Ted Nugent; hurting the cause?

PDA

357 Terms
April 21, 2012, 08:58 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/story/2012-04-20/ted-nugent-illegal-kill/54447484/1

It seems that he is putting many people off, with his words and actions.

I have always kinda looked at him a a bit of a jester, now, with these questionable hunting ethics ( banned from two states ) I wish he would tone it down a bit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ted Nugent; hurting the cause?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
murphys_law
April 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
Yup he needs to tone it down for sure.

Calhoun
April 21, 2012, 09:08 PM
Nugent is sort of a tool. And a dull one at that. But he is a heck of a PR machine. To me, he carries the same weight as a movie star when it comes to politics. Well, maybe a bit less.

rcmodel
April 21, 2012, 09:10 PM
+ 1000.

Mr. Nugent is embarrassing every hunter, shooter, and gun collector in the country.
Not to mention disgracing his position as an NRA director, and the NRA in general.

He needs to forget the guns and illegal hunting for his TV show and go back and play guitar or something to make money.
He used to be really good at that.

Right now, he is hurting all hunters & gun owners, Big Time.

rc

hso
April 21, 2012, 09:10 PM
He got carried away and crossed a line at NRA. He'll be marginalized even further than ever.

rcmodel
April 21, 2012, 09:14 PM
Crossed the line at the NRA?
Thats hard to do.
He tripped and fell down over the line, flat on his face!

And then these hunting violation debacles coming to the surface right now on top of that!!

Let us have Mercy!!

rc

Redlg155
April 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
I don't quite understand it. He has more disposable income than the majority of US Citizens yet he chooses a somewhat shady venue to further his hunting ventures. He could of hired any number of reputable guides to ensure a quality legal hunt. It seems as though he forfeited the "spirit of the wild" for the "spirit of the kill".

R.W.Dale
April 21, 2012, 09:20 PM
I must admit to being firmly out of the loop on this one.

What did the Nuge say?

Scuba_Steve
April 21, 2012, 09:29 PM
Yes, just as many people on this forum are hurting the cause. If we want to further the cause we need to educate, not alienate.

rcmodel
April 21, 2012, 09:30 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/21/opinion/obeidallah-ted-nugent-free-speech/index.html

http://www.usatoday.com/life/people/story/2012-04-20/ted-nugent-illegal-kill/54447484/1

rc

R.W.Dale
April 21, 2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks RC I knew about the hunting issue but not the acute oral diahrreah

Double Naught Spy
April 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
I have always kinda looked at him a a bit of a jester, now, with these questionable hunting ethics ( banned from two states ) I wish he would tone it down a bit.

It may be more. The CA information is shared by agreement with 35 states that can other states' violations, not that they always do it.
http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/state-and-regional/south-dakota/article_2c9a68e8-24cd-11e0-98fe-001cc4c002e0.html

He got carried away and crossed a line at NRA. He'll be marginalized even further than ever.

Promise?

rcmodel
April 21, 2012, 09:41 PM
The sad thing is, he had the recognition and exposure with both young & old voters to be another Charleston Heston / Robert Stack type leader & spokesman for the NRA, hunting, and all gun owners.

Now, he has done enough damage to all three to provide ammo for the anti-gun industry for the next 3 or 4 elections!

rc

writerinmo
April 21, 2012, 09:42 PM
There's that old saying about it's better to appear to be a fool, rather than opening one's mouth and removing all doubt. Time to shut up and plan, and a time to speak. This was a time to shut up.

Weevil
April 21, 2012, 09:43 PM
He's a kook and not a positive image for gunowners or the 2A cause.

Walkalong
April 21, 2012, 09:44 PM
He will make little to no difference in the biggest thing we have faced in many years, Novembers election.

After that, yea, he needs to think more and say yes, and I am a Nugent fan. I love his hardcore stance, and his willingness to stand up and say what he believes in, but he sure can shoot his mouth/foot off sometimes.

ApacheCoTodd
April 21, 2012, 09:47 PM
I've nearly always felt outa his particular loop regardless of shared hobbies, activities or passions.

The odd thing is, I can nearly always agree with the general content of what he has to say but the delivery nearly always embarrasses me by proxy.

As an example, I don't want to nor do I ever disassociate myself from hunting but I absolutely want to disassociate myself from Ted's method of expressing his perspective on hunting.

GMG3
April 21, 2012, 10:06 PM
New to THR, with that said................IMHO he's a loose cannon !

303tom
April 21, 2012, 10:15 PM
He needs to cool it..................

X-Rap
April 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
It looks like he wounded a bear and later continued to hunt and filled his tag which was deemed by the state to be filled by the wounding.
Illegal baiting in California, what does that mean? He lives in Texas and Michigan that both allow baiting.
Ignorance is no excuse but Uncle Ted doesn't just pull his old Mini Wini out to some spot on the NF and set up camp, he had guides or hosts that should have done him a hell of a lot better than they did. I know of no state that I have hunted that curtails a hunt after wounding and I have never hunted a state that allowed bait but have taken advantage of fields, orchards, and other attractants, knowing how jacked up CA laws are I would like to see more info on the case.
At any rate this is more just another case of the media cranking up the volume on a side show to divert attention to the fact that the country is on fire, reading these posts prove that in spades.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 21, 2012, 10:28 PM
I think more people are bothered by his recent political comments than the bear hunting, X-rap.

Unfortunately, when you have a high-profile gun owner say those sort of things at a gun rights organization gathering, it comes across as representing the members of that organization and gun owners a whole. Metaphors or not, he said some pretty stupid stuff.

rcmodel
April 21, 2012, 10:32 PM
a high-profile gun ownerWho also happens to be on the NRA Board of Directors!!

That right there is by far the worst damage he has done by his stupidity.

rc

crazy-mp
April 21, 2012, 10:34 PM
http://my.auburnjournal.com/detail/206078.html

This story will make you proud to be a "Uncle Ted" fan as well

Steel Horse Rider
April 21, 2012, 10:36 PM
Taking people down one at a time.....

hogshead
April 21, 2012, 10:38 PM
I still like him though he does need to calm down a little bit.

JohnKSa
April 21, 2012, 10:40 PM
Years ago, I came to the conclusion that the guy is a wildcard. He's going to do whatever he's going to do and frankly, nobody knows from one minute to the next exactly what that will be. Sometimes it's going to make you cheer, sometimes it's going to make you cringe. Either way, it's got nothing to do with any cause other than what's running through his stream-of-consciousness brain at that particular instant. He's a law unto himself and an irresistable force continually acting on impulse.

Love him or hate him, he's a truly horrible choice for a standard-bearer.

