Money no object CCW .45acp

PDA

Gtimothy
April 22, 2012, 10:10 AM
I am in need of some advice from the "experts" here on THR about what your choice in a .45 acp CCW would be if money were no object. My 1911A1 is just too heavy to carry for extended periods and is a bit large to conceal easily. :(

I'm looking at a Kimber Ultra TLE II in stainless but have not had the chance to fire one. I like the size and the fact that it has a full size grip for my big hands. Any opinions/information on this gun and Kimber as a manufacturer, as well as any other choices, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Money no object CCW .45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Magoo
April 22, 2012, 10:39 AM
$ no object?
http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-tactical-supergrade-compact.asp

Get one for me too :).

needmorecowbell
April 22, 2012, 11:04 AM
I'd go with a Dan Wesson CCO Bobtail
http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-cco-bobtail/

ku4hx
April 22, 2012, 11:10 AM
If money were no object, I'd buy one of each, shoot them all (500 rounds minimum) and pick the one that served me best.

WNC Seabee
April 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
S&W 4513. IN MY OPINION...it carries easier than a 1911 because of the DA first shot. Carried with the decocker/safety disengaged, you have the ease of use of a revolver (just pull the trigger) without fussing/forgetting about the thumb safety.

Very accurate, incredibly reliable. And the aluminum frame reduces the weight significantly. Similar ergos to the 1911.

That being said....I'm really looking forward to the XD Slim .45 that should be out this month

beatledog7
April 22, 2012, 11:27 AM
Money no object? Hire a team of personal guards. But I guess they're kind of hard to conceal.

W.E.G.
April 22, 2012, 11:39 AM
Glock 21 if you want full capacity double-stack.
Glock 30 if you want compact double-stack.
Glock 36 if you want compact single-stack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnVKX91hqJo

Even the "big" Glock is not really that big.

Here is a the "big" Glock 22 compared to a four inch revolver.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/securitysixcomparedG22.jpg

...and the "little" Glock 26 compared to a J-frame Smith and Wesson

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/G26comparedtoSWM60.jpg

Ramone
April 22, 2012, 12:30 PM
Detonics Combat Master.

bds
April 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
Money no object? California legal KRISS Vector (http://www.nwatactical.com/kriss-45acp-carbine-legal-p-1814.html) :D:D:D

http://www.nwatactical.com/images/KRISS-.45-carbine.jpg

Perhaps, soon to be released Ruger SR45.

19-3Ben
April 22, 2012, 01:13 PM
S&W CS45, and send it to a gunsmith for melt down, refinish, trigger job, etc... if needed.

Seabee had another good suggestion with the 4513. It's another great, classic .45.

critter
April 22, 2012, 01:39 PM
I have a Colt New Agent that I like very much. It is a 1911, 3" barrel, lightweight frame and shoots surprisingly well. It has NEVER had a failure of any kind.

It has the trench sights on top of the slide but a similar gun is available with sights. Check them out.

jfrey
April 22, 2012, 03:03 PM
Stay away from the Kimbers. You can do better for the same money and get a better gun. Find something with a Commander length slide on an Officers frame. I believe Wilson and Dan Wesson have one with an alloy frame. My Springfield Ultra-Compact is stainless with a 3 1/2 bbl. but it gets heavy after a while. If you want .45 fire power in a light gun, look at the G36. Same big bullet but a lot lighter to carry. For a 1911 gun I carry my Briley Versatility commander more than anything.

hardluk1
April 22, 2012, 03:37 PM
Money no object Les Baer concept VIII or custom carry 4 1/2" . Smart money , glock, xd or m&p.

DennisE
April 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
Absolutely can't beat the SIG 1911 Ultra! Dennis

ColtPythonElite
April 22, 2012, 09:45 PM
Colt Defender

gfpd707
April 22, 2012, 09:47 PM
Glock 30

spend the rest on training.

bigfatdave
April 22, 2012, 10:28 PM
A pair of super-duper custom lightweight CCO sized guns, one to shoot the snot out of and one to carry.

SFCRandall
April 22, 2012, 10:54 PM
I have the Colt New Agent also. Beautifully simple pistol. Handles and carries well.

