Ruger 10/22 firing bulk ammo grackle kill 100+ yards

PDA

baylorattorney
April 24, 2012, 06:50 PM
Yesterday on a windy day I was out shooting grackles cuz they make too much noise. Anyway, one was outta range I thought but I aimed 4 inches high and one inch left and Lo and behold dropped that black bird off the wire. Firing federal bulk .22 long rifle ammo out of a modified Ruger 10/22 with Shiloh barrel and tasco 6-24x40 scope. Impressed me, tho I know it's hardly unheard of.163342163343

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 firing bulk ammo grackle kill 100+ yards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Texas Gun Person
April 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
Was this "wire" you shot the bird off some sort of utility line? I did that as a kid and I cut the line in half. Had a run in with my dads belt later on that day. Ha. :)

Nice shooting.
My buddy has some breed of hawk that he uses to scare grackles off with. He is a master falconer. Pretty entertaining watching them take off when that hawk starts to dive for them.

Humakavula
April 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
Let me get this straight. A bird in its natural habitat doing what it naturally does was bothering you so you shot it. I assume you are aware of the legality of such an action? Aren't those considered migratory birds? Did you eat them?

Hunting game for food is just fine. Hunting legitimate pests is just fine. Killing because something is bothering you with noise is not just fine.

J-Bar
April 24, 2012, 07:13 PM
For some reason, I flashed on the scene from "The Karate Kid", when Mr. Miyagi says, "...beginner luck..."

I had a similar shot on a prairie dog in Colorado as a kid. One of my favorite memories. I'm sure this will be one of yours.

Congratulations!!

baylorattorney
April 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
Let me get this straight. A bird in its natural habitat doing what it naturally does was bothering you so you shot it. I assume you are aware of the legality of such an action? Aren't those considered migratory birds? Did you eat them? .

Yeah, that's called my natural habitat. Lol. You are more than welcome to come eat it. I'll put it in the freezer for you. ;)

baylorattorney
April 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
Grackles are legitimate pests too btw. Ask any city.

baylorattorney
April 24, 2012, 07:36 PM
http://bwfov.typepad.com/birders_world_field_of_vi/2007/08/how-to-get-rid-.html.

PESTS. now I feel even less guilty.... Thanks

TNboy
April 24, 2012, 07:54 PM
They're pests, just like coyotes, hogs, starlings, mice, cockroaches, and flys, if you can wrap your mind around that.

Driftertank
April 25, 2012, 01:30 AM
Never heard of Grackles before. Sounds like something Shel Silverstein would come up with. Or a euphemism for staccatto farts...

Learn somethin new everyday.

baylorattorney
April 25, 2012, 01:44 AM
Hahaha. Staccato farts! Lol.

baylorattorney
April 25, 2012, 01:46 AM
J-bar, you know that shot on that gopher required some skill.

moewadle
April 25, 2012, 02:20 AM
Starlings and English Sparrows must be considered pests because it is legal to kill them at any time and to destroy their nests.

hardluk1
April 25, 2012, 09:14 AM
I Guess you have no reason for humans to live or to be on the ground with in the next 1 or so down range.??? Any bullets you fire like that do come back to earth a couple seconds later some ways off and may hit something like a house or someone just out for a walk in the woods.. But hitting a crow in general at a 100 yards with bulk ammo is a OK shoot. quess if your standing free hand that would make for a good shot but keep it to ground level. less chance of hitting a powerline, cable or phone line. Get some golf balls and walk them around at 100 yards.

HOOfan_1
April 25, 2012, 09:52 AM
Starlings and English Sparrows must be considered pests because it is legal to kill them at any time and to destroy their nests.

Both of those are non-native species.

Grackles are native

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/mar/14/grackles-getting-to-you-before-you-grab-the-gun/

JFrame
April 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
Grackles swarm and take over our bird feeders like a renegade biker gang taking over a small town.

Keep up the good work ridding our landscape of the vermin...

Mikee Loxxer
April 25, 2012, 10:28 AM
The Common Grackle is protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. That means you shouldn't be shooting them no matter how annoying they are.

ApacheCoTodd
April 25, 2012, 10:29 AM
Noisy little staccato fartin' birds.... so, what was the backstop?