X-Rap
April 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
Heston rightfully stated his "Cold Dead Hands" in Denver after the Columbine Massacre, as a whole the NRA went PC and Bugged out of town after an abbreviated meeting.
The true to some of us is what Ted said, the belief that it is game over for the country as we know it if Obama is elected again is very real to some and they are not just gun owners.
It takes a hell of a lot more than that to offend my sensibilities. Americans with bounties on their heads offends me, the same group standing with clubs at a polling station offends me, AG's who won't prosecute or even investigate these crimes offends me. Agencies partying in Vegas and Columbia on my dime offends me but little old Ted is welcome at my fire anytime.

bluethunder1962
April 21, 2012, 10:41 PM
Yep. People like him give us all a bad name like we are a bunch of nuts just looking for something to shoot.

whalerman
April 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
I'm not aware of exactly what Nugent said. A couple of the posters here I respect a great deal, so I'm not questioning them. I will say I am deeply worried about where this Second Ammendment fight of ours is headed. Maybe its because I live in NY, a state where the Constitution has been mortally wounded for a long time. But I believe another term of Obama, with the resulting Supreme Court appointees, will be the end of us. Fast and Furious came closer to that end than we realize. And as corrupt and illegal as that action was, it is being successfully covered up by a complicit media. In many ways, I understand Nugent's frustration and anger.

rcmodel
April 21, 2012, 11:13 PM
I'm not aware of exactly what Nugent said.
after making this statement last weekend at the NRA Convention: "If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year."

If Sirhan Arab, or Laytrell Fromme, or Juan Garcia Jr., or you, or I had said that in an airport terminal, or in flight?

Bet me we wouldn't be locked up right now!

rc

arcticap
April 21, 2012, 11:30 PM
I just heard on the news that Ted Nugent was dropped from playing in a concert that is scheduled to be held this summer at Fort Knox. They don't want him to perform because of what he said, but the other bands will still be playing.

X-Rap
April 21, 2012, 11:34 PM
I really take that quote as his concern that his lifestyle will be outlawed and he will become a target of an oppressive gov. because of his beliefs. He would not be the first man in history to have that worry but in America that thought has not been prevalent.
I share his sentiment but wish no more for Mr Obama than for him to be unemployed. If the future implies him in activity that was illegal than I wish no more mercy on him than any other citizen,

nosmr2
April 21, 2012, 11:36 PM
Yes. He is not helping the cause running his mouth like he does. I understand that it's his mouth and he can run it, just sucks that his mouth happens to be seen as the mouth of the NRA and to represent gun owners.

Take your millions and just go away. You have not been relevant for quite a long time now.

ApacheCoTodd
April 22, 2012, 12:28 AM
Maybe another way to look at it for the Nuge's apologists is to imagine someone from the extreme left saying EXACTLY the same thing about either of the Bushes or Regan regardless of context.

theicemanmpls
April 22, 2012, 12:51 AM
Yes, just as many people on this forum are hurting the cause. If we want to further the cause we need to educate, not alienate.
To be honest, what anyone types on THR is not going to be on the 5:30 national TV news. Nugent is doing more damage then 1,000. bad apples on THR could do.

I never had any time nor respect for Nugent who feigned mental illness in order to avoid being drafted during Viet Nam war. As a disabled Viet Nam Vet, Nugent turns my stomach.

Steve, I agree with you 100% educate, not alienate.

Coop45
April 22, 2012, 12:57 AM
Amen brother!!

Gato Montés
April 22, 2012, 01:14 AM
What an idiot. As a member of the NRA, I feel totally alienated by Ted Nugent

Is this the reason I never got my membership card and complimentary tote bag, cause rubes like this are running the show?

Board of directors huh, any way we can get rid of him?

Arkansas Paul
April 22, 2012, 01:43 AM
I don't particularly care for him, and it started with watching his show. He was hunting whitetail and shot one with a .243. (Nothing against the round, have one, love it). The deer runs about 50 yds and collapses, but isn't dead. It lays there and bleats and cries for a good 5 minutes, and he refuses to put another round in her to end it. He sits there, talking like he's done something really great while it suffers.

Now I've been a deer hunter for as long as I could hold a gun, and I realize that there will be some suffering at times that's unavoidable. But I have nothing for someone who stands there while their animal suffers and refuses to do anything about it, when they certainly can.

So I definately think he's hurting the cause, but it started before this debacle.

DC3-CVN-72
April 22, 2012, 01:48 AM
I'm with X-Rap.

Mr.454
April 22, 2012, 03:05 AM
Once again Ted Nugent is a <deleted>. Another one of those people who thinks that the world will end if Obama gets re-elected. He really needs to grow up.

Tim the student
April 22, 2012, 03:17 AM
He ain't no uncle of mine. I'll leave it at that.

awgrizzly
April 22, 2012, 03:34 AM
You know what Ted said could be taken several ways. Like there will be a revolution and he will get caught up in it. Or federal thugs will come kick in his door at night. This type of thing I never thought could be possible here... I thought we were protected by the Constitution. I'm not so sure now.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 22, 2012, 03:46 AM
Like there will be a revolution and he will get caught up in it. Or federal thugs will come kick in his door at night
Right, because those interpretations would reflect so much better on gun owners. :rolleyes:

Rembrandt
April 22, 2012, 04:53 AM
Nugent's "in your face" communication style may have been befitting a rock and roller 30 years ago....but it's time to grow up and act like an adult. If he wants to be a spokes person and role model for the second amendment he needs to shed his "teenage demographic act".

bikerdoc
April 22, 2012, 05:22 AM
I sent him a letter at the NRA adress on warples rd. Cant repeat it here. Lets just say I chewed butt as only an old SGT can.
Hope I get a reply. Maybe he has cat scratch fever?

rajb123
April 22, 2012, 05:56 AM
Teddy is broke and needs to sell records, so this is how it is done.

why isn't this thread being closed like all the rest?

rajb123
April 22, 2012, 06:11 AM
I dont know of any state that would allow you to take another animal after your shot a bear and failed to recover it.

That is just common sence...right?

nelson133
April 22, 2012, 06:24 AM
Ted is an ignorant blowhard with a fatal case of self love, but he does fire up a certain segment of the pro gun populace. I figure he's a wash.

beatledog7
April 22, 2012, 06:49 AM
As a loose cannon with a TV show he's fairly harmless, but as Director at the NRA he's going to be followed and quoted by every anti-gun journalista in America. There's little doubt he will spout off again given the microphone.

The NRA needs to figure out a way to publicly show him the door.

jcwit
April 22, 2012, 07:01 AM
I never had any time nor respect for Nugent who feigned mental illness in order to avoid being drafted during Viet Nam war. As a disabled Viet Nam Vet, Nugent turns my stomach.

I'm sure you can support that statement with links as to it being a fact?

Teddy is broke and needs to sell records, so this is how it is done.

Sure about that, right? You have acess to his financial records?

Believe me it was pretty hard to get a 4$ status back in those days.

