Survey for Waterfowl Hunters...Please Read

PDA

Midnight
January 30, 2003, 12:00 PM
This survey mainly applies to duck hunters, but can probably be accurately answered by any waterfowl hunter. It is only five questions that require very short answers. This is for a senior design project in mechanical engineering at the university I attend. My group has researched the idea and found that several versions have already been patented. We are completing the project as a learning exercise, and do not plan to produce this product. It will help us greatly if you would take just a couple minutes to answer our questions. With that said, please answer the following:

1. What is the single most annoying aspect of dealing with waterfowl decoys?

2. Would you be interested in purchasing a waterfowl decoy that came equipped with an integral spool of line and drop weight?

3. Would you be interested if the spooling mechanism was self-retracting and self-locking?

4. Of the following: hand crank operated, battery operated, or spring loaded (automatically retracted with a pull), what type of retraction system would you be most interested in?

5. Compared to the price of fully equipped duck decoys at $50/dozen, how much would you pay per dozen of these “deluxe duck decoys?”

Many thanks to all who participate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Survey for Waterfowl Hunters...Please Read" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marshall
January 30, 2003, 06:22 PM
1. Carrying enough realistic looking ones at once.

2. No

goosegunner
January 31, 2003, 12:54 PM
Decoy line in the propeller and as spagetti all over the boat is half the fun of waterfowl hunting. It is annoying, but it would just not be waterfowl hunting without it.

(The other half have something to do with wet feet, early mornings, rusty shotguns, cold fingers and a outboard motor that will not start )

Dave McCracken
February 1, 2003, 08:35 AM
Midnight, I own no decoys at the present, but....

As well as the convenience of fastneasy line storage, the crux of the matter is that these things have to fool ducks frequently and regularly.

Fooling ducks has several big factors.

One is hiding the hunters and their tackle,

One is having the decoys look like ducks.

One is having them BEHAVE like ducks.That includes having them float like the real ones, be spaced like the real ones, bob on the waves like real ones, and so on.

Forgive me, but I'm skeptical about having all that hardware on something and having it look like mallards to mallards.

duckhunter
February 1, 2003, 10:49 AM
1. there size,when u need to use 3-4 doz dek's there not much room in the boat for u and your buddy,dog and all the cool stuff u thing u need to bring

2.no, just somethig more that can break and add to the cost of waterfowling

3.no

4.if i had to chose i'd say the handcrank

5.i would'nt pay more than 5$ per dek more

HSMITH
February 1, 2003, 02:05 PM
I duckhunt a MINIMUM of 30 days a year.

1) The single most annoying thing about dealing with decoys is poor quality. Very few dekes will last 5 years and still look good with the conditions I put them in. Brittleness in extreme cold is also a problem that shows up in low quality decoys. G&H is the only reasonably priced brand that survives.

2) Yes.

3) No.

4) Hand Crank.

5) Well, good decoys start at $100 a dozen, and go up from there. But in the spirit of your question I would pay up to 20% more for a decoy that stored the line internally, however it would need to be a very durable and 100% trouble free system.

I would also add that it cannot add bulk, I carry a minimum of 150 dekes and space is at a premium. It would have to freindly when hands are cold and numb and/or heavy gloves are worn. It would have to tolerate icy conditions without difficulty too, which is the straw that breaks the camels back in my experience with whiz-bang duck hunting gadgets. Ice is quite common for my hunting.

ENC
February 4, 2003, 06:17 PM
I tend to agree with everyone else that has answered.

I like the conventional method because it allows me to only let out as much line as I want.

I know I can tie a knot and not have to worry about chasing my dekes that have came undone and are presently floating out to water deeper than my waders. They more parts in the equation and the more parts that can go wrong.

Here are my answers.

1. Don't really know
2. No
3. No
4. Hand Crank
5. $3/deke

If you enjoyed reading about "Survey for Waterfowl Hunters...Please Read" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!