm not sure how refusing to take a large bank's credit cards drums up business. If anything this will hurt their business at least in the short term.

murphys_law
April 24, 2012, 08:57 AM
I'm not sure how refusing to take a large bank's credit cards drums up business. If anything this will hurt their business at least in the short term.

Obviously this is about principle, not getting additional business.

hso
April 24, 2012, 08:58 AM
They're not looking for business by taking a stand on this issue. They're taking a stand and are willing to deal with the business consequences. BoA took a stand and will have to deal with the business consequences as well.

Sav .250
April 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
Lucky for me I`ve never had any dealings with BOA.

mgmorden
April 24, 2012, 10:50 AM

They're closing their own accounts with BoA - I think they'll run into EXTREME difficulty refusing the cards.

Refusing anything with a Visa or Mastercard logo on it (regardless of the issuing bank) is a violation of the merchant agreement and they'd likely have their ability to take ANY credit cards pulled if they actually tried to do that.

Davek1977
April 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
Bubbacrabb saidBanks dont have a whole lot to do with the 2nd amendment If that were true, this thread wouldn't exist. THIS PARTICULAR bank decided they wanted to take a stand regarding firearms. THEY made the decision to deny services strictly because of gun politics. It only seems reasonable that most gun owners or at least gun rights supporters would take an issue with this sort of thing. I DONT have any accounts with BOA, but would close them knowing this info if i did. McMILLIAN had every right to take this personally...they were attacked and denied service strictly for being about guns. I doubt they care that some people buy their guns with BOA plastic. There are bigger, more important issues involved than someone not being able to use their high limit boa card on MCMILLIAN goods. TEACHU2, how is ANY of this the fault of McMillian? BOA said they didn't want their business based on gun politics. How is that 'McMillain taking it personally?" If your bank one day called you in and said 'You make dogfood. We don't like dogfood. Your business is no longer welcome here" wouldn't YOU take it personal? Even if you weren't offended, theres not much recourse you can have. Noone can force BOA to change the policy...unless its through public pressure from their current and/or former customers.

Double Naught Spy
April 27, 2012, 09:39 AM

The story is true and some people will be moving accounts, but in the grand scheme, such a move isn't likely to change how BOA does business. Maybe somebody else can find it, but I can't find a single boycott of BOA that has resulted in BOA changing how it does business. In fact, I can't find where any pro-gun boycotts have successfully changed any large banking institutions.

Pro-gun folks have been calling for a boycott of BOA since at least as far back as 2001 because of their denial to give lines of credit to gun businesses and closure of gun business accounts. Eleven years have gone by and they are still doing it.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65518&highlight=boycott+bank+of+america

Buckeye Dan
April 28, 2012, 02:24 AM
http://www.ammoland.com/2012/04/27/why-doesnt-bank-of-unamerica-issue-a-statement-of-support-for-the-second-amendment/

Manson
April 28, 2012, 07:44 AM
Double, I'm sure you are correct. A couple of hundred or even a couple of thousand account closures will not affect how BOA does business. But that doesn't mean that it isn't important to do so.

The account closures will shine a light on the business practice of a Bank that accepts public money and then selectively decides what portion of the public it will and will not serve. It is important that we speak out in the only way we can. Close accounts and let them know why.

rhinoh
April 28, 2012, 09:06 AM
I will keep my BOA card, I will not cancel it.

However, I will never use it again which actually costs them money!
Food for thought, hit them in the wallet instead of just canceling.

I find it ironic my BOA card is through Bass Pro which is also a gun/ammo retailer...???

hso
April 28, 2012, 01:18 PM
By bringing these sorts of issues to the attention of others through websites, online petitions, social media we can bring them to the attention of the media giving more people the opportunity to make their opinions clear to companies like BoA and McMillan.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/04/27/gun-manufacturer-says-bank-american-doesnt-want-his-business/

Don't assume that your voice doesn't matter or that it can't make a difference unless you refuse to use it.

bikerdoc
April 28, 2012, 05:29 PM
Don't assume that your voice doesn't matter or that it can't make a difference unless you refuse to use it.