Anyone here ever hear of speaking metaphorically?

At least he had a pair and let the world know how he felt instead of how most do today and pussy foot around the subject!

rodinal220
April 22, 2012, 08:37 AM
I dont see the problem.He has a set of balls and is not PC so people get scared. we need people who are TRULY PASSIONATE about our gun rights. I wish NRA would go MORE on the offense and think outside the box.
I wish they would stop wasting money on sending me stickers,key chains,pens and put that money to good use.I can think of several interesting things to use the cash on.
I don't see a problem with Uncle Ted.

csa77
April 22, 2012, 08:42 AM
I'm surprised by the amount of people on this forum that don't like him.i love Ted ,I love his message. It's just the thing we need,I feel that too many of our crowd has gone PC .

I'm surprised that the NRA did have him Speak I generally think of the NRA as an extremely PC group that is afraid of its own shadow. More Ted is just what the NRA needs.

The antis will always be antis,no matter how softly you speak to them,ted isnt going to turn anyone off who isn't already an anti gun bozo,and drive-by media is always going to hate guns,with or without ted

herkyguy
April 22, 2012, 08:46 AM
It's disappointing that he has his own show, a budget, a film crew, and chooses to take part in illegal hunting. Plenty of folks, including myself, are hunting public land in conditions that absolutely suck compared to what he has access to and we play by the rules. I won't get all spooled up about his political comments....anyone in the limelight says stupid things from time to time, but the hunting violations is reason enough to question his integrity.

beatledog7
April 22, 2012, 08:51 AM
No, Ted is not PC.

While that can be refreshing, to many observers, the distance between "not PC" and "whacko" is alarmingly short.

357 Terms
April 22, 2012, 08:52 AM
anyone in the limelight says stupid things from time to time, but the hunting violations is reason enough to question his integrity.

Thats kinda how I feel.

I have always looked at him as a blowhard, never really given much credence to what he says.
But; as a hunter I feel that his ethics are poor at best, I would NOT hunt with him.

Elkins45
April 22, 2012, 09:07 AM
If you could nominate a single champion to give a reasoned argument in support of 2A rights, and the case that person made would determine if we got to keep them, would you choose Ted Nugent to be that person?

Me either.

I didn't know about all the illegal hunting stuff. I used to find his over the top persona amusing but now I know he's a slob hunter I just find him distasteful. I know he was just speaking metaphorically, but I think he's not doing us any favors.

jahwarrior
April 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
I thought he was a tool before any of this nonsense, so none of this really changes my opinion on him. It only illustrates to other people why I feel the way I do about him: just a redneck loudmouth, who lends credibility to the stereotype of all gun owners being redneck loudmouths. He doesn't, never did, never will speak for me, in any capacity.

Skyshot
April 22, 2012, 09:14 AM
I think I will wait to get ALL the full details before making a judgement on Ted Nugent. I like Ted, he is not PC and not afraid of confrontation. He is making himself a target for the liberal press for sure. We'll see how things play out. But for all those who think he makes the gun community look like a bunch psycho's I got news for you, the left already thinks that. This whole thing started because Nugent was trying to rally support to defeat Obama. I like that we have people that are not afraid to speak thier mind. The left fears people like Nugent, so now they will do thier best to discredite him. And they succed when they fracture support among the gun community. I look for more dirty laundry to come out against TN.

buck460XVR
April 22, 2012, 09:33 AM
little old Ted is welcome at my fire anytime.

Mama always told me, "you are who you friends are!".........dirtball REPEAT violators will NEVER be welcome at my fire.

Carl Levitian
April 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
The probe elm with Ted is that he's making the rest of the responsible gun owners and hunters look bad by his wacko antics and big mouth. This is the kind of tool that will hurt us in the long run, and somebody needs to impress on him the nned to shut up. If our cause is to have any kind of public spokesperson, he needs to do it with a bit of class. A person like Tom Selleck, who has never made any inflammatory remarks, been caught illegally hunting, or other embarrassing behavior is a much better type of person to have out there. Any of the Mandrell sisters too.

Ted is a wacko rocker who's over impressed with his own BS. He's hurting us for sure.

Pilot
April 22, 2012, 09:51 AM
the distance between "not PC" and "whacko" is alarmingly short.

This^^^^^^^

I think his statements, and actions are counterproductive to the NRA, and promoting gun rights. He crosses the line because he wants the attention. Not the kind of attention we need.

BSA1
April 22, 2012, 09:51 AM
Ted is a wacko rocker who's over impressed with his own BS. He's hurting us for sure

Yep do you mean like the forefather that said "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH"? What was his name ......Patrick Henry. My history taught me that old Patrick was calling for open rebellion against the government.

Oh there was another founding father who said "I disagree with what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it" ?

Then as now most Americans sat quiety on the sidelines while a few of your "wackos" started a shooting war with the most powerful Army in the world.

theicemanmpls
April 22, 2012, 10:13 AM

Sure about that, right? You have acess to his financial records?

Believe me it was pretty hard to get a 4$ status back in those days.

Anyone here ever hear of speaking metaphorically?

At least he had a pair and let the world know how he felt instead of how most do today and pussy foot around the subject!
So many links, so little time. I googled "Ted Nugent draft dodger" Google sent me 32,600 results. Take your pick.

I thought I would send Ted an email expressing my thoughts over his latest antics. If you wish to communicate with Ted, you must join his website which requires Money$$.

I used to hunt before my disability took hold. I still consider myself a hunter. Ted never has, nor never will represent me. I am sure there are thousands, if not millions of others who want no part of Ted and his shenanigans.

"speaking metaphorically" Is that what waving an automatic weapon around while addressing a public assembly, and telling government officials to "suck on it"? If most of us repeated this form of public protest against the government, we could at least expect a visit from the ATF. You know the nice folks who are in charge of machine guns?

Ringolevio
April 22, 2012, 10:15 AM
BSA1 wrote:
Then as now most Americans sat quietly on the sidelines while a few of your "wackos" started a shooting war with the most powerful Army in the world.

Yup. Back then most folks probably said, "Don't make waves." And they stuck their heads right back in the sand. Just like folks today who say "It can't happen here" and "one president, no matter how bad, can't destroy America".

When Hitler was elected (Yes, he was elected!), his opponents said, "Don't worry. We'll just wait him out, and defeat him in the next election." But there was no next election!

Do you think our next election is going to be real, fair, and devoid of fraud?

P.S. I'll bet all those who buy into the media spin on Ted Nugent also buy into the media spin on Sarah Palin. And yet, in my mind, these two embody the true spirit of America. I guess that makes me another "wacko", and I'm also a wacko because I revere the Bill of Rights just as I revere the Ten Commandments.