Coltdriver
April 22, 2012, 10:57 PM
Without question a Glock 36. 26 ounces loaded. IWB you will forget it is there.

Let's face it, how many times in your life have you ever pulled your ccw? Most of us never do. In fact the vast majority of us never do.

So why lug three plus pounds of anything around? Way too much effort. And the one you carry is the one that is easy to carry.

Get a Mitch Rosen IWB. Buy Gold Dots.

Spend the rest on practice!

Sergei Mosin
April 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
A better holster and belt to improve your ability to carry and conceal the 1911 you already have.

Litlman
April 22, 2012, 11:07 PM
I always liked the look of Ed Brown 1911's. "Cobra Carry" Above my price line, but some day.

mavracer
April 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
STI VIP
http://sti.rmorse.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/VIP_Aluminum_Main.jpg

orionengnr
April 22, 2012, 11:30 PM
Stay away from the Kimbers. You can do better for the same money and get a better gun.
Really?

I carry a 4" Kimber Pro Eclipse every day, and have done so for the last two years. I have owned at least 25 1911s, amd 8 of them have been Kimbers. I shoot my Pro Eclipse II at the range weekly, and have participated in a number of IDPA and Steel Challenge matches.

I just bought a 4 1/4" S&W E-Series Scandium 1911, and as soon as I get about 1000 trouble free rounds through it, it may replace the Kimber as my EDC. It is a good 8 oz lighter, and the bobtail is a nice feature.

As of today, I am still carrying the Kimber.

Don't believe everything you read, especially from people who know not of what they speak. :)

MICHAEL T
April 23, 2012, 12:15 AM
I HAD a Kimber Eclipse Iam glad yours is worth keeping mine wasn't I went back to Colt and have never looked back.

Colt defender great carry pistol at a reasonable price. Save rest of the money for ammo and a new car.

el Godfather
April 23, 2012, 06:30 PM
Vbob dan wesson

Art Eatman
April 23, 2012, 09:21 PM
Since around 1980, my main social gun has been a lightweight Commander. Sorta modified.

Oven cleaner removes anodizing. Then, for proper nitexing of the frame, use double-strength solution and run the current for twice as long--after a full de-horning and rounding of all sharp edges.

Beavertail grip safety. I'd traded into a dehorned slide which had S&W sights put on it, as well as a Browning cut at the front. Not my choice of sights, but no problems in thirty years, so...

A polished feed ramp, and bevelled mag well. The trigger breaks at three pounds, and does not follow to half-cock when the slide is released.

Diamond pattern factory wood grips.

Works really, really good. :D

Yotecallr
April 23, 2012, 09:31 PM
Les Baer anything.

Gtimothy
April 23, 2012, 10:20 PM
First of all, I want to thank everyone for the help. I'm getting some good information that is going to help with my decision. :)

I currently carry a "J" frame .38 in an IWB holster in the small of my back and I'm tired of having that cylinder pressing into my kidney all day. I tried carrying my 1911A1 there but the gun felt like it was pulling my pants down all day and created a lot of pressure on my hips. :(

So after reading these posts and doing more research online, I'm looking for something in the mid 20oz range, and easy to conceal, so I'm thinking either a "New Agent" size 1911 or a Glock 30 or 36.

BTW, The "money is no object" isn't really true...I do have a limit that will be determined by how much "kissing up" I have to do with my wife! ;)

Sergei Mosin
April 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
As you have discovered, small of the back is not really the ideal carry position for a full-size 1911. (I know Tom Selleck sometimes did it in "Magnum, P.I." but he didn't use a holster and he was a lot cooler than I am!) I carry mine on or just behind my right hip, IWB with a good leather holster and leather gun belt. Makes all the difference in the world.

xmanpike
April 23, 2012, 11:52 PM
I used to have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy. I recently bought a Dan Wesson CCO. The fit and finish on this gun is simply amazing. Zero FTF, FTE'S in 500+ rounds and counting. It's Alloy framed so it is light weight and the Officers size grip makes it lighter weight as well. It is a perfect carry gun in the 1911 platform.