So my nephew says "hey unk I'm buying a house and I need a mortgage, Where should I go?

:) Not BOA

Vern Humphrey
April 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
I find it ironic my BOA card is through Bass Pro which is also a gun/ammo retailer...???
Have you considered contacting Bass Pro and asking them to talk to their business partner, BOA?

mberoose
April 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
I find it pathetic that guns, of all things, would cause people to boycott them NOW. I realize guns are near & dear to many hearts, but for the love of god, what about their general business practices for all these years?! Those get a pass?!

Vern Humphrey
April 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
No -- it's just that this is a gun board, not a business practices board.

mberoose
April 28, 2012, 10:00 PM
That's fine, but when the word "boycott" is thrown around for such an eternally dirty institution, I can't help but think about what other matters we have our collective blinders on to until it hits something dear to us. And that's frustrating.

hso
April 29, 2012, 12:08 AM
As pointed out, THR is a firearms forum. Plenty of other calls for action against BOA are already in place, BUT we don't deal with issues other than 2A/RKBA ones here. We don't go outside that scope.

wrs840
April 29, 2012, 12:19 AM
BOA has been a PC turd-polishing organization since their get-go.

I'm disappointed in any of you that didn't figure that out a long time ago.

Double Naught Spy
April 29, 2012, 03:05 AM
Double, I'm sure you are correct. A couple of hundred or even a couple of thousand account closures will not affect how BOA does business. But that doesn't mean that it isn't important to do so.

The account closures will shine a light on the business practice of a Bank that accepts public money and then selectively decides what portion of the public it will and will not serve. It is important that we speak out in the only way we can. Close accounts and let them know why.

You are right. It is important to do so. My point is that it would be best that people had a more realistic perspective on what their individual account closures may mean. BOA is the 2nd largest banking institution in the US. http://www.ffiec.gov/nicpubweb/nicweb/Top50Form.aspx They are not even likely to notice a few account closures. As I noted, there are at least 15 ongoing calls for folks to boycott BOA and there have been calls for gun folks to boycott BOA since 2001. You have to wonder why companies like McMillan went with BOA despite the already noted calls for boycotts in the past by gun folks. Why are we even surprised or upset that McMillan opted to support an anti-gun company for so long before finally getting screwed by it? BOA's anti-gun policy isn't hidden. Why would McMillan do business with such a company in the first place? Should we not be upset with McMillan for supporting the opposition for so long especially given Kelly McMillan's statement that...
I think it is import for all Americans who believe in and support our 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms should know when a business does not support these rights.

If Kelly thought it was so important tht folks know when a business does not support their 2A rights, how come McMillan didn't figure this out until after being dropped? Apparently, it was not important enough for McMillan to verify if companies, suppliers, etc. with which they do business is anti-gun.

Additionally, McMillan has apparently had no problem with selling their guns to various governments (including ours) that are less than supportive of 2A or gun rights (in countries where there is no 2A).
http://www.mcmfamily.com/pdfs/McMillan%20Awarded%20Multiple%20Contracts.pdf

A boycott by gun owners isn't likely to have any discernable affect on BOA much for the same reasons that concealed carry isn't causing massive drops in crime. Gunowners make up too little of the BOA population and most of those who are there don't give such matters much thought. As a community, we can't even get most folks with concealed carry permits to carried most of the time which is something that could potentially save their lives. So there is no reason to expect that more than just a small fraction of gun owning BOA customers will bother to boycott.

As noted, Bass Pro's credit cards are through BOA. Don't we want to boycott Bass Pro for supporting an anti-gun company like BOA? How about Gander Mountain? They do anti-gun Paypal.

Boycott BOA because it is the right thing to do, but don't be deluded into believing that you are actually going to have some sort of significant impact on their bottom line. We have been boycotting them for 11 years now and haven't managed to change their minds on the gun issue.

spikedzombies
April 29, 2012, 03:07 AM
I switched my bofa accounts over this past week to my local credit union. So I'm good to go.