Steel Horse Rider
April 22, 2012, 10:16 AM
ApacheCoTodd: If I remember correctly there were literally thousands of people claiming if George W was elected or re-elected they would be dead or in concentration camps. I can't understand the level of fury against him, he never threatened the President as Louis Farrakhan did, he mostly threatened himself...... I think there is an awful lot of chest thumping around here.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 22, 2012, 10:24 AM
ted isnt going to turn anyone off who isn't already an anti gun bozo
He seems to have turned off plenty of people in this thread. Do you think each of those people is "already an anti gun bozo?"

Oh there was another founding father who said "I disagree with what you say but I will defend to death your right to say it" ?
Evelyn Beatrice Hall was a founding father? :confused:

Nushif
April 22, 2012, 10:43 AM
@Ringolevio and BSA

So wait, in this thread you compared the political realities of the Independence Wars to today's political reality, alluded to Obama as well as the W in a comparison to Hitler, injected neo-christian values into our religiously neutral government system, and thus concluded that it's a good idea for an elected spokesperson of any given organization to not ever reign in their own opinions when commenting in an official capacity on a topic the organization is supposed to *not* be about?

Am I getting this straight?

[edit]
On second thought, no edit.

buck460XVR
April 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will be either be dead or in jail by this time next year.

I wonder if Ol' Uncle Ted is a man of his word. Oh, wait, his hunting ethics already have shown us his integrity. Never mind.

Tim the student
April 22, 2012, 11:19 AM
^^ LOL

A person like Tom Selleck, who has never made any inflammatory remarks, been caught illegally hunting, or other embarrassing behavior is a much better type of person to have out there.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Sol
April 22, 2012, 11:23 AM
The Nuge really has himself in a stranglehold here. Though what he said wasn't politically correct and possibly taken out of context, you can't knock the guy for using his 1A rights.

Besides this whole fiasco of him getting investigated by the SS is good publicity for them. It may help distract all the negative attention for their taxpayer funded prosti-party.

Tom609
April 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
I agree with Carl. We need more representatives at the national level like Tom Selleck. A genuinely nice guy that's pro-guns and represents our position with some class. I'm hopeful that what we have seen from Nugent is his version of "jumping the shark."

While there are still a few hardcore supporters here, there are many fewer than just a few days ago in the other threads that were closed. BTW, I also went to the NRA website and shared my opinion with them.

X-Rap
April 22, 2012, 11:32 AM
I like Tom Selleck too and wish he were more vocal on the issue.
I wonder if he served in Viet Nam?

carbine85
April 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
I'm ok with Ted. He speaks his mind and says what most people are afraid to say. He owns up to his past mistakes and does great things for kids, outdoor sports and conservation.
One of the reasons the left can stand strong is because the stick together and us on the conservative side turn on each other.

Sky
April 22, 2012, 11:36 AM
Evelyn Beatrice Hall was a founding father?

hahhaha good catch!!

rcmodel
April 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
See Early Life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Selleck

rc

Ringolevio
April 22, 2012, 11:40 AM
Nushif wrote:
@Ringolevio and BSA
So wait, in this thread you compared the political realities of the Independence Wars to today's political reality,

Absolutely! So, you're saying there's no grounds for comparison? As if one cannot learn from history?

alluded to Obama as well as the W in a comparison to Hitler,

Oh, that's verboten, isn't it? Even when my point was not so much about Hitler as about "waiting for the next election"?

injected neo-christian values into our religiously neutral government system,

What's so "neo" about my values? And do you deny that, although our gov't system is religiously neutral, it is firmly founded on Judeo-Christian values? And that arrangement has, I believe, served us quite well.

and thus concluded that it's a good idea for an elected spokesperson of any given organization to not ever reign [sic] in their own opinions when commenting in an official capacity on a topic the organization is supposed to *not* be about?

So, you'd prefer such spokespersons to be always walking on eggshells lest their outspoken passion give "offense" to someone's delicate sensibilities?

I suppose such an "elected spokesperson" always takes the chance of being removed in the next election (which brings us back to my point about the next election, doesn't it?).

Am I getting this straight?

Now that we've clarified things, maybe so...

stonecutter2
April 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
Honestly I feel that the political rhetoric these days is just far too alarmist and extremist for my tastes. I am very well aware and fully support that everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, the discourse in the nation lately has turned decidedly extreme. It's not just a discussion about voting out Obama because he's not making decisions that would help the economy and help people get jobs, it's how he's destroying America, hates American values, is a socialist/communist, a fool for not drilling for oil in every corner of protected nature preserves of the US, trying to force churches to do as he wants, forcing people to get health insurance so they don't go bankrupt when they have a health emergency that others have to foot the bill for.

I really think Obama is just trying to do the best he can. And if you don't agree with what he's doing, cool - but the bitterness and level of anger some are demonstrating is just shocking to me. What anti-gun bills has Obama signed into law? Why is Ted Nugent going to be dead or in jail after November - what indicates a justification for such an extreme, outrageous statement? I haven't seen anything directly attacking our 2nd amendment rights from the Obama administration.

I am proud to live in a country where a citizen can speak their mind, criticizing the ruling government and calling for its upheaval. We are truly blessed to have such freedoms that we can exercise.

It takes people saying things, like Ted Nugent did (and the Dixie Chicks back in the day), to really appreciate all the freedoms we enjoy here in the US.

Old krow
April 22, 2012, 11:50 AM

http://www.newshounds.us/2007/08/26/proof_ted_nugent_is_a_draft_dodger_will_hannity_keep_defending_him.php

I like Tom Selleck too and wish he were more vocal on the issue.

I like him too. I don't think that he did, but I could be wrong about it. He was in the 160th Inf Reg in the CA Guard. Either way, NOT on par with Nugent.

Tom609
April 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Well said, Stonecutter.

I sometimes wonder why some people will express their admiration for a person because, "at least he says what's on his mind." While that can sometimes be an admirable quality, just as often it reflects a lack of self control and reflective thought. In fact, taken to the extreme, it's Tourette's Syndrome.

Rembrandt
April 22, 2012, 11:57 AM
.....I haven't seen anything directly attacking our 2nd amendment rights from the Obama administration.

Ever hear of fast & furious or the EPA (whom he appoints the director) wanting to ban lead ammo?

Nushif
April 22, 2012, 11:57 AM
So, you'd prefer such spokespersons to be always walking on eggshells lest their outspoken passion give "offense" to someone's delicate sensibilities?

Nope. I prefer spokespeople who stick to the issue they were voted in for.

[edit]

I really think <any president> is just trying to do the best <they> can. And if you don't agree with what he's doing, cool - but the bitterness and level of anger some are demonstrating is just shocking to me.

This.

stonecutter2
April 22, 2012, 12:20 PM
Ever hear of fast & furious or the EPA (whom he appoints the director) wanting to ban lead ammo?
Those didn't directly attack 2nd amendment rights or seriously diminish them. How have these infringed on or diminished your 2nd amendment rights, or prevented you from buying ammunition or guns since Obama was elected in 2008.