Pancho
April 24, 2012, 12:53 AM
Not to throw a wet blanket on this "money is no object" line of thought but just remember that if you ever have to use your CCW gun it will be confiscated by the law and then bang around in some property room and be cared for by an officer that has little respect for your property. The gun will be returned to you at the convenience of the local government probably months after the incident and of course it won't be cleaned after you discharged it, a good reason not to CC a blackpowder revolver.

shootingthebreeze
April 24, 2012, 01:23 AM
I love my Kahr CW45; easy to carry, take apart, clean, re-assemble, and, very accurate. A true winner.

Teachu2
April 24, 2012, 01:37 AM
Die-hard 1911 shooter, no desire for a plastic pistol - until I shot a Glock 30. It's worth spending a few bucks to rent one and run a box through. I bought one.

bigfatdave
April 24, 2012, 01:41 AM
Pancho:
1 - the "money is no object" concept includes a replacement, doesn't it?
2 - as far as confiscation ... meh ... the cost of repairing/replacing a weapon is minimal conpared to the cost of being dead, and a gun you enjoy will get practiced with. I don't have silver-inlaid guns with rubies and emeralds for sight dots and grips made from the USS Constitution's teak decking ... but I carry guns I like, they tend to be in the 5-700 dollar range (more after a few minor tweaks), and I have quite a few of them ... instead of one $750 gun and a similar backup, I could easily have a $1500 gun. There's a lot of money tied up in that cabinet, a single particularly expensive gun isn't really signifigant once you start looking for a larger cabinet/safe to keep them in.
3 - I'll get my gun back in the condition it was confiscated in, or I'll blow more money than a new gun would cost making the confiscators' lives difficult, just on principle. Because that's the kind of jerk I am.
4 - A modern gun fired a few times isn't going to corrode unless kept in a humid environment, if it was cared for before firing. I'd be more worried about theft or deliberate damage. Seriously, the manufacturer test-fires a few rounds, sprays the gun down with shipping preservative, and tosses it in a box for who knows how long ... just firing a gun doesn't start it sliding down a slippery slope of corrosion quite as fast as some people fear.

April 24, 2012, 04:52 AM
A better holster and belt to improve your ability to carry and conceal the 1911 you already have.
A (Mitch Rosen Slimline) well made Holster will save you the coin over the latest and greatest 45 acp..

Pilot
April 24, 2012, 05:09 AM
Getting your gun back, if you get it back at all will be the least of your worries, and expenses if you unfortunately have to use it in self defense. Carry what you want.

bigfatdave
April 24, 2012, 05:36 AM
A better holster and belt to improve your ability to carry and conceal the 1911 you already have.this is very true, anything slim and flat is comfortable if you have a good belt (that's a real gunbelt, not a "pretty sturdy belt I found at WM/Sears/Target") and a well-designed holster. Getting that lump out of the SOB is probably a good idea, too - having somehting bulgy poking into your delicate anatomy around/on the spine isn't wise, you're going to slip and fall on your icy steps before you need a pistol for defense, statistically speaking (don't overanalyze the example here, either)

A BeltMan bullhide belt and a CrossBreed SuperTuck handle my all-steel RIA-built CCO-ish size 1911 and one or two extra magazines just fine ... weight isn't a major issue with the right carry gear.

45bthompson
April 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
I have a TLE II. It will NOT feed hp. I sent it back and they said it was fixed. Its not. A glock is a great choice. People would still buy them even if they had a higher price tag. The Colt defender would be my second choice.

Gtimothy
April 24, 2012, 09:27 PM
I'm going to try and swing by my LGS tomorrow or Thursday and see if he has any compact .45s for me to check out. I've said that I'd never own a Glock because I don't like the way they feel in my hand. However, I've heard nothing but good things about them and I think I'd like to at least check out a G30 or 36 before I rule them out completely. Just have to wait and see what I can get my hands on for comparison.