"Sent via the Skyrim messenger service"

Varob
April 29, 2012, 07:05 AM
Credit Unions usually avoid issues like 2A and stick to raising money for things like school playgrounds and breast cancer research.

moto_stevo
April 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
I was wondering what makes a bank all of a sudden not wanting to support a successful business? Seems like a bad decision, fiscally, in these economic times.
I have been wondering if this was possibly an attempt at gun control from a behind the scenes angle, and if this political decision were motivated by government bailouts.

BCCL
April 29, 2012, 09:57 AM
It's BOA, trying to find any sense or logic in their behavior is like herding cats.........

we are not amused
April 30, 2012, 12:19 AM
Today on Tom Greshman's GunTalk, he had Kelly McMillion on as a guest. Here is a link, http://guntalk.libsyn.com/webpage/guntalk-2012-04-29-part-a

I am not going to give the details, listen for yourself. You might learn something. For those who don't at least occasionally listen to Guntalk, why, in the name of all things guns, not?!

Sgt_R
May 7, 2012, 08:44 AM
I am not going to give the details, listen for yourself. You might learn something. For those who don't at least occasionally listen to Guntalk, why, in the name of all things guns, not?!

A synopsis would be helpful, for those of us behind firewalls which block streaming media.

As to the OP, I've been boycotting Bank of America since 2004, when I closed all of my accounts and moved my cash into a local credit union. I guess I was just ahead of the curve. ;)

R

Double Naught Spy
May 7, 2012, 11:19 AM
I was wondering what makes a bank all of a sudden not wanting to support a successful business? Seems like a bad decision, fiscally, in these economic times.
I have been wondering if this was possibly an attempt at gun control from a behind the scenes angle, and if this political decision were motivated by government bailouts.

BOA has been anti-gun and dropping clients since at least 2001.

This is not a government conspiracy fueled by the bailouts.

It's BOA, trying to find any sense or logic in their behavior is like herding cats.........

Yeah, you make any sense out of McMillan happily supported anti-gun BOA for the last 11 years and why the only chose to take a stand AFTER BOA cut off their CC service?

Hugo
May 9, 2012, 11:39 AM
whoops double post.

Hugo
May 9, 2012, 11:42 AM
Discouraging any local (and successful) business and account holders is the dumbest thing a bank can do. Being against manufacturing in the USA just because it's firearms or parts? Really?!! It's like Bank of America is deliberately sabotaging itself and/or the economy! What the Frak!??

Boycott Bank of America! I bet a bank with a stagecoach theme wouldn't do this insane crap!

Green Lantern
May 12, 2012, 11:45 PM
For those who don't at least occasionally listen to Guntalk, why, in the name of all things guns, not?!

Two words...dial up. :(

ETA: I first heard of this issue through Grass Roots North Carolina, I guess as BoA is based here in Charlotte.

GEM
May 13, 2012, 12:30 PM
When I hear boycott on the Internet, I think of other futile gestures. Boycotting SW might have worked as the boycott would be by their core customers. Not the case for BOA.

I heard that the adopted kids organization (certainly a worthy cause), called for a boycott of the Avengers movie. Why because when some Avengers gave Thor a hard time about his brother Loki - he quipped that he was adopted.

The movie just broke second weekend cash records. Boycott?

Just a thought.

oldcelt
May 14, 2012, 03:29 PM
I would sooner bury my money and burn my check book and credit card than do any business with B.O.A.

KevinB
July 28, 2012, 10:56 AM
I'm currently in the process of moving all my funds to a local institution. The only thing I have left is a small amount in my checking account which I use to donate to the NRA and other pro-second amendment non-profit organizations. My BOA staments resemble something like this:

Withdrawal-
NRA
NRA
NRA
Gun Owners America
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
NRA
Etc.