J-Bar
April 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
The Common Grackle is protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. That means you shouldn't be shooting them no matter how annoying they are.
Could you please post a link to a reference on this? I mean the part where grackles are protected by this law, because I can't find them on the list.

loose noose
April 25, 2012, 10:45 AM
Poor Dead Grackle, Hahaha. Here in Nevada they are definitely a nuisance, taking over the bird feeders is only one of the problems, how about defecating on my cars and truck.:fire:

ApacheCoTodd
April 25, 2012, 10:50 AM
All the "migratory" means to me is that part of the year - they're someone else's problem. They do learn though, giving the screech-nasties a taste of my full auto airsoft kept them outa the yard for years.

MtnCreek
April 25, 2012, 11:05 AM
Was this "wire" you shot the bird off some sort of utility line?
Yep! I learned overhead phone lines have hundreds of pairs and are costly to re-splice after a .22 hit.

CoRoMo
April 25, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hunting legitimate pests is just fine.
True.
Killing because something is bothering you with noise is...
...a legitimate pest, and then we're back to the first quote.

Heckuva shot baylorattorney, kudos!

HOOfan_1
April 25, 2012, 11:20 AM
Could you please post a link to a reference on this? I mean the part where grackles are protected by this law, because I can't find them on the list.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html#g

but as the article I posted above states....justification for killing them is pretty broad.

ColtPythonElite
April 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then...

Mikee Loxxer
April 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Here you go J-Bar

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

ghitch75
April 25, 2012, 01:42 PM
i do the same with Blue-jays here.....no 100y shots.....there like a gang of angry teenagers!!!...they run all my nice birds off!!!....nice shot btw!!!!

hardluk1
April 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Under conditions ,they are legal to hunt in most any states ,deal with it . Some thought should be put into the way it was shot. Off a powerline or telephone or cable with what knowledge of what was down range. Even a 22 can do damage when hitting someone 1/2 or 1 mile mile down range . He could sit his rear in a stand and shoot to the ground with the .22lr .

Certaindeaf
April 25, 2012, 01:50 PM
The one bird I know of to always shoot anytime is the Starling.. the black one.

Humakavula
April 25, 2012, 01:56 PM
Killing because you are annoyed is disgusting. I don't see this as being very "high road".

MtnSpur
April 25, 2012, 02:26 PM
Grackles are nefarious disease carrying pests that many towns and cities in Texas are invaded by every year. Local codes prohibit discharging firearms in these places and they have resorted to nets, propane cannons and other methods to discourage their nesting habits. Out in the country we regularly discharge shotguns to keep them away BUT (and you knew there was a but coming, huh?) shooting off a utility line isn't the smartest move. Besides not knowing where your .22 bullet will end up, severing an electrical or telephone line is annoying to your fellow citizens. We had a neighbor about 1/2 mile away that thought it great to teach his kids to shoot birds off the utility lines. After severing one telephone wire and one electrical line he was billed by both utilities for the repair which was north of $5000 per line.

ColtPythonElite
April 25, 2012, 04:37 PM
Killing because you are annoyed is disgusting. I don't see this as being very "high road".
How about killing for sport?

Coyote3855
April 25, 2012, 05:08 PM
Doesn't matter why if it's against the law. I don't think that's been established, although in Texas...

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/mar/14/grackles-getting-to-you-before-you-grab-the-gun/

gym
April 25, 2012, 10:41 PM
Can't shoot a poor little bird, for no reason, and without knowing where the bullet landed.

Voltia
April 25, 2012, 11:40 PM
1. It's a .22. People that claim of significant damages from a ballistic .22 can cite sources, else it's BS.

2. Pest bird, on his property. He can do what he wants with it, and all the tightey-whitied moral superiority in the world matters not one bit.

3. Without fail, people that cite "high road" are those furthest from it.

Peace.

baylorattorney
April 26, 2012, 12:13 AM
Haha. <removed> ^^^ thank u

JTHunter
April 26, 2012, 12:27 AM
As a suggestion to the OP, how about a decent quality air rifle at closer range instead of the risky .22?