My sister's boyfriend is a leathersmith and I have him making me a custom gunbelt for my IWB holsters at this very moment. Maybe I can convince him to build me a holster as well. He builds western style gunbelts and holsters so maybe I can persuade him to venture into the practical side of holstery and build me a nice one for my 1911A1 or my Sig P229R....:cool:

Chuck R.
April 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
Here’s my solution; Les Baer “Stinger” (CCO) put together to match my Concept V. It’s a little heavy, but conceals well, and shoots like a full size.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a5/CFRHunter/X-Mas060937.jpg

Chuck

jolly roger
April 24, 2012, 10:16 PM
S&W M&P 45 Compact and a crap load of ammo. Mine shoots crazy good despite the funky trigger which has smoothed up a lot over 2K rounds or so. Shoots every bit as good as my Sig 220 and that's saying a lot.

LCPor9mm
April 24, 2012, 10:54 PM
Do yourself a favor...don't overlook the CCO.

GLOOB
April 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
High end 1911's are like pool cues. The more you spend, the more it's about the the looks rather than the function. I suppose I'd get a Les Bauer. They seem as good as any other, and they have an accuracy guarantee.

SigP229R
April 25, 2012, 01:48 PM
Sig Sauer P220.

NOLAEMT
April 25, 2012, 03:00 PM
If you're already comfortable with the 1911, I would go with a CCO (concealed carry officers) model.

I've got one (a Colt Gunsite CCO) that I absolutely love and is my full time carry gun.

Winkman822
April 25, 2012, 03:44 PM
By far my Wilson Combat CQB Compact. Perfect CCW gun.

Gtimothy
April 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
Well, I spent some time at one of my LGS looking at what he had to offer. He had both the Glock 30 and 36 in stock and I got to spend some time handling them. I found I likeed the 36 better than the 30. The 36 has a slimmer grip than the 30, which felt better in my hand. The only 1911 style compact he had in stock was a Colt for $1050.00. Think I'm gonna try (rent) the G36 this week and see how it shoots.

I also have my sister's boyfriend building me forward cant IWB holsters for my 1911A1 and Sig P229R. I may just have this issue licked, or at least I'll have my choice until I buy a dedicated semi-auto CCW gun.

Thank you guys for helping!

velojym
April 25, 2012, 07:13 PM
I really liked my old micro compact 1911, and I'm sorry I ever traded it off. Right now, though, I'm waiting for the XDs to hit my LGS' shelf. Really wanna try that one on for size. I've yet to find a ccw pistol I'm comfy with, in my caliber, that packs better than my full sized XD45. I'm sure the compact ones would, but I'll wait all the same.

45crittergitter
May 5, 2012, 11:09 PM
I solved that problem for myself by ordering a lightweight 5" Les Baer.

Inebriated
May 6, 2012, 02:07 AM
Glock 30.

dubya450
May 6, 2012, 02:10 AM
I'd just get a HK45 compact, but I'm not sure if it'd be able to replace my glock 36. Glocks are plain and boring but they do work.

coalman
May 6, 2012, 03:17 AM
To go real small I say a Kimber Ultra (Series I, SIS or Super Carry) or a Les Baer Stinger.

IlikeSA
May 6, 2012, 08:12 AM
Something from Volkmann precision. http://volkmannprecision.com/main/options.html

PabloJ
May 6, 2012, 09:38 AM
I am in need of some advice from the "experts" here on THR about what your choice in a .45 acp CCW would be if money were no object. My 1911A1 is just too heavy to carry for extended periods and is a bit large to conceal easily. :(

I'm looking at a Kimber Ultra TLE II in stainless but have not had the chance to fire one. I like the size and the fact that it has a full size grip for my big hands. Any opinions/information on this gun and Kimber as a manufacturer, as well as any other choices, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
I would look at Performance Center 'Shorty .45' or 'CQB' based of winning 45xx series. These are sadly no longer made so it would have to be second-hand one. These are great because unlike in 1911 there is no safties or levers to worry about from holster to time of discharge. One simply de-cocks the hammer before stuffing the thing into holster ready for double action first shot.

jmvdigital
May 6, 2012, 01:56 PM
I guess I'll be the first to suggest the HK45c or full size HK45. Not cheap, but HK's are generally considered higher quality than almost all other polymer handguns. Read the interview with Larry Vickers and Ken Hawthorne on the creation of those two pistols. Very interesting.

http://pistol-training.com/articles/hk45-interview-with-ken-hackathorn-and-larry-vickers

I stopped drinking the Glock koolaid a few months back. Didn't fit me well and fit and finish just wasn't that great.