Tommygunn
April 22, 2012, 12:25 PM
Those didn't directly attack 2nd amendment rights or seriously diminish them. How have these infringed on or diminished your 2nd amendment rights, or prevented you from buying ammunition or guns since Obama was elected in 2008.

So Obama's OK on guns because no one in his administration did anything directly to attack or diminish our 2A rights?:scrutiny:
Really? That's your criteria? ? ? ?:what::confused::uhoh:

Bristol Mt.Man
April 22, 2012, 12:42 PM
Having read all of the posts on here I can't believe all of the people who are so quick to throw Ted under the bus. He is definatly an extremist, outspoken, and certainly opinionated but he is on "OUR" side. As far as those game violations, perhaps we should at least be allowed to hear his side of the story before we condem him totally. The "OTHER" side have no problem allowing extremists to occupy positions of influence in Government, media, academy and entertainment, and make no appoligies for it. Just look at appointees to our Supreme Court. Make no mistake, the times to be polite and apologetic about our gun rights are past. We need to be extreme and passionate about our rights and make a stand that "enough is enough" and we are not going to take any more "infringements" period. I live in New York State, where every conceiable gun law is already a law and they still are trying to pass more. I just attended A gun show and observed and talked to a lot of people. People are buying up "Black Rifles" and ammo like crazy. Like it or not, these are extreme times we are living in. Better get ready. Just my thoughts.

skoro
April 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
His overheated rhetoric does our cause no good. Eliciting approval from gun owners by tossing out inflammatory remarks just turns off those we need to understand our viewpoint.

armarsh
April 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
...I haven't seen anything directly attacking our 2nd amendment rights from the Obama administration. ...

That is part of the plan. Sarah Brady, recalling what Obama told her: “I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/over-a-barrel-meet-white-house-gun-policy-adviser-steve-croley/2011/04/04/AFt9EKND_story_2.html

It seems disingenuous to say Obama must be doing OK regarding 2A, because he has not accomplished what he has said he wishes he could accomplish. Obama is on the record many times that he would like to reinstate the assault weapons ban, and supported banning all handguns as a senator.

rajb123
April 22, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm not crazy about Ted or his illegal bear hunts with a bow...

However, I would support his bid to become NRA president because I believe he would appropriately redirect the resources of the NRA toward fighting lousy gun control laws in the federal, state and local courts. Unfortunately, their current focus is only to promote polititions who support our causes and this is not enough.

Nushif
April 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
He is definatly an extremist, outspoken, and certainly opinionated but he is on "OUR" side.

Just because the slug is on our side doesn't make it any less disgusting kissing it. Sorry.

pbearperry
April 22, 2012, 01:01 PM
Although I applaud his want to protect gun owners and rights,I have formed an opinion of him by watching several of his hunting shows.I believe he has mental issues possibly by years of drug abuse.Something upstairs is just not right.

Weevil
April 22, 2012, 01:06 PM
If I felt he was truly sincere in his beliefs I would be more supportive of him.

However from what I see he's a wannabe rockstar that never made it and has latched onto the 2A gunrights cause as a venue to try and get the fame and headlines he never had as a "rocker".

I can't help but get the gut-feeling he's more concerned with being a "star" than he is with furthing the cause of RKBA.

Neverwinter
April 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
If the goal is to work on increasing the support for RKBA, the best way to do it is not an abrasive approach that only has success in energizing the base

That is part of the plan. Sarah Brady, recalling what Obama told her: “I just want you to know that we are working on it,” Brady recalled the president telling them. “We have to go through a few processes, but under the radar.”

Sarah Brady is disingenuous. Unless you're willing to tell me you believe everything else she says about gun control...

And yet the EPA rejected the request to ban lead ammo.

Old krow
April 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
Like it or not, these are extreme times we are living in.

I agree... for the most part, however, there is a time and place for everything. We can still, as far as I know, vote. It is true that we cannot vote for the DOJ, SCOTUS, and other agencies that love to chip away at everything they can get their hands on, but, I can still vote. Because I can freely vote, so can others. If the goal is to influence or introduce change via the vote, it is possible that we as gun owners can or should find a better argument than what is being made by Nugent to represent our case.

For all anyone knows, he could be spot one, but that message will be lost now because the focus on the message was lost in an emotional tantrum.

IMHO, I'd much rather have Tom Selleck representing the NRA than I would Ted Nugent.

Obama is on the record many times that he would like to reinstate the assault weapons ban, and supported banning all handguns as a senator.

Be that as it may, Congress is a far bigger danger than the POTUS. I do not disagree that he will strike the 2nd when the opportunity presents itself, but the root of the problem itself lies in Congress. Take us to a time when our elected officials represent US instead of these ridiculous parties that divide issues like the RKBA and you'll see this silliness over and done with.

rajb123
April 22, 2012, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter2
...I haven't seen anything directly attacking our 2nd amendment rights from the Obama administration. ...

I would say "Fast and Furious" was concieved under Obama's direction and this was designed to create an atmosphere to pass laws that limit gun purchases, sanction so-called assault rifles, etc.

Averageman
April 22, 2012, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure how or when we are supposed to be outraged at some of the political moves that are and have taken place.
I think Mr. Nugent crossed the line, but that being said; when does a conservative ever stand up and cry out BS?
They Dont and they wont, prehaps it is about time a few of them did.
We saw the Black Panthers at polling places clearly intimidating voters.
We have see Operation "Fast and Furious" take place, wasn't this clearly an end run to call for more gun laws? Is or has Holder been accountable?
We have seen the Treyvon Martin shooting being manipulated and the MSM clearly edit tapes to make Zimmerman look worse.
We have the Black Panthers putting a bounty on Zimmermans head.
We have States making laws to ensure only eligable voters vote and Holder jumps in to challange all of them.
We have States trying to protect their International Borders because the Feds, can't or wont.
Now I must ask, WHERE IS THE RIGHTOUS ANGER FROM THE CONSERVATIVES?
There ins't any.
They are too polite, too well mannered and too used to playing by the rules to understand and act against the opposition.
I hate that Mr. Nugent crossed the line, but please someone, anyone stand up and oppose what clearly is a fight against our gun rights and Consitution.

Averageman
April 22, 2012, 01:18 PM
I would say "Fast and Furious" was concieved under Obama's direction and this was designed to create an atmosphere to pass laws that limit gun purchases, sanction so-called assault rifles, etc.

I would say the same for Martin vs Zimmerman.
I think it was cherry picked to go after Concealed Carry, Stand your Ground and The Castle doctrine.

rajb123
April 22, 2012, 01:20 PM
Obama is only the second US president to own zero guns. The other is Billy Clinton who banned so-called assault weapons, cop killer bullets, large magizines, etc.

