Powder Storage

PDA

CB900F
April 22, 2012, 01:51 PM
Fella's;

I find I'm accumulating enough powder to possibly merit a dedicated storage cabinet. I'm looking for information to include at what amount should a cabinet be aquired, what type of cabinet, and sources for cabinets. Is a flammable cabinet enough, or are there other considerations? This is not a commercial application, just home use.

900F

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jhop73
April 22, 2012, 03:09 PM
http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf

dragon813gt
April 22, 2012, 04:56 PM
Check your local laws because some are stricter. National Fire Code states that between 20-50#s be stored in a wooden box with walls no thinner than 1" or an approved metal container. Under 20#s is normal manufacturer's recommendations. Not following the fire or local codes can cost you your home owners policy if something were to happen. There are more details on storage container construction in the NFPA code book.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

homatok
April 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
Use an old fridge with a magnetic door so that in case of a fire it will pop open and release the pressure.

Brian10
April 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
I use a rolling metal filing cabinet. It has a simple keylock and plenty of ventilation given how loose the tolerances are.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Storage" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!