Nappers
May 7, 2012, 10:16 AM
Wiley Clapp Colt Commander.....

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/talo-colt-21st-century-commander-review/

Thaddeus Jones
May 7, 2012, 10:36 AM
HK USP 45 compact. Light weight, easily concealed, good capacity (8+1), accurate and reliable.

If I had the money, I'd also own the HK45 compact. Good luck! :)

jon_in_wv
May 7, 2012, 10:58 AM
If money is no object, which it shouldn't be for a CCW. I would still not get a 1911. Your best 1911s are great pistols but the bottom line, TO ME, is that you spend the extra money for tuning and fitting that you hope will make it as reliable as a Glock, H&K, M&P, 3rd Generation S&W, SIG, FN, or an XD. The high end 1911s will have a short and crisp trigger, and be very accurate but neither is the most important thing in a carry piece. I would suggest you truly make money no object, as in "more expensive doesn't mean better" and try a variety of pistols that fit your criteria and find one that fits you well and is comfortable to carry. If you like your 1911, except for the weight, explore some of the alloy framed 1911s mentioned above. If you aren't 100% sold on a 1911 I would try the others. My personal first pick if I wanted a 45 acp would be the M&P 45c or even a M&P 45 service size. It isn't really any larger than the 1911, is lighter, and carries nicer on the hip. I've carried my M&P 9mm fullsize with 18 rounds and it carried much more comfortably than a steel framed 1911. I've found M&Ps to be very reliable and supremely easy to shoot well. I paid about $500 for my M&P 9c and there is nothing I would have gained by spending 2-3 times that amount. A lot of people really like the Glock 36 as a compact and slim 45acp carry gun. I don't blame them one bit. I even owned a XD 45 for a while and if it was the compact I would probably still own it. It was a tank and totally reliable but the grip was a little long for my taste. Another option to try out is the Ruger P345. Its slim, accurate, reliable, and about the size of a Commander 1911.
I still lust for a Dan Wesson or a Wilson Combat but when it comes to a defensive weapon I just don't honestly believe they are that much more capable as a defensive weapon. People love the name, the accuraccy, the fit and finish, etc......(me included) but there are plenty of guns that throw lead just as reliably and one of them might just be a better fit for you. The real question is to find out which weapon you will defend yourself best with, not what gun would you buy if you had the money to buy it, which seems to be the answer a lot of guys are giving.
The answer for you might be a $2500+ 1911, but if you don't give weapons like the ones mentioned above you will do yourself a real disservice.

The_Armed_Therapist
May 7, 2012, 11:15 AM
Coming from someone who doesn't like 1911s beyond historical value, I like the XDM 4.50" for general carry and the Glock G30 for more concealable carry. If I had infinite funds, these are what I would buy. Also, I guess if funds are unlimited, I'd also pick up a Kahr PM45 for deep concealment/back-up carry.

Havok7416
May 7, 2012, 11:39 AM
Colt Defender
+1

The Colt Defender is a great gun IMO.

460Kodiak
May 7, 2012, 02:01 PM
Sig 229 elite

JustinJ
May 7, 2012, 02:42 PM
HK45 compact without question.

bluecollar
May 7, 2012, 02:53 PM
Try this handgun with this holster on a good belt if you want to stay with a 1911. This is the most comfortable IWB I have ever worn and I hate the d#*n things.:D164092

beeb173
May 7, 2012, 03:05 PM
compact HK usp 45...nicer than any kimber, sig, glock or smith that I've ever fired.

CMC
May 7, 2012, 03:10 PM
If money is no object you need to get the Wilson Ultralight carry
http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-ultralight-carry-compact.asp

Gtimothy
May 7, 2012, 10:31 PM
I have a new Kydex IWB holster coming this week for my P229R so I'm going to carry that for a while until I can make up my mind on a .45ACP. I'm leaning towards the Glock 30 however because of the size and hopefully I'll get to the range this week to try one out. Thanks guys for the input and I'll update you all on what happens.