Hope they appreciate the irony ;)

Double Naught Spy
July 28, 2012, 11:48 AM
No, but they do appreciate the fact that you still have money deposited with them. Apparently you have missed the irony of your money removal apparently being sure to maintain balances. You haven't closed your account.

Do you appreciate the irony that you are still funding pro-2A endeavors with money processed through an anti-2a bank and you apparently continue to be doing so repeatedly. The irony is on you, not BofA that has no soul. All they care about is the bottle line that YOU are helping maintain be leaving money in your accounts to send to the NRA and GOA.

Isn't there a way you could send money to those institutions from 2a-friendly banks? That way, you won't continue to be supporting those that you are hoping to trump with irony when you aren't.

leadcounsel
July 28, 2012, 02:05 PM
I recently refinanced my mortgage away from BoA. I also refuse to bank with them. And I stopped using their ATMs (and giving them $3 each time).

Yes, I boycott these jerks.

KevinB
July 28, 2012, 05:06 PM
Isn't there a way you could send money to those institutions from 2a-friendly banks? That way, you won't continue to be supporting those that you are hoping to trump with irony when you aren't.

Like I said, in the process. Been moving actually, and it's on the list of all the other things that have to be changed when you move. Yes, I do actually realize that's all electronic and not a single solitary soul sees, or cares, about my transactions. I still find humor in it.

I assure you my pro-second amendment contributions have trumped the harm being caused by the hundred bucks remaining in that account. I'm just gonna spend the hundred and close it out, might as well send it to the NRA. I've already sent them a letter informing them why I'm closing my account.

I do also appreciate the passion you have for our cause!

gamestalker
August 8, 2012, 06:46 PM
Although I was a BOA customer for a number of years, I recently moved all my business to another bank simply because I didn't like their banking practices and excessive fee's that continually evolved. I am surprised to hear that they have addressed your business with such an out spoken anti 2nd move like that. Every time I have walked into one of their branches I am open carrying my side arm and have never been approached or asked to remove it prior to entering. I am however happy to have been informed of their deep rooted liberal opinions and will certainly not consider ever re-establishing my banking business with them as a result.
GS

Double Naught Spy
August 8, 2012, 07:47 PM
Like I said, in the process. Been moving actually, and it's on the list of all the other things that have to be changed when you move.

And yet it has been on your list of things to do for so long that you have a lot of transactions to gun orgs.

I assure you my pro-second amendment contributions have trumped the harm being caused by the hundred bucks remaining in that account.

So you are okay with your support of an anti-2A organization when it suits your needs or is too much trouble to change. That's the irony I see and it isn't irony with just you and it isn't irony that any of us can get away from, but what you are saying is that the support you give them is inconsquential and that is somewhat true and it is true for the same reason that boycotting BofA is pretty inconsequential. They have so many customers, "you" really don't matter.

bluethunder1962
August 8, 2012, 08:53 PM
If somebody with a lot of money on here will pay off my growing loan I have with them I will be glad to boycot them forever. I just can't get the money anywhere else.

Deltaboy
August 8, 2012, 09:24 PM
They have treated me right since I was with Nations Bank which they bought out in the mid 1990's.

mhuxtable
September 18, 2012, 04:52 PM
BoA is a scum dumpster of the highest order. This is just another reason why they never have and never will get my business. Their shady and predatory business practices and extremely customer un-friendly service have kept me away all these years. The only reason they're still in business is because we, the tax payers, have propped them up. Corporate welfare at its finest...im a true free market they'd be gone.

el Godfather
September 18, 2012, 06:22 PM
If i did business with BOA this would have been the end of it. I understand my political ideologies are different than the next person- that is fine and appreciated for sake of diversity, but when I am discriminated against for my firm belief in my right ordianed by the Constitution, it becomes a problem. A legal problem that involves violation constitution. Such is not permissible and shall be fought against in the court. They can not turn down anyone who belives in the Consitution. It is a flagrant violation the equal protection clause of the consititution as well the interstate commerce clause.

I am surprised they are not taken to school on this!

If you enjoyed reading about "Boycott Bank of America" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!