winchester m70 classic value?

PDA

csa77
April 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
I have a 7mm mag Winchester model 70 classic SM(synthetic matte) with the factory boss brake im thinking of listing on my local paper was just wondering what sorta price I should list it for. i check gunbroker and gunsamerica but the prices are all over the place.
i plan on removing the Leupold scope, mount and rings since i see alot of hunters using Simmons type scopes. I dont think they will see the value in the VXIII 3.5x10 50mm might see can fit it on my up coming vepr

the rifle has had less then 30-35 rounds though it and is rust free.

If you enjoyed reading about "winchester m70 classic value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dubya450
April 25, 2012, 01:18 AM
Do you know the year of manufacture? And it looks like a CRF action. The new version of that rifle is the m70 ultimate shadow I believe. Its basically the exact same rifle minus the boss brake and the MSRP is $799.99 but I've seen them brand new at Gander for $649 recently. In no way am i intending to insult you, just trying to be helpful, but with how well built the new FN made m70's are and all the great reviews on them you might have a hard time getting much more than $450, maybe $500 considering a new FN one is $650 and possibly cheaper (Gander is over priced on EVERYTHING lol). If it were me I'd probably either list it on gun broker with a $500 reserve and see how high it goes or if in the paper just try $600. You never know maybe it'll sell fast but I'm no expert by any means! Whatever you do don't sell it to a store like Gander or cabelas because they'll only pay you 60% of resale value which is a joke. I sold one gun to Gander and will never again. It was a BAR I paid 920 for decided I didn't want it anymore after a year and they offered me $420 which means they were supposedly going yo re sell it for $700 and I went in a few weeks later to see it on the shelf for $899!! Crooks ... :banghead:

jmr40
April 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
Sell the scope separately, it will bring $300 or so. The rifle is highly sought after, and will bring a premium, but with a small market. It will be hard to find a buyer, but I've seen those go for $800 used. To the average Joe who doesn't understand subtle differences in various Winchesters it would bring around $500 and you may have to go that low unless you just find the right person. That is unlikely in the local classifieds in the paper.

Two things set this rifle apart from current production. #1 the BOSS system. It is either love it, or hate it. That will severely limit who is even interested in the rifle. I wouldn't buy it at any price because of it, but there are shooters who will pay a premium to get it and it is not available on new guns. #2, it has the old style trigger. The new FN produced guns have a different style trigger. Many guys much prefer the older style and will pay a premium to get a stainless CRF rifle with the older style trigger.

The gun will bring at least $600-$700, but you have to show it where there are shooters who understand the differences between this gun and an average gun. I'd try some of the classified ads on some of the hunting forums, particularly some of the forums that cater to long range hunting. If it were in a different caliber, w/o the BOSS system I'd gladly pay $600 for the rifle and might go as high as $700. I'd ditch the plastic stock and put a McMillan on it and have $1,100 -$1,200 in a gun that is much better than current manufacture and have less money in it. A new Winchester EW sells for about $1,200 +tax and comes with a cheap B&C stock on it.

TurtlePhish
April 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
The best way to see just how high it'll go is a $0.01, no reserve auction on Gunbroker... try at your own risk.

rbernie
April 25, 2012, 08:03 AM
The ones marked over $700 locally never sell. The ones marked between $500 and $600 sell.

dubya450
April 25, 2012, 12:54 PM
Jmr40 if you don't mind asking,what part of the country are you in? I picked up both my extreme weathers for under 1k+tax. Just curious because I've heard of them going even cheaper in different areas but never as high as msrp. And I also think the "cheap" b&c stock is way nicer than most any other synthetic stock I've held on a factory gun with the exception of the kimber montana stock, but not by much.

Craigman
April 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
And I also think the "cheap" b&c stock is way nicer than most any other synthetic stock I've held on a factory gun with the exception of the kimber montana stock, but not by much.

I think he was emphasizing that it's not as nice as a McMillan

dubya450
April 25, 2012, 08:01 PM
Understandable but then you're looking at $1500 .. for that price I personally would rather get a kimber montana or a sako. To each his own.

If you enjoyed reading about "winchester m70 classic value?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!