RugerOldArmy
May 7, 2012, 10:52 PM
Money No-Object CCW?

I'd have this guy make a Valtro in a Bobtail. Great smith. 1911. 4340 Steel throughout.

Get in line. His waiting list was YEARS long a bit back.

http://www.jardinescustom.com/custom1911s.html

medic_guns
May 7, 2012, 11:05 PM
Les Baer. I had a stinger that I sold, and only because I didn't like the short grip. I love the full size gun. I plan to pick up the Ultimate Tactical Carry in 5". It is essentially the TRS without the rollmark. What is nice about Baer guns is they are reliable and you can customize the gun with grips. The 1911 is a fine piece. Right now, I carry a USP .45. It is nice, but it isn't a 1911.

mnhntr
May 8, 2012, 12:28 AM
HK USPc 45

Stealth01
May 8, 2012, 07:04 PM
Money is no object... Son let me introduce you to Wilson Combat!!

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/kengallagher/guns1.jpg

The epitome of the 1911 platform...

Stevie-Ray
May 8, 2012, 08:32 PM
I'm a Colt guy, but I have carried a Kimber Ultra CDP for 8 or so years. Back then Colt didn't offer much in the CC dept., they do now. I'd be checking them out if I was looking now. If you really like Kimbers, I will not try to dissuade you, as mine has been a perfect carry all along. It replaced and totally outclassed a HK USP45C, so that should tell you something.

rodensouth
May 8, 2012, 09:01 PM
I really like my HK 45c. Very accurate, and has been 100% reliable with the 2200 rounds of various ammo I've put through it. It feels like it soaks up the recoil much more than my light frame Kimber tactical pro. I like the trigger in SA and DA.

WC145
May 8, 2012, 09:02 PM
Money no object CCW .45acp?

This-

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-dC5EmRubMbA/T6mJByNPMtI/AAAAAAAAEXI/9OWrkYxoO4E/s576/SDC12062.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-e8t7nKnPUGI/T6mJD2qYQBI/AAAAAAAAEXk/VrrdhF9WxXs/s640/SDC12065.JPG

Or maybe one of these-

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-gySUiVqfIzg/T3t2xHJlmGI/AAAAAAAAEEU/k0xB0CHbIa0/s720/SDC11904.JPG

FMF Doc
May 8, 2012, 10:08 PM
Money is no object... Son let me introduce you to Wilson Combat!!

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/kengallagher/guns1.jpg

The epitome of the 1911 platform...

I respectfully disagree. This is the epitome of the 1911:

Knighthawk Custom ENFORCER

halesb
May 9, 2012, 01:41 AM
Glock 21 with a Trijicon RMR, supressor and Surefire X300.......

mattmann
May 9, 2012, 04:04 AM
Wilson combat or nighthawk. Absolutely gorgeous guns.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quiet
May 9, 2012, 04:22 AM
H&K P-7M7
http://hkp7.com/graphics/p7m7left.jpg

PabloJ
May 9, 2012, 09:00 AM
Semmerling LH-4. It's tiny about size of Kimber Solo 9x19 with 'a mano' action making it utterly reliable.

dondavis3
May 9, 2012, 11:58 AM
Sig Sauer P220 Stainless Elite

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/SigSauerP22045cal2.jpg

Or if you want a smaller one

Sig Sauer P220 compact Elite

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx67/dondavis3/Guns/IMG_1619.jpg

Both unbelievably accurate.

:cool:

el Godfather
May 9, 2012, 04:16 PM
Sig P220 Elite Carry

klw1911
May 9, 2012, 10:48 PM
Kahr pm 45,light thin and dependable.

orionengnr
May 9, 2012, 11:37 PM
When I was working my way up from a Scandium j-frame, I carried a Kimber Ultra Carry and owned an Ultra CDP. Both worked perfectly and carried easily.

Once I got used to carrying that 24 oz pistol, I moved up another step to an alloy-framed Commander-size (about 28 oz). My latest is an S&W E-series 4" Scandium 1911...as soon as i get about 1000 rounds through it, this will be my new EDC.