Arkansas Paul
April 22, 2012, 01:22 PM
I believe he has mental issues possibly by years of drug abuse.

I've already said that I'm not a huge fan, however, I don't think there's ever been any drug abuse with Ted. He claims that he's never done drugs. I don't know of anything to point to him lying about that.

X-Rap
April 22, 2012, 01:23 PM
Our Lives, Fortunes and Sacred Honor
It's impossible to know what's in a persons heart but I believe Ted is willing or already has made this pledge or something similar.
I am sure those who did it originally were viewed as radicals who should be ignored.
Here is an old radical that you all know talking about the topic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3In5LZwG9Io
Here is Paul with another radical speach from 1965.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Az0okaHig&feature=related
Today he would be called many of the same things TN is being called.

Steel Horse Rider
April 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
The Democrats learned in the 1990 election what crossing the line on the Second Amendment can lead to as far as invigorating the law abiding voter base so they keep their gun control initiatives under the radar and try to institute them through stealthier measures such as the UN treaties, regulations from cabinet level agencies, and false hysteria ginned up by government sponsored problems like F&F. If you believe they are supportive of your individual rights at all you are either informationally challenged or a kool aide drinker in my opinion.

armarsh
April 22, 2012, 01:30 PM
...Sarah Brady is disingenuous. Unless you're willing to tell me you believe everything else she says about gun control...

Well, her husband James, Jim Carney and Obama were also present. This meeting has enjoyed wide coverage in the media. This leaves two possibilities. The first is that the quote is accurate. The second is that it is not. If it was not accurate, then why was it not refuted by Obama and Carney? They have the entire media at their command if they wanted to issue a correction.

Old krow
April 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
If you believe they are supportive of your individual rights at all you are either informationally challenged or a kool aide drinker in my opinion.

If I had have been drinking the drink that I had to buy yesterday, I would have completely spit it up all over my computer. Thankfully, the restriction of that individual freedom was mandated and saved my labtop. :)

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
The Democrats learned in the 1990 election what crossing the line on the Second Amendment can lead to as far as invigorating the law abiding voter base
Help me out here, what happened in 1990? Crossing the line meant they gained 1 seat in the Senate and 7 in the house? :confused:

Did you mean the 1994 elections where the Democrats lost 9 Senate seats in 54 in the house or am I being "informationally challenged"? :)

Cosmoline
April 22, 2012, 01:40 PM
Ted, lord love him, is the Rickroll of the RKBA movement. You click those links and you're going to get taken on a ride.

arcticap
April 22, 2012, 02:27 PM
The Democrats learned in the 1990 election what crossing the line on the Second Amendment can lead to as far as invigorating the law abiding voter base so they keep their gun control initiatives under the radar and try to institute them through stealthier measures such as the UN treaties, regulations from cabinet level agencies, and false hysteria ginned up by government sponsored problems like F&F. If you believe they are supportive of your individual rights at all you are either informationally challenged or a kool aide drinker in my opinion.

Blanket stereotype statements like this are among the reasons why it's not constructive to discuss politics on this forum. Some Democrats are more supportive of the 2A than some Republicans, and not all Republicans support gun rights.
Folks who aren't drinking Kool Aid should be able to make that distinction. :rolleyes:
It's the same type of over the top statements that gets Ted Nugent into so much trouble. They get repeated so much that folks actually start to think that these statements are acceptable to the general public as if they were true. But they're not acceptable and not true. In an attempt to be a Rush Limbaugh type of political shock jock they just go over the top and alienate folks. Then folks start to characterize each other about whose Kool Aid that they've been drinking and we become divided rather than being focused on the mission.

kenken
April 22, 2012, 02:38 PM
You know what folks, if you are a fan of Ted or you are not, if it went all down hill with our gun rights, I feel like alot of people would go with him. Our 2A rights are 'ours', not theirs to hand out at their discreation. I think he makes alot of sense and I love to hear him speak. I don't agree with everything he says 100%, but about 99.9% of the time he is exactly right, in my opinion. I would like to see him as our secretary of defense.:cool:

kenken

Mr.454
April 22, 2012, 02:44 PM
Why does operation fast and furious keep coming up in this? The OP is about Ted Nugent's outbursts not half cocked conspiracy theorys about Obama. This threads pertinance is questionable.

Tomcat47
April 22, 2012, 02:47 PM
I do not think he is hurting the cause ......... On the contrary he is bringing the cause to the forefront and exposing the ones against the cause for who they are and what they stand for!

X-Rap
April 22, 2012, 02:50 PM
When you talk about his reasons for the statements he is under scrutiny for F&F looms large in his saying he will be dead or in jail. If you believe as he does that there is an active conspiracy to further neuter the Constitution, especially the 2a then it is relevant.
Frankly I think F&F is of far greater significance to the future of our Republic than was Watergate.

jmstevens2
April 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
ApacheCoTodd: If I remember correctly there were literally thousands of people claiming if George W was elected or re-elected they would be dead or in concentration camps. I can't understand the level of fury against him, he never threatened the President as Louis Farrakhan did, he mostly threatened himself...... I think there is an awful lot of chest thumping around here.

Divide and conquer. Most here are playing into the "under the radar" method quite well. Let's all let the mass media and left decide what we think, after all, they know better than we do. Right?

rajb123
April 22, 2012, 03:22 PM
Mitt Romney would be the third president to never own guns. He claims he owned a shotgun for a year or so, but this has NEVER been substantiated. No record of Mitt has ever surfaced that shows he has ever bought a hunting license either but he claims to have been a duck hunter.

What does this mean?

Beware, no matter who is president after November, your gun rights will be under attack.

TED NUGENT FOR NRA PRESIDENT!!!! Go Ted!

T.R.
April 22, 2012, 03:35 PM
My opinion of Ted Nugent went down several notches becasue of an elk hunt he filmed. Ted said the Texas ranch he hunted was the BEST in the world. I looked it up - ranch is only 12 acres!!

TR

MarkDido
April 22, 2012, 03:52 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Ted is more supportive of your 2nd Amendment right, than y'all are of his First.

rcmodel
April 22, 2012, 03:55 PM
He claims he owned a shotgun for a year or so, but this has NEVER been substantiated.Maybe he had one strapped on top of his car, along with his dog.

rc

rajb123
April 22, 2012, 04:00 PM
I heard Ted wanted to stage an elk hunt within the 12 acres of the Bronx zoo but this was not lawful.

...but seriously, the illegal bear harvest is a big problem and I would not be surprised to see his TV show yanked! ...not many avid hunters want to watch a TV host who has violated the game laws...

gfanikf
April 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
I heard Ted wanted to stage an elk hunt within the 12 acres of the Bronx zoo but this was not lawful.