That was still a good "Hail Mary" shot. Had something similar years ago while hunting rabbits in January. Cold as a well-digger's heart with several inches of snow topped with a half inch of ice walking on some RR tracks. Had a bunny hop out to the right-hand side of the tracks and give me a perfect profile. Shucked out the lo-brass #6 shell in the chamber and put in a hi-brass #4, drew down and held about halfway between head and eartips and just in front. When I fired, he just flopped over! Ran like a madman on that bloody ice, racking in another round (just in case) and claimed my prize. Paced it off back to where I had been and it was just over 40 yds. Weirdest thing was that, when I cleaned the rabbit, there was no shot in the body anywhere!
Go figure!

TennJed
April 26, 2012, 12:27 AM

Reminds me of a girl who told me that wearing leather was disgusting. don't know if she is high road or low road, but that is not a road I want to be on.

Humans can and always will cause animal deaths. I assume you live in a treetop, because if you live on land that has been cleared off and structures built on it, then some animals died because of lost habitat. Some people might find killing animals for "comfort" disgusting.

The word disgusting is based on ones personal beliefs and opinions. Keep things in prespective.

baylorattorney
April 26, 2012, 12:33 AM
I have no neighbors to speak of and it was actually atop the pole and not on a wire. You only have to drop one or two for the other 100 or so to bug out. Owl decoys don't work. Grackles destroy nests of other birds like dove, so they just don't annoy me, they mess with ranch income derived from day dove hunts, etc.

Humakavula
April 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
you guys can attack me for my personal opinion all you want. It doesn't change my stance that killing something because you don't like the noise it makes is wrong.

I've cleared grackles myself without killing them.

baylorattorney
April 26, 2012, 01:03 AM
It's not just the noise regarding grackles. I don't necessarily disagree with your position, but it's more than noise. They are a destructive force to a rancher.

JTHunter
April 26, 2012, 01:32 AM
Don't forget that their roosting sites are a public health hazard due to the incidence of histoplasmosis because of their guano.

writerinmo
April 26, 2012, 03:18 AM
If he was that far away, it wasn't the noise that it makes that irritated him to the point of shooting it, obviously. And pests are normally eradicated by many methods, some articles point to using falcons to take them down, which would probably be by many to be considered to be hunting for "sport'', and done because of the grackles status as a pest.

No matter what you do, or how you do it, there will be critics. Nice shot. I shot many a starling as a kid growing up in Kansas, but I could safely use my .22 as our nearest neighbor was five miles or more in every direction. And I too, shot them for the pests that they are. Didn't eat them, so I guess that would make my guilty of "sport hunting"? Ah well...I suppose I'll survive all the harsh judgements...

HoosierQ
April 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
Beats the holy hell out of poisoning pests...I'll say that. Poison, that is the worst and should be reserved for insects. I don't even like poisoning rats and mice (for one thing dogs and cats catch them, eat them, and are in turn poisoned). I don't like those glue traps. BUT, I am all about the good old fashioned snap trap...CRACK...dead rat! Ditto mouse...but I won't poison them. I've shot 'em, clobbered one with a shovel when I was 10 or so.

I also support the laws we see out West that outlawed poisoning coyotes. You got coyote problems..."choot 'em E-Lizabet".

I think some of the controvery here is species. I wonder if we are talking grackles vs starlings. Starlings are an "exotic species" introduced from Europe and they've taken over. They flock in huge flocks. From a distance they look black. Up close, they are covered with little spots and have yellow beaks. A grackle is bigger, more aerodynamic looking (starlings look kind of plump). From a distance, they look all black and are shaped more or less like small crows. Up close, you will see a black body and a very, very dark purple and subtley irridescent plumage on the head...black beak.

Grackles are native birds to America but they have expanded their number greatly due to the change in the land.

Squeaky Wheel
April 26, 2012, 09:46 AM
I'm all for reducing the number of grackles and starlings (oh, and blue jays also). Lest anyone think I'm anti-bird, I wish that I could see more purple martins, hummingbirds, and cardinals (oh, and bald eagles too).

Btw -- good shot!

JFrame
April 26, 2012, 10:14 AM
I'm all for reducing the number of grackles and starlings (oh, and blue jays also). Lest anyone think I'm anti-bird, I wish that I could see more purple martins, hummingbirds, and cardinals (oh, and bald eagles too).

Btw -- good shot!

