Zastava M85 223 Questions

PDA

303 hunter
April 21, 2012, 12:35 PM
I ordered a Zastava M85 223 yesterday from my local gun shop. Does anyone know what scope bases they use? Barrel rifling twist? Any other helpful facts. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Zastava M85 223 Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hardluk1
April 21, 2012, 01:16 PM
Warne has a weaver type 2 piece base for the rem 799(mini-mauser)

Talley has the mounts for the mini- mauser #252748

Midway usa also has the bases listed for interarms/charles dailty min-mauser 799 for warn and weaver,weaver is 2 laisting 1 piece each. warne as a 2 piece set. -http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&newcategorydimensionid=7424

The mini's barrel has been 1-9 1/2 with rem 799 zatava. No reason to think it has been changed.

greyling22
April 21, 2012, 05:25 PM
my charles daly mini mauser didn't for the weaver bases. THe front was ok, but the rear base had too much curve to it to match the receiver right. I bought some warne bases and they fit perfectly. I didn't know talley made bases for them as well. Leupold has a 1 piece base http://www.midwayusa.com/product/111673/leupold-1-piece-standard-scope-base-remington-799-gloss that I never tried because mine is left handed.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tuVUMLRE47UC&pg=PA289&lpg=PA289&dq=mini+mauser+adjustable+trigger&source=bl&ots=tIEvwXsgGA&sig=Ndvca_eihXy7yRKxHOMRs2FFY_E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=8hWTT7eQCOWA2gWnj6nLBA&ved=0CEQQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=mini%20mauser%20adjustable%20trigger&f=false tells how to adjust the trigger.

this thread has a lot of information on them as well. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5223316/1

mine shoots 50grn bullets better than 55's, but most of my handloads with either bullet weight and several different powders group around 1". I bought a barreled action, made a stock and bedded it. The action was ver stiff out of the box. I had to turn the firing pin spring down to cycle the bolt easier. Also, I had a difficult time scoping it. The bolt handle keeps hitting the scope. Nice lightweight gun with beautiful deep blueing though.

4sixteen
April 22, 2012, 03:11 AM
I went with the Leupold 1 piece base after I had issues with my scope windage adjustment nearly maxed out using the 2 piece Weaver type bases (wouldn't hold a zero with the scope windage adjusted like that). With the Leupold base, the rear ring is windage adjustable. Then I was able to keep the scope windage adjustment near the center of its travel.

dirtyjim
April 22, 2012, 02:45 PM
my hornet has the leupold 1pc mount with a vintage 7/8 tube 2.5x maxwell smith scope in redfield semi-split rings, if i didn't alreray have the scope and rings i would have probably went with talley rings and mounts. my 223 and 7.62x39 will get custom square bridges with talley rings.
i've also replaced the bolt handle on the hornet with a scaled down oberndorf style handle and will be doing the same on the 223 and 7.62x39.

greyling22
April 22, 2012, 05:12 PM
Jim, is it hard or expensive to have a handle redone? I really wish I had more leverage to close the bolt and could get the handle a bit further away from the scope.

Also, my brother just married into a family from alvin. Do you know the dustins by any chance?

hardluk1
April 23, 2012, 08:52 AM
Place a heavy lube like pro-gold on the edges and back sides of your locking lugs to cut down on wear and to aid with opening and closing of the bolt.

dirtyjim
April 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
the bolt handle isn't any harder or more expensive than a standard mauser or any other bolt action rifle.
the main difficulty is scaling the handle to the action. the original handle is to small and most aftermarket handles are to big. a few years ago there was a guy on gunbroker who sold oberndorf style handles that were slightly on the small side and i used one of his handles that i turned down a little bit on my lathe. i also had to build up the upper part of the root a little bit.

i don't know the dustins, i know my neighbors and thats about it

greyling22
April 23, 2012, 08:23 PM
I've thought about the butter knife style handle and the browning style handle.

It's a big-ish town. I thought it was worth a shot.

dirtyjim
April 23, 2012, 09:00 PM
i think a hornet with a butterknife handle and a mannlicher stock would be a nice set up.
my 223 is being built as a scaled down british style safari rifle, with a drop box bottom metal, banded front and rear sights,a short forearm and long lop stock with an oval cheeckpiece. i need to get back to work on it.

Gunner11
April 24, 2012, 06:31 AM
Had mine 8 years now has weaver bases, and a 1 in 12 twist likes 55 grains, I believe some have a 1 in 10 twist also which would probably handle heavier bullets better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Zastava M85 223 Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!