...but seriously, the illegal bear harvest is a big problem and I would not be surprised to see his TV show yanked! ...not many avid hunters want to watch a TV host who has violated the game laws...
Yeah apparently his quote on his guns being defective can't be extended to his bows.

bubbacrabb
April 22, 2012, 04:12 PM
I think that illegal bear hunt is just a politically fueled bunch of bs. I understand how it can be looked at that way but I've wounded animals and not counted that as my tag. It sucks, puts a bad feeling in your gut but it happens. I also see no problem at all with what he said at the NRA convention. I thought it was kind of inspirational and passionate for our rights. I wish more people would think this way. Also Tue news that are making this really look bad like CNN etc are all liberal based news just trying to twist things for their agenda.

gfanikf
April 22, 2012, 04:19 PM
I think that illegal bear hunt is just a politically fueled bunch of bs. I understand how it can be looked at that way but I've wounded animals and not counted that as my tag. It sucks, puts a bad feeling in your gut but it happens. I also see no problem at all with what he said at the NRA convention. I thought it was kind of inspirational and passionate for our rights. I wish more people would think this way. Also Tue news that are making this really look bad like CNN etc are all liberal based news just trying to twist things for their agenda.
Have you done it in Alaska? Look say what you want, but Alaska doesn't mess around with gaming violations, I doubt it's politically motivated bs.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 22, 2012, 04:25 PM
I'd be willing to bet that Ted is more supportive of your 2nd Amendment right, than y'all are of his First.
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I don't believe I;ve read anyone calling for Congress to abridge his free speech. Just because a person has the right to say stupid things doesn't mean they should or that we should just shrug it off and say, "Well, that's his right."

It's a shame that people always trot out the 1A as an excuse for people shooting off their mouths. Put more simply, "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

OcelotZ3
April 22, 2012, 04:37 PM

Really? People here are saying he *can't* be saying those things? I have not seen that in any of the postings.

It sounds like you believe the First Amendment means that one cannot criticize someone for saying something stupid.

You need to do some studying up on what the First Amendment really means.

Tommygunn
April 22, 2012, 05:10 PM
The Democrats learned in the 1990 election what crossing the line on the Second Amendment can lead to as far as invigorating the law abiding voter base

Help me out here, what happened in 1990? Crossing the line meant they gained 1 seat in the Senate and 7 in the house?

Did you mean the 1994 elections where the Democrats lost 9 Senate seats in 54 in the house or am I being "informationally challenged"?

I get the feeling he's talking about the 1994 assault weapon ban that even Clinton later claimed cost them the majority -- in the 1996 election.
But I could be daydreaming.
Anyway that's the only thing I could think of ... ... ...

arcticap
April 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
See who voted for it back then in the House & Senate:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/103-1994/h416

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/votes/103-1994/s295

Reference:

Assault Weapons Ban History

http://www.pagunblog.com/2009/02/23/assault-weapons-ban-history/

Steel Horse Rider
April 22, 2012, 05:42 PM
Jorg: You are correct as I was thinking about the response from the Clinton Assault weapons ban, I inadvertently posted the wrong year. Thanks for the correction.

Articap: You have never read of me saying "Republicans good" nor will you ever as the leadership of the Republicans would like to strip the citizenry of their power just as much as the leadership of the Dems. I cannot help what your mind "implies" that I meant so stick with what I actually post please.

Things political have a great impact on our country and to ignore the differences of the parties and the differences within the parties is pure folly. I believe they have even given up trying to build Utopia even in Boulder, Colorado, but it seems segments of our society still yearn for the impossible. This place may prove out the saying that "Ignorance is bliss" when it comes to abandoning the republic our founders left for us.

Jim NE
April 22, 2012, 05:48 PM
This is a hard call. I never much liked Nugent's music, or even his personality, but he's probably useful as a "flash point" to demonstrate the anger that exists on the Right, not unlike those who publicly (and wildly) protest the hyper-publicized shooting in Florida are being used as tools by the Left.

There probably just needs to be a little more distance between Ted and the official organizations that he represents, such the RP or NRA.

Whatever the reality is, pro-gun advocates should NEVER believe that their spokesman (whoever it may be) will be seen as respectable by the anti-gun forces that oppose them. The anti-gun crowd hated Charleton Heston as much as they hate Ted Nugent. (think Bowling for Columbine.)

If you think Nugent is too extreme, you're probably correct, but you should also probably (re)familiarize yourself with Cass Sunstein to get a reminder of just what we're up against.

whalerman
April 22, 2012, 06:01 PM
Jim NE has a real point on that one. No matter how nice and reserved and quiet and apologetic our leaders are, the anti's freedom folks will hate them. We could have God himself on our side and they would hate us, perhaps even more.

If we keep fighting amongst ourselves, get ready for Obama II. You will wish you had not done so.

Arkansas Paul
April 22, 2012, 06:03 PM

There has been absolutely no one in this thread that has said anything remotely resembling taking away his 1st ammendment right. He has the right to say what he wants, and I have the right to think he's an idiot and voice my opinion disagreeing with it.
I'm pretty sure that's both of us excercising our 1st ammendment right.

357 Terms
April 22, 2012, 06:40 PM
If you think Nugent is too extreme, you're probably correct, but you should also probably (re)familiarize yourself with Cass Sunstein to get a reminder of just what we're up against.

I guess the problem, as I see it, is that few people know who Cass Sunstein is.

Nugent seeks attention, and gets it, the only problem I have is that he doesn't have the integrity or the respect of the masses to actually change minds, especially of those who are sitting on the fence.

Not to mention that as a hunter, I have little respect for him.

Jorg Nysgerrig
April 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
No matter how nice and reserved and quiet and apologetic our leaders are, the anti's freedom folks will hate them.

You see, that's something that I think some folks are missing here. It isn't the dyed-in-the-wool gun control proponents that matter the most right now. Carolyn McCarthy isn't going to be swayed by any amount of smooth talking. Paul Helmke isn't going to say, "Well, I was rethinking my opinion, but then Ted Nugent said that!"

Those people really don't matter. They have made their decisions and are firmly entrenched. Nothing Ted Nugent or any of us can say will affect them. The people who matter are the millions who don't really feel strongly one way or the other.

It's the guy down the street that has a couple of guns for hunting, but doesn't join the NRA because he thinks they are too extreme. He just got pushed further away.

It's the woman who doesn't really think about gun control, but just heard on the radio the Ted Nugent, the guy known as much for his outspoken positions on guns as his music, is being investigated by the Secret Service for making a comment about the President.

Think about it. We have posters on this forum, in this very thread, who want to distance themselves from Nugent's comment. If what he said bothers so many of the die-hard gun nuts here, imagine how it is perceived by those outside the firearms community.

I suppose that's all I've got to say on the matter.