Ditto! Our property abuts wetlands, and my wife and I were blessed enough to see a woodcock -- an incredibly rare sighting, per a local avian expert. We host chickadees, gold finches, woodpeckers, a barred owl, hawks, doves, cardinals, hummingbirds, robins, and other birds that don't occur to me at the moment.

I wasn't a "bird person" until moving here...Now, I'm captivated by them all -- except those freakin' grackles! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/big_standart/scare3.gif

M.Weier
April 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
Nice shot!.......that is all

hardluk1
April 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
Now show us some 100 yard target to see what your ruger will do at a hundred yards. Most 10/22 rebarrels .22lrs can shoot inside 2" with lots of ammo.

GambJoe
April 27, 2012, 02:50 PM
Here in Texas we have a few. I'm no real fan of them they not only take over feeders but take over other birds habitat by their numbers. One flew into my car once and craked my headlight. His two companions seemed to mourn his demise. They are social like Ravens and Crows.

But is it safe to shoot even a rimfire at an elevation. I'm assuming the shooter was shooting up at them. What was happening beyond his target?

bk42261
April 27, 2012, 06:55 PM
When I was taught to shoot, I was taught to NEVER shoot over ROADS, BUILDINGS, OR ANYPLACE AROUND POWER LINES. What is wrong w/you???????????

oldcelt
April 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
My 10/22 ruger carbine shoots really great with that Federal bulk stuff, but it only shoots legal game

Jim NE
April 28, 2012, 01:43 AM
Shoot those grackles. Can't stand 'em.

exavid
April 28, 2012, 02:20 AM
Nice shot. Probably was one of those false grackles anyway, lots of them are really starlings disguising themselves as grackles to keep people from shooting them. Good job penetrating the diabolical plot and getting one anyway. In years past I used to spend more time than I like to think about finding shorts in an aerial communication cable at Kotzebue, Alaska. The Eskimo kids like to shoot birds off the cable with .22s and a lot of them tended to shoot too low. Lots of fun finding .22 holes in a 55 pair lead shielded cable 30' above the ground in a strong wind. I did get some use out of the damaged sections, melted the lead off and made bullets out of it.

baylorattorney
April 28, 2012, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the compliments.

LKB3rd
April 28, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yep! I learned overhead phone lines have hundreds of pairs and are costly to re-splice after a .22 hit.

I do repair for the telco, and I haven't had to repair a shot up cable, but one of my co-workers has. It can be anywhere from 25 up to 600 pairs generally in an aerial cable. If you tear up a 600 pair cable, it's going to be a couple days of work fixing it, at the least. More depending on how extensive the damage.

baylorattorney
April 28, 2012, 01:23 PM
Overhead phone lines? We don't have any of those on this ranch.

goon
April 28, 2012, 02:15 PM
Not really a surprise that you could make a hit at that distance with a .22LR. I think your chances with even just a stock 10/22 would have been better than you might think. I shoot .22LR at 100 yards on a weekly or so basis and the little round still has surprising power and accuracy at that distance.

Redlg155
April 29, 2012, 07:58 PM
You could get the ACLU to pay your legal bill for killing them if they had little white crosses on their wings.
Sorry... I'm just ill after reading about the ACLU suing to have a Native American Veterans Memorial removed off federal property.

baylorattorney
April 30, 2012, 07:58 AM
The ACLU doesn't come this far south.

Sav .250
April 30, 2012, 08:30 AM
"A windy day." Either that was one great shot or one really lucky shot.
Your call.......:)

mquail
April 30, 2012, 10:06 AM
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2010-title50-vol6/xml/CFR-2010-title50-vol6-sec21-43.xml

A Federal permit shall not be required to control yellow-headed red-winged, rusty, and Brewer's blackbirds, cowbirds, all grackles, crows, and magpies, when found committing or about to commit depredations upon ornamental or shade trees, agricultural crops, livestock, or wildlife, or when concentrated in such numbers and manner as to constitute a health hazard or other nuisance: Provided:

b) That any person exercising any of the privileges granted by this section shall permit at all reasonable times including during actual operations, any Federal or State game or deputy game agent, warden, protector, or other game law enforcement officer free and unrestricted access over the premises on which such operations have been or are being conducted; and shall furnish promptly to such officer whatever information he may require, concerning said operations

Looks to me if a warden wants to watch you'll have to let him/her.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 firing bulk ammo grackle kill 100+ yards" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!