My S&W was about $1100, but I have seen used ones for ~$750-800.

Claude Clay
May 9, 2012, 11:52 PM
if you can deal with recoil, any of the 3" colt defender, agents or kimbers. yes, some of the kimbers have had troubles and even rolls's get recalled. arthritis made me put aside light weight power packages for things with some weight--H&K P7, Sig C3, S&W 3" PRO 357 (carried with silvertips). though they weigh the same, i took the Sig p230 over the p238.
as always--its what fits your hand and what you shoot the best with and what carries the eaisest on you that is what you go with.

buy 2 or 3 cause the weather may change or you may dress so that one holster system carries better than another. idealy you will have more than one holster for each gun anyways. sometimes i like to take my Colt 1903 out to the theater for a treat. its as close as i get to a BBQ gun...

Nce
May 10, 2012, 12:58 AM
My money no object 1911 for carry is a bobtailed Wilson combat lightweight Tactical Supergrade in .45

45crittergitter
June 2, 2012, 06:30 PM
Not to throw a wet blanket on this "money is no object" line of thought but just remember that if you ever have to use your CCW gun it will be confiscated by the law and then bang around in some property room and be cared for by an officer that has little respect for your property. The gun will be returned to you at the convenience of the local government probably months after the incident and of course it won't be cleaned after you discharged it, a good reason not to CC a blackpowder revolver.

That's why I keep a second one in the safe.

gym
June 2, 2012, 06:40 PM
The 2nd gent said it, Wilson makes several guns in the 5 thousand to 8 thousand "with desired custom work ", you could easily end up with a 10 thousand dollar gun. So if money was not an issue, I would get one of those supergrade wilson carry pistols in a heartbeat.

ec4321
June 2, 2012, 10:03 PM
Easy

SVI / Infinity Firearms - Tiki T

http://i.imgur.com/wDGpO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yfXgz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/CjqQc.jpg

HKGuns
June 3, 2012, 12:33 AM
Hk45c

TonyT
June 3, 2012, 08:37 AM
I carried a Glock-36 for several years. At the time I purchased the G-36 the current Kahr 45ACP pitols were not available. My G-36 was very reliable and accurate and provided one with 6+1 shot capability in a slim package. I beleive the Kahr 45's are a bit slimmer. Personally I would not carry a pistol with either external hammer or safeties.

Teachu2
June 4, 2012, 09:08 PM
In spite of my long and passionate relationship with a harem of 1911s, I am transitioning to a Glock 30 Gen3 as my primary CCW. CA-legal limit of rounds, surprisingly accurate, a hoot to shoot, as reliable as any handgun I've ever fired - and ugly enough to scare most people away without firing a shot! Buy half a dozen of 'em for the price of a good custom 1911, or buy two and 5000+ rounds of practice ammo.

If this were titled "Money no object .45acp" my answer would be different - but CCW changes it all.

ZXD9
June 4, 2012, 09:42 PM
HK45C. Accurate. Built well. German engineering.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

kutz
June 8, 2012, 01:11 PM
My Colt New Agent is perfect in every way. Plus $500 less than the Kimber Super Ultra Carry + I was looking at. I have a full size kimber and love it too.

Special Projects
June 8, 2012, 11:32 PM
Glock 30

skt239
June 8, 2012, 11:55 PM
Since most .45's are too heavy and big for me to comfortably carry, I'd get a PM45 then send it off to somewhere like Cylinder and Slide to make it work.

B!ngo
June 9, 2012, 12:11 AM
HK45 compact without question.
Ditto. But with LEM Light trigger option to get rid of the DA/SA action. Great handgun.

Brian Williams
June 9, 2012, 02:33 AM
Money no object, buy a Caspian titanium frame and a Carbon steel Govt slide and send them to Jim Garthwaite (http://www.garthwaite.com/services/classes.php) or attend one of his Gunsmith classes.

TimboKhan
June 9, 2012, 11:39 AM
Brian beat me to it! I would love to go to a Garthwaite class!!!

Second choice would be something by Ed Brown.