357 Terms
April 22, 2012, 07:08 PM
Think about it. We have posters on this forum, in this very thread, who want to distance themselves from Nugent's comment. If what he said bothers so many of the die-hard gun nuts here, imagine how it is perceived those outside the firearms community.

Exactly!

Those that may not have an opinoin either way will NOT be swayed by some jackace that runs his mouth off.

Not to mention that the core of the 2nd amend. supporters ( hunters, CCW) don't agree or relate to his "veiws"

Sorry, he is hurting the cause...when you look at the whole spectrum, and how many people are influenced.

jcwit
April 22, 2012, 07:33 PM
Lots of opinions here, I've expressed mine also, but in 2 to 4 weeks I think none of them will matter not one whit!

mljdeckard
April 22, 2012, 07:40 PM
The infractions against him are somewhat technical, and I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the enforcement here is HIGHLY selective.

JLDickmon
April 22, 2012, 07:45 PM
No one pays any attention to the issues until Nugent springs them to the forefront..

stanmo
April 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
Nugent is an idiot and would make a good Poster Boy for the Brady Campain.

jcwit
April 22, 2012, 09:03 PM

Your definition of idiot must be much different than mine.

For being an idiot he seems to have done very well for himself.

Campain

Say what?

Mike Kerr
April 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Jorg wrote:

It's the guy down the street that has a couple of guns for hunting, but doesn't join the NRA because he thinks they are too extreme. He just got pushed further away.

It's the woman who doesn't really think about gun control, but just heard on the radio the Ted Nugent, the guy known as much for his outspoken positions on guns as his music, is being investigated by the Secret Service for making a comment about the President.

Think about it. We have posters on this forum, in this very thread, who want to distance themselves from Nugent's comment. If what he said bothers so many of the die-hard gun nuts here, imagine how it is perceived those outside the firearms community.

I believe you said it very well. Thanks for your correct summary.

regards,

:):):)

HoosierQ
April 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
He ain't helping!

jmstevens2
April 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I don't believe I;ve read anyone calling for Congress to abridge his free speech. Just because a person has the right to say stupid things doesn't mean they should or that we should just shrug it off and say, "Well, that's his right."

It's a shame that people always trot out the 1A as an excuse for people shooting off their mouths. Put more simply, "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
I really like Ted for what he has done and will do. I think he will be made to look like an idiot for the Brady Bunch's pleasure and to try and bolster votes for he who shall not be named. I think the 5th Amendment should have been applied here. It would be more appropriate.

As to the 12 acre ranch hunt, wasn't that right after his KNEE REPLACEMENT? Give him a break.

I am not buying all the other stuff any more than I do all the other lies coming out of Washington, New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles.
I need some evidence first.

Funny he has done a lot for the Troops and Wounded Warrior project. Yet we are so fast to throw him under the bus. I sure hope none of you are ever part of my defense in the unfortunate event that I ever have to use my carry gun.
Why must we eat our own here?:banghead:

jmstevens2
April 22, 2012, 10:10 PM
To be taken seriously when calling one an idiot, it is best to use spell check.

Steel Horse Rider
April 22, 2012, 10:33 PM
Some here seem also to forget that Ted was elected to the NRA BOD by the membership. You are not allowed to un-elect him just because you don't care for his comments or actions but you can remove yourself as a member of the organization if you so disapprove. I think we may have some Trojan members in this organization as one of the stategies employed by the Obama campaign is to infiltrate and blur the issues.

Ringolevio
April 22, 2012, 10:49 PM
Jorg wrote:
Think about it. We have posters on this forum, in this very thread, who want to distance themselves from Nugent's comment. If what he said bothers so many of the die-hard gun nuts here, imagine how it is perceived by those outside the firearms community.

Having followed this thread, I have to conclude that to assume this forum is populated by "die-hard gun nuts" is a real stretch.

It's even a stretch to assume that this forum is populated by people whose thoughts and opinions are informed by much of anything other than the Lamestream Media.

It's no wonder our once-great country is in such dire straits, when even so-called firearms enthusiasts refuse to see the handwriting on the wall and willfully turn a blind eye to the way our rights, our freedoms, our constitution, our values and our morality are being systematically undermined, attacked and destroyed.

I am frankly disgusted by what I have read from so many here. I might as well be reading MoveOn.org.

jcwit
April 22, 2012, 11:00 PM
Well put Ringolevio, I thought many many posts ago that this whole thread seemed to be more of a bash the NRA thread than one about a man voicing his views as he sees them, and not doing it politically correct.

Frankly I think we need more who speak their mind so those with differing views have no doubt what is ment.

rellascout
April 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

I have heard that somewhere before... :D

Erik M
April 22, 2012, 11:17 PM
He's bad for further alienating the anti-2A people, other than that I like him. I like Uncle Ted, but I like listening to Jesse Ventura more.

doc540
April 22, 2012, 11:25 PM
He's been consistently wild since day one of his rock'n'roll career.

Before anyone knew who he was he played the Knight's of Columbus Hall here in Beaumont, Texas.

Local LEO's arrested him for shooting a flaming arrow from the stage into the back wall of the building.

True story.

rajb123
April 23, 2012, 12:12 AM
...more animals are lost to bow hunters than guns; right? ....Let Uncle Sam regulate bow sales and bow use instead of guns...

Robert
April 23, 2012, 12:26 AM
Honestly I have tired to ignore everything the man does or says. I tend to agree with Jorg, how many fence sitters has he pushed to the other side with his over the top antics? More flys with honey and all that.

Having followed this thread, I have to conclude that to assume this forum is populated by "die-hard gun nuts" is a real stretch.

It's even a stretch to assume that this forum is populated by people whose thoughts and opinions are informed by much of anything other than the Lamestream Media.

:rolleyes:
You are entitled to your opinion... But I have found the members of THR, of all stripes, to be some of the most well informed level headed people on the internet. Sure we have our fair share of clowns but for a forum of our size I think the membership is far above average. But as they say YMMV...

jmstevens2
April 23, 2012, 12:31 AM
He's been consistently wild since day one of his rock'n'roll career.

Before anyone knew who he was he played the Knight's of Columbus Hall here in Beaumont, Texas.

Local LEO's arrested him for shooting a flaming arrow from the stage into the back wall of the building.

True story.
Here in Cincinnati too, back in the early 90's or so. Still doesn't make him a bad man, show business is show business.

X-Rap
April 23, 2012, 12:36 AM
I hear that around 45% of American adults own a gun, what is the percentage of membership in a pro 2a organization?
I doubt if Ted is scaring off to many true believers, show the rest to the door, they will falter when we need them most.

JShirley
April 23, 2012, 12:37 AM
I don't see anywhere productive to go with this thread.

John

If you enjoyed reading about "Ted Nugent; hurting the cause?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!