In the interest of full disclosure though, I am perfectly satisfied with both my carry guns: A Glock 26 and a Taurus 605. Both have proven to be excellent guns, and both were good choices for me because money IS an object.

rellascout
June 9, 2012, 11:40 AM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/cco-6.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/CCO.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/cco-5.gif

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t213/rellascout/cco-3-1.gif

gym
June 9, 2012, 12:03 PM
Pick up a pair or two of CCW Breakaway slacks. They come in Cargo and standard pleated Kachki , along wit demim jeans. Thay also make all of them except the jeans, in shorts. They have 2 pockets that are holsters, "real holsters" designed by an engineer thet can be adjusted laterally and vertically. You can carry up to a fullsize 1911 in them or a small 380. They run around a hundred dollars. But they work, and have been written about in many magazines in the past year. He mad a reinforced pocket that will not print, and you can carry a glock in there with the panel that goes between the material and the outer pocket, "just to be double safe".
I finally broke down and ordered a pair in the green color, "like a blue green". I figure you pay more than that for a decent holster, so the pants are free. Also you have the long pockets beneath the regular pockets for keys glasses or whatever. I am pretty sure that once I get these I will be ordering several more colors and a pair of the jeans. And this may solve the problem at last. The gun is fully adjustable in the pocket, for grip height etc. Take a look, it's CCW breakaway, just google it, this way you don't have to dress around the gun, you know that all your guns will fit in these. And this has been a nusence for 40 years for me, every time I have to leave the house for a dinner or family gathering. I hate to have a couple guns that I don't really like, but fit into the pocket or jacket.If it's not the gun I normally use, it never feels right, and having 2 holster pockets allows for my Bug, or two spare mags, that also won't print,or hang and make your pants look silly.
He put a lot of thought into them and the have a harness"best explanation" that the pockets are reinforced under the belt, the pockets "breakaway with 2 snaps when you pull your gun out, but the belt covers the snaps. So you aren't trying to pull the gun through a small opening.You twist your hand and your gun breaks away from the slacks allowing it to come straight out.
The jeans having a smaller pocket by nature of the way they are cut, will only take up to a Glock 26, as they are not pleated and the pockets are different, he recentlly added them to the line, because people were asking for jeans. But I have been looking at the site for a while now, and everyone who has them swears by them, that's why I am being so specific, I get mine next week, so I will better know exactlly how they work out, but I have high hopes. We all seem to have this problem maybe this guy figured out the answer.

Chevelle SS
June 9, 2012, 02:10 PM
Wilson Combat commander size

gym
June 9, 2012, 02:41 PM
I got the pants about an hour after my post, they are excellent. I set them up with my Glock 26 and it dissapears in the pocket holster. That was one of the first velcro stop settings, they can easily hide my Govt model 1911. I am very pleased. The 6 dollar slice of plastic goes between the pocket holser and the leg stops anything from getting in the way of the trigger. I recommend a plastic trigger block with the glock in the pocket holster, "just to be double safe". You can use the "toilet facilities" anyware now as the gun need not leave the pants. The snaps are so hidden under the material flap, that you could never know they were there, but a quick twist of the pistol opens the entire side to allow the gun to come straight out. Gotta get a few more now, my wife and 2 friends were here when they came and they can't believe how nice they are, true to size, I ordered 34x32 and they fit perfect. I fully endorse these as a great way to carry for most guys and gals 80% of the time.

EddieNFL
June 9, 2012, 03:15 PM
My 1911A1 is just too heavy

http://www.ironcompany.com/olympicbarbellset-300lbcapbarbelloshb-300.aspx

TonyT
June 9, 2012, 03:19 PM
For concealed carry I prefer a pistol without external hammers or safeties. I used a Glock-36 which was slim and reliable with 6+1 capacity. I have not had the opportunity to shoot the newer Kahr 45's.

45crittergitter
July 1, 2012, 06:44 PM
For those who say a full size 1911 is too big/heavy, FWIW I carry a 5" aluminum-framed 1911 daily, and I'm about 5'8" and about 140#. I have no problems with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Money no object CCW .45acp" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!